  1) Why teenagers LOVE EV's, was Re:Appropriate energy use
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Why have traction batteries increased 50%, was Re: T-125 Equivalent
Batteries
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: What car to buy for conversion
        by "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Half-way there....
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Half-way there....
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  6) Re: Half-way there....
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Regen question again :-(
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Maximising torque for racing
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Who REALLY drives the Most Miles
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Anyone know about status of EMB's ?
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Maximising torque for racing
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Anyone know about status of EMB's ?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Maximising torque for racing
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Car Cell Phone Chargers
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Maximising torque for racing
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) EVers in Ohio
        by "Dr. Polsinelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Monster Garage
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Car Cell Phone Chargers
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: license for electric bike in washington state?? tell me it aint
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Who REALLY drives the Most Miles
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: EVers in Ohio
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Crazy DC regen idea, thoughts, comments
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Maximising torque for racing
        by Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: license for electric bike in washington state?? tell me it aint
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Crazy DC regen idea, thoughts, comments
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Crazy DC regen idea, thoughts, comments
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Current Eliminator News
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 28) Re: Maximising torque for racing
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Crazy DC regen idea, thoughts, comments
All,
My son learned to drive using the RX-7 EV at the age of 15. When he was
around the age of 17, he came out to the BMX track driving my
mother-in-law's car because he was house sitting for her. After the race,
he came up to me and said something like, "Dad, the car needs gas and I
don't know how to get it!" After the laughter died down his buddy, who
didn't even have a drivers license yet, said something like "Don't worry,
I'll show you how to get gas!" I always develop an EV grin when I tell that
story, after all, EVeryone thinks all teenagers should know how to pump gas
at that age! My daughter now drives the RX-7, but I wonder if she knows how
to pump gas? She might have fueled up the wife's Prius once! Anyway, the
main reason teenagers LOVE EV's, is..., because..., they don't have to pay
for the eelectricity!

50,000 plus eelectric miles on the buggies, and a counting,
Dave (B.B.) Hawkins
Member of the Denver Electric Vehicle Council:
http://www.devc.org/
Card carrying member and former racer with The National Electric Drag
Racing Association:
http://www.nedra.com/
Lyons, CO
1979 Mazda RX-7 EV (192V of Orbs for the teenagers)
1989 GM (General Murderers of the EV-1!) S10 (144V of floodies, for Pa only!)

>Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:30:08 -0700
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>> With gas approaching $3.00/gal in my town, I look at my 12 y.o. twins and
>> wonder how the heck they'll ever afford fuel for the cars they will want to
>> buy when they turn 16. They absolutely love my EV and are not opposed to
>> their first cars being electric. I'm also not opposed to limiting their
>> range to 50-75 miles so I can keep tabs on them. ;)
>>

>My almost-17 yr old son has grown up with EVs (knew Plasma Boy before the
>"incident" that got him his name), and he prefers driving my Ranger to
>anything
>ICE-powered. I would have preferred to get something with enough seats for my
>whole family, but find some small comfort in knowing I can have it serviced by
>an EV-capable Ford dealer, and don't have to even *think* about dealing with
>its sealed PbA pack unless something dies in there.
<snippage>

Has the price of Natural gas increased and does the manufacturer use
it for any reason?  Has the price of electricity increased?  With the
rise in diesel prices, so have their shipping costs.  Are the plastic
battery cases petroleum based?

A little here and a little there and your $80 batteries are soon $120
batteries.  I don't see anything bringing those prices back down all
things considered.

Hit up one of the lithium makers.  Or you can get some DEKA
Intimidators for ~$100.

http://www.remybattery.com/9a34m-9a34m.html

$95 for sideposts:

http://www.remybattery.com/9a78dt-9a78dt.html

Odd that plain old top posts only costs the most ($105)

http://www.remybattery.com/9a34-9a34.html

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Several folks have built longer range EVs based on the Chevy S-10 pickup (and GM and Isuzu cousins). See the EV album. There are reasonably priced kits for these vehicles if you're on a budget. The original long range truck was a Toyota, also in the EV album. You could choose a crew cab S-10 which would carry your family, or a Blazer, or an Astro van, all of which are built on the same platform. I don't know if the Astro was offered with a manual transmission, so you might have to swap one from a S-10. Plenty of aftermarket parts are available to increase the carrying capacity. Other small trucks will work as well. IMO, it's best to choose one that was built unchanged over a number of years, and was popular enough that parts are easy to find.

If money is no object, you could choose a nice car (Honda Civics are popular) and put in an AC system with a large Li ion pack (Pro EV seems to have good luck with Kokams and others are experimenting with Thundersky cells) and have a car approaching those once offered by manufacturers. However, you could convert a number of S-10's for the cost of one advanced car.

I'll repeat one thing that many others before me have said: Convert something that you like driving. If you convert something that you hate, you will find reasons (excuses) for not driving it. You can convert anything you want given time and money. Browse the EV album and look at the great variety of vehicles folks have converted.

Dave

From: Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Half-way there....
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:01:33 -0400

I am about half way done with installing 252 BB600 batteries in the S10 pickup truck.

This is taking forever. As of now all the batteries are washed, dried, buffed, and in the box along with the POR15 paint and the plastic liner.

About 120 of them are interconnected, and I'm completely bored with this project. However they do fit very nicely in the box. Snug, but not so tight they're difficult to remove.

Ah well. Should have the rest connected by next weekend. Then I'll use the variac and a rectifier to do a one time 2ah "jump start" charge on each side of the pack, then plug in the Dolphin and let it charge on up.

It's just dull as dirt. Rich, I have no idea how you interconnected all those Lithium batteries.

Now you know why Bill Mulgrew sold his G-van, I think he had around 700 BB
600s in his pack. Drove him nuts. And then when they leaked and caused a
leakage path, ouch!! I seriously hope you have better luck. David Chapman.

Quoting damon henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Just wait till it's time to water :-(
>

> >From: Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Half-way there....
> >Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:01:33 -0400
> >
> >I am about half way done with installing 252 BB600 batteries in the S10
> >pickup truck.
> >
> >This is taking forever. As of now all the batteries are washed, dried,
> >buffed, and in the box along with the POR15 paint and the plastic liner.

FastQ Communications
Providing Innovative Internet Solutions Since 1993

damon henry wrote:
Just wait till it's time to water :-(

True, we shall see. However it would be nice to get 10 years of service from the pack as opposed to replacing AGMs every 2-3 years.

And if it really works I will spring the 20k for a set of STM5-100's and a proper charger. Bye bye watering problems :-)

At 10:33 AM 15/04/06 -0700, Jeff Shanab wrote:
Questions :
First of all can the zilla power the field only like this?

G'day Jeff

My concerns: Yes, the Zilla can power it - in inductance terms, the motor (I think) is 50% to 80% field, so the inductance should only be 20% to 50% lower, so the current limiting shouldn't be unduly affected. You'll still be turning the motor, so if you have tacho feedback it won't stall shutdown.

Now, consider the amperage and the "slope" between the battery voltage and the motor voltage. You can see a datapoint where at a certain RPM the motor comes out of current limit - this is the battery voltage essentially full onto the motor, and you can see the current draw. Above this RPM, you will be able to push that current into the field, and once you have a condition where the RPMs are a little higher, or the field current a little higher, then you will be able to force the armature voltage to exceed battery voltage, and get regen. Below this point you will have to drive the field harder - at 50% RPM you will need to drive the field to double the amps of your datapoint, quadrupling the heating in your fields (double the amps makes double the voltage drop = 4x the heating), risking burning them out, since they are not designed to do this duty. As long as your motor is "oversize" for all else, this should be OK. As well as much of the inductance, most of the DC resistance of the motor is in the fields, but I think that the first thing for heat is the brushes, so you may be fine (Jim Husted or Rich Rudman, wanna comment here?)

As for the brake pot, you'll need more than that, since as the RPMs fall the field will need to be driven harder and harder to maintain regen current, but you don't want to over do things at high RPMs.

Just my $0.02

Regards

James
At 03:10 PM 15/04/06 -0700, Joe Smalley wrote:
It was a field current controller that would hold the armature current
constant by varying the field. The idea was to PWM across the series field
winding to actively field weaken a series motor.

G'day Joe, and all

This sounds like what Jeff and/or Robert would need for their regen control - just to hold the armature current in charge value rather than discharge value, and at a rate proportional to the brake position.

Regards

James

Pat Sweeney wrote:
They are really taken aback when I tell them that all the suburban assault
vehicles they refer to as SUVs should have the airbags ripped out and sharp
objects installed on the inside so their drivers would pay a little attention
to everyone else on the road.

[a round of applause]

I totally agree Pat.

I find the SUV drivers the ones most likely to be-
*inattentive
*reckless
*no turn signals
*YOU have to move when THEY change lanes
And... number one-
*tailgating 3 feet behind you @ 70mph

Surround 'um with sharp objects!
That should help  :^D

Roy LeMeur  Olympia, WA

My EV and RE Project Pages-
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evpage.html

Informative Electric Vehicle Links-
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evlinks.html

At 11:29 PM 15/04/06 +0530, you wrote:
hello james, bob and bruce

yep .. there are problems .. which have been addressed too ..

1. the high rpm's 60,000+ .. these have material strength issues .. carbon
fibre is being used now
<snip>has been overcome by reducing the dia and making
solid hollow cylinder instead of a wheel

..peekay

(can we discuss this please .. we all know about why it won't work .. quest
is for how it will work !)

G'day peekay

Probably a better forum than this (main) list would be to discuss this on the EVtech list, unless anyone knows a more appropriate forum:

(except I've mislaid the subscibe information to EVtech list, link someone?)

James
Actually, No.

I was using a series wound motor and doing a PWM on the field in series with
the armature. It is impossible to keep the current on the field in the same
polarity when the armature current reverses.

If you want to do regen, you need either a sep-ex, shunt, or compound wound
motor with a separate field control. My idea was an active field weakening
scheme. It cannot reduce or reverse the armature current.  It can only
increase the armature current.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder

http://evtech.org/

At 07:28 PM 15/04/06 -0700, Joe Smalley wrote:
Actually, No.

I was using a series wound motor and doing a PWM on the field in series with
the armature. It is impossible to keep the current on the field in the same
polarity when the armature current reverses.

If you want to do regen, you need either a sep-ex, shunt, or compound wound
motor with a separate field control. My idea was an active field weakening
scheme. It cannot reduce or reverse the armature current.  It can only
increase the armature current.

G'day Joe, and all

I was thinking more of the detection/control method, rather than the final topology you designed. They are talking about switching out the field of the series motor to make it be a sep-ex motor - but with a high amp/low volt field.

James

Those little chargers that plug into your car's cigarette lighter to charge
your cell phone:  are they isolated from the car's 12V system (e.g., via a
small transformer or switchmode circuitry)?  Or are they non-isolated from
the car's 12V system?

Thanks.

Yes, We are planning to do that with Rich's Dyno. We have a 1000 amp, 3 volt
supply design based on the isolated PFC-20 architecture. Rich got side
tracked by Monster Garage last December and has not gotten back to it.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder

> At 07:28 PM 15/04/06 -0700, Joe Smalley wrote:
> >Actually, No.
> >
> >I was using a series wound motor and doing a PWM on the field in series
with
> >the armature. It is impossible to keep the current on the field in the
same
> >polarity when the armature current reverses.
> >
> >If you want to do regen, you need either a sep-ex, shunt, or compound
wound
> >motor with a separate field control. My idea was an active field
weakening
> >scheme. It cannot reduce or reverse the armature current.  It can only
> >increase the armature current.
>
> G'day Joe, and all
>
> I was thinking more of the detection/control method, rather than the final
> topology you designed. They are talking about switching out the field of
> the series motor to make it be a sep-ex motor - but with a high amp/low
> volt field.
>
> James

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I am new to EV's and am purchasing a used one. I noticed that David is in Akron. I'm in the Cleveland area. Are there more people or a group around here?

Thanks!

Michael

If you look at electric tools, the going charger is a "one hour charger".
This seems to fit with
the operational temp of construction sites. The tool is charged overnight
and then again at lunch. If the operational tempo is high, then there are
two batteries per tool and they are swapped out mid morning and then again
mid afternoon.

Is this operational tempo going to work with fork trucks, material handling
equipment or delivery trucks?