  1) Re: WarP 9" motor efficiency and max voltage?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) Firefly Energy Wins Frost & Sullivan Technology Innovation Award
 for Carbon-Foam Lead-Acid Battery
        by "Dr. Polsinelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: converting a gas mower to electric
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EV Charging station
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Article 625
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) PHEV hybrid battery possible?
        by Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: High Voltage Nationals
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: PHEV hybrid battery possible?
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Article 625
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Article 625
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Wheels/Tires and rolling resistance
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Team NEDRA dragster?
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: PHEV hybrid battery possible?
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Deka Dominators - latest Jetta conversion brainstorm..
        by "Matthew D. Graham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Article 625
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Article 625
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Wheels/Tires and rolling resistance
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Article 625
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: PHEV hybrid battery possible?
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) FWD: Good news: a Prius PHEV hybrid-battery solution to the CCL conundrum
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Wheels/Tires and rolling resistance
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Joule Injected Nissan at the EV Rally (part 1 - the damage)
        by "Matthew D. Graham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I have put my VW pickup on a jet dyno.

11" KOstov, 240 volts(Hawkers), Z2K

At 2000 rpm 400 ft-lbs, 170 hp.

I have no current readings.

Will have to scan  graphs.

Robert Salem

> Roland wrote:
>
> > HP - 39
> > Torque - 24 ft lbs
>
> It will be nice when we get some EV's on a chassis dyno and show what
> their real numbers are..
>
> http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5595/dynosheet4la.jpg
>
> http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1023/tdyno12gw.jpg
>
> I plan on running mine on one.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Frost & Sullivan selected <http://www.frost.com/prod/servlet/press-release.pag?docid=68263239> Caterpillar spin-off Firefly Energy <http://www.fireflyenergy.com/> as the recipient of its 2006 Technology Innovation Award in the field of advanced lead acid battery technologies for developing an innovative graphite-foam lead-acid battery that could cause disruptive changes in the market. (Earlier post <http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/01/firefly_energy_.html>.)

The lead acid cell, a technology born in the 1850s, is reliable, safe and inexpensive. It can also handle large surges in current, which makes it attractive to the world's automobile manufacturers. However, the lead acid cell realizes little of its theoretical power density and has a relatively short battery life.

   /While somewhat newer battery technologies like Lithium Ion and
   Nickel Metal Hydride offer alternatives to traditional lead acid
   cells, they have their own set of issues including higher costs.
   Even though these advanced batteries have certain features that
   improve upon the traditional lead acid cell, they cannot match all
   its features and consequently, innovators such as Firefly Energy
   believe they can improve the lead acid cell to match lithium ion and
   the nickel metal hydrides./

   ---Sivam Sabesan, Frost & Sullivan Research Analyst

read more:
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/05/firefly_energy_.html#more

Michael S Briggs wrote:
> I'm not looking at converting a *car* to electric -- I want to
> convert a riding lawnmower.

That's a fairly straightforward thing to do.

GE made a large number of electric garden tractors in the 1970's under
the "ElecTrak" name. There were several sizes (E8, E10, E12...) and
several other companies marketed them under their name (Wheel Horse, New
Idea). They were very durable, and many are still around and in regular
use. You could buy one used; or look at one to get ideas for doing your
own conversion.

The garden tractor style of riding lawm mower is the best start. Cheap
riding mowers are too flimsily built, and can't carry enough batteries
to bother with.

A friend and I converted his old Wheel Horse garden tractor to electric.
It was a pretty simple process. We replaced the dead 8hp gas engine with
a 1.5hp 24v electric motor, and a separate 24v 3/4hp motor for the mower
deck. We initially used two 12v deep-cycle batteries, but mowing time
was too short (20 minutes). We replaced these to four 6v golf cart
batteries, and it could mow for up to an hour.

I also converted a corded mower to battery, and used it for a number of
years. I used sixty Gates 2v 2.5ah cells (each about the size of a "D"
cell). This pack was fairly light so the mower was still easy to push,
but run time was only 15-20 minutes. If I were to do it again, I would
make *two* battery packs, with a quick-change method so one could be on
charge while the other was in use.

Dave Cover wrote:
> Maybe the price of oil will push us back towards another boom cycle.

We can hope; but it takes 10 years for that pendulum to swing. We're
probably somewhere near the lowest point in a cycle right now.

> Is this the most daunting paragraph to overcome?
> (b) Noninterchangeability...

The problem is more serious than that. Article 625 does not just set an
unrealistically high standard for the connector. It sets unreasonable
standards for *every* part of the charging system!

For example, the wire must be special "EV" wire, and marked as such.

Ventilation requirements are extreme, for anything except sealed
batteries (and they define sealed as "hermetically sealed". There *is*
no such thing as a hermetically sealed battery!)

--- Begin Message --- Does anybody know if anybody has tried to convert a prius to PHEV with a hybrid battery configuration? I looked on the PHEV sites and only found attempts converting the gen3(2004-2005) prius' with BMS' and a SOC spoof but only speculation that it might work with a hybrid battery config, which seems an easier though not as efficient way that more people could use.

Bob, All

We just picked up some new projects that are going to preclude us from preparing the OJ-2 for race time. ...the OJ is hanging on the wall unfinished and untested. Additionally, I stole the disconnect/ breaker box and "OH ____" lever for the Monster Garage project. We have not had time to build and install a new one. So OJ is out for Chicago

Say it isn't so! Getting to finally see your machine in person was to be one of the highlights for me on this very long cross country trip. In addition, for the first ever High Voltage Nationals, we really need to put on an impressive show. Two rails are far better than one. Besides, how can you not bring Orange Juice, when like my car, it's featured on the flyer as one of the race cars spectators will be coming to see at this EVent?

I've been laid out flat for nearly a week now with a terrible flu-cold thing, and just this morning was the first time in 6 days my throat hasn't felt like White Zombie was doing a burnout in there. I've lost pretty much a week of precious race preparation time, but team Plasma Boy is still coming! I delegated jobs to others while I've been trying to get well.

Shawn, you're the same guy who helped build that Monster Garage machine against all odds! And you say you can't make a knife switch and throw in a couple of BIG fuses to replace the circuit breakers? Come on, if I can lose a week and still get two EVs ready for the 4000 mile round trip in time, surely you could get that awesome EV to the same show? If you need a controller, I've got Godzilla #003 I can bring along...I'll even help install it for you.

See Ya......John Wayland

CalCar.org for one.

Mike

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:59:50AM -0500, Lee Hart wrote:
> > Is this the most daunting paragraph to overcome?
> > (b) Noninterchangeability...
>
> The problem is more serious than that. Article 625 does not just set an
> unrealistically high standard for the connector. It sets unreasonable
> standards for *every* part of the charging system!

I take it you're not a fan. :)

> For example, the wire must be special "EV" wire, and marked as such.

I wonder what makes EV wire different from normal wire? Why would they add
such strange requirements?

> Ventilation requirements are extreme, for anything except sealed
> batteries (and they define sealed as "hermetically sealed". There *is*
> no such thing as a hermetically sealed battery!)

Yea, all the charging equipment I've seen for Magnicharge says "No flooded",
and the AVcon head I have has 2 pages of instructions for connecting explosion
proof ventilation fans if charging in "a garage or other enclosed area".

Are the 625 requirements more extreme then this?

Are the AVcon units really up to spec?

Thanks!

Nick Austin wrote:
> I thought that even if you were setting up a public charging station
> that only provides standard AC, then Art 625 applies.

Article 625-4 says, "Unless other voltages are specified, the nominal AC
system voltages of 120, 120/240, 208Y/120, 240, 480Y/277, 480, 600Y/347,
and 600 volts shall be used to supply equipment covered by this
article." It does not appear to cover charging done with DC, or at other
voltages.

Hello all,

I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed but I don't seem to be
able to access the
Web Archive to do a search and the manual index EV and the get for each archive
seems to be like
some archaic form of punishment, so here goes ...

I will be needing to get new tires on my new EV, a 1993 Ford Escort converted
by Soleq. It has
currently 165/70 R13 tires, Goodyears in the front and Michelins in the back,
some bulging a bit
and others slow leaking.

I was curious if there would be any rolling resistance advantage to going with
a larger wheel and
a lower profile tire and still retain the same braking performance and load
carrying. (The vehicle
with batteries is a little over 4000 lbs.) I am not concerned too much with
cornering or steering
response (other than basic safety) or cushy ride. Are there other ways to
improve the rolling
resistance? What replacement tires could be recommended?

My boys would like the 'look' of the larger wheels and I may as well if I can
find the right ones,
but in doing some research I have found that for the most part larger diameter
wheels/tires
usually implies wider as well which more than offsets the advantage of the
stiffer sidewall.

Total wheel/tire weight and distribution also came up in my research. Although
I am not going to
be drag racing.

One of the immediate plans I had for a "new" NEDRA" if I had been successful in my election bid was to build a Team NEDRA dragster.

Great idea! Lots of possibilities.

-Ken Trough
V is for Voltage
http://visforvoltage.com
AIM/YM - ktrough
FAX/voice message - 206-339-VOLT (8658)

Yes, and Ron Gremban just posted a new alternative in the Seattle ev group and
the prius plus
groups. He is still spoofing the perceived SOC, but is doing so with the hybrid
OEM battery
switching in and out of parallel with the additional PHEV battery pack.

--- Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> CalCar.org for one.
>
> Mike
>

> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody know if anybody has tried to convert a prius to PHEV
> with a
> > hybrid battery configuration?  I looked on the PHEV sites and only
> found
> > attempts converting the gen3(2004-2005) prius' with BMS' and a SOC
> spoof
> > but only speculation that it might work with a hybrid battery config,
> > which seems an easier though not as efficient way that more people
> could
> > use.

Hey Brad and others,

I got a good chuckle after your last post, because it takes me back to times
where I re-thought a design aspect several times over. I recognize the same
frustration when you feel you're on to something, but the complexity of it,
and in this case, the concern over the Dominator's performance, brings you
back to a simpler approach. I'm glad to see that it's only frustration and
not *exasperation*, and that you're moving on with the project, now
convinced of which is the better approach.

For the rest of you on the list, Brad and I got to talk at Steve's EV Rally
in Fort Pierce over the weekend. We talked about his dual Orbital/Dominator
battery string idea and the Deka Dominator published specs. I think you're
much better off with just the Orbitals when considering cost, system
complexity and performance.

You do have a challenge in trying to cleanly fit 32 Orbitals in the Jetta,
though. Locating 25 in the 240SX was straightforward, but I wouldn't want to
try to jam in another seven of them. I imagine you'll have to beef up the
rear suspension and put the majority of the batteries in the back. You're
not kidding about that making for a stiff 192V pack, though!

You made a comment in your next post about the benefit of mounting through
the Orbitals. I agree it's convenient, and I used that method for all 25 of
my Orbitals, but don't feel that you must use this approach. Looking back on
the battery installation for the Nissan, I might have considered orienting
the batteries and regs differently so that a single hold-down beam could be
used instead. Of course there are pluses and minuses to both approaches. If
you intend to use regs, then the local (rather than remote) installation
method might be a deal-breaker for the single beam approach.

Keep us posted on the project!

Matt Graham
300V "Joule Injected" Nissan
http://www.jouleinjected.com