  1) Episode 77: Battery-Powered Dragster on Monster Garage Tonight!
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: [solectria_ev] A Force broken in San Francisco Back on the Road
  3) RE: Charging Dead Flat AGMs
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: [solectria_ev] A Force broken in San Francisco Back on the Road
  5) Re: Charging Dead Flat AGMs
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  6) towing....an EV
        by Seth Rothenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: [solectria_ev] A Force broken in San Francisco Back on the Road
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Misbehaving Variac
  9) Prius Classic pack burn out.
 10) Re: Thermal measurements
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: DC safety circuit
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Thermal measurements
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Lube
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Thermal measurements
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) S-10 oem on eBay
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Crazy DC regen idea, thoughts, comments
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: how to : determine weight from photo .. weight of images for  3
 square yards ( 9 square feet) .. and car cutout .. same rat
        by "Clyde R. Visser, P.E." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: S-10 oem on eBay
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Conversion questions
        by "kapeli80" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) (no subject)
        by Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: S-10 oem on eBay
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Thermal measurements
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Thermal measurements
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Hybridize-yourself?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 25) Re: Thermal measurements
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: coastdown rally Was: Porsche 911 Was: How many amps driving my
 EV?
        by Robert Baertsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Just wanted to remind everyone who receives the Discovery channel, that our own Rich Rudman and Shawn Lawless will be on TV tonight on the Monster Garage show. Should be a hoot! My local TV listing has it on at 8:00 pm west coast time.

I met the guy who does the voice over for the show while we had White Zombie on display at the Rod & Custom show this past February. He was excited to tell me that he was scheduled to do his part for the show the following Monday. He was pretty pumped up over doing this episode, and told me seeing White Zombie and the drag racing videos of it jerking the tires off the ground and blowing off muscle cars took him by surprise. I think we helped prime the pump for him to be really excited about the electric Chevy Rich and Shawn helped build.

See Ya.....John 'Monster Garage rejectee' Wayland

From my quick look at the gears when the motor came out I noticed that the
gears were angled. Could this suck/pull the motor shaft back and forth when under power or regen. Seems that it would put the bearings at risk. What is the reason for the angle on gear sets anyway? I never understood it. I've seen it. I've seen some stright and some angled. Is it a noise thing? Lawrence Rhodes.... ----- Original Message ----- From: "Danny Ames" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:32:07 -0800
From: Lee Hart To: ev.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: eMeter temp sensor

... I worked for Cruising Equipment (which designed the E-meter). I
can say for certain that we designed it for an LM35. A 10k thermistor
might work, but would be seriously less accurate.

Mark Farver

The EPA numbers are very interesting.

perhaps the EV club should have a coastdown rally somewhere flat and see if we can figure out what the EPA uses or come up with our own.

Are there any flat areas around Silicon Valley that would be suitable?

David Dymaxion wrote:
You do have to be careful. Some manufacturers want to make the Cd
sound as good as possible, so they'll just use the height*width of
the care for the area. I think one of the best sources for aero info
is <http://www.epa.gov/otaq/tcldata.htm>.

Unfortunately the fields are not well documented. In the earlier
years there is a column for effective frontal area, typical car
numbers run from about 7 to 11. In the later years there is a column
for coastdown time, but I haven't been able to find for what speed
range -- anyone know what that is?

About the effectiveness of a belly pan: I'm sure it would help,
especially on an electric. Electrics don't need to worry about hot
exhaust or radiator cooling. It would be nice if someone could do
some before-and-after coastdowns to see how much a bellypan would
help (I'm planning to do this). Just anecdotally, I've heard a
Corvette picked up 10 mph on the Salt Flats just by switching to
narrower tires, and about another car that picked up 7 mph just with
headlight covers.

If anyone would like to do coastdowns with their car, I have a
program that will calculate the rolling resistance and effective
area, I'd be happy to run the numbers.

--- Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'd meant to mention that CdA was a more important measurement, but
couldn't find any good info on the frontal area of the vehicles in
question (and using posted hight & width is highly misleading)

I was kind of wondering about the Camry.  I still think a Saab
might make
a better candidate since it seems to me they have a better load
handling
capacity than the Porsches, and close to the same CdA.

I wonder what the CdA would be for a Porsche 914?  As I recall the
Cd
wasn't all that great, but it seems to me that it has even less
frontal
area than a 911.