  1) New AC system option (was Re: Nissan AC conversion)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Does John really need reverse? was:White Zombie Update...360
Volts...More HP!
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Reverse with series motors, was: Does John really need reverse? w
        as:White Zombie
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Torque per amp
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: V28 battery (was Re: Thanks a lot Monster Garbage.  I'll bet someone
is happy.)
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Speedometer without a transmission?
        by "Stefan T. Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Correction: Re: New AC system..
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: New AC system option (was Re: Nissan AC conversion)
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: 'Simply Given? was:White Zombie Update...
 10) Re: New AC system option (was Re: Nissan AC conversion)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Thoughts on getting publicity
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) blown fuse
        by Calvin King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Does John really need reverse? was:White Zombie Update...360
Volts...More HP!
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: EMB's .. Electro Mechanical Batteries
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) running hot
        by brian baumel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Does John really need reverse? was:White Zombie Update...360
 Volts...More HP!
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Can someone correct a misunderstanding?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: running hot
        by "Mark Grasser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Does John really need reverse? was:White Zombie
  Update...360 Volts...More HP!
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: EMB's .. Electro Mechanical Batteries
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
George and all,

Don't bother, that is way to much for that motor.

Contact Victor at www.metricmind.com

He sells brand new Seimens AC motors plus he has the mating controller
with integrated DC-DC converter and contactors, plus he has shaft couplers
if needed for his motors.  I believe if you buy them from him, you will
also get a warranty.

Yes, we offer 10 years warranty on all Siemens hardware.

If you want to buy just the motor alone, he can
probably beat that ebay price.

Sorry, no motors or inverters alone.

Plus if you buy from Victor you get all of his knowledge and experience
for free (heck of a deal).

Thanks Peter, will take it as a compliment :-)

The other AC option is to buy a solectria motor and controller.  I have a
solectria setup, though I haven't ahd time to put it into anything yet. It's a very nice setup, but a little on the wimpy side. Should be ok for
a lightweight EV.  Solectria has larger motors available, but I think
Victor offers a wider variety including even more powerful motors.

I believe Shari Prange at Electro Automotive carries Solectria setups:
http://www.electroauto.com/

If you want low (120-144V) AC setup for a compact commuter, here is
a deal:

All, there is an opportunity to get low voltage version of Siemens
AC system. Simovert 6SV-1 long inverter 65VDC...160VDC input) and
1FV5104WS09 AC synchronous motor. The motor has a max torque of 75 Nm
and a max motor speed of 6000 rpm. Max power of the system is
30...35kW then. It was used in City STROMer - OEM built (in Europe)
VW Golf.

Here you can see a photo of the STROMer: (third vehicle on the first row
of photos): http://www.metricmind.com/photo.htm.

With only 96VDC traction battery the system in STROMer
delivers 22 kW: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/160.html

While in Holland, I had a chance to drive this vehicle.
Granted, not a rocket, but very adequate for commuting needs.
This particular one uses lead acid 6V Dryfit batteries
so is a bit heavier than could have been if 12V batteries
would be used. Depends on your needs.

The long inverter contains inverter itself, 60A DC-DC converter
*and* main/precharge contactors all integrated into one unit.

If you haven't seen this photo, here is what a long 6SV-1 inverter
look like: http://www.metricmind.com/ac_honda/images/finished_full.jpg
(this is my vehicle). The main contactors are visible in this photo
(right side): http://www.metricmind.com/images/l_open.jpg

High integration level allows very simple setup and wiring.
No need to worry about DC-DC, contactors, reversing (if you want
reverse) etc. 2 cables DC in, 3 cables to motor out, one interface
plug for dash controls (will be supplied pre-wired). That's it.
High quality throttle pot is supplied as well.
You only connect "on switch", "start" pushbutton and forward/reverse
toggle switch. Diagnostic lamps (or LEDs) are optional.

Of course you get all the benefits of regen, electric reverse,
whole slew of programmable parameters. Read more about
inverter features here:

http://www.metricmind.com/features.htm or better yet download
installation manual: http://www.metricmind.com/data/man_w.pdf

The motor has flange face mating with VW tranny but of course
as with any adapter plate can be bolted to any tranny.
Good thing is you don't need the shaft coupler either:
the shaft already cones with OEM made hub ready to bolt
a flywheel to. Few photos of the motor:

http://www.metricmind.com/misc/5109/1fv5104ws09_001.jpg
http://www.metricmind.com/misc/5109/1fv5104ws09_001.jpg
http://www.metricmind.com/misc/5109/1fv5104ws09_001.jpg
http://www.metricmind.com/misc/5109/1fv5104ws09_001.jpg
http://www.metricmind.com/misc/5109/1fv5104ws09_001.jpg
http://www.metricmind.com/misc/5109/1fv5104ws09_001.jpg

The motors have been in a few storages for a long time
(thus some rust and scratches from handling), but are
unused.

All systems will have full 10 years warranty.

The cost: few first systems (may be 10-15 or so) will be
sold for $4.6k everything: see it as $2.3k motor and $2.3k
inverter. Only together, preprogrammed to work together,
no fiddling please.

People often comment on the efficiency of a low voltage setups,
AC in particular. Here is a combined (motor+inverter) efficiency
map for this very system in OEM City STROMer.
http://www.metricmind.com/misc/5109/efficiency_5104ws09.jpg
It shows that you should stay above 2000 RPM to get better
than 80% overall. See it as ~90% motor and ~90% inverter.

Please contact me off list if you have any questions, but I don't
have much more technical details than above. Serious inquiries
only please. The quote may change depending how fast these go, but
will be as specified for at least first 10 systems.

Thanks all,

'91 ACRX - something different

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:56, Andrew Letton wrote:
...plus, the bendix drive on all starters I'm aware of will only allow it to engage in one direction. On second thought, my dad's 1950 Chevy pickup had a big mechanical starter button on the floorboard. I wonder if that actually moved the starter into engagement with ring gear or if it was just an electrical switch. Anybody know if there are starters that don't have a "conventional" bendix drive? Or perhaps get a starter that is designed to turn the opposite direction (Honda?) from what your car was designed for so the bendix works _only_ in reverse.
cheers,
Andrew

With the ice motor out of the way, mount the starter backward. A little more engineering, but shouldn't be that hard.

But if you still have a flywheel, you prolly still have the transmission.

The harder problem that prompts the question is the direct drives. Either the main motor(s) have to be reversible - with the problems of a drivetrain optimized to maximum forward thrust (not any harder than getting an ice motor to run backward if it had no tansmission) or some auxiliary system must handle it, adding weight.

John F. Norton
via T-Mobile Sidekick

There is a way to add reverse to a setup with series motors
without affecting the main current path (so not additional
resistance/cable/contactors) are in the main (forward) drive.

Essentially it needs an additional 2-pole contactor near the
motor(s) to temporarily shunt the field and armature in
anti-parallel to the controller.
This is very inefficient as a drive, but you are not racing
backwards, so that is no problem.

This solution can be used on single as well as on siamese
series setups.

On single motor it is easy:
If one side of the Armature is connected to the +motor
output of the controller, then:
- the extra contactor has one pole connecting the other
  side or the Armature winding (and one side of the Field)
  to the -motor output of the controller, and
- the other pole of the extra contactor runs the other
  side of the Field also to the +motor output of the
  controller.

The current through the Field winding is now reversed and
the motor runs backwards, controlled by the accelerator
and the flip of a 'reverse' switch to disable the normal
contactor(s) (especially in a series/parallel setup) and
enable the extra reverse contactor.

If the (extra) contactor sits right next to the motor(s)
then there are only short and light cables to the motor(s)
needed, as reversing is not done for a long run, so 2 AWG
cables should work fine and all but one connections can be
taken from the motor(s):
- hook up to the Field-Armature series wire(s)
- hook up to both motor feeding wires
Only the -motor output in above example needs to be taken
from the other side of the main contactor.

I realize that most will not have their main contactor in
the motor loop on a single motor setup, this idea started
from the twin motor with series/parallel switching as
shown in the clipped text from an earlier email below my sig.

Still it can be done for a single motor as well.

I have another idea to avoid the main contactor in the motor
wiringa nd still get reverse drive, but I'll describe that
in a separate posting.

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

Below is part the email I sent some months ago about
reverse with 2 series motors:
Anti-parallel reverse idea:
This idea does not change the number of contactors or
resistance of your main drive setup but depends on
you having two motors and external access to the
connection between field and armture winding and will
use the series motors in a much less efficient parallel
motor setup, but since you won't be racing backwards,
this setup may work for you, in particular when you have
the two motors with the field coils attached to the
series contactor (note: you can randomly select in which
order the Field and Armature windings are connected, as
long as the current runs the same direction through both
then the motor will run identical).
The usual setup for a series connection (omitting the
two parallel-switching contactors for clarity) is:
+ motor1 series motor2 -
with + and - the controller's motor outputs and
with "series" the series contactor.
Now lets split each motor in its Armature and Field
windings:
+ Armature1 Field1 series Field2 Armature2 -
We see that as soon as the "series" contactor closes,
the same current runs through all of the windings.
Now assume that we add two extra contactors, each
running from the connection between a motor's Field
and Armature winding to the opposite motor-output
of the controller: (X1 and X2 are the contactors)
+ Armature1 \ Field1 series Field2 / Armature2 -
             \ X1 -          + X2 /
You can see that when the contactors close the
connections and voltages on the windings are reversed
for the two Field windings:
+ Armature1 - Field1 series Field2 + Armature2 -
In other words: when both X1, X2 as well as the series
contactor are closed, the two motors are running in
reverse, with the two Armature windings parallel across
the controller and the series of the two Field windings
also parallel to the two Armature windings, but with
current in the opposite direction.
This means that a lot of current will be drawn, mostly
by the low resistance Field windings (that's why they
better be in series to double the resistance and allow
twice as much current through the Armature) but still
it will need a good current-limiter in the controller!

The beauty is that you do not need to add motors, only
2 very short cables and 2 contactors, bolting right
onto the motors themselves. In addition, you can
control the "reverse" drive with the accelerator pedal,
through the controller.

If you are not sure if the parallel-switched motor
setup will deliver enough power (ie not short the
controller before moving the car) then you can
easily rig it up with 2 short cables WITHOUT even
bothering about the contactors and test the reverse
drive to see if you have some power.
My guess is that you have only about 10% of the
forward power in reverse, due to the unbalanced
current, mostly flowing through the Field windings.
You would have a very clean setup though, no need
for big cables into the cabin, only one additional
control line to the two additional contactors.

Hello Jeff,

If you do not have a clutch, or even a lock up torque converter that can be
used instead of a clutch, it will be hard to keep running the motor at some
higher rpm to reduce the starting torque.

This is why I have a clutch or lock up torque converter for a standard
transmission.  My vehicle had a automatic at one time and could idle with
out a torque converter.  At the time did not have a pump pressure release
system, that they have today which worn out the disc's in with 1000 miles.

A friend of my just bought one of those Monster Pickup Trucks from GM, that
have 6 speeds auto and 6 speeds manual.  In the manual position, it has to
be shift like a standard manual transmission, except there is a pressure
relief system to control the value body.

If I want to service the A/C unit, power steering, vacuum, and rotating
DC-DC-DC-AC inverter which either drives off the pilot shaft of the motor
threw a Flexidine Coupler, and a Dodge electric  clutch or a electric drive
motor, I need to eyeball all these systems while the motor is running,
without putting a stick against the accelerator peddle.

If I am coasting down a long icy hill, the accessory motor drive shuts down,
drawing 0 amps from the battery, then the Dodge electric clutch connects the
main motor to the accessory drive,  this acts just like compression braking
of a ICE and the main motor amps also reads 0 amps.  This provides a
mechanical REGEN to the accessory drive and at the same time provides
braking instead of wasting this energy in a large resistor if the batteries
cannot accept anymore energy.

This is the reason, I have all these indicators to monitor all these units,
control circuits, and back up circuits.

In 30 years of driving, I had two faults.  The first one was a small control
fuse blow.  The fuse indicator lite up which tells, me exactly what happens,
and I switch over to a back up circuit. Took me only 15 seconds to
troubleshoot and repair.

The second fault, was a field winding opening up after running 29 years.

Instead of using a backup circuits, you could use double fuse holders, where
one fuse is active and the other is a in place spare.
To make it maintenance ease, I use fuse indicators, that show which fuse is
blown.