  1) [OT] "peekay"
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Sources of Energy
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Low Rolling Resistance Tires Idea, Request for Feedback
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) [OT] a request ..
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Low Rolling Resistance Tires Idea, Request for Feedback
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) DC-DC converters
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Low Rolling Resistance Tires Idea, Request for Feedback
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Sources of Energy
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Sources of irritation, was Re: Sources of Energy
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: tax laws
        by "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Electric car at local festival
 12) Solectria Force for sale
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Low Rolling Resistance Tires Idea, Request for Feedback
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Suitable Range Extending Alternator for Trailer Power Supply
        by "David Sharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Low Rolling Resistance Tires Idea, Request for Feedback
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: DC-DC converters
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Solectria Force on eBay
        by Carlton Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Use your Prius as a UPS for the house, or as construction site power.
        by M Bianchi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Safe charging (Was Art. 625 etc.)
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Asking questions on EVDL a sin?
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Ground fault finally fixed - Charger still works!
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Ground fault finally fixed - Charger still works!
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: 12v Battery Advise Needed
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Use your Prius as a UPS for the house, or as construction site
 power.
        by Meta Bus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Wrightspeed article on CNN
        by "Peri Hartman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Ground fault finally fixed - Charger still works!
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: RC Battery chargers instead of regulators?
        by Matt Milliron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Does 220mpg violate the laws of physics?
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
looks like this is getting personal .. for once, let me assume that you
are right joseph .. i have NOT 'contributed' .. and the 'important ideas
and thoughts' of other stalwarts here are 'contributions'

will that close this sad thread please ?

i have seen EMB's discussed thread bare in the past few weeks .. and
i also think that they will not be seen in cars soon .. and despite TWO
companies implementing them in buses .. those buses are not EV's !!

so EMB's are NOT to be discussed !!!

for the records :

1) as directed by stalwarts here, i DID research
the archives .. the 36,000+ emails .. to turn up only THREE emails
which 'discussed' .. two were from the same person !
so much for the 'proper' way to ask questions

2) it would have been much nicer for the stalwarts
here to have answered in just one line about 'those discussions'
since they already knew about it .. which i didn't !
all this bitterness would not have happened

3) i guess it is not the emb's that caused the severe bitterness ..
it was the "go get 'em"  approach to "peekay" .. sad !

Yahoo! Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 7p a photo
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com

On Sun, 7 May 2006 14:03:28 -0700, "Joseph H. Strubhar"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Com'on Ken - knock it off!! Neon John has made some rather blunt statements,
>but he has important ideas and thoughts to contribute to this list; "peekay"
>hasn't contributed anything of merit to date - have you?

Joe, the only thing you can do with Ken and I'm afraid, Peekay is to
ignore them.  If you're like me and have a hard time ignoring rank
stupidity (the shoe fits Ken; I'm not sure about Peekay yet), put him
or them in your filter file and make them disappear from the face of
the net.

I almost didn't write this because in some small way it acknowledges
that Ken is still consuming oxygen but I finally decided to share my
experience in that area, as I made the mistake long ago on another
list of trying to engage him in debate.  I quickly learned that he
thrives on controversy and that he's the master of the "back-channel
back-stab" (probably the only thing he's ever mastered) Civility was
futile.

I enjoyed seeing some of his activity when some people whom HE thought
were my enemies [1] sent me some of his "back channel" messages for my
entertainment. Well, entertainment in the same sense as standing in
front of the monkey cages at the zoo. I bet you'll be his target of
the day now :-)

[1] Mature people don't have to become enemies to have a vigorous
debate and to vigorously disagree on something.

The best thing to do is to use your email filter and give him the
virtual death sentence. It'll make the list.experience much more
pleasant.  A decent filter mechanism such as the one in Agent (my
choice for the moment) can filter both originator and word/names in
the body.  Hmmm, I'm not sure why your message wasn't filtered since I
have "Trough" in the body filter.  Maybe I screwed up the last update.

For less offensive people and threads that just won't die, Agent has
the ability to put someone or something on suspension - the filter has
an expiry.  I usually put obnoxious or flame-prone people in a 30 day
filter.  If things haven't changed then next time I make it permanent.

For that matter, I highly recommend that anyone who doesn't like me
put my address in his filter!  Heck, if someone doesn't know how, drop
me a note and I'll even help ya!  I know most of the mail agents out
there except for Microsloth stuff.

John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain

Aren't they limited to 50 MPH and 50 miles travel?

David C Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)

"The Bush administration's priorities are
"a little bit different now and veterans aren't a priority,"

----- Original Message ----- From: "Todd Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "mike young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: May 7, 2006 10:02:28 PM GMT-04:00
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Solectria Force on eBay

I get 0 results for a search on solectria on the bay mike y

Want to use your car to power your house when the grid goes down?
Need to run tools away from the grid?

Let me introduce you to the web site
        http://PriUPS.com

        The Toyota Prius.
        Gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles can serve as a
        UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) for your house.

        The Prius, unlike the generator, also has a battery that provides
        instant, UPS-like power, to your house.  Careful research has shown
        that most* people would prefer not to go outside to manually pull a
        cord in the case of a power failure.  The same independent research
        foundation,** using accepted methods of sampling and polling***,
        determined that most* people would prefer not to spend money on a big,
        expensive generator, even if they don't have to pull on the cord.

Details at:
        http://PriUPS.com/sitenav.htm

--
 Mike Bianchi

On 5/6/06, Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sat, 6 May 2006 13:35:45 +0100, "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>A question: apart from the hydrogen, are "battery fumes" from flooded
>lead-acid batteries considered safe to breathe in general?  Nothing
>even slightly toxic or irritant in them?  Even in the case of an
>equalising charge or thermal run-away?
>They can certainly make an unpleasant smell, and I know from
>experience what the fumes do to exposed metalwork in the vicinity.
>So, when I'm doing renewable energy installations I always follow the
>recommendation to vent the batteries to the outside.

Probably not like a spring breeze but a whiff isn't going to put you
down either.  I've never seen any evidence that the mist contains
anything other than sulfuric acid mist and hydrogen sulfide.  Back in
the Good Old Days (TM) over in nearby Copper Hill, men spent their
lives breathing acid fumes while working in the sulfuric acid plant
located atop the copper mine.  None of 'em set any records for
longevity but they didn't drop over dead at the first whiff either.

I figure that this is one of those things where the unpleasant odor
gives more than enough warning to breathe elsewhere.

Thanks.  So, it doesn't seem like an bad idea to have some ventilation
in enclosed parking/charging areas.  Even if it's just for the sake of
reducing the sulphur smell.
The NEC specification may be over the top but the idea seems reasonable enough.

Hi everyone,

I try to avoid controversy, but feel like someone should say something about this.

In my opinion, asking questions is *vitally* important to the vitality of the EVDL. If the question might seem somewhat off topic from a purist EV point of view, better to ask anyways. Let the list administrators extinguish anything too OT.

I think that several of the recent questions that have been attacked (e.g. EMBs) were very good questions and certainly relevant to EVS - things I've pondered in the past. It's very easy to hit the delete button if a topic doesn't interest you. I don't understand why some people have to be so quick to call someone off topic. It's like a bunch of kid waiting to go tattle to mommy.

For those that have felt offended and "won't be posting here for a long time", don't let those really deserving the weenie-awards get their way that easy :) Keep posting!

-Ryan

I start pulling out the wires between the onboard charger and the inlet in the
gas cap giving up on the idea that I'd find the fault after months of trying on
and off. Hiding in a section of frame tunnel I find a seriously melted anderson
where you can't see it but where water and road grime can get to it and sit. I
took a few pictures here of the connector after I cleaned up and the goo.
  http://tinyurl.com/etkfc
  At first I thought I saw it before when I looked it over but I have no record
of it and don't see how I would have seen it buried in there. I replaced it
with some weatherproof permanent connectors between just the pairs of wires I
still need since there is no need for a disconnect of anykind at that point or
for that third set of wires to be connected anymore since I don't have an
offboard charger.

Amazing. Good find. What kind of voltage and current was going thru
that connector?

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I start pulling out the wires between the onboard charger and the
inlet in the gas cap giving up on the idea that I'd find the fault
after months of trying on and off. Hiding in a section of frame tunnel
I find a seriously melted anderson where you can't see it but where
water and road grime can get to it and sit. I took a few pictures here
of the connector after I cleaned up and the goo.
>   http://tinyurl.com/etkfc
>   At first I thought I saw it before when I looked it over but I
have no record of it and don't see how I would have seen it buried in
there. I replaced it with some weatherproof permanent connectors
between just the pairs of wires I still need since there is no need
for a disconnect of anykind at that point or for that third set of
wires to be connected anymore since I don't have an offboard charger.

Wayne,

Not sure if this fits your needs, but I can share my experience.

I have now 2500 miles on my truck using 26 110Ah 12V batteries
which cost me $2200 so this should be well within your budget,
even when you would run a double string of them.
I have a single string of 312V (AC drive) and I sure like the
60 miles range that this offers (when driving carefully).

Weight of the battery is 71 lbs, so 10 will be 710 lbs which
means that less than 30% of the vehicle weight is battery.

Dependent on your skill and circumstances to drive carefully
your electricity consumption will be somewhere between 200 and 250
Wh per mile for a 'sedan' conversion.

With 120V and 250Wh per mile, your range would be around 30 miles
max in warm weather (60Ah available from the 110 Ah at 20h) so
the single string of 10 batteries it not sufficient.
Either find larger batteries or make a double string of them or
increase the battery voltage to get more energy stored.

Double strings will certainly give you enough range if you can keep
them well balanced, it should fit your budget but the weight of
1420 lbs may be way over the limit as you have more than 40% of
the car weight in batteries. See if your car has been modified by
others with heavier (aftermarket) or high performance parts, that
could give you a clue if this route is even feasible.

One example is the BMW 3-series has always had an "M" variant, which
means that the little car is a little over-designed to take the
extra loads that the M-performance puts on the chassis.
That makes me confident that this is a good candidate for a
conversion - others have done this too.

BTW I am using UB121100 which is a sealed AGM battery that is used
for wheel chairs and rugged standby power applications:
http://www.universalpowergroup.com/specs/D5751.pdf