  1) Conversion time line?
        by Seth Rothenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: EV Conversion HELP for Montana
  3) Re: Testing Contactors - Results
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EV Conversion HELP for Montana
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Bizarre Amphour Meter Idea
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Bizarre Amphour Meter Idea
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Testing Contactors - Results
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Denver EV Council still around?
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Denver EV Council still around?
        by "Dale Curren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Testing Contactors - Results
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) PM motor
 12) Re:Paralleling EUs
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: EV cheaper than gas per mile
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: EV Conversion HELP for Montana
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Powerizer NiMH 10 AH D cells
 16) Re: EV cheaper than gas per mile
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Conversion time line?
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: EV cheaper than gas per mile
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Angle Iron to Chassis
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: EV cheaper than gas per mile
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) GEM Justice
 22) RE: Testing Contactors - Results
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) NEDRA Election Underway
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Conversion time line?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: NEDRA Election Underway
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: NEDRA Election Underway
        by Andrew Letton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: EV cheaper than gas per mile
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) RE: Conversion time line?
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) NEDRA Election Result Dates (correction)
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Does anyone have notes on where the time is spent
in converting a car?

I have heard estimates of 100 to 200 hours, but
I was wondering what percentage of that is
demolition and what percent is construction.

Thanks
Seth

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The Iota Power supplies seem to work well at 120v I use one at 144v but cut it out during charging. They are relatively inexpensive and can be purchased on ebay. If your needs are small a simple variac and diode bridge will work. However if you want quick charging and have a couple of grand to blow a Rudman charger is a good idea. Also I think hitting a pack with high current makes the batteries last longer. So spending more on a charger might be a way of making your batteries last a bit longer. Lawrence Rhodes.

herb wrote:
As near as I can tell the nearest chapter of the EEA is in Washington
State so that is why this email is heading your way.
My name is Herb, I live in Billings Montana and am about half finished
with the conversion of my 1990 For Ranger over to 120 volt DC. be finished in the late spring of 2006. I am looking for advice on the
purchase of both my battery charger and DC to DC converter. I have spent
a lot of time researching on the internet but would really like to here
from people who are actually using these devices and can give me an
honest opinion.  am quite possibly the only person in Montana doing a
conversion at this time so local resources on the subject do not exist.
Most people give me a blank stare when they hear that Im in the middle
of an EV project. Im really hoping to spark some interest in electric
vehicles here in Montana and maybe get an EEA chapter started here in
Billings Montana. Sincerely, Herb Welch

--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association

ProEV wrote:
> We set up the software... so that the DC/DC boost charger is turned
> on after the relays close and off before the relays open. We did this
> because we thought it might increase the life of the relays if they
> did not have to break any current.

That's how you should do it. I do the same thing in my Balancer. The
relays will last their mechanical life, which is typically 10 times
longer than its life switching rated load.

> In your experience, to clean the relay's contacts, do we need to open or
> close them under higher loads or will just running current through them
> suffice?

You only run into problems if the relays switch at ZERO voltage and
current -- called a "dry circuit". But your battery is always supplying
voltage, and the output of your DC/DC converter inevitably has a filter
capacitor and some resistance to discharge it when it is off. So, when
your relay closes, a momentary pulse of current will flow to charge that
capacitor. This provides the small voltage and current to keep the
contacts clean.

Note that if your DC/DC has a *big* output capacitor, the current as the
contacts close could be *higher* than the relay's rated load current. If
this is the case, their life could be *shorter* by switching when the
DC/DC is off!

The ideal setup would probably be a blocking diode and small lossy
capacitor, like a 1uF electrolytic. Then you know what the peak current
is that your contacts switch.

Here are some EV parts vendors, in more or less random order :

http://www.kta-ev.com/

http://www.evparts.com

http://www.electroauto.com/

http://www.metricmind.com/

http://www.ev-america.com/

http://www.cloudelectric.com/

Sorry if I omitted any; these are the ones I had in my bookmarks.

Brusa chargers are very high quality but somewhat costly.  They are
available through Metric Mind.  Solectria chargers are comparable; they are
available through Electro Automotive.  Zivan chargers are cheap but more
troublesome.  They are available through most dealers above.  Chargers such
as PFC (Manzanita) and Russco, also widely available, provide good service
at relatively low prices.  However, they are not isolated from the power
line, so they require greater care in use to prevent electric shock.  For
safety, you must purchase an external GFCI for the Manzanita chargers.  The
Russco chargers have GFCIs built in.

The above dealers also sell DC:DC converters to suit EVs.  Sevcon, Brusa,
and Solectria are all good, reliable brands, but there are others.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please use evadm at drmm period net.

At 11:56 AM 3/19/2006, you wrote:
Mike Chancey wrote:
<< snip >>

> So, a thought comes to mind.  Drive a small DC motor from a feed off a
> custom shunt on the main battery feed to the controller.  The higher
> the current draw, the faster the motor turns.  The motor could either
> drive a clock type mechanism and move hands on a dial, or it could
> drive an odometer type mechanism.
>
> I know it is nuts, but I had to share the idea.

No, it's not nuts at all if you want that sort of display.

I'd use a battery powered clock to provide the motor and gear train.
These things have a single coil that you just pulse with about 1 volt at
0.030ma. Each pulse advances the clock 1 second. These motors will
actually run much faster, up to 20-30 pulses per second (and of course,
as slow as you like).

Use a precision voltage-to-frequency converter chip, like the LM331 or
AD537. It converts the voltage across your shunt to frequency. This
frequency drives the crystal input of the divider chip in the clock
(it's normally a 32 KHz crystal). Pick your V-to-F chip's resistor and
capacitor for the desired countdown rate and you have it!

How about if instead of a clock you feed the pulses into a bicycle computer. The speed display would be the current amperage, most of them also have average and peak speeds. The ones I have seen have a speed display up to 99.9 so you would likely want to calibrate it so that 10.0 mph was 100 amps, the odometer display X10 would then be amp hours, I am not sure what the unit would do with an input of less then 0.1 mph it may not accumulate on the odometer. Last time I looked the cheap ones were about $7 so that makes up for the limited resolution on the amperage.

__________
Andre' B. Clear Lake, Wi.
Andre' Blanchard wrote:
> How about if instead of a clock you feed the pulses into a bicycle
> computer?

That's clever. I like it!

Lee,

Thanks for the reply.

<> You only run into problems if the relays switch at ZERO voltage and
current -- called a "dry circuit". But your battery is always supplying
voltage,

Does this mean that the basic circuit connecting battery and basically an LED (one side of the analog opo-isolator) is enough to keep the contacts clean since it is not a truly "dry circuit"-not zero voltage and the diode uses milli-amps?

<and the output of your DC/DC converter inevitably has a filter
capacitor and some resistance to discharge it when it is off. So, when
your relay closes, a momentary pulse of current will flow to charge that
capacitor. This provides the small voltage and current to keep the
contacts clean.

I ask since we are using a 1 lead per battery system, we do not have the dc/dc connected when the battery relays close.

Step 1 Close two relays and read the battery voltage through analog opt-isolator and then decide whether to turn on the DC/DC charger. Step 2 Determine polarity of connection to battery (with one lead per battery system, first battery reads positive, second reads negative, etc.). Step 3 Close pair of relays that connect chosen battery to correct polarity on dc/dc charger.
Step 4    Turn on dc/dc charger.

Cliff
www.ProEV.com

Dale,

I try the link in your signature (http://www.devc.org/), but get a "Not Found The requested document was not found on this server.".
-Ryan

** Reply to message from "Garret Maki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Sun, 19 Mar
2006 09:35:27 -0500
this is a contact
Mike  Bachand
Denver Electric Vehicle Council (DEVC)
Board Member, Web  Administration and Newsletter Editor
Kawasaki Ninja EV
_http://www.devc.org_ (http://www.devc.org/) [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dale Curren

--
- EV Source <http://www.evsource.com> -
Selling names like Zilla, PFC Chargers, and WarP Motors

** Reply to message from Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Mon, 20 Mar 2006
09:38:28 -0700

> Dale,
>
> I try the link in your signature (http://www.devc.org/), but get a "Not
> Found The requested document was not found on this server.".

> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]

try the email address.

Dale Curren

ProEV wrote:
> Does this mean that the basic circuit connecting battery and
> basically an LED (one side of the analog opo-isolator) is enough
> to keep the contacts clean since it is not a truly "dry circuit"
> -- not zero voltage and the diode uses milli-amps?

How much current does the circuit draw? Depending on the size of the
contact, a circuit is considered "dry" is below about 10ma. If the
current is only 1ma or so, then I'd put a small capacitor across the LED
and resistor to cause a momentary current pulse.

If your relays always switch dry (never arc), then get them with gold
contacts. Gold does not corrode, and so does not suffer from poor
connections in dry circuits. But it has a low melting point; gold
contacts will stick if they arc. You won't find high power relays with
gold contacts; but you can get "gold flashed" contacts even in high
power relays; the thin gold coating allows them to switch dry, but the
bulk of the contact is some other metal to save cost. If you ever do arc
the contacts, there is so little gold that it just burns off rather than
sticks. That contact now behaves the same as if the gold wasn't there.

http://www.enigmaindustries.com/PMG_132/PMG_132.htm

Or you can do it the Right way.

Exactly the way Dennis Beurbe is going to do on his Strip/Street truck.
Get a pair of Honda EU 2000s, and then buy the Cable that lets them play
together. It's called a Sync Cable, and you let Honda do the engineering.

Job Done.

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro

  From: "Janet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GEM Justice

Last night as I was driving home (one lane each direction) the car behind me decided it couldn't stand being behind me (but 25 mph residential speed limit) so sped up and passed me, crossing the double yellow line. Right as she did, I noticed a police car parked on the other side of the road! The cop saw what had happened and made a U-turn right behind me. He activated his lights and sirens and pulled the car over. When I passed them I made sure to give a "beep! beep!" Ha! It's nice to see the cops recognizing us (in a good way). I hope he didn't just give her a warning (`cause I only get tickets!).
--Janet

Lee Hart [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Depending on the size of the contact, a circuit is
> considered "dry" is below about 10ma.

Check the datasheet for your particular relays to see if they specify a
minimum current or not.  The 40A automotive relays used in some of our
chargers specify a minimum close current of 1A; your 30A relays may be
similar.

If you close the relay dry you will find that the closed resistance is
much higher than spec and varies significantly from one closure to
another.  Typically the datasheet will specify a maximum power
dissipation for the contacts, and if you switch them dry and measure the
resistance you can then figure out if the load you plan to run through
them will exceed their power handling capability or not.  If you are
running much less current than the relay is rated for, you may be able
to get away with switching them dry.  Most likely, you will find that
you must switch them with some small load to ensure they will have a
repeatable, sufficiently low closed resistance.

Hello everyone,

Elections for NEDRA President and Vice President are underway.

The NEDRA membership nominated Brian Hall and Shawn Lawless to run as President and "Neon" John De Armond and Don "Father Time" Crabtreerun as Vice President.

Candidate statements are available on the NEDRA Website.

Ballots were sent out by certified mail March 15 to the NEDRA Membership for the second phase of the election. Those ballots are due in by midnight April 15, 2006. So drop that in the mail along with your tax returns.

An anonymous third party will be counting the ballots and they will announce the election results on April 16, 2006.

We encourage all eligible NEDRA members who received a ballot to vote in this final phase of the election so that we can move forward and continue to provide "World Class Electric Drag Racing."

If you have any questions/comments concerning the election contact
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Chip Gribben
NEDRA Webmaster
http://www.nedra.com

Hello Mark,

After you think your conversion is completed, then you may want to add this
or subtract that and may what to convert some more.  It's a on going
process.

If you install a traction motor that is a direct replacement for the engine,
which uses the same engine mounts, this only took about a hour to install.
The GE traction motor comes pre-assemble from GE so
it bolts directly to a transmission and bolts to the same engine mounts of a
350 cu.in. engine.

A complete motor controller that is pre-wire with a plug in accelerator
control is about 2 hours. The motor controller bolted directly to the
firewall with standoff supports.

My batteries came pre-assemble in two aluminum battery boxes that had angle
supports that bolted directly to the frame with Power Anderson connectors.
Took all day to install. These boxes were lifted up from the bottom of the
car.

Battery charger was pre-assemble with Power Anderson connectors which are
plug into the connectors. Was bolt down in the trunk of the car. which is
about a hour.

Had only two meters on the dash, a battery amp and volt meter.  Another day
to make aluminum dash plates and install the wires through the wire loom or
plastic flexible conduits.

It took about one day to install the Sterwart Warner South Wind Gas heater
for the heating system. Did not like the ideal of gas in a
EV.

It took about two hours to install the DC to DC motor generator which
provided 13.5 to 16 volts DC and was double shaft to power the power
steering and vacuum pump.  This whole unit was pre-assemble by HoneyWell
Company.

This was all done by a crew of 4 people at the time.  Therefore If done by 1
person, than it would take about 4 times or more as long.  If you had to
modified the suspensions, transmissions, and any motor mounting locations,
you may be talking about another 30 days depending on fast you what to work
and the time to order all the
components you need.

This was all done with a new car body that was modified and was deliver with
out any engines. You will have to add time for removing all the items out of
the ICE vehicle. This took me a week in another car and another two weeks to
sand blast and repaint the car.

The number of additions I added since then:

1.  Install external blower fan on motor.
2.  Install external blower fan on controller.
3.  Install explosive proof (all plastic total enclose type) exhaust
    fan for battery boxes.
4.  Install cooling fans for battery charger compartments.
5.  Remove the gas heater which for heating heater core water.
6.  Install electric hot water heater for defroster.
7.  Install two under cab heaters under the dash.
8.  Install two safety contactors that are between the battery and
    the controller.
9.  Install one DC contactor between the battery charger and the
    batteries.
10. Install one AC contactor between the AC input plug and the
    battery charger, which drops out when you unplug the AC cord or
    if connected, the main controller ignition will not work.
11. Install a on board GFI circuit breakers between the AC input
    plug and battery charger.
12. Replace the aluminum battery boxes with epoxy coated fiberglass
    type so as to isolated the batteries from the frame.
13. Install the battery charger, contactors, fuses, and terminal
    power blocks in a fiberglass enclosure so as to isolated the
    AC grounded battery charger from the frame of the car.
14. Install a aluminum frame work, to hold a DC-DC-AC converter-
    inverter, power steering, vacuum pump that can either run off
    the pilot shaft of the main motor thru a in and out clutch or
    by the HoneyWell motor generator that is power from the main
    battery pack.  This is used to provide some type of
    mechanical regen to slow the EV going down steep icy hills.

15. Install a E-meter
16. Install motor amp meter (still have to install a motor volt
    meter)
17. Install 12 VDC amp and volt meters for the DC-DC converter.
18. Install 120 VAC amp and volt meters for the DC-AC inverter.
19. Install 240 VAC amp and volt meters for the battery charger.
20. Install 240 VDC amp and volt meters for the battery charger.

21. Replace the on-board  SCR battery charger with a PFC type.
22. Replace the SCR motor controller with a Zilla.
23. Install a water cooling system for the Zilla.
24. Build and Install a speed control and RPM indications.

And it go's on and on and on and on................

> >Does anyone have notes on where the time is spent
> >in converting a car?
> >
> >I have heard estimates of 100 to 200 hours, but
> >I was wondering what percentage of that is
> >demolition and what percent is construction.
> >

> I would say maybe 2-5% is removing components.  Taking a car apart
> (especially when a lot of the pieces will not be going back in) is
> pretty easy.  Plan on a weekend for engine removal, and a few weeknights
> of exhaust system, draining fluids and disconnecting hoses.  A lot of EV
> conversions never get far past the disassembly stage, becuase its easy
> and fast, and can be done by nearly anyone.  The hard/slow stuff is
> building/designing the new parts.  You will spend a lot of time
> fabricating battery racks and the like.  If someone wants to do a
> conversion fast I often recommend doing a light pickup with the
> batteries inside the bed, since building the racks is much simpler (a
> big metal box bolts thru the bed into the frame rails).  Then the only
> major fabrication task is motor mounts and the adapter, both of which
> can be purchased.
>
> Without a doubt the people who have a background in metal fabrication
> (or close connections to someone who does) have the easiest time and
> produce the nicest conversions.  (And yet most conversions are started
> by people like myself with an electrical/electronics background and
> little actual fabrication skills)
>
> Mark Farver

An anonymous third party will be counting the ballots and they will announce the election results on April 16, 2006.

I know I shouldn't respond to this, as we all have gotten way more Nedra **** then we deserve, but pretend like this isn't Nedra for a minute and allow me my bit of compulsive humor in regards to the above statement.

So on April 16 when I announce the results of the election how will anyone know whether I am the anonymous 3d party or not????

damon

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I just have to point out that if ballots get dropped in the mail April 15th with tax returns, they won't be counted by April 16th!

I assume that unlike tax returns, the ballots must be _received_ by April 15th, not just postmarked.

cheers,

Andrew (NEDRA charter member...whose ballot is already in the mail.)

Chip Gribben wrote:

[...]

--- Begin Message --- You are correct, but something I'd like to point out is that the energy industry is due to be de-regulated very soon.

I learned this when I had the Baltimore Gas & Electric rep over to my house so I could buy new energy-efficient windows. He stated the new, triple-pane, argon-injected windows would cut my bill by 50%. Then he mumbled something about the de-regulation. I pinned him down on it and he confessed that energy de-regulation is coming (didn't know exactly when) and that electricity prices would be going up, but that residents would have a greater choice of suppliers. Whoopie! That's like having a choice between Exxon-Mobile and Shell, or BP. Who cares? It's all over-priced.

Soooooooo....what this means is, the cost of our "fuel" will be going up, but hey, so too will the price of gasoline as you pointed out, so we will always be ahead, however marginally and we will always be cleaner. Heck, even BMW's new ICE hydrogen engine due out in 2008 will require oil changes and coolant and we still won't.

Of course I'm just dying to slap a grid-tie PV system on my roof so that I'll have the same price for vehicle energy no matter what the industry does but I'm agonizing over whether or not I'll generate enough on my little townhouse roof and whether or not I should just save my cash until/if I move back to Florida where the sun is and I can afford a home with a decent size roof.

Right now I'm cutting my teeth on a 25 year old Comuta-Van. Of course it looks like a clown-car and is everything people hate about EV's. I hope to begin my Karmann Ghia conversion next year and make a real car.

Cheers,

Rich A.
Maryland

From: Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: EV cheaper than gas per mile
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:06:49 -0800

Today I made an interesting calculation, to see how my EV
does in cost per mile, in comparison to a gas car.
The numbers may be different for each of you and the
values are far from final, as I am still breaking in my
batteries, so only time will tell if I am close to reality.
Still my educated guesses for my US Electricar S-10 are:
(I expect to drive 8,000 miles per year)
(I do not take depreciation into account - should cancel out
as they should be equal between the two vehicles.
Also the tires and other costs which are equal between the
two types, I have omitted.)

EV truck 'investments':
$2200 for a new AGM pack, expecting it to last 3 years or
 24,000 miles (500 cycles). This is $733/year or $0.09/mi
$100 reserved per year for occasional service, new steering
 pump or water pump, not much to tune up. This adds $0.01/mi

EV truck fuel costs:
400Wh per mile and recharging at 5.8c per kWh plus some
charging inefficiencies mean that electricity is $0.03/mi

EV truck total per mile:
$0.13/mi

Gas truck 'investments':
Oil and filter changes, tune-up engine, new pumps, starter,
alternator, belts, hoses, exhaust, smog check and repairs,
12V battery, O2 sensor, timing chain/belt, gaskets, ....
I estimate this on an average of $500 per year, though a
single repair can exceed this in labor cost. $0.06/mi
(Note the repairs add up to almost a battery pack in 3 years)

Gas truck fuel costs:
20 MPG is a very conservative estimate, most trucks will be
closer to 15 MPG, but let's say I drive conservatively.
Fuel cost: $2.60 per gal and rising, this is $0.13/mi
(NOTE: this is the TOTAL of the EV!)

Gas truck total per mile:
$0.19/mi

So this means that I am saving money AND I am good for the
environment, only because the gas prices have taken such a
hike! Note that with gas prices below $1.50/gal, the EV is
not cheaper than the gas truck, although the environment
does not agree to that way of thinking.
Note that cars which get more than 40 MPG are hard to beat
with an EV, even though the electricity is still less per
mile, the cost of a new pack is offsetting the prices.

BTW I noticed an interesting pattern in the US gas prices.
When you go to the website that plots gas prices of different
areas and you select the 3-year period of either San Jose or US
http://www.sanjosegasprices.com/retail_price_chart.aspx
then you see that every Newyear the prices hit a bottom.
Every year this bottom is at least 30 cents higher.
Expectations: 2006 will continue with prices above $2.40
2007 will start with a bottom price of $2.40, then climb to
the $2.70 - $3 region
2008 will start with a bottom at $2.70, then the prices
will climb above $3 and never return.
My EV will stay cost effective and in the near future
even a Prius cannot beat my cost per mile (unless the
electricity also takes a hike up)....

Just my $0.02 per kilometer.

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

Hi Seth, I did not actually record numbers, but for the New Beetle project,
it took approx 30-40hrs to remove the ice, gas tank, exhaust, interior (for
access to battery boxes), dash (for heater core), etc.  It took approx
160-200 hrs to figure out the new electrical system, interfaces, motor
mounts, brakes, power steering, etc.

Don

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev