  1) Re: US Electricar on Ebay, in Glendale, AZ.
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: RC Battery chargers instead of regulators?
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) [Hybrid] Honda to put Insight powertrain in new Fit/Jazz
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Help with Lawn Mower Conversion
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Battery interconnect challenge
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: US Electricar on Ebay, in Glendale, AZ.
        by "Will Beckett \(becketts\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: A new charger idea
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Suitable Range Extending Alternator for Trailer Power Supply
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Battery interconnect challenge
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: bulb regs and Magnechargers
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: DC-DC converters
        by "Sweeney, John P" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: [Hybrid] Honda to put Insight powertrain in new Fit/Jazz
        by nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: No V28 Chevy at High Voltage Nationals
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Battery interconnect challenge
        by David Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) I think THIS is worth Taking NOTE of
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: US Electricar on Ebay, in Glendale, AZ.
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: RC Battery chargers instead of regulators?
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Battery interconnect challenge
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: No V28 Chevy at High Voltage Nationals
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Battery interconnect challenge
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: RC Battery chargers instead of regulators?
        by "Stefan T. Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) DC Regen
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: US Electricar on Ebay, in Glendale, AZ.
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: No V28 Chevy at High Voltage Nationals
6000 lbs??? Say what?? Cor, we need to find a scale!

I've played with the top speed constant, so the redline can be
changed, so maybe it does 80mph. In stock form it will sputter up to
75mph. Might be bit hard on the motor though at 80mph.

With gas prices at $3.25 around here for regular, it will be
interesting to see how much is sells for.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Looks like it's in decent shape, even though the
> seller is a bit clueless: I count 26 batteries (312V)
> which are more than likely bad at this moment and no
> way it is ever going to do 80 MPH (redline is 72) or
> 70 miles per charge on 70 Ah of batteries.
> But for the price it is a very interesting deal,
> including built-in Emeter and 3 chargers, two of
> which Magnechargers!
>
> Beats me why someone would shave doorhandles on a truck,
> maybe on a racing 2-seater it would make a difference,
> but on a truck?
> What's next? Carbon-fiber hood?
> Kind of putting deep dish rims on your garden tractor
> or rust-bucket-daily-driver-beater, but I digress.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ4638014037QQrdZ1
>
> Cor van de Water
> Systems Architect
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
> Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
> Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
> Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

I thought I saw a version of the Sentinel or it's oem that has
universal input from 88vac to 264vac.

Mike

(http://www.automotivepartsnetwork.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=212&i

http://www.automotivepartsnetwork.com/store/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=211

> > > http://www.ineedparts.com/store/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=222
> > >

> > > Matt Milliron [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > 1981 Jet Electrica, Ford Escort
> > > My daughter named it, "Pikachu".
> > > It's yellow and black, electric and
> > > contains Japanese parts, so I went with it.
> > > http://evalbum.com/702.html

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/05/honda_fit_hybri.php

Honda Fit Hybrid: Mid-2007, Hybrid CR-V: Late 2006
May 5, 2006 03:14 PM - Michael G. Richard, near Ottawa

Bradley Berman, the editor of HybridCars.com (you can see a video
interview with him at the New York Auto Show), has received
confirmation from an anonymous industry insider that Honda will
produce a hybrid version of the Fit (also known as the Honda Jazz - we
wrote about the possibility of a hybrid version a couple of months
ago). It is scheduled for release in mid-2007.

The insider said:

If you take the measurement from the wheel hub to the wheel hub of the
Fit and the Insight, they are the same to the millimeter. The Fit is
going to get the Insight engine. It's already a proven powertrain. It
will probably get fuel economy in the low to mid-50s.

According to the same source, Honda will probably continue to make the
Insight hybrid even though sales are very slow (less than 100 per
month) for the bragging right of having the most fuel efficient hybrid
(though it's arguable that the Toyota Prius is relatively more
efficient if you consider that it is heavier, roomier, more powerful
and doesn't use as much expensive aluminum to reduce weight).

In the interview, HybridCars.com learned that Honda would also release
a hybrid version of its CR-V mini-SUV [pictured above] in late 2006.
Honda has not publicly confirmed its plans for hybrid versions of the
Fit or CR-V. [...] Even with the Fit's hybrid premium, its price will
beat out the Civic Hybrid by approximately $5,000 and a Prius by
$7,000 or more. The gas-only Fit is powered by a 109-horsepower
1.5-liter, four-cylinder VTEC engine. The hybrid version. according to
the HybridCars.com interview, will utilize a 1.0-liter engine.

Joel Silverman wrote:
> free Snapper 8hp rider, engine in the rear. The engine is shot but
> the entire chassis is in great shape. Looks like a great candidate
> for an electric conversion. I would like to be able to mow up to a
> 1/2 acre, my yard is basically flat. Need suggestions for voltage,
> a motor(hp, etc), charger, controller(if needed), etc.

I'm guessing this is a lightweight riding mower, not a garden tractor.
if so, it's weight-carrying capacity is pretty low. Since you have a lot
of batteries around, you might want to make a quick-change battery box
so you can mow the front yard, swap packs, and mow the back yard while
the other battery recharges. This will cut the mower's battery weight in
half.

The BB600's make sense. You only mow once a week, and there won't be so
many of them that it becomes a maintenance headache. They deliver high
current, so a light pack can still provide plenty of current for a short
time. A 24v to 36v pack should be about right.

A surprisingly small motor will be fine. I used a 1.5hp 24vdc motor from
ABC Electronics in Minneapolis to replace the 8hp motor in a garden
tractor.

Nice way to document your work Don!! Was the copper the softer
refridgerant type or the hard drawn water pipe stuff?

Can the reflow after crimping process be improved? Cold solder does
not crimp well as it becomes very fishured and cracked, thus the
higher impedance. Could just the first 1/4" at the end of the crimp be
fluxed and dipped instead of the whole crimp being dipped? This would
minimize wicking into the flexible part of the braid.

I build battery packs for the Battlebots folks with braid. It has to
stay flexible too. So I understand the problem.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Check out the short braided connections I made for my batteries - same
> scenario as you describe.
>
> http://www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/EV_BatteryConnections.html
>

> Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada
>
> see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

I don't believe it.  My Blazer was 5,000 lbs.

- Will

323 Los Altos Drive
Aptos, CA  95003

(831) 688-8669
http://becketts.ws/Will

6000 lbs??? Say what?? Cor, we need to find a scale!

I've played with the top speed constant, so the redline can be changed, so
maybe it does 80mph. In stock form it will sputter up to 75mph. Might be bit
hard on the motor though at 80mph.

With gas prices at $3.25 around here for regular, it will be interesting to
see how much is sells for.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Looks like it's in decent shape, even though the seller is a bit
> clueless: I count 26 batteries (312V) which are more than likely bad
> at this moment and no way it is ever going to do 80 MPH (redline is
> 72) or 70 miles per charge on 70 Ah of batteries.
> But for the price it is a very interesting deal, including built-in
> Emeter and 3 chargers, two of which Magnechargers!
>
> Beats me why someone would shave doorhandles on a truck, maybe on a
> racing 2-seater it would make a difference, but on a truck?
> What's next? Carbon-fiber hood?
> Kind of putting deep dish rims on your garden tractor or
> rust-bucket-daily-driver-beater, but I digress.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ4638014037QQrdZ
> 1
>
> Cor van de Water
> Systems Architect
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
> Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
> Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
> Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

I proposed a similar idea once upon a time. Sometimes it's better to
put the working model in someones face for their opinion than to ask
them what they think of the idea. Not many people can envision its
function like you do. I'd say try it.

Mike

Rod Hower wrote:
> As Lee pointed out earlier a BLDC motor gets very poor
> efficiency when lightly loaded.  This company has an
> interesting solution to this problem.  The graphic on
> the main page shows exactly how this concept works,
> http://www.variabletorquemotors.com/index.html
> The rotor slides in and out of the stator creating
> a variable stack length and hence optimizing
> efficiency  for a wide range of loads.

I've seen the movable rotor applied to AC motors for years; it's common
in small AC induction motors where a clutch/brake is activated by the
lengthwise movement of the rotor. There is a *huge* mechanical force
trying to re-center the rotor, so it is easy to have it activate a
brake, clutch, or other mechanical device.

But here, it's being done to mechanically vary the field strength, and
so to change the volt/rpm and amps/torque ratios of a PM motor. A clever
idea! It should neatly reduce the light-load losses, and provides a
mechanical speed adjustment.

PS: My favorite "oddball" motor is the spherical-rotor induction motor.
Infinitely variable synchronous speed with fixed-frequency, fixed
voltage excitation. The stator is cut into two half spheres, which can
be mechanically rotated 0-180 degrees relative to each other. The
spherical rotor fits inside. The surface velocity of the rotating
magnetic field is constant, but the speed that it imparts on the rotor
varies smoothly from 0 to normal synchronous speed!

Hi Mike,  I used water pipe copper.  Heated and dipped in flux before
tinning.  I tried to redip the crimp, but then the solder wicked up the
braid, causing the whole thing to stiffen.  However, I am sure I have read
that others have had more success.  I think Neon John wrote a posting about
this.

Don

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

Nice way to document your work Don!! Was the copper the softer refridgerant
type or the hard drawn water pipe stuff?

Can the reflow after crimping process be improved? Cold solder does not
crimp well as it becomes very fishured and cracked, thus the higher
impedance. Could just the first 1/4" at the end of the crimp be fluxed and
dipped instead of the whole crimp being dipped? This would minimize wicking
into the flexible part of the braid.

I build battery packs for the Battlebots folks with braid. It has to stay
flexible too. So I understand the problem.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Check out the short braided connections I made for my batteries - same
> scenario as you describe.
>
> http://www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/EV_BatteryConnections.html
>

> Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada
>
> see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

Sounds right. I would expect this behavior to diminish as the batteries
get back in balance over successive charge cycles. These regulators only
shunt 0.5 amps, so they can correct imbalance at the rate of about 0.5ah
per hour. If the batteries are (say) 5ah out of balance, you'll need 10
hours of charging to correct it. You're only going to do 1-2 hours of
overcharge per charge cycle, so it will take 5-10 charge cycles.

*nod* in the Cortez "Burn my ships" stype I just reprogrammed and crashed my Dolphin trying to reduce the end charge voltage from 390 (way too high, even with the regs) to 362. I'm going to be spending some time now figuring out how to reprogram the darn thing properly.

What surprised me is that the Dolphin was cranking out 2ah rate even at 390 volts (only for about 10 mins before I caught it). Great. Hopefully this did not damage the regs, glad I put a resistor in each one.

I use a KEPCO supply for my DC-DC the model # is RKW12-27 it is a 27 amp
supply that runs on 85 to 265 VAC or 110 to 370 VDC The output is
adjustable +/- 10 percent (currently set to 13.8V) it can remote sense
voltage and has the ability to current share with other supplies.  I
think I paid about $250 for it. It has worked flawlessly for me. The
supplies are available directly from KEPCO. KEPCO has much larger
supplies if you need more current.

Pat