  1) Re: Aero Drag Significance  ?
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Lead prices
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: battery monitor, what's up
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Some problems to solve
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Albright Contactor rework
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: New Panasonic car runs off two AA batteries
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: article: PARATRANSIT, INC. AND HYBRID TECHNOLOGIES INC. (NASD OTCBB:
HYBT) A
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Arctic Leash
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Honda 600 (in Texas?)Other Stuff.
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Honda 600 (in Texas?)
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: New Panasonic car runs off two AA batteries
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Another in IL, Re: Honda 600 (in Texas?)
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Lead prices
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Some problems to solve
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: article: PARATRANSIT, INC. ...
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Low battery voltage limit and signage
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Battery patent rights
        by "Steve Arlint" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: AC vs DC; Newbie Question
 19) Re: New Panasonic car runs off two AA batteries
 20) Re: Aero Drag Significance  ?
 21) Re: battery monitor, what's up
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Targa car, was: Re: longest range?
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: battery monitor, what's up
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: battery monitor, what's up
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
> How important,significant is aero drag in an EV ?...
>
> Cyclists say "Aerodynamic drag represents the largest resistance while
> riding over level ground"
>
> What is "knee point" ?

Somewhere around 45mph for most cars.

I was just thinking about that guy who did all the aero work on a
pickup, but everyone knows trucks *aren't* built for aerodynamics. If
you want to prove how good you are, get the most aero production car
and make it *more* aerodynamic!

> Can you imagine lugging a 5 ton AC unit off a 20 ft high roof?  The
> cop that investigated my theft said that mine was the third he's done
> in the last few weeks.
>
> John

Just send the police after anyone driving around a crane.

> has anyone tried the what's up or doc watson monitor, as an
> alternative to a link 10?  http://www.rc-electronics-usa.com/ammeters/
> rv-battery-monitor.html
>
> I figure that I'd need to current divide, using appropriate low
> value, high power resistors to send less than 100 amps to the unit.

This unit is put in-line, not reading a seperate shunt, so those 14ga
wires won't work well with most of applications.

Rich Rudman wrote:
> Voltage and Amps... These are the only two tools to read and to vary.

And time!

> Unless you are also tracking past demand and charge cycles.

Which are derived from voltge vs. time, and current vs. time.

> So... You pick a voltage that will fill the battery on time and not
> vent it. AGM and specifically Optimas recommend 14.8 volts. Seams to
> work for most AGM batteries.

It's a useful number; a good starting point. But other numbers can work
equally well, either higher or lower, if you control the current and
time appropriately. Also, the number changes with temperature, and as
the battery ages.

> That old Bucket of water concept is very valid. But you want them all
> full, no matter if the buckets are slightly different sizes. Full and
> barely dribbling over is a Known state.

Yes.

> Locking the peak voltage with any kind of regulator is a very good
> first step. The second is to back off the main charger if you can't
> dribble the extra power fast enough to keep the voltage below the
> level you want them at.

This is good as far as it goes. Just keep in mind that regulating
voltage is NOT the same thing as regulating state of charge. Voltage is
a symptom, but not the condition itself that you want to control.

> Heck Lee, if these old concepts actually worked like folks say they
> do, we wouldn't be making Chargers and BMS improvements now would we?

Right! :-)

The key point is to measure what is going on. Most people don't measure
anything, so they have no idea what is actually going on. Battery
vendors, charger manufacturers, and snake oil salesmen can say anything
they like.

But, once folks start to measure what is actually going on, they learn.
And then, they question. "You said this was a 50 amphour battery, but I
only get 30 amphours out of it..." You claimed this isa 15 amp charger,
but that's only for the first 5 minutes..." "You said your patented
charging algorithm would double my battery life, but it had no
effect..."

And, they learn what *really* works!

> 14.8 is going to "Gas" the internal chemistry.. But not such that
> venting will occur. Well, to any great degree.

Agreed. For an AGM, you can put a certain number of amphours into it
past the gassing threshold, and there will be room to contain the gas
inside. Over a period of time, that gas will recombine back into water
so it won't vent. But, you might charge too much, or the vents get
leaky, or the battery gets old and so gases more. Over many charge
cycles, you still lose a little.

> The other means for AGM is a voltage hold While the amps taper back
> to less than 2 amps. You NEVER drive the AGM over 15 if you can help
> it. Doing so with a long series string just about guarantees you will
> vent one of the batteries. There are clear exceptions to this rule...

Yes, there are! For example, if the current is limited to under 1% of
the battery's amphour capacity, it can recombine the gas back into water
as fast as you are creating it; thus it won't vent even if you keep this
up for days.

For example, I have a poor old Hawker SBS60 battery that I got back from
one of my BEST kid's EV teams. It is 6 years old, was run dead, and then
left sitting for many months. When I got it back, it measured 11.4v.
Charged normally, it immediately went over 15v at 0.1 amps. With a 1 amp
load, it immediately collapsed to almost 0 volts.

After a 24 hour, 16v, 1 amp charge, it had 4 amphours of capacity at 4
amps. It then behaved "normally" for a 4 amphour battery, but way off
what a 60 amphour battery should do. I.e. it has way too low a capacity,
and way too much internal resistance, though the voltages and currents
are normal.

So, I've been cycling it all week with an abnormal charging regimen:

1. Discharge at 4 amps to 10.5v.

2. Charge with a 15 volt CV, 25amp CC charger to +2ah.
   Experimentally, another discharge cycle at this point yields
   the same amphours as the previous cycle, i.e. no improvement.

3. Continue charging to +5ah with a 16v CV, 0.5 amp CC charger.
   This takes over 10 hours, but the battery does NOT gas; it warms
   up slightly, and can recombine at the same rate as gas is produced.

4. Repeat from step 1 again.

What I am finding is that on each cycle, the battery gains a couple more
amphours of capacity. 4ah, 6.2ah, 8.1ah, and the last cycle was 10.0
amphours.

> Knowing the actual requirements of a single battery's state of charge.
> Well Lee, that's just about impossible. You need a LOT of solid lab
> grade data, as well as the history of the last charge cycle and depth
> of discharge, age of battery and the number and depth of all cycles.
> And then with some math and a Good WAG... you can kinda predict the
> watts needed to solve the equation.

It's not *that* bad, Rich!

Suppose I gave you a battery and a cheap automotive battery charger, the
kind that is nothing but a transformer, rectifier, and analog ammeter.
Could you tell when to turn it off so the battery is fully charged?

Sure you can! You'd charge until the ammeter quit falling; an eyeball
version if the di/dt algorithm. Charge each of your batteries this way,
and they'd all be at the same state of charge.

There are lots of other methods, too. The basic idea is to do something
*consistently* to every battery, so they will all be at the same state
of charge. It might not be "full" or "empty", but it will be consistent.
Once you are at that point, you can then charge or discharge them all
together, the same, and they will stay reasonably close.

Your regulator is a great product, and certainly a lot better than
nothing. But, it only looks at one parameter; battery voltage. It
doesn't know the current, so it can't estimate state of charge -- 14.8v
at 10 amps is a *lot* different than 14.8v at 1 amp!

A straightforward improvement would be to a) pick a current that your
regulator can safely bypass continuously, b) setup your charger to
regulate at that current when the first regulator hits its threshold
voltage. Then, as each regulator turns on, it reduces its battery's
charging current to ZERO amps. Thus, each battery STOPS charging at the
same voltage and same current; thus they all stop at (about) the same
state of charge.

Or another approach. My Battery Balancer measures each battery's no-load
voltage. It uses the *difference* in voltage to estimate the
*difference* in their states of charge. It then charges each battery for
a time proportional to the difference in their states of charge. It then
repeats this about once an hour. The batteries are thus being pushed
toward the same state of charge, regardless of whether they are all at
100%, or 50% or 0% state of charge.

> I am not sure which one gives a better charge... But I really do
> know which one is more cost effective.... And which one is easier
> to implement.

I'm not so sure, if your new regulators are going to be $75 each.

I think you may want to do a little more research; set up the regulators
in your series string a little bit differently, and measure what this
actually does to the batteries.

Using your peak/hold circuit, how about hooking the contactor to the full
pack voltage?  Could the 56V contactor stand the full pack voltage while for
that brief interval when the capacitor starts to charge?  At 150V full pack,
this would give almost 3 times the number of amp-turns, and with the pack
down to 100V, nearly 2 times the number of amp-turns.  If the resistor is
left at 1300 Ohms, then the contactor would be seeing 100mA in hold mode,
which is still less than 50% of its nominal 228mA and should provide plenty
of holding power.

But can the coil stand that repeated initial surge of between 700 and 400
mA?

Thanks.