  1) Re: AC vs DC; Newbie Question
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Albright Contactor rework
  3) Regulating battery charge ( was Re: Some problems to solve)
  4) Re: Battery patent rights
  5) RE: Targa car, was: Re: longest range?
        by "Mark Fowler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: New Panasonic car runs off two AA batteries
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Lead prices, Short Circuses!
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re:EV Stickers WAS Low battery voltage limit and signage
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) New batteries
        by Calvin King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Low battery voltage limit and signage
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: AC vs DC; Newbie Question
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) mini-cars are available and Long range  Re: Honda 600 (in Texas?)Other
Stuff.
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Battery patent rights
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Regulating battery charge ( was Re: Some problems to solve)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Lead prices, Short Circuses!
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: New Panasonic car runs off two AA batteries
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Lead prices, Short Circuses!
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Lead prices, Short Circuses!
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Lower voltage AC, was Re: AC vs DC
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Re: Arctic Leash
        by "Joseph H. Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: New batteries
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: New Panasonic car runs off two AA batteries
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: New batteries
        by "Mark Grasser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Peter VanDerWal wrote:

I think Metric mind might also have single speed trannies available, but
I'm not sure.

Yes, we have single speed reduction gear boxes which include differentials, already bolted to the motors (MES-DEA).
You have half shafts out, and only have to link vehicle's
half-shafts to it. Note, doesn't really have to be FWD vehicle.

Of course if you go with AC then you really will have to give up the idea
of a low voltage conversion.

Not true, though typically the higher voltage, the higher efficiency.
Lowest working voltage for TIM-600 and TIM-400 inverters is 80VDC.

Though, to be honest, you're going to have a tough time getting 40-50
miles range with a 96V conversion unless you drive at something like 30
mph.
You might be able to do it with 120V worth of 6V GC batteries, but I think
you'll really have to strip down the probe to get that many batteries in.

Yes. For practical purposes the range is only function of battery
capacity, not it's voltage. You spend Wh per mile as you move,
you don't spend volts. So you need so many Wh on board.

In practice other limitations for too low voltage come into play though.

> My original idea when I bought the 2 56V contactors was to connect each
> one
> across half the traction pack.  My fully-charged voltage is 150V, so 75V
> seemed too high to drive the 56V coil, and I would have needed to put a
> resistor in series with the coil to lower the voltage.
>
> Since these contactors are guaranteed to pull in down to 37V, I got a 48V
> power supply which I connected to the traction pack for input and to the
> coils on output.  I thought I was all set, until Neon John posted his data
> about the contactors pulling in too slowly.

Is that fully charged while on the charger, or fully charged resting voltage?

Anyway, you can build a voltage divider that will produce any voltage
between zero and the pack voltage.  uSE the resistance of the coil as 1/2
the divider, then all you have to do iS add an appropriately sized
resistor, or better yet a resistor and a capacitor.

Let's assume you have a 144V nominal pack.  It doesn't really matter what
the fully charged unloaded voltage is, because you won't be at this
voltage for very long while the contactor is energized.
Also remember that the pack voltage will fall as it discharges.

IIRC the coil has approx 225 ohms of resistance.  So normal current at 56V
= 250 ma. Let's assume that we only need 100 ma to hold the coil.  You
might get by with less holding current, but you won't save much energy,
the coil can easily handle this much power continuously, and it will hold
stronger so it won't be as likely to drop out on bumps.

Minimum holding voltage would therefor be 100 ma * 225 ohms = 22.5V.  So
we want at least 22.5V (100 ma) even when the pack is almost dead (~126V).

Using ohms law that means out total resistance (coil plus resistor) needs
to be 126V / 100 ma = 1260 ohms.  SUbtract the 225 for the coil and the
resistor should be approx 1035 ohms. Call it a 1k ohm resistor.

So, check our work, 1K ohm resistor plus 225 ohm coil means 126V / 1225
ohms = 103 ma.  Close enough (in case it's not obvious, exact values are
NOT critical)

Now let's look at the high end of or voltage (~150V?) 150V / 1225 =~ 122
ma.  That means the the coil will have ~ 27.6 V, not nearly enough to pull
in, so you'll need to add a bypass capacitor in parallel with the load
resistor.

I was up late last night working on a problem and can't think straight
right now so I'll let someone else figure out the RC time constant and
capacitor value, but as a swag something like a 220mf 150V cap should do
the trick.

oh yeah, need to figure out how much power the resistor is dissipating,
Let's see 150V minus the coil voltage (27.6) leaves about 122.5V.  122.5V
* 122 ma = 15 watts.  That means you'd need a 1k ohm 15 watt resistor.  If
you can't find one of those, then three 330 ohm 5 watt resistors in series
should also work.

So assuming I haven't screwed up, here is a rough ascii drawing

                 220 mf 150V
      +--------------||-----------------+
      |                                 |
      |                                 |
  +---+----\/\/\/----/\/\/\---\/\/\/----+--------+
  |      3 ea 330 ohm, 5 watt resistors          |
  |                                              +_
  |                                               _)
  _                                               _) Relay coil
 ___                                              _)
  _                                              +
 ___                                             |
  _                    switch                    |
 ___                                             |
  |                      /                       |
  +---------------------/ +----------------------+

> A straightforward improvement would be to a) pick a current that your
> regulator can safely bypass continuously, b) setup your charger to
> regulate at that current when the first regulator hits its threshold
> voltage. Then, as each regulator turns on, it reduces its battery's
> charging current to ZERO amps. Thus, each battery STOPS charging at the
> same voltage and same current; thus they all stop at (about) the same
> state of charge.

Hmm, I'm assuming you mean to drop the charge current and keep it dropped?
When we drop the current, the battery that hit bypass voltage will drop in
voltage and the batreg will turn off (correct?) .  Seems to me this will
slow down charging.
Would it maybe be better (i.e. quicker) to drop to max bypass current
while batregs are on and to some intermediate charge current when they
turn off.

I.e. Bulk charge at 20 amps, drop to 2 amps when any batreg is on, go back
up to 5-10 amps when they are all off?

A few things, the patent controls the manufacture of the batteries not
their use, ok technically it controls the manufacture for use as...

Anyway, unless you are planning on manufcaturing NiMH it won't affect you.
 I believe Ovionic limits the manufacturing of NiMH batteries to 10 ah or
less.  So use batteries sold in the US with less than 10 AH and you're
cool.

Besides, the patent will probably run out before you bring your product to
market anyway.

Or, you could simply avoid the problem and use NiMH for developement and
switch to LiIon or LiPol batteries for production, since it looks likely
that they will be available at affordable rates fairly soon.

> Greetings,
>
> Well I am still working on building a production prototype electric motor
> scooter.  I have just completed the concept prototype:
> http://lewis.up.edu/EGR/SRDesign06/umpqua/.  It has been great fun and
> lots of nights in the lab.
>
> Ok, there's the background.  Here's my problem.  The batteries.  I just
> can't win.  Mainly its business and politics.  Right now, I am leaning
> toward NIMH battereis.  As I dived deeper into research it seems that
> Ovonic completely owns the rights to NIMH in the whole developed world.
> As in, all other companies have to liscence the right from them.  I am
> concerned that if things work out good for me and my buddies, that because
> they have so much influence in this market they could controll my business
> in one way or another...Or another company who has more influence in the
> NIMH world could edge me out.  I don't care a ton about money, but I do
> want to be able to make my product.  Mabey I am over reacting.  I was just
> suprised that one company has that kind of control over a energy source.
>
> How is this for other battery types?  As far as I know the general concept
> of a lead acid or nicad batteries are public domain.  I  think it is the
> same for li-ion.  I hope someone elaborates on this.
>
> If li-ions didn't have that calendar life issue, I would switch to them.
> There are a couple of other small issues as well.
>
> What do you all think would be a good battery solution for an electric
> motor scooter?  I can work out charge/discharge/balancing issues.  That's
> just solved by putting in lots of time in the lab.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Steven Arlint
> Team Umpqua Electric Vehicles

> Check out the latest SMS services @ http://www.linuxmail.org
> This allows you to send and receive SMS through your mailbox.
>
> Powered by Outblaze

If you are talking that sort of money, just get a Lithium powered T-Zero
:-)

If you're putting something together yourself, I agree that you'll need
Lithium batteries, and Kokams look like the best option for large Ah and
high current.

As for the body, probably a 4cyl 4wd racer like a WRX or Lancer and do
the dual motor thing similar to Cliff at ProEV.
A big Zilla and 2x Warp9s is another alternative to 2x AC motors and
controllers.

See AC Propulsion or T-Zero- Used I believe nearly 7000 Lithium-ion 18650's
which I believe are AA sized.

Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Now load it up with even more AA's and
make it really scoot!

----

Someone at school had a SWR meter/analyzer that used 10 AA batteries.
The battery box claims they are 1.5v each.  Connected in series, the
device was claiming 16.1v.  I was thinking my car battery at 12 and
these 10 little batteries at 16...  pretty neat.  I wondered what is
the highest series voltage that has ever been configured using AA's?

----

Bonus story!

We had this cart with a fully working demonstration air conditioning
unit on it.  It required 28 volts DC to be hooked up to it to drive
the motor to drive the compressor.  The unit was low on freon so the
(can't think of the name) switch wouldn't let the compressor run.  The
instructor wanted to bypass it to see if the motor still worked...  He
got a good sized wire and connected it to the hot side of the solenoid
and touched it to the motor terminal..  It audibly arced and I felt he
was lucky that it didn't weld the wire to the motor post.  It did
leave a melt mark on the post and the end of the wire.  The motor
plate said 90 amps.

I would have had the power turned off, connected the wire and then
used the switch on the cart to avoid doing what he did...

---------------------------------
Celebrate Earth Day everyday!  Discover 10 things you can do to help slow
climate change. Yahoo! Earth Day

From: "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Honda 600 (in Texas?)Other Stuff.

>> >From: Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> >
>> >You mentioned the right alternative - Fiat.
>> >There are millions of Fiats, unfortunately not so many
>> >in the US. The Fiat 600 was comparable to this car, the
>> >reason for the popularity of the 600 (CC = 0.6 liter
>> >engine) was that in some countries you could drive
>> >without license in a car with engine below 600 cc (not
>> >any more as far as I know).
>> >There are two Fiat 600 on Ebay, but neither is a good
>> >candidate due to rust and such issues....
>> >Back to the Bradley GT's?

           They and other kitcars are now our best choice
for lightweight chassis, many with low aero drag too as a
plus.
            And there are some cars like the, some MR-2
among others that are both aero and light but need to use
the 1990 or before versions before all the cars really
porked out.
            An early mini truck with an aero camper shell
with other aero, rolling drag improvements could easily get
100 mpg with a modest battery pack, overall costs.
           While I like Ghia EV's Michaelia, I wouldn't chop
up a nice convertible to make one, and the convertible is
not nearly as aero as the hardtop, so better would be sell
the contvertible, buy a dead Ghia hardtop and put in
ni-cads to get great range, long battery life. I'd bet with
Saft Ni-cads at about $600/KW, would cost about $9k for
15kw,100 miles worth as you should be able to get your drag
down to 120 wthrs/mile.
           With Auto watering, cooling, no loss of range in
cold weather and just the cost of 2 AGM packs of the same
range, Ni-cads are a viable  alternative. For charging all
you need is a dumb charger and an E-meter to turn it off by
relay.

>> >  Hi EVerybody;
>
>    In Japan, and maybe the Europe, there used to be a
>series of cars that just don't exist in USA. Mini-cars?
>When I was stationed in Okinawa, hell, 40 years ago they
>had cute LITTLE cars, Mazda 800 comes to mind. Offered at
>800 Bux US they were a 2 seat minicar. They were cute, I
>could pick up ether end as a gag.Was temped to buy one,
>bring it home and convert it to Electric, but got shipped
>out. As Uncle Sam was my travel agent, didn't have much
>say.There were other tiny Japanese cars that would be ideal
>to convert, think DECENT body Citicar size, I mean with
>doors and windows that worked!

           I really liked the few I've seen, mostly Euro
ones. My favorite was a Fiat/ Abarth race kitcar and of
course the Fiat600, the first EV I ever saw.
           It was 1963 or so and there were 3 EV's parked at
the local McDonalds, one was the 600, another was a Renault
Caravelle and a Fiat 850 Spider which is what inspired me
later to build a couple EV MC's in the 70's.

>   I havent been overseas, since dinosours roamed the
>earth<g>!So I don't know what is offered in , say, Okinawa
>, Japan or Taiwan. Going with the trend that has brought us
>3000 lb's VW's WITHOUT any batteries aboard. other than a
>12 volt SLI, I don't hold out much help. The guy in the UK,
>who was griping about the price of Diseasel, and said that
>his Diesel got 55 mpg. Musta been a small car!!? Smaller
>than the long lamented Diseasel Rabbits, which could come
>darn close!
>
>   As Jerry D. points out , ya need to cut down on the dead
>weight. But for the rest of us, that arent prepared to haul
>off and just build a car, conversions are the way to go for
>now. Anybody travelred to Somewhere Else that still use
>Minicars? Gees If somebody Over There could buy up clean
>ones, strip out the ICE engine, ship them back here on a
>onzies twozies basis? In small doses you would come under
>the Saftety Nazis' radar and NO engine?Polution.

           Dead weight and aero drag are what make EV's
expensive and slow. Done right I believe EV's can easily
compete with ICE's. As the price of oil goes up with a
bullet over the next few yrs, over $75bbl yesterday, beat
them badly in costs.
          It's sad our gov won't allow EV's like the Reva
come here but at least some of one mini car is already here,
the Smart mini. 200 were imported by Panoz to convert to EV
but they backed down and sold them surplus. Personaly I
think a good used Kitcar would be better though for those
who want less work, a Smart EV conversion may be the way to
go..

                                 Jerry Dycus

Steve Arlint wrote:
> working on building a production prototype electric motor scooter...
> batteries... Ovonic completely owns the rights to NIMH in the whole
> developed world...

Yes. And Ovonic (now Cobasys) is owned by an oil company. And has been
suing anyone who tries to use nimh batteries in electric vehicles. How's
that for the basis of a conspiracy theory?

But as a practical matter, they patented the nimh battery in the 1980's,
and the patents are running out. And (mainly because of their
restrictive licensing), most nimh batteries are produced in China and
Korea, who ignore their patent claims and licenses. You can buy all you
want at Radio Shack.

> How is this for other battery types? As far as I know the general
> concept of a lead acid or nicad batteries are public domain.

Correct.

> I think it is the same for li-ion.

No; lithium based batteries are still a subject of frantic patenting and
claim-jumping. But in this case, there aren't any domineering players --
there are lots of competing approaches that are "almost as good", so no
one has been able to monopolize the market (yet).

> What do you all think would be a good battery solution for an electric
> motor scooter?

Don't lock yourself into one particular type of battery. You pick the
best battery for your application AT THE MOMENT, and go with it for now.
As circumstances change (and they always will), you change batteries.

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
> I'm assuming you mean to drop the charge current and keep it dropped?

Yes. When the first regulator turns on, it latches the charger in the
low-current "equalize" level, and it stays there until it turns off
completely (probably after some programmed length of time).

> When we drop the current, the battery that hit bypass voltage will
> drop in voltage and the batreg will turn off (correct?).

Correct. It will oscillate on/off.

> Seems to me this will slow down charging.

No, because the battery is already "full" when it hits this limit.

> Would it maybe be better (i.e. quicker) to drop to max bypass current
> while batregs are on and to some intermediate charge current when they
> turn off. I.e. Bulk charge at 20 amps, drop to 2 amps when any batreg
> is on, go back up to 5-10 amps when they are all off?

This would be likely to overcharge, because you'd be applying a high
charge current into a battery that is already full.

What I'm trying to do is bring all batteries to the same state of charge
(defined by a particular voltage at a particular current, and then STOP
them from charging any further while the charger continues to bring the
rest of them up to that same level.

If I were designing the regulators from scatch, I'd have them

 - Charger switches to a defined low constant "finishing" current
   BEFORE the first battery reaches its defined "full" voltage
   (say, 14.7v at 1 amp).
 - Regulators switch on at some slightly higher defined voltage
   (like 14.8v). This is to insure that the battery is charging at
   1 amp when it hits the threshold.
 - Regulators STAY ON, and continuously bypass the entire 1 amp
   charging current. This makes the charging current for each battery
   fall to ZERO when it hits that particular level of charge.
 - Charger shuts off either after some defined length of time
   (1-2 hours), or when the LAST battery's regulator switches on
   (whichever comes first).

This has the effect of ending charging for every battery at the SAME
voltage at the SAME current; which is a crude way to get them all to the
SAME state of charge. It's not taking into account temperature or
battery age, but it's closer than just regulating at a constant voltage
with no regard to current.

What I can't figure out is why lead is selling for record prices, but
when I take my scrap lead-acid batteries back for recycling, I still
only get 2 cents per pound -- that's the same as it's been for over 10
years.

18650's are 18mm diameter x 65mm long.
AA's are 14mm dia x 50mm long.

Volume = 3.14159 x R^2 x H

AA's volume = 7696.8 cubic mm's
18650's volume  = 16540.47 cubic mm's

So the 18650 is over double the volume of a AA cell.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> See AC Propulsion or T-Zero- Used I believe nearly 7000 Lithium-ion
18650's which I believe are AA sized.

> Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Now load it up with even more
AA's and make it really scoot!

> ----
>

> Someone at school had a SWR meter/analyzer that used 10 AA batteries.
> The battery box claims they are 1.5v each.  Connected in series, the
> device was claiming 16.1v.  I was thinking my car battery at 12 and
> these 10 little batteries at 16...  pretty neat.  I wondered what is
> the highest series voltage that has ever been configured using AA's?
>

> ----
>
> Bonus story!
>

> We had this cart with a fully working demonstration air conditioning
> unit on it.  It required 28 volts DC to be hooked up to it to drive
> the motor to drive the compressor.  The unit was low on freon so the
> (can't think of the name) switch wouldn't let the compressor run.  The
> instructor wanted to bypass it to see if the motor still worked...  He
> got a good sized wire and connected it to the hot side of the solenoid
> and touched it to the motor terminal..  It audibly arced and I felt he
> was lucky that it didn't weld the wire to the motor post.  It did
> leave a melt mark on the post and the end of the wire.  The motor
> plate said 90 amps.
>
> I would have had the power turned off, connected the wire and then
> used the switch on the cart to avoid doing what he did...
>

> ---------------------------------
> Celebrate Earth Day everyday!  Discover 10 things you can do to help
slow climate change. Yahoo! Earth Day

I have read in that article I point out earlier that there have been
several lead smelter closures. So demand has outstripped the supply.

Your recycler is just making more money off of you than before.

Do you have to disassemble the batts to recycle the lead? I'm going to
set up my cnc mill to cut open a few anyway.

Mike

Mike Phillips wrote:
> Your recycler is just making more money off of you than before.
> Do you have to disassemble the batts to recycle the lead? I'm going to
> set up my cnc mill to cut open a few anyway.

Nope; they take them whole at the scrapyard. So I'm getting 2 cents a
pound, including case and acid.

Can't tell if this has 2 motors or just one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4633850611