  2) Re: Gun Engine?
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) steering unit
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Article 625
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Ford bolts, ie. battery clamp bolts
        by "Chuck Hursch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Raptor Overheating/my Civic refurb'd Raptor (;-p
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Small Brushless wheel motor idea
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Russco heater as a pre heater run by a bad boy.
  9) Internal combustion steam generator was Gun Engine
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Sources of Energy
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Small Brushless wheel motor idea
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: DIY air-conditioning (another option)
        by Brendan Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Ford bolts, ie. battery clamp bolts
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Raptor Overheating
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Article 625 .. face to face .. with that ONE "genius" who inflicted
this "absurdity" on the rest of us .....
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Tesla Motors
        by "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Sources of Energy
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Article 625 .. face to face .. with that ONE "genius" who inflicted
this "absurdity" on the rest of us .....
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) [OT]  .. going OT .. oops .. retracting ..
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Gun Engine? .. quakery and hi tech .. so also OT and not OT ..
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- I belong to more then one e-mail group. The others have come to the understanding that if they don't like the topic they can always just hit the delete key. Why is this list so narow min,,,, er, focused? I like to think that anything that comes to the list might be of interest, then when I've had enough I simply pass over the subject checking back every few days due to matter change with the same title.

So what's the big deal?

Mark Grasser

Subject: Re: Gun Engine?

Let's stop discussing the gun engine, please. Some of us think it won't work and some of us think it will. It's extremely unlikely that either side can ever convince the other side that their view is correct. My view is that it won't work, but I lack the patience or persistence to argue.

I'm happy with letting this topic die.  It's off topic.
Like I said before- people here would draw a line between EVs and quack science. True EVs are not quackery in any way, though they do seem to attract interest from that crowd. While most would welcome quack science afficianados' interest, the converse of people here having an interest in quack science does not seem to be a prevailing attitude. It's all too easy to start talking cold fusion, Tilley EV, gas enhancement pills, and windmill powered cars. The discussion is pointless and never ends.

I only get into this stuff sometimes because I've wondered how one really defines the line between genuine hi tech developments and quackery. I feel there is a solid, objective difference between the two but sorting out claims is indeed a subjective process. I might want to write a paper on it one day.

Danny

Mark Grasser wrote:

I belong to more then one e-mail group. The others have come to the understanding that if they don't like the topic they can always just hit the delete key. Why is this list so narow min,,,, er, focused? I like to think that anything that comes to the list might be of interest, then when I've had enough I simply pass over the subject checking back every few days due to matter change with the same title.

So what's the big deal?

Mark Grasser

Can someone tell please what exactly this unit does?
Is it functionally similar to MR2 unit?

http://tinyurl.com/mjqhm

That is simple one. The post next to the charging station should
tell "this space is designated to an electric vehicles only.
Others are towed away". But as you suggest nothing is labeled on
the outlet itself. Like those signs for handicapped parking spots.
This assures RVs (or anything other than EVs) aren't there, but also
avoids need to comply with this silly 625 code.

Note - nowhere *charging* is mentioned.

Victor

Ralph Merwin wrote:

To me, this means we can install suitable outlets and use them as we wish,
as long as there is no specific use label on the outlet.

If we want them labeled as "Electric Vehicle Recharging Stations" we need
to either use only 120v outlets or use something like an Avcon system.

If we don't label the outlet as "Electric Vehicle Recharging Stations",
we have to accept that we may find the occaisional RV parked in the spot.
We also have to accept that the parking spot next to the outlet must be
reserved with something other than an "Electric Vehicles Only" sign, lest
this imply that the outlet has a specific purpose.

Ralph

Hello All,

When I put together my new pack of US125s about a year ago, I
ordered new fastener hardware for the automotive post clamps.  My
old bolts and nuts were pretty rusty after sitting for several
years next to the cell caps.  So the fellow EV'er that was
helping me said that I could get Ford bolts (4-sided bolt heads)
from our local US Battery rep (where I had just bought the new
batts).  I ordered the new bolts, which are dark grey because of
a process called pokarization (sic? - I need to get that spelling
down).  The problem with the new set is that the bolts were too
long, sticking out well beyond the side of the automotive clamp,
running interference with the closest cell cover.  So we
shortened the bolts down, and we painted (Rustoleum red) the cut,
since the pokarization is only a surface treatment, or so I'm
told.  Well, after about a year the fumes from the cells is
attacking some of the cut bolt ends, and it's getting to be a
rather ugly powdery mess under the lug covers that I really don't
like to have to clean up every monthly battery maintenance
session.  Any suggestions as to where I can get correct-length
bolts, or do you all think that stainless steel might work?  I
tried Google-ing "pokarized", "Ford bolts", etc. but didn't get
very far.  Hex bolts won't work, I think, because the automotive
clamp has that flat bevel to keep the bolt head from turning when
you turn the nut on the other end.  Maybe I should bug the US
Battery rep again, but I think he gave me what he had, and that
is that.

Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck Hursch
Larkspur, CA
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/339.html
http://www.geocities.com/chursch/bizcard.bmp

Michaela,
    Just a heads-up: Peter Senkowski (Myers Motors)
refurbs the Raptor 600s, putting an extra couple of
electrolytic caps in, if you wind up taking it out to
have it looked at.  I believe he's in Las Vegas these
days.
    My original Raptor 600 let the smoke out, and the
new one has been flawless for the last two years/5K
miles.  I can't speak for the 1200, but you might
check to see if he's amended the circuitry in the
1200, too!
peace,

--- Bob Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   Hi Michaela;
>
>      I regularly pull 200 amps plus on the hiway in
> the Rabbit to go
> 65-70MPH with my Rapture(Raptor)  What amazes me
> with these critters is how
> seldom, MY fan runs. OOh if I use it in to a high
> gear, or for say stump
> pulling, no joke, EV's are great tractors, in the
> electric locomotive
> heritage.
>
>     As for it being normal, I wouldn't think so.
> Maybe the controller garus
> can take it from here?
>
>     My two watts worth
>
>     Bob

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

I saw the 200W rateing and Know that that is just one data point at one
rpm and load, probably continuous. The alternators turned motors before
were run as a motor at much higher power levels than as alternators. I
would first assume that the magnets would be changed to nyobidium to
increase the flux by a few 100% and then the voltage would be driven to
50or 60 instead of 12V Maybe short bursts of 15X power would then be
available.

one per wheel starts at 800 watts
higher voltage which means higher current is maybe times 5 or 10? with
magnets that won't demagnatize
so maybe 4kw-8kw ??

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have a person interested in my 120vdc Russco heater. He is running 128v but won't run off the pack. He wants to run the system off 120vac & use the heater to preheat the cab of his vehicle. I would think a diode bridge would be perfect. Would the voltage spike to 160vdc when it saw the heater core or just stay around 120vdc. Would a Variac be needed to use the Russco in this way. Thanks for any info.
Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
Vegetable Oil Car.
415-821-3519
The internal combustion steam generator was used on certain types of
torpedo motors during ww2.

Alcohol injection with  compressed air into  a chamber and water
injection a timed interval after the flame front, this drove a staged
steam turbine to the shaft.

The problem with steam is unless you are in a lake, you have to refill
the water or recycle the water.
Internal combustion contaminates the water and makes it corrosive and
condensers for steam are huge for capacity, because of the low temp
differential.  ( i looked into what it would take to fit an industrial
butter churn driven by such a steam turbine into a vehicle and  the
water was a problem.)

On Thu, 4 May 2006 15:51:52 +0530, "peekay"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>look at it this way .. we live in air .. need air
>whales live in water .. need air
>fish live in water .. need water

Please read this group's charter Pee.  This type of discussion is
prohibited.  It is not welcome here.

John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain

It won't work very well.  The flywheel magnets aren't strong enough.
This type of alternator is designed to be somewhat self-regulating by
saturating at speed.  It's about as inefficient as a car alternator.

You could add NIB magnets, tighten the air gap and use high voltage
and generate some decent torque but at that point you could just buy a
machine tool-type frameless BLDC.

Back in the late 70s I designed a 3 phase BLDC driver (called stepper
motor driver back then) to turn the generator of a Yamaha SS500 single
cylinder thumper street bike into a starter.  No FETS or IGBTs back
then, just big bipolar transistors.  I installed a second battery to
have 24 volts for starting.

It worked OK but it was horribly inefficient and generated relatively
little torque.  I had to use the compression release to get the thing
turning.  After it spun up, it would continue to spin against the
compression.  Usually the first power stroke after the valve was
released would do the job.

My design was fairly primitive, using a counter and EPROM state
machine to generate the phase rotation and no position feedback.  It
ran open-loop like conventional steppers and had a fixed ramp-up rate.
Nonetheless it worked.

This would not be a useful amount of power for an EV, even a small
one.

A frameless BLDC (no frame or bearings - just a rotor and stator -
designed to be mounted on an existing shaft such as a tool spindle)
wouldn't be all that expensive.  They're available in high power
versions (tens of HP) and on the surplus market.

John

On Thu, 04 May 2006 07:07:35 -0700, Jeff Shanab
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In the past I have heard of people making motors our of altenators. I
>was curious and discovered just ho inneficeint claw pole alternators were.
>
>But yesturday I was cruising ebay and came accross a mess of motorcycle
>stators and flywheels
>like : item number 4586929481
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4586929481&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSII_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT
>
>I was thinking that because motorcycles are weight consious, maybe the
>stator is more efficient than normal ICE counterpart.
>
>The inside out design would let a person mount a tire/rim to "flywheel"
>
>A set might make an interesting go-cart from hell ??

---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain

This is all very interesting, as I'm a little lacking in the knowledge
department when it comes to the specifics of A/C systems.

Anyway, I have my own DIY plan for my converted '85 S-10 (in the process of a
major overhaul).  I recently bought a complete R134a factory add-on system for
a 2001 model series Suzuki Vitara off of EBay.  The best part is that I only
paid $141, shipped, for it - in case others are interested.  The system
includes everything except the parts you would already have for the H&V system
(i.e. the blower fan and related controls).  I mean everything, compressor,
radiator, evaporator, expansion valve, hoses, wiring harness, relays, and even
the button that says A/C.  I also just bought a 120V DC motor to run the
compressor with.  I still need to find an appropriate pulley and a blower fan
(which was ripped out of the truck before I bought it).  I have run into a
snag, though.

The system came with a little black box (literally), which connects to a sensor
dangling in front of the evaporator core (presumably a temperature sensor).  It
also connects to a ~16 pin harness that must be included as part of the HVAC
system, even on the cars without factory A/C.  Also, the two wires from the
sensor on the coolant tube (presumably a pressure sensor - or maybe another
temperature sensor?) and the two wires that control the compressor clutch relay
connect to the wiring harness under the hood.  I'm assuming these wires
probably go through the firewall with all of the other wires and then connect
directly to the ~16 pin harness under the dash.  However, I haven't a clue
which four pins.  Additionally, I don't know what or how important the other
inputs are in determining how the compressor is cycled.  Ideally, I'd like to
get rid of the black box and just cycle the thing on and off according to
pressure sensor (or the temperature sensor(s), or both, or a new s!
 ensor), but I don't what the right method is.  Which method is most
appropriate (especially considering that the input air temperature for the
evaporator core may vary widely - I am in Phoenix after-all)?

Is the best method to hook up a pressure gauge to the low side and figure out
the resistance reading on the pressure/temperature sensor when it reaches the
ideal low pressure and the ideal high pressure readings, and then use this to
kick the compressor on and off?  What are those ideal pressures and/or sensor
readings?  Or am I better off using the evaporator core temp sensor, even
though its reading will vary based on input temperature?  How will I know that
I have the right amount of charge in the system to begin with?  I can probably
get it pretty close based on the amount called for in the manual, but it seems
like I have two unknowns and only one equation.  Anyone knowledgeable about A/C
systems care to offer some advice?

Thanks,

-Brendan

Chuck Hursch wrote:

> a process called pokarization

Passivation, perhaps?

> do you all think that stainless steel might work?

Stainless bolts, nuts, and washers will work fine.

There is a coating you should be able to get from a golf cart service
shop that is sold in a spray can and is used to coat the battery
terminals and hardware after installation to protect them from
corrosion.  It isn't perfect, but it could allow the use of ordinary
non-stainless hardware by keeping it from corroding for much longer.

If you can find the square head style bolts, it will be less inclined to
rotate as you tighten the nut, however, hex head bolts typically
substitute just fine if you don't mind having to use a second wrench to
keep the bolt from turning.

Is that 200 battery amps or 200 motor amps?

If you have a heavy vehicle and/or are in too high of a gear, the motor amps could be very high while the battery amps look reasonable.

--
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak's

i have a different question :

instead of discussing the words and meanings and the
motives and the reasons .. will some people group
together and find out that ONE guy who inflicted
this kind of absurdity on us ?

just having a look at that 'genius' would be nice !

we would KNOW the 'genius' within our society

more : this guy IS a very special 'breed' .. of humans ..
who feed upon and grow fat upon and revel in and
smile stupidly       the misery of the others !!

..peekay

   Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:51:08 -0500
   From: Remy Chevalier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tesla Motors

From:
http://www.teslamotors.com

Tesla Motors is a car company making a new class of electric cars -
efficient cars that will look as good as they are fun to drive. As a
manufacturer of electric cars, we are as devoted to energy efficiency as we
are to the sheer thrill of driving. We believe that the benefits of electric
cars are too numerous to ignore, but that performance and styling should not
be sacrificed. Drivers deserve zero emissions, zero gasoline, but in a car
that looks great and drives exceptionally well.

Tesla Motors
1050 Bing Street
San Carlos, CA 94070
650.413.4000 Fax: 650.413.4099
press@ teslamotors.com

White & Lee LLP Series Financing
http://www.whiteandlee.com

805 SW Broadway, Suite 2440
Portland, Oregon 97205-3303
(503) 419-3000 Fax: (503) 419-3001

545 Middlefield Road, Suite 250
Menlo Park, California 94025
(650) 470-4000 Fax: (650) 470-4099

On July 1, 2002, we set out to create a better car for the world. Our vision
was a car that was energy efficient but also good looking and fun to drive.
We brought together a passionate team of engineers and designers from the
technology and auto industries who are now hard at work on our ambitious
goal.

Our cars consume very little energy and do not emit any pollutants. But
unlike so many environmentally friendly cars that have come along before,
our cars are beautifully styled, thoughtfully built, and designed to make
driving fun. But great cars, and the companies that build them, are not made
overnight; and so we are not yet ready to announce specifications or
delivery dates. As soon as we can tell more about what we are doing, we
will.

Martin Eberhard (CEO)

Tesla Motors is the third company that Martin Eberhard has founded. Martin
brings 20 years of senior-level management and development experience to
Tesla Motors as CEO and founder of NuvoMedia and Chief Engineer of Network
Computing Devices.
As CEO of NuvoMedia in 1997, Martin's company created the market for
electronic books with the Rocket eBook and pioneered the distribution of
electronic content securely over the Internet. As CEO of NuvoMedia, Mr.
Eberhard raised $27 million in three rounds between 1997 and 1999. In 2000,
he negotiated the sale of the company to Gemstar/TV Guide International for
$187 million.
Prior to founding NuvoMedia, Martin was Vice President of Electronics at
Belfort Memory International, co-founder and Chief Engineer of Network
Computing Devices, Inc., and developed high-volume terminals for Wyse
Technology Inc.
Martin has a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering and Master's Degree
in Electrical Engineering from the University of Illinois in Champaign,
Illinois.

Tom Colson (VP Manufacturing)

Tom Colson is responsible for all manufacturing logistics, quality
assurance, and vehicle manufacturing-related operations at Tesla Motors.
Prior to joining Tesla, Tom was co-founder and general manager of Vernier
Networks, a wireless networking security software startup. Before Vernier,
Tom was Vice President of Manufacturing and Operations for NuvoMedia, Inc.
where he led the effort to bring the Rocket eBook from prototype into mass
production. Tom started his career at Raychem Corporation, where he held
positions in manufacturing engineering and operations management as part of
a team that commercialized a new materials technology and built a new
business unit whose revenues grew from $300K to $30M in four years.
Tom earned his Masters of Science and Bachelors of Science in Chemical
Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley.

Ron Lloyd (VP Advanced Manufacturing Projects)

Ron Lloyd brings over fifteen years of manufacturing and management
experience to Tesla Motors. Ron retired from an extensive career at Sun
Microsystems in 2001, where he held high-level positions including VP of
Manufacturing, Worldwide Operations and VP of Engineering for the Network
Storage unit. Ron left Sun to learn about clean energy by earning a Master's
Degree in Environmental Engineering at Stanford University. Tesla Motors
offers Ron the opportunity to pursue his passion for clean energy with his
broad manufacturing experience.
Ron earned his BS Engineering at Harvey Mudd College in 1980 and his Masters
in Civil and Environmental Engineering at Stanford in 2003.

Marc Tarpenning (VP Engineering)

Marc has engineering and fiscal responsibilities at Tesla Motors, and is the
acting CFO for the company. As Co-founder and Vice President of Engineering
at NuvoMedia Inc, Marc brings 21 years of engineering management experience
to Tesla Motors. He led the engineering development of the Rocket eBook and
helped bring a revolutionary new product from concept, to design to market.
After the sale of NuvoMedia, he spent 3 years as Vice President of
Engineering at Packet Design, an innovative network technology company
founded by Judy Estrin and Bill Carrico.
Marc has managed and developed software and firmware products for many
companies, including Belfort Memory International, NEC, Seagate, Textron,
and Bechtel.
He has a B.A. in Computer Science from the University of California,
Berkeley.

Malcolm Powell (VP Vehicle Integration)

As VP, Vehicle Integration, Malcolm Powell oversees vehicle manufacture
engineering for Tesla Motors. Malcolm brings 31 years of engineering and
engineering management to the company. Prior to Tesla Motors, Mac was
project manager and the senior project manager for 17 years at Group Lotus,
PLC. Most recently there, he was the project manager responsible for the
technical program to create and bring to manufacture the North American
version of the Lotus Elise. With a direct team of around 50 staff and
involving most areas of the company, the 18 month program was delivered on
schedule and within budget. All program phases from concept design through
to series production were involved.
Prior to working at Lotus, Malcolm was a founder and Managing Director at
RAMAR Engineering Ltd, an automotive engineering consultancy. Before that,
he worked at Ford Motor Company's Special Vehicle Engineering division.
Prior to Ford, Mr. Powell worked as a mechanical engineer at Westland
Helicopters Ltd.
Malcolm has a degree in Mechanical Engineering from University of Sheffield
in England.

Malcolm Smith (VP Vehicle Engineering)

As VP,Vehicle Engineering. Malcolm Smith oversees the motor and electrical
sub-systems and directs a team of engineers at Tesla Motors. Malcolm brings
23 years of engineering management experience to Tesla Motors. For nine
years, he was Vice President of Product Design at the award-winning design
firm, Palo Alto Design Group (later renamed Palo Alto Products
International), where he managed the development of such stellar products as
the Palm Pilot, the Microsoft X-Box, and various computer enclosures from
Dell, HP and others. As a senior executive in the company, Malcolm
participated in growing Palo Alto Design Group and merging with its Taiwan
manufacturing partner, to 1,200 employees. He helped to establish design and
manufacturing locations in Texas, California, Taiwan, and Thailand.
Palo Alto Products International was acquired by Flextronics, and Malcolm
stayed on as Vice President of Product Design and Engineering for four more
years. Reported directly to the president of worldwide design services,
Malcolm was responsible for all product design and engineering in the USA
including fiscal performance. His USA operation at one time had nearly 300
employees in eight locations and ran a $40 million per year budget. He
managed all technical design disciplines: industrial design, mechanical
engineering, hardware, software, SQC, production test development, PCB
design, thermal analysis, prototype assembly technicians, injection mold
tooling and production molding, EMI test facility, etc.
Malcolm holds a degree in mechanical engineering from Oregon State
University as well as a Masters of Engineering, Product Design from Stanford
University .

JB Straubel (CTO)

As Chief Technical Officer at Tesla Motors, JB Straubel oversees the
technical and engineering direction of the vehicle including the battery,
motor, power electronics, and high-level software sub-systems. He has
responsibility for new technology evaluation, technical evaluation and
relationships with key vendors, and systems testing.
Prior to Tesla Motors, Straubel was CTO and co-founder of Volacom Inc., a
company specializing in high-altitude aircraft platforms that was a
fuel-cell powered electric airplane. At Volacom, JB invented and patented a
new hybrid propulsion concept. Before Volacom, JB held several positions as
technical advisor and power electronics engineer at Taproot Ventures and
Pentadyne Power Corp.
JB's interest in electric cars began in his youth and he built his first
electric vehicle in high school. He has EV optimized a 944 Porsche and
bicycle, and pioneered a pusher trailer charging station he designed while
earning his degree at Stanford University.
He received a B.S. in Energy Systems Engineering and a M.S. in Energy
Engineering, emphasis on energy conversion, both from Stanford.

Jessica Switzer (VP, Marketing)

Ms. Switzer oversees all marketing and communications for Tesla Motors.
Prior to Tesla Motors, Jessica ran the San Francisco office of Ruder
Finn/Switzer. Ruder Finn is the second largest independently-owned
communications firm in the world. Clients included Sony, LEGO, Ford and
other global and emerging brands. Before Ruder Finn, Switzer was president
of Switzer Communications, a PR and marketing firm which she founded in
1995.  With annual billings of $3 million, and 25 employees, Switzer
Communications helped companies build brand awareness and launch 200+
products throughout its eight year history. Her firm was acquired by Ruder
Finn in early 2003.
Prior to Switzer Communications, Switzer ran corporate communications for
Broderbund Software, a consumer software company, where she served as
company spokeswoman and assisted the company throughout its IPO, and
numerous acquisitions.
She received a Bachelor of Arts in Politics from the University of
California, Santa Cruz.

Neon John said:
 This type of discussion is prohibited.  It is not welcome here.

So is name calling, personal attacks, and hate speach but that has never stopped you in the past.

The pot is calling the kettle black.

-Ken Trough
V is for Voltage
http://visforvoltage.com
AIM/YM - ktrough
FAX/voice message - 206-339-VOLT (8658)

Peekay wrote:

> instead of discussing the words and meanings and the
> motives and the reasons .. will some people group
> together and find out that ONE guy who inflicted
> this kind of absurdity on us ?

Before assuming it is complete absurdity, consider such things as
failure modes, etc.

Rich Rudman wrote:

> > The part I love about NEC Art 625 is the page and half devoted to
> > extracting Hydrogen gas and fumes. 1000s of CFM of airflow are
> > required... And Well a well designed AGM charger won't vent ANY
> > Gas...

The CFM requirements are pretty modest until you get to absurd charge
levels.  At  100A of 240VAC input power only 500CFM are required (and
only required for indoor charging under certain conditions).

What happens to that non-venting AGM when something goes wrong while
humping 240kW into it?  How big is the battery that might be used with
the higher charge powers that are associated with the higher ventilation
requirements?

How different are these ventilation requirements from established
industry standards for the battery rooms used for material handling
equipment?

There's lots to dislike about Article 625, but that doesn't mean there
aren't sound reasons for at least some of what it contains.

i guess being new here, and being a bit old aged .. i may
be going OffTopic a bit more than is right

here's responding to a nicely said suggestion .. desisting now ..

..Pee   ;-))

(hey neon john .. try to avoid that .. peekay sounds more 'acceptable' to
others)

> On Thu, 4 May 2006 15:51:52 +0530, "peekay"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >look at it this way .. we live in air .. need air
> >whales live in water .. need air
> >fish live in water .. need water
>
> Please read this group's charter Pee.  This type of discussion is
> prohibited.  It is not welcome here.
>
> John
> ---
> John De Armond
> See my website for my current email address
> http://www.johngsbbq.com
> Cleveland, Occupied TN
> Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain

NEW - Yahoo! 360 – Your one place to blog, create, publish and share!
http://uk.360.yahoo.com

danny brings up a very relevant issue ..

From: "Danny Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> ... a line between EVs and quack  science.
>.  The discussion is  pointless and never ends.
>  how one  really defines the line between ....
> .... there is a solid, objective difference between the two

indisputable facts !

> but sorting out claims is indeed a subjective process.

this is where things go haywire .. and each person is
right to think what is the right thing .. and each person
usest that 'right' of airing his views too .. it is a natural
human thing

> I might want to write a paper on it one day.

i have been onto this particular aspect of natural human
traits making things difficult for the same person .. who
succuumbs to this natural human trait ..

i find that there is NOTHING that can be done about
humans going against other humans .. it is how we are
made ..

what we CAN do is restrain from posting freely as
we feel like .. in deference to the suggestions/instructions
of the OWNER of the group firstly, the moderator(s)
secondly .. and finally other active, senior, older members

this is the only way that groups can go on doing good work

..peekay

(i try and will keep trying to conform to group charter(s),
 ideals, policy too .. and would be okay to get a few
 course corrector suggestions from other members ..
 meantime, i do request and crave a wee bit of 'indulgence'
 .. that, thankfully, is a nice human trait too )

Switch an email account to Yahoo! Mail, you could win FIFA World Cup tickets.
http://uk.mail.yahoo.com