  1) Re: MN NEV law
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Lee regulators, 0.2
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Some problems to solve
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: 156v VW Bus with 156kZilla
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Thanks a lot Monster Garbage.  I'll bet someone is happy.
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Potbox and contractor
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Lee regulators, 0.2
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) 300 Miles Per Charge Lithium-Battery Car, front page news
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Does John really need reverse?  was:White Zombie Update...360 Volts...More
HP!
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: What people want/level of expertise to get an EV started?
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: What people want/level of expertise to get an EV started?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Thanks a lot Monster Garbage.  I'll bet someone is happy.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) Re: Lee regulators, 0.2
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Thanks a lot Monster Garbage.  I'll bet someone is happy.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: Does John really need reverse? was:White Zombie Update...360
Volts...More HP!
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: What people want/level of expertise to get an EV started?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Automatic, Manual, or CVT?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Automatic, Manual, or CVT?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Lee regulators, 0.2
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: MN NEV law
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Automatic, Manual, or CVT?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Lee regulators, 0.2
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Thanks a lot Monster Garbage.  I'll bet someone is happy.
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: 300 Miles Per Charge Lithium-Battery Car, front page news
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: MN NEV law
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: What people want/level of expertise to get an EV started?
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Tiniest Digital Panel Voltmeter?
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: MN NEV law
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Tiniest Digital Panel Voltmeter?
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Wasn't the original bill introduced to benefit a NEV manufacturer. If so, this
clause would also
help them out, less competition from the general public.

--- Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Lee Hart wrote:
> >> Minnesota bill HF1838 says...
> >> The department shall not issue a vehicle identification number to a
> >> homemade neighborhood electric or low-speed vehicle or retrofitted
> >> golf cart, and such vehicles do not qualify as neighborhood electric
> >> vehicles.
>
> Eric Poulsen wrote:
> > What's their definition of "commercial" vs "home made"? Usually state
> > law defines all of the terms used in the law. What's to stop you from
> > being a manufacturer? Get a biz license, make up a VIN, and designate
> > it an NEV.
>
> I don't know; maybe you could start a business and jump through all the
> bureaucratic hoops to build just one.
>
> I'm bothered that it is perfectly legal and straightforward to make a
> home built regular car or motorcycle (there are already rules for
> licensing them), but they chose to explicitly BAN making your own NEV,
> no matter what.
>
> Just think about how easy and inexpensive it would be to convert a
> regular car into an NEV with a smallish motor and battery pack. That is
> being forbidden.
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

LOL! I meant the schematic for your cutting back ciruitry.
When the bulb comes on, how does it communicate to the charger?

It may not matter as we don't have the same charger and mine would
take a bit of hacking to make it cut back.

I can't wait to see how this holds up in Chris's truck.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mike Phillips wrote:
> > I would have thought the element would die from vibration.
>
> These are 3v lamps. Very low voltage lamps have a short, thick filament
> wire. Notice that your car's 12v lamps don't seem to be bothered much by
> vibration.
>
> > I can see that with the charger cutting back they would glow dimly.
> > I suspect most won't have that fancy option.
>
> Fancy? My sensor is a $3.98 night light. Instead of a light bulb, it
> controls a little relay that switches the charger from "high" to "low".
>
> > Can we have a schematic?
>
> Schematic? For 3 parts in series? :-) It's just two zeners and a light
> bulb (with a resistor in parallel with the light bulb if you like that
> option).
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

OK....

I am seeing somthings that are kind of funny and DO support both out views.

First the Funny part.And some back ground for those that are not keeping
track of  "Project Mark3 on my Fiero"...

    Today's setup is... 15 3 to 4 year old Orbitals on my Zilla 2K power 11
inch Kostov power Fiero. Yea.. it can suck some amp!
The act of sucking 1000 amps is NOT the best treatment for a battery pack.
No where's Lee does this show up in a Good things to do to your pack!!!

50 amp hour batteries... at 1000 amps is 20C... Kinda fun though!!!

First data points.. all the Mk3 locked the Red LED on. So... they ALL got
sagged below 10 volts. Ok how far??? Until now.. I have not had a clue, So I
just hooked up the data cable to the front pack,
And read the Min volts on all 9 batteries, the range was 9.3 to 8.2 volts
with only one resetting. What ??? reseting???? That's gotta be below 5
volts! OUch!  1000 amps pretty much flattened the Orbs!
I bet my Low voltage setting on the Zilla kept the number from going any
lower. Sheesh!! and these are the Mighty Orbs.

First blush is.. one battery has to leave before I open it... The soft
battery Is #8 up front. This is NOT the same battery that won't charge up to
14 volts with 20 hours of equalization time. Funny What looks stiff on
charge is not nessarily the one that drops of the face of the earth under a
hammering load.  Hummm Strange.

So.. I need to some how trap one of these events and show all us Listers
what is happening.. Kinda interesting, Racers should fear this...I will find
the weak ones... hopefully without anymore lead vapor on the pant legs...
since I wear shorts... that is NOT a good thing.

But for days... I have been letting the Regs and the charger just do thier
thing... Hot regs, Digital tracking and analog feed back to the
charger...all that good stuff that I have been preaching about. It's fun to
watch the pack actually drift into equalization...hammer it.. and then watch
it repair it self. But... getting all the battereis to stay locked into peak
voltage and low current is infuriatingly hard to do. Those that voltage
spike early, and take control of the charger... are not the ones that hold
the pack to low amps when the current has tapered to less than 2 amps.
I had the Fiero off line for about 2 weeks waiting for motor work. So the
front and back pack were not being equalized, and Well the back pack had not
had any Reg of any kind on them, and the front have the first 9 Mk3 Regs
that are seeing real action. Fact is the Mk3regs Do drink power... LOTS more
than the Mk2B, but that's because we have not added in the low power sleep
modes that we know we need to keep just this from happening. So the front 9
saw about 50 Ma loads for 10 days.. the back saw only thier self discharge.
In a week this amounted to quite a big difference.  After the the first
ride.. on charge I caught a 16.9 volt peak on one of the back batteries.
DIVE! for the charger throttles! The back have to have regs. I got that done
between realatives and a nasty chest cold.. more drift.. more data for the
BMS to sort through.

Clearly holding the pack to less than 2 amps.. for some is not enough, for
others, it's way too much. All do trend to my target of 14.8. some get
close.. some have to have LOT of bypassing to hold them down to 14.8.
Putting a Lid on all of them at 14.79 is a Safe mode... but it's not the
total story.  But it solves the rapid Killing that happens if you don't.
Getting a perfect charge on all the batteries, only helps the longevity.
Most of my efforts to this time have been to get them full and Not kill
them. Now comes the subtilties in getting them all to a perfect charge.

Keep in mind that the charger has a set voltage peak of 222 volts This is
exactly 14.8 volts for every one of the 15 Orbs. The Regs clamp every
battery to not excede 14.8, and while they bypass they also trigger the
charger to drop back power. This prevents the Regs from having blow off the
entire output of the charger.  This is the Reg generated feedback to the
charger. It makes for some really nice automated peak voltage control for
every battery.  I find that rarley does the charger voltage regulation go
active, almost always there is a Reg that takes control before the total
peak is reached.

Lee I will keep the 14.22 volts in mind. But this number also needs to be
preceded with a temperature and a spec gravity of the Acid. The 14.22 is
just too tight a number for all Lead Acid cells.
Since I know that every flavor has slightly different Spec grav numbers, and
acid concetration and temp are the key factors in cell voltage.
Understood is that you probably mean at 68 Deg F, 1.260 Spec gravity,
flooded chemistry, and held there while watching for Gas bubbles. Pure lead
plates in mint condition.

More later But this is a on going effort and the stories are pretty good for
us Ev Geeks.

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro

From: "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: White Zombie Update...360 Volts...More HP!
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 01:04:57 -0400

 Date:  4/25/06 12:27:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Hudson)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 Am I surprised?  Not really.  Just like the earlier show that featured
 the "Goin' Postal" van conversion, this show was far from a recruiting
 tool for ordinary people looking to get into EVs.  You don't show people
 with sparks flying off uninsulated wrenches and vehicles with motors
 shearing off keys and sputtering down the track to someone who just
 wants reliable, safe transportation.

 -Tom >>
If I did not know better it seams like these shows could have oil co,s behind
them to discorage the potential use of evs.Both gp and mg would scare the
average auto mechanic watching the shows from building an EV.     Dennis Berube

damon henry wrote:
> I thought the reverse thing was one of the new rules laid out by the ultra
> secret Nedra Conspirators that lead to the implosion of the whole
> organization.  As far as I can tell John no longer needs reverse.

It's my understanding if John races at an NHRA track, he needs reverse
as per the rulebook...

http://www.imgtank.com/hpics/643904reverse814.png

If you do a long burnout and go past the start line, how are you going
to move the vehicle back otherwise?  Seen any big cars lay rubber for
~300'+?

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2006/rules/index.html