  1) Re: Does John really need reverse? was:White Zombie Update...360
Volts...More HP!
        by Tim Brehm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: EMB's .. Electro Mechanical Batteries
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: running hot
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) blown fuse
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: running hot
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Does John really need reverse? was:White Zombie
  Update...360 Volts...More HP!
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Does John really need reverse? was:White Zombie Update...360
Volts...More HP!
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: running hot
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: New AC system option (was Re: Nissan AC conversion)
        by "george.underwood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Zilla anyone
        by Seth Rothenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) TEVan info needed
        by "evranger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: New AC system option (was Re: Nissan AC conversion)
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: TEVan info needed
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: V28 battery (and other lithium cells)
        by J Z <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Does John really need reverse? was:White Zombie  Update...360
Volts...More HP!
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Now that's a hybrid
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: New AC system option (was Re: Nissan AC conversion)
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: TEVan info needed
        by "evranger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Does John really need reverse? was:White Zombie
  Update...360 Volts...More HP!
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Does John really need reverse? was:White Zombie
  Update...360 Volts...More HP!
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Reverse with series motors, was: Does John really need revers
        e? was:White Zombie
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Neon John wrote

  "Look at how much farther ahead John is simply by
virtue of being given high performance batteries and the one-off
custom-built motor."

   I can tell you first hand that these items along with most of the other
performance parts were not "just given"to him. Any of you who really know John
Wayland know he is always working on new sponsors. I have been part of the
Plasmaboy racing team for a little over a year and have seen John pull off some
amazing deals with his sponsors, but he always delivers everything he promises
to them. What you guys don't see is all the potential sponsors that turn us
away almost daily. That makes us appreciate the sponsors we have that much
more, besides I'll bet not many people building EV's in their backyard shops
would turn down free parts.

  Tim Brehm

I'm NOT a flywheel expert nor a materials nor a kinetics expert so I
quite possibly could be wrong in concept or have made a math mistake
and I welcome corrections.  But I don't think I'm wrong.

Speaking from experience, you're probably on the right track. I have extensive experience with Digital RM series disk drives, particularly the RM03/RP06 series.

This is (I have four of them still) a dishwasher sized disk drive that stores a whopping 67mb of data on 5 15 inch platters. Actually it stores the data on 2.5 platters, servo on one side of a platter and two more are for protection. The RP06 used 10 platters if I recall correctly.

The drive spins at a speed of 3600 RPM and takes a 1 hp motor about a minute or so to spin up to speed. I have witnessed a head crash, the drive literally ripped the heads and the track assembly off an Al base and wrapped it around the spindle. The 500 pound drive itself also left a mark on the wall where it hit after jumping.

Given that a flywheel spins at a higher rate and is heavier, I would not want to be near one when it blows a bearing.

Brian,

When I had a Zapi controller (also H2 w/regen), I tried mounting
it to a flat plate that had 'fins' bolted onto the opposite side.
I made the fins from channel aluminum used for sliding shower
doors.  The controller still got hot.  Then I made a liquid-cooled
cold plate from a piece of flat stock.  I have some old pictures
online at http://www.aracnet.com/~rmerwin/prizm/heatsink.html
The original flow didn't work very well so I re-plugged the holes
to make a serpintine path.  This worked pretty good.

Ralph

brian baumel writes:

> hi everyone!
> had the state patrol inspect my car today. luckily the
> inspection site is only about 6miles from my place.
> unluckily though it seems my controller over heats at
> about 5miles. i was only going 30mph average. why am i
> over heating??? it is a zapi H2B w/regen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).
> its mounted to a 18" X 22" X 1/4" aluminum plate with
> a liberal amount of heat sink compound. the plate is
> getting hot as well so this suggests to me that there
> is good heat transfer... im running a 8" GE on a VW
> beetle trans. does anyone have suggestions? is
> everyong else cooling thier controllers air/forced
> air/liquid??? or should this not be running so hot at
> this lower pwr output?
>
> thanks for the input!
> Brian

> http://mail.yahoo.com

I am less qualified than others on this list to answer, but will have a go
You didn't specify if it blows fuse immediately or after a bit of chargeing.

Leakage current from accumulated acid spray ?? measure from chassis to
points on pack to isolate and clean the battery tops off if you find
something.

to get it to stay on ,put a lightbulb socket in series with the line of
the charger and turn it on at a low current(if you have such control)

if the light flashes and stops the charger is probably just chargeing
it's internal capacitors but not running.
if the light comes goes dim and steady it is running and now you can get
your meter and measure from chassis ground to various points on the pack
for a live test.(be careful)

If the light comes on bright and stays that way, There may be an
internal short to ground in the charger, seek medical treatment.

Your controller shouldn't be overheating unless there is something
unusual about your situation that you haven't told us.  You
haven't given any clues about possible reasons for overheating.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that you are running in 4th gear and not
downshifting to accelerate or climb hills.  That can overheat the controller
and the motor, too.  Use the gears to keep the motor and controller
current down.  Keep the motor revs up.

----- Original Message ----- From: "brian baumel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
had the state patrol inspect my car today. luckily the
inspection site is only about 6miles from my place.
unluckily though it seems my controller over heats at
about 5miles. i was only going 30mph average. why am i
over heating??? it is a zapi H2B w/regen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).
its mounted to a 18" X 22" X 1/4" aluminum plate with
a liberal amount of heat sink compound. the plate is
getting hot as well so this suggests to me that there
is good heat transfer... im running a 8" GE on a VW
beetle trans. does anyone have suggestions? is
everyong else cooling thier controllers air/forced
air/liquid??? or should this not be running so hot at
this lower pwr output?

thanks for the input!
Brian

At 09:43 PM 26/04/06 -0500, Mike Chancey wrote:
<snip> more clever solution will have to be devised to couple this up.

Yet another motor on the front of the Siamese 8? Okay, just a starter motor, and it would only couple up when powered, but is there any room left?

Hi Mike, John and all

I talked with John a few weeks ago about a way of re-wiring the existing motors so that *with no additional high power contacts* he can get reverse on the siamese pair. It requires an additional little low-voltage controller and two little changeover contactors to reverse power the motors with normal accelerator control, powered from the auxiliary battery. A bit of jiggery-pokery to get the current path, but the theory works - but does it work in the real world?

So that was why I asked the reverse question, has John been able to implement it, and how well does it work if he has?

Regards

James

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Shanab" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>