  1) Re: Ford bolts, ie. battery clamp bolts
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) E-meter repairs, plus OT mine rescue.
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Fort Pierce rally part 1
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Baylor)
  4) RE: Article 625 .. face to face .. with that ONE "genius" who
  inflicted this "absurdity" on the rest of us .....
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Article 625 .. face to face .. with that ONE "genius" who inflicted
this "absurdity" on the rest of us .....
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Fort Pierce rally part 1
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Baylor)
  7) bulb regs and Magnechargers
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Steering unit
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Sources of Energy
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Fixing a Mower Conversion
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Regen question again :-(
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Logos (was RE: sheilding for zilla wiring)
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Regen question again :-(
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Article 625 .. face to face .. with that ONE "genius" who inflicted
this "absurdity" on the rest of us .....
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Sources of Energy
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Pot Box Adjustments for a Zilla
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Raptor Overheating
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Still blowing fuses
        by Calvin King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) EMB's .. hey .. its a commercial product already ..
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Steering unit
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) EMB .. commercial product .. 'regenerative braking' ??
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Fixing a Mower Conversion
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) hey ! where is the EV market ?
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Still blowing fuses
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) the tango vs other EV's of the future ..
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: converting a gas mower to electric
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: steering unit
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: So what's the big deal?
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I believe the term you are wanting is Parkerized.

I have seen some companies just use a heavy grease to seal the exposed metal, anything to keep the corrosive atmosphere away from the exposed surface, although it is somewhate messy.

respectfully,
John

58 Harley Servicar conversion in progress
www.indele.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Hursch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Before assuming it is complete absurdity, consider such things as
> failure modes, etc.

> There's lots to dislike about Article 625, but that doesn't mean there
> aren't sound reasons for at least some of what it contains.

quite on the point .. and i agree fully .. there always ARE several
good points in most laws .. there is no doubt that these are not
only good, but need to be implemented properly .. else we all
will land up doing what we think is the only right way .. which
may hurt, affect other people

my suggestion to have a look at the guy(s) who are the cause
of the 'absurd' parts of laws, rules, procedures .. do apply ONLY
to the 'absurd' parts of those thingys .. especially when there are
very powerful vested interests which force such absurd, strict,
debilitating provisions to be inserted into the rules & procedures

there will always be people who would want others to NOT do things
which hurt their interests .. this is a natural thing .. happens all the
time

but it IS upto those responsible for making the rules to ensure that
this does NOT happen .. and when it does, it will be perhaps okay
to know the guy(s) behind the wrongs inflicted

..peekay

Ack! correction.. Steve has a Warp 11 in the truck! Was thinking about
the Warp 9 I ordered from him.. :-P

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Today I did the first full drive with the car after installing the regs. A short drive, just 6ah worth. Then I put the car on the Magnecharger and checked in an hour later.

The car was already down to the trickle charge rate, with 4.5ah to go. Interesting; I set the car to charge at 6a till 340, then kick down to 1.0a to 365. And voltage was only 330 at 1.0a rate.

So I looked at the temp sensors and went "oooh".

The regs are bolted to the copper interconnects which connect the batteries. The temp sensors are flush with 7 interconnects throughout the batteries. Thus I can watch the post temps of 14 batteries out of 50. Fairly good sample.

Well, two of the temp sensors were reading 32c, while the rest were reading 27c. This was causing the temp compensation (.1mv/cell) to tell the MC the battery voltage was 10 volts higher than it was, thus kicking the charger to the next step early.

Restarting the charge and watching temps was interesting. I watched as those temp sensors went up to 34c, which once again kicked the MC to stage 2 (lower current). This then caused voltage to drop and temp to drop as well.

Apparently what I am seeing is the regs kicking in. When they kick in on a battery they start dissipating heat into the copper strips and of course the battery terminals thru the lugs. The temp sensors pick this up and sound the alarm by raising the apparent voltage.

What is really interesting is that I am seeing the regs kick in at very different times. Which indicates that the battery pack *is* out of balance, and without the regs some of the batteries *are* getting overcharged.

I should publish these results in that prestigious scientific journal: "Duhh". Still it is very interesting. Looks like I will have to charge at 2amps or so for awhile.

oh, ah that is nice!

The way I understand it it is a differnet kind of animal.
They use the term pump in the ebay ad but there is no fluid at all,
there is a torque sensor and an electric motor and gear to help turn the
stearing shaft before entry into the rack.

The other electric stearing assists are part of the rack(honda)

The mr2 is electric hydraulic pump and a standard hydraulic gearbox
which gives it it's huge amperage draws at lock.

You may find me bidding against you on that one ;-)

the pot is also proving peekay's main point.

"so, what we don't know, we doubt, question, refuse to believe,
even oppose, condemn, ridicule and object to"

From: Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Regen question again :-(
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 20:11:02 -0700

Sorry for the delay here, I often don't get to the list for some time.

No-one commented on the idea I posted about a simple regen for typical series dc and zilla set up. I am still wondering if this would work but also I have some more questions.

Here is the circuit.

B+______________________________________________
   |                                         __|__
   |                                          /_\   D1        ____
   |                                           |             /    \
| _______ o____|________A1__[ ]__A2______B- |__B+_| zilla |M+___S1-field--S2___o==== K1 \____/ | |_______|________________________o_________________________________|
         __||____
        |hairball|
        |________|
           | |
       |-----|-----------|

--

Send 1c txt to other Telstra Pre-Paid Plus mobiles. Join now http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fadsfac%2Enet%2Flink%2Easp%3Fcc%3DTEL185%2E19163%2E0%26clk%3D1%26creativeID%3D29997&_t=754399967&_m=EXT
On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 09:40:55PM -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>         AGMs do emit hydrogen under normal operating conditions.
> They don't emit nearly as much as flooded batteries, but they do
> indeed emit hydrogen. The recombination process is not prefect.
>
>         There are Bunsen valves on AGMs. That is why they are also
> called Valve-Regulated Lead-Acid (VRLA) batteries. These valves
> operate and vent hydrogen even if you very, very gently charge your
> AGM batteries.

>         One of the worst phrases in 625 is "contacts made live". The
> article requires that all contacts on the plug be covered when it is
> removed from the receptacle, if they ever had voltage of any sort.
> This makes the connector very expensive needlessly. Even if the
> contacts are dead before the connector comes apart, they must be
> covered after it is apart. Even if the contacts carry very low
> voltage signals, they must be covered.
>
>         This is the difference between "live contacts" and "contacts
> made live".

What if your "contacts made live" fail live?

Bad day to have exposed contacts.

>         It is also very stupid to require a locking connector on a
> vehicle that might roll away.

Do you really require a locking connector?
Magnicharge does not lock.

> If the car rolls away, is towed away,
> is hit by another car, or somehow drives away while plugged in,
> sparks are going to fly. When the cord breaks or the charger is
> ripped off the wall, bare live conductors will be left dangling.

The cord unit non-destructively pulls out of an AVcon head. The first
thing to pull loose is the interlock signal, thus killing the power.

Seems pretty good and well though out.

> The connector should be required to be NON-LOCKING instead so that
> nothing bad happens if the vehicle moves while plugged in.

Yea, we need to consider the pros and cons of locking vs non-locking.
You bring up a good point for the non-locking side.

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 07:13:13PM -0400, Neon John wrote:

> This type of discussion is prohibited.  It is not welcome here.

Wow!

Says Neon John.

Just... Wow.

Zilla Owners,

   I have just discovered a little anomaly with the pot Box I am using
attached to my Z1K setup. I replaced the pot in the potbox and measured
the resistance before reinstalling it in the car.  It went from a couple
OHMs to a little over 5K. This is just what the Zilla spec calls for.
The throttle had about the same maximum power response as before but I
needed to depress the throttle about 30% to get the car to move. I
checked the Throttle cable and there was no slack , when I manually
moved the potbox lever I needed to move it about 30% of its travel to
get the motor to start moving. So I adjusted the pot lever on the shaft
to make up for the lagging response. The Pot now goes from about 1K to
almost 8K ohms. This should have caused an error from the Hairball
because the resistance is too high. The Hairball didn't complain and the
result was (Holy bat droppings Robin) the car accelerates way better
than it ever has. I have been only using about 2/3 throttle for the past
year and didn't know it.

This may be worth checking for those of you that are using the Curtis
style potbox with a Zilla.

Thanks for the heads up Pat.

The new Zillas do allow well over 5K before tripping an error.

You can check that you are getting full throttle by watching the first value in DAQ 4 with the key off.

Pot input values for 5K input:
These are also valid for the first value when using the HEPA.
Low pot, 0x47
High pot lockout, 0xF6
Drive start 0x61
Full throttle 0x9F.

So, if you are getting less than 9F at full throttle, it needs to be higher.

Pat, yours should hit 9F at about 4.7K ohms. It's possible that there is a problem with the Hairball that is making the scaling incorrect. If that is the case I would like to know about it and will gladly fix it for no charge.

--
-Otmar-

http://www.CafeElectric.com/
The Zilla factory has moved to Corvallis Oregon.
Now accepting resumes. Please see:
http://www.cafeelectric.com/jobs.html

> Is that 200 battery amps or 200 motor amps?

That was 200 battery amps. But I was in third gear at or around 65 mph.

mm.

> If you have a heavy vehicle and/or are in too high of a gear, the motor
> amps could be very high while the battery amps look reasonable.
>

> Michaela Merz wrote:
>> The other day, I was happily cruising around with my truck at around
>> 200A
>> when my controller signaled 'over heating' and sent me to the
>> right-of-way. Now: I have an DCP-1200 Raptor and it should be able to
>> manage > 200A continously. After a short break, the LED was cleared,
>> power
>> restored and I went on driving keeping current at 150A.
>>
>> It was hot that day but I was going around 65 (= plenty of air pushing
>> into the engine compartment) and the controllers fan was working
>> perfectly.
>>
>> Question: Could that behaviour be considered to be 'normal'? And how
>> would
>> I be able to improve the situation?
>>
>> Michaela
>>

> --
> Jim Coate
> 1970's Elec-Trak's
> 1997 Solectria Force
> 1998 Chevy S-10 NiMH BEV
> 1997 Chevy S-10 NGV Bi-Fuel
> http://www.eeevee.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I connect the charger, set it at 15 amps, it runs for about ten minutes and blows the DC fuse. K&W BC20 on a 108 volt pack. The batteries are new and I am not aware of any change to have cause the fuse to blow. It worked and then suddenly didn't. I have gone through 4 or 5 fuses and still can't see anything out of the ordinary.
Help,
Calvin

http://www.pentadyne.com/flywheel.htm

this is the same company in which the ceo of teslamotors
worked .. they are selling the EMB's already

it is amazing in its flexibility .. and the best part i like on the
above webpage is this :

".... can be used where batteries have been ruled out. "

..peekay

(it is now only a small step to make a unit of TWO such
 highspeed fly-cylinders to cancel out each others gyro effect
 and use this in trains .. then in large buses .. trucks .. articulated
 trailers .. Vans .. then cars .. smaller cars .. three wheeled cars ..
 THEN in the TWO wheeled cars .. with segway balance controls
 built in .. and finally in that ONE wheeled 'car' .. or PT (personal
 transporter)

(ALL these models are real world models .. made by engineers from
mercedes, porche, bmw, ge/gm, and others too)

24 FIFA World Cup tickets to be won with Yahoo! Mail http://uk.mail.yahoo.com

It's not for me, someone asked me if this unit will work,
in an EV (easily), but I still have no idea.
so, I'm not bidding, you can have it ;-)

Victor

Jeff Shanab wrote:
oh, ah that is nice!

The way I understand it it is a differnet kind of animal.
They use the term pump in the ebay ad but there is no fluid at all,
there is a torque sensor and an electric motor and gear to help turn the
stearing shaft before entry into the rack.

The other electric stearing assists are part of the rack(honda)

The mr2 is electric hydraulic pump and a standard hydraulic gearbox
which gives it it's huge amperage draws at lock.

You may find me bidding against you on that one ;-)

it would be nice if our friend from teslamotors tells us a bit
more about this :

"It can also be used to absorb regenerative braking power ...."

as appearing on this webpage :

http://www.pentadyne.com/asd.htm

the sooner this type of battery is available for EV's the better
it will be

like the push trailer for EV's .. this kind of attach/detach
battery could become the norm of tomorrow

instead of gas stations for refils, we would just drive into
EMB stations for a swap .. with payment of course !         ;-)

hope this happens soon ....

anyone wanting to partner with like minded guys to run
and EMB swapping service chain store .. across the globe ;-))

..peekay

The batteries it has are Qty 4, 12V Marine. 12"x6.5"x10"tall. I can go up to 13" tall and still fit. I'd like to use true deep cycle/golf cart batteries, but fitting in that form factor looks like it will be difficult.

Why not use some of your BB600s?  Did you use them all in the Sparrow?

damon

sadly the EV is not mentioned as a market by pentadyne :

http://www.pentadyne.com/markets.htm

or maybe teslaMotors will do the EV segment ?

..peekay

(other areas look quite stable .. and like all new techs..
 pentadyne seems to lock into 'premium' markets for ..
 now .. remember the one floppy pc commanded a
 premium price .. once upon a time .. and now no one
 even wants one of those silly pc's !)

I'm surprised you're not blowing your breaker.
Because of "harmonics" on the AC line, I could never
pack more than 7.2 amps (as observed on the E-meter)
RMS into my pack.

The only other thing I can think of, is that my K&W
circuit board had issues after battery acid vapor
attacked a couple of traces on the circuit board.  I
always think of fuses as being before the transformer,
as to save them.  In this case, it's _after_ the
transformer.

--- Calvin King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I connect the charger, set it at 15 amps, it runs
> for about ten
> minutes and blows the DC fuse.  K&W BC20 on a 108
> volt pack.  The
> batteries are new and I am not aware of any change
> to have cause the
> fuse to blow.  It worked and then suddenly didn't.
> I have gone
> through 4 or 5 fuses and still can't see anything
> out of the ordinary.
> Help,
> Calvin

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

i am really stunned by the massive accelertion possible in
the micro width TANGO .. based on a high power high torque
dc motor driving the rear wheels .. power comes from the
battery

the acceleration is enormouse

but .. and this is a prophesy (just kiddin') :

EV's using pentadyne type of EMB's will be capable of
accelerations which will make the Tango look like a
kid playing with roller skates and wanting to 'go' like
the feraris !

..peekay

(i sure don't see no posts commenting on the TANGO ..
 the 'commercial' EV of the personal transporting type
 which is already being launched for sale in usa and canada ..
 neither ain't there no comments on the 'indian' REVA ..
 which is the only leading normal sized mini car in the lower
 range .. with modest acceleration, nominal range .. yet
 good enough for more than 90% car users .. we don't really
 commute all that much .. we may want to .. but usually
 land up not doing it)

--- Begin Message --- I got them from ev sourse and what a deal , they are made by Rich Rudmen , they do have fans on them .
steve clunn