  1) Re: Switched Capacitor Equalization of Long Strings WAS: Some  problemsto
  solve
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Bucking in first gear
        by David Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: My Ghia - Was: Re: longest range?
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Battery comparison- Thanks for the answers.
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Honda 600 (in Texas?)Other Stuff.
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Battery comparison
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Albright Contactor rework
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Light bulbs plus zeners
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Round Trip  Range  on 48 volts
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Fw: Tickets for Saturday night "Who Killed the Electric Car" in San
Francisco
 11) Re: longest range?
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Honda 600 (in Texas?)
 13) Re: Honda 600 (in Texas?)
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Honda 600 (in Texas?)
 15) Neon (Lamp, not John) Questions
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Switched Capacitor Equalization of Long Strings WAS: Some
 problemstosolve
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Tickets for Saturday night "Who Killed the Electric Car" in San
Francisco
 18) Re: Switched Capacitor Equalization of Long Strings WAS: Some
problemstosolve
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Lead prices
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Neon (Lamp, not John) Questions
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Arctic Leash
        by Patrick Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Light bulbs plus zeners
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Lead prices
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 24) Re: Honda 600 (in Texas?)
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Have been collecting range data, how about acceleration data
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
To make active balance work, you need to keep pumping energy from the
battery with lower terminal voltage (but possessing more Ah) to
the battery with higher terminal voltage, do it for some time.
Therefore mere connecting in parallel won't work (in reasonable
time). It sure will somewhat work for 1V imbalances, but if you have
such difference between batteries, you have more serious issue than
just natural imbalance.

Victor

Now, batteries directly connected in parallel is better than even the
most perfect capacitive balancer can achieve. This should tell you how
weak the balancing action really is. It works -- but just barely.

I, too had a bucking problem with the solar electric escort I had for a
while.  Before I rebuilt it, the potbox was mounted to a large plate
that also held the controller and contactor.  Trouble was, the plate
was mounted to the top of the transmission on the drivers side, and the
passenger side engine mount.  When you acellerated, the torque would
move the motor/tranny and everything that was attached, including the
potbox!

So even if you held your foot still, the throttle would oscillate back
and forth.  This was especially exciting in reverse!

The first thing I did when rebuilding it was to put the potbox on the
firewall.  No more problems with oscillation or bucking.

David Brandt

On 4/21/06, Michaela Merz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So, well ..
>
> While I am cruisin' around with my 144V S-10, I still have that little
> something on my mind. That little something is a beautiful red Ghia
> convertible.

I've seen it mentioned on the list that a Karmann Ghia can consume as
little as 150wh/mile.  I don't know at what speeds and how realistic
it is to achieve that, but if it is true, then you theoretically only
need 15kWh of usable stored energy, in a light enough package.
You've looked at Saft nicads before for your pickup, but I think they
could work well here.  The pack in my van has 27 MRE5-100s, storing
about 16kWh and weighs 350kG (just the modules).  The 162V pack would
work with a DC system (set the controller's battery limit to 200A or
250A) - this would give between 30 and 40kW for accelleration and hill
climbing, which should be adequate on a light and aerodynamic car.

An alternative is the Zebra battery, for example the Z23 which
provides 17.6kWh and weighs only 155kG, although it comes packaged in
one large box which might be difficult to integrate in that car.
The Zebra battery also provides a higher terminal voltage which would
be ideal with a high efficiency AC system such as the Siemens ones
that Metricmind sells, and this would also provide regen and allow a
greater peak power - since the battery is also lighter this
combination would give much higher performance.

Or, hold out for a lithium-ion system with a proven BMS.  That would
certainly have the capability, shouldn't cost much more than the
options above, the only uncertain thing is the cycle life.  And the
fact that you still can't buy one yet :)

#29 wire.

Computed 1200 turns of #21 wire for 12 volts.

On the bench with 13.87 volts on the coil, the initial current was
2.153 amps.  The temperature started rising rapidly.  After an hour in
free air the outside temperature was 207 degrees and stable and the
current had dropped to 1.966 amps.  (Ain't Boltzmann grand?)  That
works out to a hot resistance of 13.87/1.966 = 7.055 ohms.

(This is Class H wire so the temperature isn't anything to get excited
about.  The plastic bobbin is the limiting factor. It feels like some
sort of cheap filled polyethylene or maybe nylon.)

This is a bit hot, though it would work in the EV because that much
voltage will not be available at the coil terminals.  I'm going to
shoot for 1.0 amps holding at 12 volts for the first try.  That
indicates 12 ohms.  A peak/hold driver consisting of a 4.7 ohm
resistor shunted by a 50k uf cap should do the job, giving a time
constant of 0.24 seconds.  The 4.7 ohm resistor will need to be 5
watts at least.  A 10 volt cap would work, though I'm going to use a
16 volt or greater for safety margin.

If less than 1 amp can hold the solenoid in then I'm going to try 0.75
amps and then 0.5 amp, trying for the least holding current that will
hold the solenoid in even over rough terrain.  For 0.75 amps at 12.0
volts, I'll need 16 ohms total.  With 7 ohms in the coil, 16-7= 9 ohms
series resistor, shunted by a 30kuf cap for about the same time
constant.

This time constant should give enough of a current pulse to hammer the
contactor closed, yet let the contactor cycle in less than half a
second if necessary.  I'll probably use a standard 8 ohm sand resistor
from Rat Shack and let the light gauge hookup wiring supply the other
ohm.

The spool is too full for the blue cover to fit back on so I wrapped
the coil with Scotch 88 after dribbling some thin epoxy into the
turns.  The spool is of too cheap a grade of plastic to dip and bake.

For the next coil I'll use 22ga wire which will be less filling and
will allow the blue spool cover to go back on.

---- NOTE -----

These calculations are for ordinary enameled coil winding wire and NOT
Inverter-Grade wire.  IG wire has a heavier insulation so the fill
factor is larger and fewer turns will fit.

To do:

* wind another coil with 22 ga wire.
* fit an LVDT to the armature and scope the contact motion.
* Test at 0.5 and 0.75 amps holding current.
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain

Since it's just six 2v batteries in series, does it not make sense
that one of the cells would go before the others, just like one
battery in your 25 batt string goes bad before any of the others?

Mike

Death to All Spammers wrote:

> > Well that was the issue ....  I wanted to recharge right away
> >
> > How long can /should I wait to measure the voltage ??
> >

> Should level out enough in 5 minutes to get a close enough idea where
> you stand.

5 hours perhaps; but in 5 minutes it will *still* be changing fast.
Prove it for yourself; measure the voltage periodically, and you'll see
it is still changing even many hours later.

Open circuit voltage is a poor way to estimate state of charge. If you
want to know the state of charge right after a discharge, I'd use a
hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte.

Contact  Gregory Simon for ticket information.  Three seats.  Do not contact
Lawrence Rhodes........
From: Lawrence Rhodes
Contact  Gregory Simon for ticket information.  Three seats.  Do not contact
Lawrence Rhodes........
I've found out that my Saturday assignment was moved from 1pm to 4:30pm in
Santa Rosa; alas, I'll be unable to attend Saturday night at the Kabuki.  I
have two Adult and 1 child seats on will call, and can transfer name to.

No worries, Simo

> The real goal should be to equalize states of charge between the
> batteries. This requires more complicated measurements than just
> voltage.

I think that is a fair statement. But I see that the systems in other
battery chemistry's look like they are using voltage as well for soc
measurements. The IC's I see for most chemistry's are all voltage
based. So is it that much more expensive/complex to make something
that counts ah's on each battery?

I was curious why lead is getting so pricey. It's been a trend for
some years. Here was a great page of information.

http://www.batteriesdigest.com/id385.htm

A neon lamp lights when its voltage reaches about 60 volts.    A 120V
rated neon lamp has a resistor in series to allow it to operate from a
120V source.  It will be dimmer or brighter when the voltage is lowered
or raised from 120.   Its life will be reduced at 160 volts unless the
series resistance is increased.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
How do the voltage ratings on neon lamps work?  If a lamps says that its
voltage rating is 120V, does this mean that it won't turn on until 120V, or
that it should never be connected to more than 120V?

If it means that the lamp won't turn on until 120V, then how firm is that
number? Will it be passing some current at 109V or 117V, but not be passing
full current until 120V?  Or will it be passing no current at all until
120V?

Finally, if it means that it won't turn on until 120V, then how do you
determine the upper range (e.g., with a 120V pack, will the lamp be okay at
a fully-charged 160V)?

Thanks.

Roger wrote:
 The 12ft 15A 14/3 version is probably OK for use with a charger, but it
 depends on the nature of the charger.  If the charger has a high crest
 factor (poor power factor, high peak current on the AC side), then even
 though it may appear to draw a reasonable current things may still
 overheat and fail.
------
I'll check on the charger specifics over the weekend (not at home right now). I normally check the number of amp-hours used and charge at low amperage for a time based on that, and then once the charging rate is below 4 amps, I bump it up to "high" (~10 amps?) for a little (30-60 minutes). Again, I'm not at home and don't have my notes in front of me.

FWIW, it's also been suggested that I could just leave it plugged in overnight on low and that would suffice and be simpler.

Also FWIW, while I don't remember the gauge of the current charging cable (with an inline timer), I don't remember it ever growing warm. Of course, I've never used it rolled up.. ;-)

 Have you considered instead mounting a flanged inlet type recepacle in
 place of the original fuel filler and just plugging in an appropriate
 extension cord?  I've put a NEMA L14-30 on mine and it is very nearly a
 drop in replacement for the fuel filler.  If you are only concerned with
 120VAC charging, you could get away with a NEMA L5-30 (or even smaller;
 the 5-30 is rated for 30A) flanged inlet (this is the male half of the
 connector pair).
------
I like this idea! What would be an "appropriate" extension cord? We can normally park within ten feet of our household outlet, so it needn't be that long (although it might be nice to have a longer one for emergencies or the unexpected). Do they make extension cords with two male ends or will I have to fabricate one?

One other factor that may or may not come into play is a need for an auxiliary heater (the guy who began the process yanked everything, including the blower). Currently, we have a jury-rigged ceramic heater/fan on the dash for defrosting purposes that works fine (if looking a bit Rube Goldbergish), but no general heating - or fans for cooling, FTM.

The low-tech/cheap solution was to purchase a ceramic space heater that lives in the back hatch area, operable by a timer. It would turn on 15 minutes before we'd leave in the morning to take the chill off the car. Actually, this is what got me started thinking about the fuel cap idea, because as it stands now, we have to unplug it from the wall, open the back hatch and stow the cord (thus letting out a large part of the warmth).

Granted, there are colder places in the world than the PNW - and our commute is a short one - but my goal here is to make the car as easy/desirable to drive as feasible - so that it will get driven (and not just by me).

The ideal solution would involve a single cable from the car to the wall that could be used both to charge and (when necessary) to run the timer-regulated heater to warm up the car pre-leaving. Would it work to simply plug both into the interior side of the fore-mentioned flanged receptacle (assuming it would be a Bad Idea to run both charger and heater at same time..)? Anything that makes this car simpler to use will make it get used more!

If it's not already abundantly clear, this is our first EV. It's meant as a stepping stone to a more comprehensive/better designed EV, not an end in itself. We want to learn, make our mistakes, etc on THIS one - so the next one (we already have a '73 Ghia waiting patiently) will be that much better.

Thanks again Roger, Nick, and everyone!
- Patrick

Mike Phillips wrote:
Since it's just six 2v batteries in series, does it not make sense
that one of the cells would go before the others, just like one
battery in your 25 batt string goes bad before any of the others?

Maybe, it's just odd that the remaining cells just seem to power right on without much of a change in capacity. It's like a normal 10 volt battery. And it doesn't "reverse" that cell, it's just zero till load is off, then +2.

I think I am going to try adding water to the rest of the pack and install the light bulb regs. I've been driving the car a fair bit since I raised the pack, should be interesting to see if any of the batteries I flagged as 10 volts got worse, or if any of the rest have gone bad.

Worldwide demand and mining/refining costs are fueling the increase. Much of
the smelting costs are related to energy costs, which have been soaring also.

It's not just lead metal that has been experiencing huge price increases.
Nearly all commodity metals, including nickel, silver, zinc, aluminum, and
copper
have all experienced significant price increases in the last year.

As an example, at yesterdays market close, silver and copper were both up
41.8% for the year. That's a huge increase for just one year.

Think of all the copper, lead, and sometimes aluminum and nickel that we use
in our EV's. Regardless of the price increases, this is still a great time to
be driving EV's.

Lawson

> That would really be a pig.  I'm assuming the -300 means 300 amps?
>
> My GoBig scooter is 36 volts and 450 amps and only weighs 160 lbs
> without me on it, 440 lbs with me on it.  It'll just about keep up
> with downtown traffic accelerating away from a traffic light, with
> gearing for about 50 mph.  That little car has to weigh 800-900 lbs
> minus driver.  The motor is maybe 100-150 lbs.  Batteries will make up
> for the motor plus perhaps a little.  No transmission for something
> like this  - too many losses and too much weight.  I'd just cog belt
> the motor to the jackshafts with perhaps a center bearing.
>
> I'm not how well an ETEK would work with that much mass to accelerate.
> I'd be worried about melt-down.

The Kewet runs a 48V/350A Curtis controller and keeps up on city
streets, but it may fit your definition of a dog if it's too slow...it
didn't seem too slow for my use.

Cor,

Is there room in either of your batt boxes for a clamper board for
each batt?

Our trucks are the same 0-45 times? Hmmmm.

Mike