  1) Low rider floodie quest
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Round Trip  Range  on 48 volts
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Arctic Leash
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Neon (Lamp, not John) Questions
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Switched Capacitor Equalization of Long Strings WAS: Some
 problemstosolve
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Honda 600 (in Texas?)
  7) RE: Switched Capacitor Equalization of Long Strings WAS: Some
problemstosolve
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Metro Brake Cylinder (Was: Angle Iron to Chassis)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Knee Point - Does anyone understand this?
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Logos (was RE: sheilding for zilla wiring)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: longest range?
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Honda 600 (in Texas?)
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Arctic Leash
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Albright Contactor rework
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Otmar's motor speed sensor - Kostov's
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Albright Contactor rework
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Albright Contactor rework
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Honda 600 (in Texas?)
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Neon (Lamp, not John) Questions
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Is there a floodie available that someone has tried that is not over
7" tall? My truck can only support 7" and shorter.

  Charged pack and after a couple of hours sitting the pack measured
53.7 Volts ,  so I hope I did not hurt anything ....

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Death to All Spammers"

Patrick Clarke [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Also FWIW, while I don't remember the gauge of the current charging
> cable (with an inline timer), I don't remember it ever
> growing warm. Of course, I've never used it rolled up.. ;-)

If you are going to have a problem, it will be with the cord rolled up.
I don't know what charger they used, but as I recall the NEVCO Gizmo
people also thought the retractable cord was a neat idea until they
started melting cords.

> I like this idea! What would be an "appropriate" extension
> cord? We can normally park within ten feet of our household
> outlet, so it needn't be that long (although it might be nice
> to have a longer one for emergencies or the unexpected).

By appropriate, I was just meaning one with an appropriate connector on
one end to connect to the wall outlet and a connector on the other end
to connect to the EV's inlet.

I think the easiest in this case is to make a short adapter with an
L14-30 female on the EV end and a standard 120V 15A male plug on the
other.  This adapter need only be 1 foot long.  Then, you can plug the
EV in using any off-the-shelf 120VAC extension cord of the desired
length (and still be able to use the extension cord for other duties
if/when required).

I use an L14-30 connector at the EV, so I have two different extension
cord needs: one to allow me to plug into a 120V outlet and another to
allow plugging into 240VAC, so I have two such adapters.

> Do
> they make extension cords with two male ends or will I have
> to fabricate one?

You don't want an extension cord with two male ends!

If you are connecting AC to an onboard charger (or other appliances,
such as your ceramic heater), then you want a male connector on the EV.
The cord between the EV and wall outlet will have a male connector on
the wall end and a female connector on the EV end.  This way there are
no exposed contacts with live AC on them when the cord is plugged into
the wall, just like normal extension cords.

> One other factor that may or may not come into play is a need for an
> auxiliary heater

> The low-tech/cheap solution was to purchase a ceramic space
> heater that lives in the back hatch area, operable by a timer.
> It would turn on 15 minutes before we'd leave in the morning to
> take the chill off the car.

Presumably by the time the heater timer kicks it in, the charger should
either have completed, or at least be operating at low power in the
final charging stages, so operating both from the same cord may not be
an issue.

If you wanted to be sure, you could use a relay on the output of the
timer to switch power between the charger and heater so that only one is
ever on at a time.  Basically have the normally closed contacts of the
relay supply power to the charger; when the timer decides it is time to
power up the heater, it powers the relay coil and the contacts transfer
so that AC is now connected to the heater instead of the charger.

Bill Dennis wrote:
> How do the voltage ratings on neon lamps work?

A standard neon indicator lamp turns on at about 60-70 volts, and once
on, will have about 55-60 volts across it. There is always a series
resistor to drop the rest of the applied voltage.

> If a lamps says that its voltage rating is 120V, does this mean that
> it won't turn on until 120V, or that it should never be connected to
> more than 120V?

The "120vac" line voltage is actually going from 0v to +170v, to 0v, to
-170v, and back to 0v sixty times per second. The neon lamp looks like
an open circuit until the instantaneous voltage hits that 60-70v. Then
the neon gas ionizes, it lights up, and draws current. The voltage
across the lamp drops to 55-60v. The difference between this and the AC
line voltage appears across the series resistor. The current (which
controls the brightness) is limited by the series resistor; without that
resistor, the lamp would try to draw a huge current and would be
immediately destroyed.

When the AC line voltage passes its peak and falls back below 55-60v,
the neon lamp "switches off" and becomes an open circuit again. This
whole cycle repeats in the negative half cycle.

The series resistor is what determines the "rated" voltage for a neon
indicator. A "120v" indicator has a 22k-100k resistor. A "240v" has a
47k-220k resistor. You can change the resistor or add another one in
series for any voltage you like. just be sure the resistor has a high
enough voltage and power rating.

> (with a 120V pack, will the lamp be okay at a fully-charged 160V)?

A 120vac neon lamp and resistor will be fine at 160vdc. The current (and
brightness) will be a little higher, but that won't shorten its life
enough to matter (from maybe 25,000 hours to 15,000 hours :-)

Mike Phillips wrote:
> I see that the systems in other battery chemistry's look like they
> are using voltage as well for soc measurements. The IC's I see for
> most chemistry's are all voltage based. So is it that much more
> expensive/complex to make something that counts ah's on each battery?

Personally, I think they measure voltage because it is cheap and easy.

To measure actual state of charge, you'd need to watch current in/out of
the battery and accumulate amphours; or measure voltage and current and
infer state of charge from them by some empirical equation.

It only takes 90 amps to fry an ETEK.  Watch out.  LR.......
#29 wire.

Computed 1200 turns of #21 wire for 12 volts.

On the bench with 13.87 volts on the coil, the initial current was
2.153 amps.  The temperature started rising rapidly.  After an hour in
free air the outside temperature was 207 degrees and stable and the
current had dropped to 1.966 amps.  (Ain't Boltzmann grand?)  That
works out to a hot resistance of 13.87/1.966 = 7.055 ohms.

(This is Class H wire so the temperature isn't anything to get excited
about.  The plastic bobbin is the limiting factor. It feels like some
sort of cheap filled polyethylene or maybe nylon.)

This is a bit hot, though it would work in the EV because that much
voltage will not be available at the coil terminals.  I'm going to
shoot for 1.0 amps holding at 12 volts for the first try.  That
indicates 12 ohms.  A peak/hold driver consisting of a 4.7 ohm
resistor shunted by a 50k uf cap should do the job, giving a time
constant of 0.24 seconds.  The 4.7 ohm resistor will need to be 5
watts at least.  A 10 volt cap would work, though I'm going to use a
16 volt or greater for safety margin.

If less than 1 amp can hold the solenoid in then I'm going to try 0.75
amps and then 0.5 amp, trying for the least holding current that will
hold the solenoid in even over rough terrain.  For 0.75 amps at 12.0
volts, I'll need 16 ohms total.  With 7 ohms in the coil, 16-7= 9 ohms
series resistor, shunted by a 30kuf cap for about the same time
constant.

This time constant should give enough of a current pulse to hammer the
contactor closed, yet let the contactor cycle in less than half a
second if necessary.  I'll probably use a standard 8 ohm sand resistor
from Rat Shack and let the light gauge hookup wiring supply the other
ohm.

The spool is too full for the blue cover to fit back on so I wrapped
the coil with Scotch 88 after dribbling some thin epoxy into the
turns.  The spool is of too cheap a grade of plastic to dip and bake.

For the next coil I'll use 22ga wire which will be less filling and
will allow the blue spool cover to go back on.

---- NOTE -----

These calculations are for ordinary enameled coil winding wire and NOT
Inverter-Grade wire.  IG wire has a heavier insulation so the fill
factor is larger and fewer turns will fit.

To do:

* wind another coil with 22 ga wire.
* fit an LVDT to the armature and scope the contact motion.
* Test at 0.5 and 0.75 amps holding current.
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain

Hey Jim..
One I have a burnt 8 incher comm. We shorted a pair of segments when testing
the old DCP Raptor 1200s. It's in pretty good condition. I need to get it
your way since it's gathering dust up here.

Roger, Neon..other Kosty helpers..

What I was envisioning is somthing that bolts onto the Fan end shaft so I
just install the sensor housing that Otmar sells. Since I have one...
The problem is I AM KEEPING THE DARN FAN.!!!!! I need all the cooling I can
get... and I know when and how it works. Hot days means I run in 1st up
against the Rev limiter... The vacume cleaner sounds tells me I am sucking
LOTS of air.. I don't have to be trained to not Lug my motors. ...I just
need the darn tach to work so I don't screw up. Yes Rod I remember....a
certain 9 incher.. Oh By the way it's still in my shop, waiting for pickup.

The thing is the nut holds the fan on, and there is no center bore or 1/4-20
threaded hole...like the AvDCs have. So.. without inventing the wheel again,
I was hoping somebody had Canned solution.
Toothed wheels don't cut it on the HB2 input, The old DCP opto sensor..Kinda
worked, But the T-ReX always had issues withit. I cut a slot in the screen
and painted white stripes and the rest black. The sensor worked but the tach
circuit in the T-rex did not.

So.. got 8 incher armature.. need something to bolt onto the fan end of a
Kosty to mount the magnet wheel  onto.

Rich Rudman
Madman...with a spring cold..darn it!!

#29 wire.

[...]

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 08:15:18 -0700 (PDT), Mark Hastings
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am only an hour away so I may go check it out.. If I was smaller I'd be more
>excited but I'm about 6'4" so it might be a no go anyhow. I'd like to think
>you could put more the just 4 optimas in it and something with more muscle
>then an etek. This might make a good candidate for my wifes commute, 3 round
>trip miles, in the rain. She likes to walk but it there is no where to walk or
>ride a bike on the roads in between.

I'm 6'7" and could sit easily in the 600.  An amazing amount of leg
room.  My height is fairly well balanced (my belt is about in the
middle :-) so if you're long-legged or long-torso'd you might have a
challenge.

I just don't see an ETEK doing the job here.  Here are some specs.

http://www.greenspeed.us/electric_scooter_e-tek_motor.htm

It's only rated at 150 amps continuous and 300 amps for 30 seconds.
I'd consider that the absolute max rating, not to be exceeded for even
a couple more seconds.

The problem with the ETEK is that the iron-less armature has no
thermal mass so it can't sustain large overloads like conventional
motors can.  Several people have described on this list how to
unsolder armature bars by trying to push the envelope :-(

That 600 would be about the size and weight of a CitiCar.  The Citi
motor is 3hp nominal - about the same rating as the ETEK. But I can
hammer it with >450 amps with the controller bypass and it doesn't
whimper.  OTOH, motor current stays >300 amps for much of the time
while driving in town, stop and go.

You'll simply need more motor.  I've been doing some figuring
regarding the idea of using 2 ETEKs on my Citi.  I think they'd
perform nicely.  I have the two motors.  What I need now is a spare
Citi motor that I can gut, cut down the frame and use to host a cog
belt pulley.  I'm planning on connecting the two ETEKs to the stock
diff with a cog belt.

I started to try one ETEK but back-of-the-matchbook cals say it just
won't live in that environment.

If I were going to try to convert a 600, I'd go with at least 72
volts.  Scatter the batteries on the 4 corners near the suspension
attachment points.  For the short mileage you're talking about, 30ah
hawkers would do the job and be lighter than the Optimas, though more
costly.

I'd use an Alltrax 7245 controller (72 volts, 450 amps max) and gear
the two ETEKs for perhaps 60 volts at full speed.  (and set the
controller accordingly).  That's more than the ETEK is spec'd for but
I think it will be OK and live longer than lower RPM and higher
current.

I'm having trouble pulling the image of the transmission out of my old
memory but I think I remember it being essentially the Honda 450
motorcycle transmission in a different case, set up for FWD.  If so,
it's a highly efficient dog-type transmission, much superior to
syncromesh car transmissions.  I'd definitely try to use it even if
you have to carve away some of the cases and weld in cover plates.
That transmission could be used effectively to keep the ETEK's RPM up
and the current draw down.  If you go that route, let me know and I'll
give you some racing tips to cut down the transmission losses even
more.

John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain

I'll answer anyway since neon is one of my "things" :-)  A glow
discharge lamp doesn't have a "voltage rating".  It has a strike
voltage, eg, the voltage at which it will fire, and an operating
current.  Once the discharge starts, the lamp acts as a negative
resistance device where the voltage drop actually decreases with
increasing current.  The purpose of the ballast resistor is to limit
this current to the specified value.

An NE-2 will strike at something like 140 volts and then operate at
the specified current at somewhere in the range of 40-60 volts.

But that's not all the story.  Something has to cause the strike to
start, to cause the initial ionization.  That can be a random
ionization, a cosmic ray, a radioactive decay or light striking the
electrodes.  Traditionally, a little radioactive Thorium was included
in the electrode material to stabilize the strike voltage.  Most
modern manufacture bulbs now have a little Kr-85 radioactive gas in
the fill.

Light impingement is still a problem for applications where the strike
voltage is important.  Everyone has probably seen an outlet strip with
a dying neon pilot lamp where the lamp will burn or flicker when the
room lights are on but go out in the dark (about the opposite of what
a pilot light should do :-)  That's the photoelectric effect at work -
the ambient light provides just enough extra kick to get the
ionization going.

There are (or at least used to be) special purpose neon bulbs designed
for stable strike voltages.  This usually involves a little more
radioactive gas and more precise control of the electrode spacing.
Bulbs can also be had with strike voltages up in the hundreds.  The
cheap strobe light such as used in disposable cameras contain this
sort of lamp.  Typical strike voltage is 350-400 volts, depending on
the strobe design.

I've noticed that the argon/phosphor lamps, those that glow green or
blue or sometimes yellow, have more stable strike voltages than plain
neon.  One reason is that argon is much more easily ionized.  Another
is that the phosphor coating inside the glass envelope shields the gas
from ambient light.

Neon lamps will work OK on DC but only one of the electrodes will
light.  The strike voltage tends to be more variable because there
isn't the slight dV/dT effect across the electrodes on each half-cycle
that helps start the ionization when operated on AC.

In any event, you'll need a ballast resistor to limit the operating
current once the lamp strikes - just like on AC.  Here's the first
spec sheet Google found for "ne2 specification sheet".

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/neon%7Cne2~usa.html

Looks like the bulb needs between 1 and 3ma to achieve its rated life.
3ma will be REAL bright so I'd shoot for the low end, perhaps a little
less than 1 ma unless direct sunlight is involved.

To put that current in perspective, standard neon signs run on 24ma.
Those small neon sculptures that you can buy at Wallyworld and the
like use from 4 to 10ma, usually toward the lower end.  When I do
indoor custom neon for people, unless they want to use the neon for
illumination, I usually cut the current down to between 1 and 5ma so
the glare isn't so bad.  A few ma go a long ways!

John

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:22:00 -0600, "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>How do the voltage ratings on neon lamps work?  If a lamps says that its
>voltage rating is 120V, does this mean that it won't turn on until 120V, or
>that it should never be connected to more than 120V?
>
>If it means that the lamp won't turn on until 120V, then how firm is that
>number?  Will it be passing some current at 109V or 117V, but not be passing
>full current until 120V?  Or will it be passing no current at all until
>120V?
>
>Finally, if it means that it won't turn on until 120V, then how do you
>determine the upper range (e.g., with a 120V pack, will the lamp be okay at
>a fully-charged 160V)?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bill Dennis

---