  1) Re: Safe charging  (Was Art. 625 etc.)
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: RC Battery chargers instead of regulators?
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: RC Battery chargers instead of regulators?
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Safe charging  (Was Art. 625 etc.)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) tax laws
        by Sharon G Alexander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: New AC system option (was Re: Nissan AC conversion)
        by "george.underwood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Contactor for 192 V and Zilla, Cableform A1200 questions
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) looking for "the lost cord" and avcon source
        by elaine chiu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Regen question again :-(
 10) Loremo Hybrid?
 11) Re: looking for doner car
 12) Need motor repairs, need local shop
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: looking for "the lost cord" and avcon source
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: looking for "the lost cord" and avcon source
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Safe charging (Was Art. 625 etc.)
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: looking for "the lost cord" and avcon source
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) RE: looking for "the lost cord" and avcon source
        by "Will Beckett \(becketts\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) "70 amp battery isolator"
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: "70 amp battery isolator"
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Safe charging  (Was Art. 625 etc.)
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: "70 amp battery isolator"
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) What a Good Crimp Looks Like
        by Joel Silverman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Logos (was RE: sheilding for zilla wiring)
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: looking for "the lost cord" and avcon source
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: looking for "the lost cord" and avcon source
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 05:09:54AM -0400, Neon John wrote:
> On Sat, 6 May 2006 01:58:17 -0700 (MST), "Peter VanDerWal"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Here are /my/ thoughts on a safe EV charging scheme.  Comments are
> >encouraged.
> >
> >1. Use a good quality standard 110/220V outlet.
>
> Nothing more than is being done now need be done.

I agree 100% for 110 charging.

> Yeah, a hot prong is exposed.

Perhaps this is why we should not write our own standards ;-)

> >2.  Use a GFCI???'nough said.  Oh alright, use a 20ma GFCI if you are too
> >lazy to keep your batteries clean :D
>
> Rolls eyes.  This would be a matter of doing something just to be
> doing something while trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Or perhaps this is why?

> I curse every day that I've awakened sweating my
> 'nads off because the friggin GFI in the 20 amp convenience outlet
> that I had to use tripped because dew settled out on the power cable
> and plug overnight.

Clean up your power so you're not leaking more then 5ma.

> (Tip:  Move the wires from the LINE to the LOAD terminals on the GFI.

Or perhaps this? :)

> >5. Ventilation for flooded batteries is a good idea.  Force ventilation of
> >the battery boxes is probably a good idea.  Since hydrogen will rapidly
> >rise to the ceiling, provide it with a simple escape path near the ceiling
> >so it won't accumulate.
>
> Not really.  It is VERY difficult to generate enough hydrogen to form
> an explosive mixture outside the batteries themselves.

>From www.mikeholt.com/documents/safety/pdf/messagefromfiremarshall.pdf:

"Thought some of you might be interested in this picture. It is a hydrogen
explosion in a UPS/battery room we had here in Sacramento this week. It is
a very good example of what happens if you lose ventilation in a battery
charging room. The explosion blew a 400+ sq.ft. hole in the root (notice
the sky above the picture), collapsed numerous walls and ceilings throughout
the building, and significantly damaged a large portion of the 50,000+ sq.ft.
building."

I though this was an interesting anecdote. You should download the PDF and
check out the pictures.

> When this pack is given its full periodic equalization charge, it
> sounds like a Jacuzzi in the battery room!  Yet that hydrogen detector
> (NOT just an explosive gas detector but a hydrogen-specific detector)
> never moves off zero.

Sounds like they have the ventilation system sized correctly.

> I'm not posting to discourage anyone who wants to vent his pack from
> doing so.  I'm simply offering objective information for why some
> silly standard should not be written into the rules.  None of my packs
> are vented (other than what leaks in and out through cracks, of
> course) and in the case of my Citi, my 'nads are sitting on the lid of
> the main box :-)

Or perhaps this?

Most RC chargers have a common ground with the power source therefore you
would need an isolated 12 volt supply for each battery (if the battery under
charge is in a series string.)

Most RC chargers are set up for a single pack of NiCd, NiMH or Lithium. Some
will do PbA.

In order to do a long series string, you have the option of 1) unplugging
the module from the car and charging is separately, or 2) using multiple
isolated 12 volt sources.

1) In the Monster Garage car, it took nearly three hours to pull the ~300
modules, put them in one of the 200 1 hour charger stands, wait for each
battery to top off, remove them from the chargers, and install them back in
the car. It was a monster of a task.

2) When you use multiple isolated 12 volts sources, the cost goes up
considerably.

In case #1, if there is a bad charger, you can switch to another charger in
seconds.

In case #2, if there is a bad charger, you will probably not see it until
after a module is destroyed by reversal. In some cases there has been a fire
or explosion.

There has been a lot of discussion on the merits of both ideas on this list
over the years. You may want to search the archives.

Most people use a series charger because, 1) the price per watt is
reasonable, 2) if there is a failure, it is readily apparent, 3) there is
only one location to adjust when the battery ages or changes temperature.,
4) some chargers work on 240 as well as 120, 5) series chargers are
available in high wattage's.

Joe Smalley
Rural Kitsap County WA
Fiesta 48 volts
NEDRA 48 volt street conversion record holder