  1) TdS Report #21: Exhibitor Profile: Starfire Systems
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) TdS Report #22: Photos - Starfire Systems
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) RE: Drill Bits for Plastics, Plexiglas, & Acyrlics
        by Gnat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) TdS Report #23: Exhibitor Profile:  Roosevelt Island Hybrid Transit Bus
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  5) TdS Report #24: Photos - Roosevelt Island Hybrid Transit Bus
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  6) Re: Spare 1998 Chevrolet S-10???
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Drill Bits for Plastics, Plexiglas, & Acyrlics
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: my own outlet
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: what to do when it rains on your parade
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: When it rains build rainbows
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: my own outlet
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Drill Bits for Plastics, Plexiglas, & Acyrlics
        by "Ted C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) TdS Report #25: Team Profile:  Electrovaya maya-200
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) TdS Report #26: Photos - Electrovaya maya-200
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: Comparison
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: I need advice/ Making a GEM go farther and faster.
 17) TdS Report #27: Monte Carlo Entrant: Hymotion
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) TdS Report #28: Photos - Hymotion
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Re: Comparison
        by "David  McWethy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) TdS Report #29: Team Profile:  Sunpacer
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 21) TdS Report #30: Photos - Sunpacer
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) Vacuum courtesy of the mercedes-diesel list.
 23) TdS Report #31: Team Profile:  Zodiac
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 24) TdS Report #32: Photos - Zodiac
TdS Report #21: Exhibitor Profile: Starfire Systems

Chad Rittershausen rode into the exhibit area on a 2001 Ducati Monster, painted
up with Starfire Systems and Starblade.  I asked what this was all about.  "I
do the riding of this bike, to test our Starblade product."

"Starblade is the name of the ceramic rotors in the disc brakes on this bike.
The ceramic brakes are about 1/3 the weight of a typical motorcycle rotor.  The
brakes on the Chevy Tahoe behind us are about 1/3 the weight of the cast iron
original equipment.  On the Tahoe, that saves 20 pounds of unsprung weight a
corner.

"On the motorcycle, the reduced weight makes it more nimble.  The gyroscopic
forces on the tires are much less.  Racers and normal street riders find that
leaning the bike becomes less effort and produces less fatigue.  And the
braking performance exceeds the original equipment.

"The brake rotor is a composite ceramic part.  The ceramic polymer part is a
liquid at room temperature.  It is fired in a kiln to turn it into an amorphous
silicon carbide.  The fabric reinforcement in the part is a traditional carbon
fiber, such as found in sporting equipment.  The result is a very hard, very
durable ceramic.

"When braking, the brake pad, pressing against the spinning rotor, creates what
is called a `transfer film' that coats the surface of the rotor.  The adhesion
of the transfer film to the rotor is what does the braking.  That is why you
replace brake pads more often than rotors, because they are constantly
transferring this film.  The wear on our rotors gives us 2 to 3 times the life
of cast iron which cuts down on maintenance.  Because the rotors are harder and
don't wear as much, we can use a much more aggressive pad, which shortens
stopping distance."  In fact, they have `negative fade'.  As they get hotter
they grab the rotor a little bit more.

Do I need a special caliper?  "No.  We use the standard caliper that comes on
the bike."

"The motorcycle rotors are sold through a distributor in California,
BrakeTech."

The Chevy Tahoe is a test vehicle for a project with NYSERDA, the New York
State Environmental Research and Development Authority.  "We are showing the
viability of this technology on larger vehicles, up to a city bus."

                http://www.StarfireSystems.com

 -      -       -       -
 The complete set of Tour de Sol Reports for 2006 can be found at:
             http://www.AutoAuditorium.com/TdS_Reports_2006
 The complete set of past Tour de Sol Reports can be found at:
             http://www.FovealSystems.com/Tour_de_Sol_Reports.html
 -      -       -       -
 The above is Copyright 2006 by Michael H. Bianchi.
 Permission to copy is granted provided the entire article is presented
 without modification and this notice remains attached.
 For other arrangements, contact me at  +1-973-822-2085 .
 -      -       -       -
 For more on the NESEA Tour de Sol, see the web page at
                        http://www.TourdeSol.org
 -      -       -       -
 Official NESEA Tour de Sol information is available from the sponsor,
 the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA) at
  413 774-6051 , and  50 Miles Street, Greenfield, MA 01301 , and
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] .  All media enquiries should be addressed to ...

                Stef Komorowski
                Classic Communications
                508-698-6810

TdS Report #22: Photos - Starfire Systems

Photographs from the Tour de Sol:
        http://www.AutoAuditorium.com/TdS_Reports_2006/photos_009.html

Starfire Systems

Starblade ceramic brake rotors claim superior performance with reduced weight.

A Ducati Monster motorcycle used as the Starblade test vehicle.

The Chevy Tahoe, also used in testing.

Comparing the cast iron to the ceramic brake rotor.
Note that the iron rotor has cooling voids, where the ceramic rotor is solid.

 -      -       -       -
[...]

In aircraft we use plexis windows and just use a drill bit that has
a different angle on the end. Nothing special to get or to regrind from
a standard bit.

Dave

> Polycarbonate can be cut/drilled/milled no problem, plexiglass is totally
> different: brittle, scratchable so need same special drill bit as
> glass with
> low speed
>
> cordialement,
> Philippe
>
> Et si le pot d'échappement sortait au centre du volant ?
> quel carburant choisiriez-vous ?
>  http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr
> Forum de discussion sur les véhicules électriques
> http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr/Forum/index.php

Edwin Dominguez is a bus operator for the Roosevelt Island Operating
Corporation which runs 9 city transit buses on the island community between
Manhattan and Queens.  Last February they took delivery of four Orion 7 diesel-
electric buses.  "It is powered by a small Cummins engine, which drives a
generator that charges the batteries on the roof.  One electric motor then
drives the bus."

The bus is 40 feet long, seats 42 people, and stands 30.  "But sometimes we get
about 80 people in the bus."

"When I drive it, it is very quiet, very comfortable, and very smooth."  The
driver's have a Recaro seat.  "The climate control is great.  In many ways it
is like a regular diesel bus, but more efficient.  The riders are very
interested in the technology.  `Is this all electric?'  `Do you plug it in?'"

At this point Paul Chilkotowsky joined the conversation.  "There is a battery
conditioner that can be used to charge the batteries."  He is with Daimler-
Chrysler Commercial Buses North America at Orion Bus.  BAE Systems is the other
partner in this enterprise.  They provide the series hybrid propulsion system.
There is no transmission.  The electric traction motor directly drives the rear
wheels through the differential.

Buddy Sadar is the technician for the bus.  "This is improving our fuel
consumption and reducing emissions."  The fuel economy on the bus is about 8
miles per gallon.  On the regular bus they get about 5 or 4.  "And engine
maintenance is easier.  We also save on oil changes."

On Manhattan island, the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) has 325 Orion
hybrids of various vintages, and they expect another 500 Orion 7s.

 -      -       -       -
[...]

        http://www.AutoAuditorium.com/TdS_Reports_2006/photos_010.html

Roosevelt Island Hybrid Transit Bus

This was easily the biggest hybrid at the Tour de Sol this year.

The hybrid buses in service on Roosevelt Island are low-floor,
kneeling and wheelchair ramp equipped.
The box on the roof holds the batteries.

It still looks cramped, but the word is these buses are easier to work on.

The view inside, looking to the rear.

 -      -       -       -
[...]

There is a mixture of two trucks in there. One apart and one together.
 That's the GM S10 EV.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Look at this (withdrawn) listing, in particular
> the bottom left picture. Is that a halfway dismantled S-10 as spare?
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ4637039821
>
> BTW - the truck sold immediately via "BuyItNow" for 15,000 in the
relisting.

> Cor van de Water
> Systems Architect
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
> Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
> Proxim Wirele****etworks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
> Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

Sharkey said ...But polycarbonate isn't necessarily much like plexiglass

I will second that, I work in plastics

Lexan is GE's tradename for polycarbonate
Plexiglass is Rohm & Haas's trade name for cast grade sheet acrylic

Lexan is very tough, but looses it's toughnees if exposed to greases, it
is used for safety glasses,bullet proof glass, etc. Drill and tap with
normal stuff, but watch what lubricant you use. I often grab a bottle of
409 or fantastic

Plexiglass is very brittle and the drill breaking thru ften shatters it,
so the pointed front drill with little web is designed to break thru
without a lot of down force and not pull itself thru. It also reduces
the attached chip on nylon and other plastics. We use 100s a year for
this reason on nylon wheel-chair wheels.

2 related items.
  1)  Vivak : it is Bayer's PETG product most known for it's use in 2
liter bottles
  This stuff is very clear, tough, but
http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/web_docs/8248SHF_VI_DS.pdf
   I am gonna use it to cover my batteries to keep poking hands from
getting zapped.
It is available in sheet form,   I just got a quote from the local
"Precision Plastics" of $47.29 for a 4x8 sheet .062 thick and $71.75
.093 thick.

  2) Ths monthes plastic technology magazine has an upgrade to their
earlier article
http://www.plasticstechnology.com/articles/200604fa1.html about the new
scratch resistant coating available for polcarbonate winshields and has
recieved approval to use them in cars.  I don't think we are gonna see
the option to replace our glass in our conversions for a long time, but
loosing 50% of the glass weight would be nice in my conversion,
T-top,hatchback, and frameless doors make a lot of extra glass weight.
Europe first.

Nick Austin wrote:
> Isn't it true that if you form a path from hot to neutral, then the
> GFCI won't trip? Igor would need to stick the fork from hot to
> ground to trip it, right?

That's correct. The GFCI won't trip for loads between hot and neutral.
But the circuit breaker that protects the outlet *would* trip if little
Igor shorted hot to neutral with a fork.

However, think about how unlikely this is. He would have to be strong
enough to bend a fork so it *fits* in both prongs at the same time. Even
if he did, he'd be rewarded with one fast ZAP! that occurs inside the
outlet, and then nothing. He wouldn't get a shock, or even get burned.

>> Outdoor AC outlets are *everywhere* around here. Every home, store,
>> and garage has them.

> I've noticed this too.

And the fact that I can't ever remember anyone being electrocuted by
fooling around with them should tell us something about their relative
safety. I'm sure it happens; but how often considering the billions of
AC receptacles in use?

Ken Trough wrote:
>> We have just been informed by Rt. 66 Raceway that the NEDRA and AFV
>> Expo EVent on Saturday May 13, 2006 has been cancelled due to rain
>> and cold weather.

> Too bad a "plan B" was not in place. This has happened too many times
> in the past as well. Wicked Watts in Vegas was recently cancelled due
> to winds.
>
> I have suggested on the NEDRA discussion board that we plan some
> additional events surrounding the racing and weather dependent
> outdoor venues. That way when people dedicate significant resources
> and converge from all points on the map they will still have
> >something< EV related to do in the area. If the weather is nice
> then these extra EVents will draw even more participants and
> spectators to the races.

That's a good idea! I'm not into drag racing, but would be more likely
to come if there were other races (slalom, range competition), how-to
demonstrations, flea market, vendors showing their wares, etc. More like
a convention than a one-event gathering.

PS: For any of you still in the area, BEST will be holding our electric
car races on Saturday May 20 in Minneapolis MN at the Cooper High School
Athletic track. We have about a dozen teams of 4th-6th graders racing
their own go-kart sized EVs that they designed and built. There's a drag
race, a slalom, and an endurance race, as well as car show, how-to
talks, and other events. It's free to all interested parties. See
www.bestoutreach.com for more information!

PPS: In case of rain, we wiil move to the *INDOOR* 1/8 mile track in the
Becker MN Middle School. One good thing about EVs is that we can race
indoors as well as outside :-)

--- Begin Message --- I just spoke to John and he is at breakfast at Bob Evan's restaurant in Joliette right now with about 40 other hungry ampheads from around the country. They are in the process of figuring out where to go race. So many tracks in the Midwest are rained out right now. They are considering Union Grove, Wisconsin. I will keep you posted when I know more.

Roderick

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>