  1) RE: Hybridize-yourself?
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Thermal measurements
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: towing....an EV
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: AC vs DC; Newbie Question
        by "Arthur W. Matteson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: DC safety circuit
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: AC vs DC
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  7) Re: Conversion questions
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Plug-in Prius question
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: Plug-in Prius question
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Coast--down method for aero drag
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Conversion questions
        by Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Coast--down method for aero drag
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Conversion questions
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: DC safety circuit
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Episode 77: Battery-Powered Dragster on Monster Garage Tonight!
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: DC-AC Upgrade Solarvan Website Updated.
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: DC-AC Upgrade Solarvan Website Updated.
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: S-10 oem on eBay
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: DC-AC Upgrade Solarvan Website Updated.
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: DC-AC Upgrade Solarvan Website Updated.
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Conversion Questions
        by Bill & Nancy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Battery rack for cheap near San Jose
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Prius Classic pack burn out.
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) GE 9 " motors  for EV
        by Bill & Nancy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Conversion questions
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 26) Re: Plug-in Prius question
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 27) RE: S-10 oem on eBay
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Charging Dead Flat AGMs
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) RE: Plug-in Prius question
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: S-10 oem on eBay
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Re: Charging Dead Flat AGMs
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 32) Re: Plug-in Prius question
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 33) Solectria Force, first impressions (new owner) (long)
        by Todd Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Yes, the only time the Honda system moves with the gas motor turned off is if gravity and/or momentum are on your side. The electric drive will not work without the ICE running.

damon

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: EV Discussion List <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Hybridize-yourself?
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:15:07 -0700

I know the Toyota setup uses a separate motor, but doesn't the Honda "IMA"
system have to have the engine running to use electric drive? Saw this on eBay and thought you'd have to have a separate EV drive to the rear wheels to make
it a plug-in:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8053363420

Man... that's a pretty crazy choice for a digital device IMHO.

So there's actually 3 wires in that lead?

This device cannot be replaced by a thermistor.  The LM35 is under $2.

Danny

Mark Farver wrote:

From the archives:

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:32:07 -0800
From: Lee Hart To: ev.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: eMeter temp sensor

... I worked for Cruising Equipment (which designed the E-meter). I
can say for certain that we designed it for an LM35. A 10k thermistor
might work, but would be seriously less accurate.

Mark Farver

Seth Rothenberg wrote:

Of course, it might be more expensive than
the "gold-plate"  Blue Ox tow bar $300,
but I like to try to go forward once I am going.

I would almost certainly go with a purchased custom towbar if one is available for your EV. The forces involved in towing can be a little weird and anything you do will likely either be too weak or heavy or hard to use. You may want to consult with the towbar manufacturer becuase their system will be designed with the stock weight and balance. A friend that worked for a trailer installer had a motto: If it ain't big and chrome, we can't attach a generic towbar.

On an unibody car its pretty tough to find places that can take the load of towing the vehicle, so you usually have to design brackets that can spread the load. Beams that look strong enough to take the pulling force often cannot take the braking force, or your bracket may add an up/down load that wasn't intended etc. Towing is not a good time to discover that your engineering skills are not sufficient. A failed battery rack or motor mount seldom results in a lose of vehicle control... a broken tow bar often does and has the added problem of potentially damaging both vehicles. I'd be willing to bet that most of the EV regulars have had more hairy moments towing their cars than driving them. (John Wayland has some pretty impressive stories...)

If you are towing a car (on a trailer or four wheels down) seriously consider a trailer braking system, especially if the tow/towed vehicles are similar in weight. Most tow vehicles (pickups, SUVs) today do not have much weight over the rear wheels and are prone to jackknifing. Speaking from experience, lack of trailer brakes is not too noticeable when you're pulling a 3000lb EV behind a 10000lb RV, but a 3000lb EV behind a 3500lb Silverado pickup is a lot more, um.. interesting. (And towing a 5500lb EV behind a 10000lb RV cost an entire set of brake pads in less than 21 miles...)

Mark Farver

> > DC vs AC ... what about sepex, PM, BLDC and whatnot. Do they all
> > belong in the category of DC? Or does DC stand for a brushed series
> > wound motor only. If so, why aren´t the others hardly ever discussed
> > in this group?

As John says, "sepex" (separately-excited) and PM (permanent magnet)
motors count as "DC" (direct current).

BLDC (brushless direct current) contain magnets on the rotor and have a
trapezoidally-wound stator.  This is so, when commuting without PWM
(pulse-width modulation), the current is flat instead of sinusoidal.
During the "sloped" part of the trapezoidal waveform, that particular
phase is not driven and is sensed to determine the rotor position and
thus when to commute next.  This can be seen in my application note:

http://www.egr.msu.edu/~mattes12/appnote3.pdf

PMAC (permanent magnet alternating current) motors also have magnets on
the rotor, but are wound almost identically to induction machines.
Their stator voltage looks like a set of sinusoids equally spaced in
time (depending on the phase count).  Almost always, BLDC and PMAC
motors are wound for three phases.  Both of these two as well as
induction motors truly have no torque ripple, but need a more complex
closed-loop control to be sensorless (i.e., have no speed sensor).

Large BLDC motors rarely have a built-in control.  On the contrary,
small ones often do; mostly fans.  (I know the person who did the
control for General Electric's sensorless BLDC blower motors.)

There are also SR (switched reluctance) motors.  They are most similar
to induction machines but have a non-magnetized, synchronously-operating
rotor that aligns itself at certain angles to the stator.  They can be
extremely efficient but noisy and difficult to control.  BLDC is also
noisy.

According to the February 2006 issue of Appliance Magazine, the cost of
brushless magnet motors is quickly approaching that of induction
machines because of the price of steel.  The difference a normal
consumer sees is possibly due to a different power rating comparison or
simply mass quantity induction motor sales.

More information:
http://www.appliancedesign.com/CDA/Archives/5e562036cb938010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0

- Arthur

At 08:52 PM 4/9/2006, you wrote:

Since I read about how bad DC controllers might fail (well, I kind of knew
that before but .. ) I was driving down the road with my foot on the
clutch. And I was thinking: It can't be too complicated to have some sort
of fail safe that would 'kick in' if a controller breaks down.

A micro switch on the potbox would have to be combined with a voltage
sensing circuit at the motor. If the foot is off the gas pedal and there's
still voltage supplied to the motor: Throw the contactor. If a circuit
would be able to distinguish between a PCM signal and a 'flat' DC (which
would be the case if the controller fails?) it would be able to kill main
power without any need to sense the gas- or brake pedals.

Now - I am no EE so I assume I must have mad some errors. Please help me
out and, maybe, even suggest a circuit design.

The Curtis/PMC potbox comes with a microswitch that opens the main contactor every time the throttle is released, AND shuts off the key switch input to the controller. Been like this for more than 15 years.

Shari Prange

Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

<<< There are also SR (switched reluctance) motors.  They are most similar
to induction machines but have a non-magnetized, synchronously-operating
rotor that aligns itself at certain angles to the stator.  They can be
extremely efficient but noisy and difficult to control.  BLDC is also
noisy. >>>

The Lectra motorcycle used a VR (variable reluctance) motor that supposedly took
a lot of testing/tweaking to get quiet - is this similar to SR?

This may give you some ideas

http://www.e-volks.com/about.html

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "kapeli80" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm an ev newbie thinking about doing a old Beetle convertible
> conversion and was hoping somebody could help me with a few questions
> I haven't figured out yet.  I want a car that could drive around 30-40
> miles and reach at least 60+ mph.  I can't seem to make sence out of
> what it might take to make it do that but for a setup I was thinking
> 12 deep cycle batteries lead acids in 2 banks at 72v, probably the 9"
> ACD motor or maybe a shunt, the pfc20 charger (you can charge 2 banks
> with this right?), and I haven't figured what motor controller or
> anything else out yet.  Also how well does a Beetle convert to ev?
> Will I be able to fit 12 batteries in there?
>
> Thanks for you help,
> Chris

If you replace the original pack (288V/4Ah?) with a NiMH pack of the same
voltage but higher capacity (e.g.-20Ah), will the charge software look for the
original capacity and kick in the charging as soon as it's down the 4Ah, or
does it watch voltage curves, too? I know the NiMH chemistry is rather "stiff",
not dropping voltage until it's near fully-discharged, and then hitting
1.0V/cell quite abruptly, so I was just curious as to whether a software hack
is needed with larger-but-the-same battery pack.

These folks have a clue.

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If you replace the original pack (288V/4Ah?) with a NiMH pack of the
same
> voltage but higher capacity (e.g.-20Ah), will the charge software
look for the
> original capacity and kick in the charging as soon as it's down the
4Ah, or
> does it watch voltage curves, too? I know the NiMH chemistry is
rather "stiff",
> not dropping voltage until it's near fully-discharged, and then hitting
> 1.0V/cell quite abruptly, so I was just curious as to whether a
software hack
> is needed with larger-but-the-same battery pack.

Has anyone here ever built a boat tail for their car or truck? It's
something I've considered doing only for long highway journeys.

Did it pay off?

-Mike

On 4/9/06, Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Some of you might find this paper of interest.
>
> http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/88628main_H-2283.pdf
>
> Particularly note references 2 and 4:
>
> 2. White, R. A. and H. H. Korst, "The Determination of Vehicle Drag
> Contributions from Coast-Down Tests," SAE-720099, Jan. 1972.
>
> 4. Keller, Thomas L. and Robert F. Keuper, Comparison of the Energy
> Method With the Accelerometer Method of Computing Drag Coefficients
> >From Flight Data, NACA CB-5H31, 1945.
>
> The NACA paper is particularly good.  All the NACA papers are
> available online from a NASA site.  I don't recall the URL because I
> have the entire set on my computer.  A little googling will help.
>
> John
>
> PS:  In view of the dates on these papers, reconsider the article
> about that Phil Knox character and the comments there and on this list
> to the effect that car and truck engineers are ignorant of this stuff.
> I just shake my head in stunned amazement at the stuff that comes
> across this list.
>
> http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=870
> ---
> John De Armond
> See my website for my current email address
> http://www.johngsbbq.com
> Cleveland, Occupied TN
> A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo Emerson

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I've seen another beetle though that says on a 72v system with 6 optimas they only got 10 mile trips at 40mph top speed. I was actually looking at that conversion kit but I guess I wasn't sure how upgradeable it was, if it had everything I need, or how good the parts were. It definatly has the best prices I've seen compared to evparts kits though. I guess I could fit in 12 batteries with no problem.

jmygann wrote:
This may give you some ideas
http://www.e-volks.com/about.html

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "kapeli80" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm an ev newbie thinking about doing a old Beetle convertible
conversion and was hoping somebody could help me with a few questions
I haven't figured out yet.  I want a car that could drive around 30-40
miles and reach at least 60+ mph.  I can't seem to make sence out of
what it might take to make it do that but for a setup I was thinking
12 deep cycle batteries lead acids in 2 banks at 72v, probably the 9"
ACD motor or maybe a shunt, the pfc20 charger (you can charge 2 banks
with this right?), and I haven't figured what motor controller or
anything else out yet. Also how well does a Beetle convert to ev? Will I be able to fit 12 batteries in there?

Thanks for you help,

I recall GM putting a tail cone on the Impact (EV1 prototype) and
going 183 mph. It also had smooth wheel covers. I don't know if it
was lowered. A sign inside read "Do not exceed 190 mph in 1st gear."

--- Mike Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Has anyone here ever built a boat tail for their car or truck? It's
> something I've considered doing only for long highway journeys.
>
> Did it pay off?

A PFC20 charger can charge anything from 12 to 450 volts..How you hook it up
wire it the battery pack(s) is up to you.

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro

> I'm an ev newbie thinking about doing a old Beetle convertible
> conversion and was hoping somebody could help me with a few questions
> I haven't figured out yet.  I want a car that could drive around 30-40
> miles and reach at least 60+ mph.  I can't seem to make sence out of
> what it might take to make it do that but for a setup I was thinking
> 12 deep cycle batteries lead acids in 2 banks at 72v, probably the 9"
> ACD motor or maybe a shunt, the pfc20 charger (you can charge 2 banks
> with this right?), and I haven't figured what motor controller or
> anything else out yet.  Also how well does a Beetle convert to ev?
> Will I be able to fit 12 batteries in there?
>
> Thanks for you help,
> Chris

That is why it is so easy to forego all this and simply drop
the contactor when the potbox microswitch indicates the
accelerator is not depressed.
(Regen is usually not used in DC systems, for AC system this
solution is not appropriate, but as we have seen in the past
the AC system is not so vulnerable to the stuck open fault)

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com