  1) Re: Vectrix
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: $67K for a RAV4 EV?!
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) A Wild Ride in the Zombie and Burnouts Galore
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) TdS Report #39: More Reports Coming
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  5) RE: my own outlet
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Market socio-political dominance (was RE: $67K for a RAV4 EV?!)
        by "Joe Vitek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: The ultimate oppertunity charge
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: my own outlet
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: my own outlet
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Vectrix
 11) Circuit Breaker Short Circuit Interrupting Rating
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) $67K for a RAV4 EV?!
        by Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Tour de Sol Photos
        by Dave Stensland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Where's Killacycle?
        by Dave Stensland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: my own outlet
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: my own outlet
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Vectrix
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Vectrix
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: $67K for a RAV4 EV?!
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Electric kit cars
        by Daniel J Jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Vectrix
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
You should be able to get one to your door in Texas hopefully sometime in
the next year to year and a half, based on the latest we've heard from
Vectrix.  Vectrix brought two of their bikes to the Miami Beach Earth Expo
two weeks ago, gave test rides on Ocean Drive, set up their initial South
Florida dealer network, and gave us (in the Florida EAA) an update on their
progress.  In addition to their 18 existing prototype bikes, they started
their 50-bike pilot production run at their 30,000 sq.ft. New Bedford,
Massachusetts factory on May 1, which they will complete in two weeks.  They
are launching full production at their 32,000 sq.ft. Wroclaw, Poland factory
in October at a rate of several hundred bikes per month.  As they have
around 15,000 existing pre-production orders in Europe versus around 3,000
here in the US, the lion's share of the first year of production will be
committed to European order fulfillment but with a small share of bikes
coming off the Polish production line diverted to seeding the US market and
beginning to fulfill orders here for early adopters on a
first-come/first-served basis, based on when US retail customers signed up
on Vectrix's pre-production order sign-up form on their website.  Shipping
logistics have already been worked out and put in place.  DOT and European
homologation have been completed.  The US factory in New Bedford, MA likely
won't be fired up until a year after the Polish plant is turned up, so
expect sometime in late 2007.  If you signed up on Vectrix's US
pre-production order form on their website in 2004 to mid 2005, you can
expect to get your (Polish-assembled) bike in early-to-mid 2007.  Otherwise
you'll probably have to wait until late 2007 or early 2008 to get your bike.

Charles Whalen

On Monday, May 15, 2006 6:51 AM, Mark Hastings wrote:

I just want to know how to get one to my door in texas. That would be
wonderful for my wifes commute and she really likes it. There seems to be
nothing else on two wheeled like that available that can go 55mph, or for
that matter three or four wheeled for a reasonable price.

Death to All Spammers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  >
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/765 Seems it is no longer vaporware.
Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
Vegetable Oil Car.
415-821-3519

On Sun, 14 May 2006 22:48, Death to All Spammers wrote:

The auto industry says there is no demand for EVs, but a used RAV4
sells for $20K over MSRP? Seems to disprove their statement...unless
someone bid this high from auction fever, or the collectors' value?

On Monday, May 15, 2006 7:40 AM, John Norton wrote:

It tells you about the market for *1* of these things.

When offered for lease, Toyota found about 300 customers a year.

Even if they sold them all at 67k, there is no business case for them at
those volumes.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  There are two different Silicon Valley
startup ventures that have each raised millions of dollars in venture
capital for a business model of selling only 100 or less EVs a year at
$80-100k a piece in both cases.  I have not seen the business plan of either
one, and like you, I would personally question that business model and might
have some doubts about it, especially when taking into account the many
millions that have been invested and the prospects for full return and
profitability on all that capital invested.  But I know and have spoken with
others who *have* seen the specific details of those business models,
including some very well-connected, long-time EVers and engineers, and who
think that the business model (@ 100 or less vehicles per year) makes sense.
I really don't know and can't say myself.  But some of the most savvy and
successful Silicon Valley venture capital firms are betting millions of
their own money and their investors' funds to try to prove you, me, and
conventional wisdom wrong on that.

Then of course you've also got major automakers like Porsche who are able to
make a profit on selling only a few hundred cars a year for some of their
premium models.  So the precedents for this do exist and are out there
today.

Charles Whalen

Hey everyone,

I just arrived back from the EV festivities in Joilet. Although the events went on through Sunday I had to leave early Sunday morning to catch a plane back for Mother's Day.

I guess everyone heard about the event being rained out. The Route 66 track decided to cancel the Saturday Alt Fuel Expo and the NEDRA High Voltage Nationals on Friday night. I felt bad for John Emde and the Fox Valley Folks, like Ted and Todd who put hours of work. And guys like Matt Graham who drove all the way from Florida with their cars and John, Tim, Father Time and Jim who travelled from Oregon to race. Bob Salem who travelled from Ohio with his VW Truck. Darin Gilbert from Detroit with his bike. Bob Rice from Connecticut with his car. And Bill Dube coming from Colorado with the Killacycle.

After we heard the racing event was cancelled. John Wayland was determined to race so he looked for some area tracks. There was a track in Wisconsin about 80 miles away that looked promising. In the meantime the Fox Valley folks said the event would move to the Pep Boys parking lot a couple blocks from the Motel 6.

I'm not sure if John ever found a track but everyone brought their cars to the Pep Boys parking lot under overcast skies but it was safe enough to keep the hoods open for several hours.

John was itching to do something with the Zombie so we all thought it would be cool to do some burnouts in the parking lot. Matt was game and wanted to join the fun so he positioned his 300V Nissan 240SX into the lane and Tim moved the 360 or 340 volt Zombie right behind Matts so they were rear bumper to rear bumper. Then they let loose. The first burnout was the best with both cars letting loose of some smoke but too much traction to stay in one spot and they quickly bolted ahead. They took advantage of the puddles in the parking lot and tried wetting the tires but the Zombie still took off even with the front wheels locked down. And even with wheel chocks the Zombie pushed those effortlessly up the parking lot. Proof that the recent gearing changes to the Zombie had some effect on the traction. This car needed to see some Street Action fast.

John Emde's Aggravated Battery dragster attempted to do some burnouts but the dragster couldn't stay still long enough to do a burnout and QUICKLY shot down the lot. These EVs are definitly quick off the line.

Darin did a really cool burnout with his Pirahna and earlier in the day Shawn Waggoner did a wild burnout with his Orange Crush Pocket Bike which was running one of Jim Husted's motor creations.

The wildest burnout of the day belonged to Bob Rice. Yep, that's right. Bob Rice's lead sled - his electric Rabbit. We chocked the back wheels and Bob just sat there and did one of the longest burnouts I've ever seen. Smoke was everywhere. Even coming out of the hood and filling inside the passenger compartment and we couldn't see Bob in the car! It was aweseome. He commented that once the car settled in at 145 volts at 340 amps it just effortlessly sat there and burned rubber. He could have kept going till the rubber wore down to the rims and I bet we would have seen a spectacular spark show had it come to that.

After the burnouts, John Wayland waved me over and said. "Chip, come over here and get in the Zombie!" So I strapped myself into the co-pilots seat and Tim took the controls. I had no idea what to expect. This was the first time I had ever seen the Zombie in person and actually the first time the car has been driven on the street since the latest changes were made. We headed out of the parking lot onto Jefferson Street. Tim took every opportunity he had to get squirlly with the car. It was awesome! We were going down the road at about 35 mph and then to my surprise Tim just let loose. The acceleration snapped my head back against the seat so hard that my NEDRA hat flipped backwards and landed in the back of the car. I guess you can say my hat was officially initiated. I couldn't believe it. The acceleration, even when gunning it from 35 mph was incredible. The whole trip was like that. Tim would find an opening in the traffic and just let it go, slowing down only when a cop would pass by or when the traffic was getting a bit tight. It was like a roller coaster ride. The Zombie is so light and responsive. When we got back John said, "What do you think?" Actually I had the EV Zombie grin which pretty much said it all. But I was a little let down when John said he had limited the Zombie to 800 amps so I wasn't experiencing "everything" the Zombie could dish out! Maybe that's a good thing because I might be in traction right now in a hospital in Joliet if he had turned it all the way up. Tim was telling me when he races the Zombie he gets bruises and his neck often aches after driving the car. I believe it. You don't drive this car you aim it. A word of advice if John ever gives you a ride in the Zombie. Brace yourself and hold onto your hats.

I'll have pictures up of some of the highlights of the day, particularly the burnouts, on the NEDRA site later this evening. A larger album of pictures will be on the MegawattMotorworks.com site once I send them to Dave Stensland.

Chip Gribben
NEDRA Webmaster
http://www.nedra.com

TdS Report #39: More Reports Coming

The Winners have been announced, but the Reports have not ended.  There are
several more hours of interviews and lot of pictures coming.  Stay tuned.

 -      -       -       -
 The complete set of Tour de Sol Reports for 2006 can be found at:
             http://www.AutoAuditorium.com/TdS_Reports_2006
 The complete set of past Tour de Sol Reports can be found at:
             http://www.FovealSystems.com/Tour_de_Sol_Reports.html
 -      -       -       -
 The above is Copyright 2006 by Michael H. Bianchi.
 Permission to copy is granted provided the entire article is presented
 without modification and this notice remains attached.
 For other arrangements, contact me at  +1-973-822-2085 .
 -      -       -       -
 For more on the NESEA Tour de Sol, see the web page at
                        http://www.TourdeSol.org
 -      -       -       -
 Official NESEA Tour de Sol information is available from the sponsor,
 the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA) at
  413 774-6051 , and  50 Miles Street, Greenfield, MA 01301 , and
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] .  All media enquiries should be addressed to ...

                Stef Komorowski
                Classic Communications
                508-698-6810

Dave Cover wrote:

> Shouldn't we be concerned with little Igor playing with two
> pieces of wire? Or any combination?
> Limiting this argument to just a fork (i.e. not considering
> the person as part of the conductive path) falls short of
> considering all the real possibilities.

Well, discussion has revolved about the example scenario that was
proposed, whether it happens to be a really good one or not ;^>

I'm not convinced that we should be particularly concerned about Igor
playing with wires, etc. where he has to deliberately stick something
into an outlet to get himself into danger.  It seems to me that the most
important concern should be to ensure there is a working GFCI to protect
the innocent bystander from a dangerous shock resulting from touching a
parked EV while charging.

As has been pointed out numerous times, there are all sorts of outlets
already in publicly accessible places that determined kids could amuse
themselves with, yet there doesn't seem to be a huge problem with kids
going out and electrocuting themselves.

I do like the idea of placing the outlet inside a lockable box so that
access to the outlet is restricted while the EV is not plugged in, and
so that the box can be locked to prevent someone unplugging the EV when
it is charging, however, even this is a measure that little Igor can
defeat if he is really determined.  At what point do you draw the line
and decide that you've taken reasonable measures to prevent accidental
injury to a child?  I think the lockable box, or a lockable retainer to
hold the plug into the female end of an ordinary extension cord must be
pretty near the upper end of what can be done.  At the lower end, I
think that for an ordinary 120V outlet, equipping it with some form of
child safety cover and protecting it with GFCI is arguably enough as it
is then already better protected than 99% of publicly accessible
outlets.

The oldest of my 3 kids is now 5, and I can attest that a simple child
safety cover for household 5-15 outlets that provides shutters over the
contacts

(e.g.
<http://www.childsafetystore.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/25/Standard%20Outlet%20Cov
er%20by%20KidCo>)

provides excellent protection against a young child sticking something
into an outlet.  One can even buy decora style receptacles with the
safety shutters built in

(eg. <http://www.rewci.com/detareouprch.html>, or
<http://www.konceptech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=
K&Product_Code=DS5000-W>)

I would recommend these over the shuttered cover, since the additional
depth of the shuttered cover reduces the amount of blade that makes
contact inside the 5-15 outlet.

Here's a type of cover that offers much of the security of a locking
box, but retrofittable to an existing duplex receptacle and without the
need for keys:

<http://www.safety1st.com/product.asp?productID=170>

> The author actually devotes a chapter to EVs and point out that they
> have some of the signs of being a "disruptive" technology and their
> success or failure will largely depend on how car manufacturers choose
> to build the market.  As we all know the auto companies choose to do EVs
> from within their existing organizations and becuase of that (according
> to the author's theory) were destined to fail.  Sales people steering
> people to other cars, GM's public statements about the inability to
> profit from the EV1 and the like are signs that this type of
> subconscience sabotaging of the disruptive technology.

Will someone step up and become the next Preston Thomas Tucker of the EV world?
Buuuttt,
this time, follow through intelligently? Or will such a startup be quashed by
negative/bad
press and dominant market players to the point of smashing innovation?

Will it ever happen that new technology such as this will be brought to market
by a
company of people who will not succumb to big oil (and their political cronies)?

It will be an extremely tough one to crack...

--
joe

I intended to come, but the weather sort of screwed things
up. My household has been juggling one car around as of
late, so once the rain cancelled the event, that was pretty
much it. I had no idea who was going to be there when they
moved it to the Pep Boy's parking lot, and I heard things
like 'Omaha' or 'Wisconsin' as being places where the races
would then be held.

Oh well. I'll meet Plasmaboy and his white bitch one of
these days... I was really looking forward to attending the
meet at Route 66.

I did see the video of Matt Graham and John Wayland racing
in the parking lot. God damn that looked fun! Two cars that
will do 0-60 in under 4 seconds and best Porsches, Ferraris,
and Corvettes in acceleration... You don't see that every
day!

The photos of the Zombie and all the rubber caking its ass
end are revealing in regard to its tire roasting aptitude.
That smell of roasted rubber must have been refreshing.

The acceleration must have been even more sickening than a
Shelby Cobra. I remember hearing stories from old farts in
their childhood, how there'd be a $20 bill tapedto the
dashboard. Where if the passenger could grab it while
accelerating, they'd be able to keep it. Every time, no one
can grab it! Riding in the zombie must be like that, times
ten, from Chip's description. I'm waiting for it to get a
Siamese 9 or a monster WarP 13". That would pull... 10s?
Aren't many street legal gas cars that can do that and still
pass inspection and emissions, and maintain stock doors and
windows, even though they do exist(and have $100k+ dumped
into them).

John warned me to wear rubber shorts. I imagine that warning
would have been dead on had I left.

John must be disappointed. I know I was. Given who was there
at that parking lot, I certainly regret not having left...
but given the circumstances, I was entirely unaware of who
was going to be there, and nothing new was posted on the
fveaa website until late. By the time I'd normally have left
for Chcicago(4AM), I was thinking John would be headed to
some other track where the rain didn't shut it down.

I really don't know how to apologize for not showing up. I
am kicking myself right now for not leaving.

At 01:46 PM 5/15/2006, you wrote:
Nick Austin wrote:

> Well, he may be burned, but will likely live.
>
> The fork will experience severe resistive heating in this
> case, likely giving Igor 1st or 2nd degree burns on his hand.

Have that few people on this list actually ever caused an accidental
short that resulted in opening an AC breaker?  Surely more of us have
first hand experience with tripping breakers than that?

The heating will be so localised and short in duration that Igor's hand
won't be burned at all.  The tip of the last fork tine to make contact
in the outlet may be vaporised, but the temperature of the fork anywhere
Igor can touch is unlikely to change perceptibly.

Anyone who has ever tripped the breaker on a 120V circuit by
accidentally shorting a pair of wires, knows that the breaker trips so
fast that the wires don't heat enough to melt their insulation; indeed,
they don't warm to the touch.

> Also, if his other hand touches the grounded outlet box, or
> he has a hand on the ground, the small amount of leakage
> current should also trip the GFCI correct?

Right.  The most dangerous scenario is that Igor does not present any
leakage path to ground at all.  In this case there is no imbalance to
trip the GFCI while the current through Igor is at a safe level.

Several 6th grade students, each with a paper clip, and an eraser.
Also after a few days and dozens of tripped breakers and blow fuses, one very irate janitor.;)

Paper clip did not heat up enough to even come close to melting the eraser.

Andre' B. Clear Lake, Wi.
Here is an interesting additional data point.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/bregnd.html#c5

This of course only reinforces the need for GFCI.