  1) Re: AC vs. DC
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Looking for C or D size NiMh batteries
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: New Netgain TransWarp 11
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Subaru Conversion (was RE: AC vs. DC)
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: AC vs. DC
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: AC vs. DC
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: AC vs. DC
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: PFC-30 question (in plain text this time)
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: AC vs. DC
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: AC vs. DC
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dana Havranek)
 11) Re: Whaddaya Call Them Springs?
        by Andrew Letton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Whoops. Left the charger on
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: New Netgain TransWarp 11
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Auto tranny shift solenoid
        by Mark Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Brushless turnkey system available
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Looking for C or D size NiMh batteries
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) How to attach battery rack to firewall
        by Ken Albright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Brushless turnkey system available
 19) Re: "It's the Instrumentation, Jim"
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Whoops. Left the charger on
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: AC vs. DC
        by Stefan Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Fw: Vectrix
 23) Checkit Wayland! Re:TdS Report #20: Photos - Solaqua Sound GEM
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 24) EV Copyright Infringement running rampant
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Looks like a challenge!
Do you have a cost constraint?

You could do it. Travelling at high speed for a long time is going to chew up loads of energy. You need somthing aerodynamic, light and also able to haul some weight of batteries. I reackon RX7 series 2 and above. If you can convert a series 6 onwards, then even better as they are even more aerodynamic.

Don't go series 1 because they have drum brakes at the rear. And with the weight of batteries you re carrying, not a good idea if you want to stop in a hurry.

I guess your amp limit on the 110 AC power point is something like 20 amps.
So in 8 hours of charging you could theoretically pull 17600 Whrs.
So putting in a charger efficiency of 80% or maybe more, but i'll be conservative. you'll get 14 kWhr at the batts. And energy efficiency of the batts i don't know because i am not sure what chemistry your using. But if its lead, i hope not for the distance your going. your going to have something like 80-85% energy efficiency of leads. So you'll get something like over 11kWhr you could use to supply energy to the motor controller.

And having a DOD of say 80% to push things a little, you looking at a useable capacity of just over 9kWhr.

So it may seem yo need a batt capacity of 9kWhr. You can work out the amp hour needed if you choose the voltage your running at.

My car uses 120 Whr from the batteries to the motor controller for an average commute my car weigh 700kg or 789kg with me in it. You'd be using i guess around 200 - 250 whr including the hill climbs i guess?

So then you could work out roughly how much range you could roughly get from 9kWhr.

Say 36 km's? Maybe lots more, maybe lot less depends on the design of the vehicle. And also depends on how much current you can pull out from the power point.

Am i wrong??
Just trying to be an engineer!

Cheers

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: AC vs. DC
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 10:12:41 -0400

I'm glad Rick started this thread ... takes some heat of me for asking so many questions. I guess it would have been better to poise some constraints and or operating conditions:

Donor will be most likely one of three automobiles:

   * a 4wd Subaru (sedan or wagon ... I lean more toward a wagon),
   * a Porsche 924 or 944, or
   * an RX-7

I realize the 4wd Subaru sounds out of place, but given our terrain and unpredictable winters it appealed to an aspect of my practical side. The other choices because their body styling seems to be somewhat ageless ... and I'd like to hang on to this project for my life time. OK ... application time.

Interstate driving is an inevitability. The grades here vary ... granted I live on a plateau, but 6-9% grades are common place (even on the interstate) with some shorter ones considerably steeper (like my driveway ... 3/4 mile straight up). I'm probably a fence straddler when it comes to performance ... it'd be nice to be able to break traction every now and then to show the punks downtown electricity isn't anything to mess with. Range is where I'm afraid I'm going to get hung ... currently my commute is just under 80 miles one way ... but there is a recharge source (110) and my day is typically 8 hours long. Environmentally ... well ... we do have some hot days, not New Mexico hot but hot to us none the less. It will commonly push 90 for a week or so during the summer months (we have hit 100+ before ... but it is rare). For the winter, months are a polar opposite to the summer ... zero to 10F for a week or so each year is good to kill off the ticks and other bugs. Each year is different, this one being temperate so far. Rain ... well believe it or not, the southern mountains of western NC are considered tropical due to its average rain fall. Wipers are a must ... and a defroster doesn't hurt either!

So some of the other goals to be accomplished:

       * Highway speeds 70mph for an hour
       * Pull steep grades regularly (70mph on the interstate, probably
         45-55mph secondary roads) probably for upwards of 2-5 miles at
         a time
       * Wipers
       * Defroster
       * Charge to full (or near) capacity for return trip within 7-8
         hours.
       * Endure temperature extremes
       * Minimal maintenance but allow for tinkering and possible upgrades
       * Peal some rubber spontaneously ... without line locking

Are these constraints reasonable?

Thanks,

Ralph.

Rick Todd wrote:
Ok people,
I am new to the whole EV thing and am looking to get started with a
conversion. The one thing that perplexes me at the moment is the AC vs. DC
technology.  Right now at this moment in time which is the better
technology?
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Rick

Research and compare new cars side by side at carpoint.com.au http://secure-au.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/a/ci_450304/et_2/cg_801459/pi_1004813/ai_833884
I'm looking for high temp (65C ambient) NiMh
batteries.
Probaby 50-200 pieces.
Anybody have a link for sources?
(not necessarily for an EV.)
Thanks,
Rod

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- ----- Original Message ----- From: "Pestka, Dennis J" <

Hi Pastka and all
I have a warp 11 in one of my ev's that I had a 9 in before , ,  here is a
video clip of it spinning the tires , while in 4th gear right tire dose most of the spinning . http://www.grassrootsev.com/mits.htm . From a dead stop the truck feels faster in the take of in 4th that in 3 ed , I know this doesn't seem to make allot of sense , but that's the feel I get from it .
The motor data sheet say 2 times the toque as their 9" for the same amp and
volts , this of course means 1/2 the rpm and makes 3ed gear feel like 1st
with a 9" and 4th gear which one would never take off in with a 9" feels
like 2ed .  I put some bigger tires on , and was smoking the tires for a
reporter when the tranny started making a noise . I'm planning on hooking the motor right to the rear now. I took the 2k zilla out and put it in pauls 959 Porsche http://www.worldclassexotics.com/ which also has a 11 net gain motor . We went for a test drive and after a bit started smelling what at first smelled like burning insulation , motor was cool , turned out to be the clutch . Yes a 911 stock clutch will not handle the torque , not even close .

Would one motor reduce the number of contactors needed to supply reverse?

could be done with one set of reversing contactors ( 2 contactors hooked together )

Can a series/parallel setup still be done with 1 motor?

Their 13 " motor has this for the field windings, but right now the 11 dose not . I'm running a 3.7 rear and even with some big 285 /15 it will still spin the wheels in 4th gear, but at about 70 mph the battery amp start to drop and it feels like its time to shift , this is where the series/ parallel would come in so as to get more power out of the controller , or if I had a 5 th gear . If you don't have room for 2 motors ( 8's or 9's ) than one 11 will let you experience the power of a 2k zilla but you will have to deal with 2 times the toque . I'd like to hear from some other 11 motor users also , are you finding the same things I'm seeing ?

Steve Clunn   , thinking about 2 11" , :-)

Does it gain you anything?

Sorry for all the questions;
Dennis

Hi Ralph, best to ask new questions under a different thread so Rick gets
his answer and you get yours. (this is known as "thread hi-jacking")

So in summary you want a conversion that does:

- Minimum range 80 miles
- involves 6-9% grades
- can recharge off 110v in less than 8 hours
- can drive up to 70mph on steep grades
- can spin wheels

This is a very tall order.  I doubt that you can get this range, speed and
power (for hills) with lead acid.  You would have to go to lithium to be
able to do it.  Can you afford $30,000 just for the battery pack?

You will have to make sacrifices:
        - do you want range or be able to "peel some rubber"?
        - do you want to drive in the winter 4WD or have a sports car
(Mazda, Porsche)
        - how big is your budget?

Don

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

Rick Todd wrote:
> Ok people,
> I am new to the whole EV thing and am looking to get started with a
> conversion.  The one thing that perplexes me at the moment is the AC
> vs. DC technology.  Right now at this moment in time which is the
> better technology?
> Any help would be great.
> Thanks,
> Rick

This is what I meant by it being a complicated question! :-)

Victor Tikhonov wrote:
> *comparable* DC motors are typically 2-4% less efficient than
> AC ones because of the brushes friction alone.

You have to look at exactly which motors you are comparing. The brushes
and commutator of a DC motor are its inverter -- it's built into the
motor. They have an efficiency of about 95-98%.

To compare it to an AC motor, you need to include the efficiency of
whatever you use for its inverter. EV size inverters are also 95-98%
efficient.

This puts us right back where we started!

> Efficiency of a system, DC or AC is *much* more dependent on the
> working region voltage, RPM, load. For example see Siemens system
> efficiency map here: http://www.metricmind.com/line_art/efficiency.gif

This is the key point in any discussion of efficiency. People often look
at the peak efficiency point, and ignore the fact that the vehicle
doesn't operate at this point very often.

An efficiency map like the one Victor posted is a great aid in
understanding the efficiency over a wide range of loads. First, it needs
to be the *system* efficiency (not just that of the motor or
controller). Second, you need to know the efficiencies at a range of
torques and rpms.

Then, you need to look at your vehicle's typical driving cycle. How much
time do you spend at each torque and rpm? If your efficiency peaks at a
torque-speed value that corresponds to 20 mph up a hill, or 80 mph on
the level, it's unlikely you will operate at this point for any length
of time.

This is a *lot* of work to calculate! That's why most people just build
a vehicle, drive it normally, and see how many amphours it takes for
their commute. This tells you your overall average efficiency. Then,
change something. Try a different motor, controller, AC vs. DC etc. and
see if it is better or worse.

In my experience, an AC system is harder to optimize, but can ultimately
produce a better end result. To get this result, you need to spend more
time and money. If you don't have the time and money, use DC.

> An AC motor can last you a million miles, but this is academic:
> you won't keep the vehicle, or battery, or controller for that long.

Agreed. The motor in an EV is the least of your problems. You can wreck
it from abuse, but you won't wear it out. The batteries and controller
will be less reliable. And as a practical matter, the *rest* of the
parts of a normal car are even less reliable than the batteries and
controllers!

> It's other problems: for instance if you hold your vehicle still on a
> small incline with a DC motor, consider its commutator toast. It *has*
> to rotate half rev per second is enough, but never still. AC motors
> have no issues like that.

They can. You can melt the rotor of an AC induction motor doing this.
Or, for a PM AC ("brushless DC") motor, you can fry a stator winding
because all the current flows through one winding.

I've wondered the same thing about my truck. From what you say I think
it would be worth making a test loop in the area with and without
regen and see what the Emeter judges as the difference.

Mike

> The Ranger doesn't allow very exact calculations of efficiency, but
> when my wife or son drive the truck, they never shift out of Economy
> (maximum regen setting), and based on the Avcon "announcement" of kWh,
> need 10-20% *more* energy. It could be other driving variables, but
> when I've been the passenger, I haven't notice any "seat of the pants"
> differences.

> So some of the other goals to be accomplished:
>
>         * Highway speeds 70mph for an hour
>         * Pull steep grades regularly (70mph on the interstate, probably
>           45-55mph secondary roads) probably for upwards of 2-5 miles at
>           a time
>         * Wipers
>         * Defroster
>         * Charge to full (or near) capacity for return trip within 7-8
>           hours.
>         * Endure temperature extremes
>         * Minimal maintenance but allow for tinkering and possible
upgrades
>         * Peal some rubber spontaneously ... without line locking
>

> Are these constraints reasonable?

Only if you have plenty of money - like the drag-racers say when you
ask how fast you can make your car go: "how much money ya got?"

Hello John,

When I received by PFC charger, the green wire at the charger end was cut
off, leaving only the white and black going to the Anderson connector. It
was known that I was going to install this charger in a isolated enclosure
that isolates all AC input circuits to the frame of the EV.

The AC input receptacle and plug is also isolated from the EV frame, where
only the charger chassis is AC grounded.  The continuity of the ground wires
on the AC side and DC side are the same, so in a isolated installation, only
the chassis of the charger is grounded and not to the frame.

When you bench mount the charger, your charger is isolated from the EV
chassis.  You charger chassis is grounded from the AC side.

In a isolated charger installation, you will have no potential from any one
battery post to the EV frame while the charger is on.  This also prevents
current tracking of the batteries to the frame.

Test this out, by taking a voltage reading from anyone of the batteries to
the EV frame.  A EV that is AC grounded using a non-isolated charger, you
would read the full charger voltage from any one battery to the frame.

So if you read this full voltage, make sure you do not lean against any
conductive metal on a EV and touching a battery connection while the charger
is on.

Even in a full isolation electrical installation, it is best to install a
ground detection system, that detects any non-grounding conductor that has a
current path to a metal enclosure that you want isolated from the circuit.

This ground detecting system, requires a AC magnetic contactor between the
AC input plug and the charger.   A ground detection unit, normally design
for Class I, Division I installation, either made by the Crouse Hinds or
Killark company.  When this ground detecting units detects a ground wire or
the un-ground conductors that make contact with a metal enclosure, it will
than indicate in a status display and/or shut off the AC magnetic contactor.

Instead of doing all of the above, you could install a 120 or 240 VAC GFI
circuit breaker or 120VAC GFIC recepticle, than you can ground the EV frame.
This will require a very clean installation, or you will have lots of
interrupting faults.

From: Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Otmar wrote:
> >> I knew this was going to be a difficult decission ha haha ...
> >> especially once I read the following:
> >>
> >> http://www.metricmind.com/qa.htm
> >

> > Oh Puhleeze!
> >
> > Is that bit of slander still up on the web!? Every now and then I hear
> > about it and it makes me cringe and swear. That argument has more holes
> > in it than Swiss Cheese.
>
> OK Otmar, I'll take it as a compliment ant try to elaborate. Once.
>
> > A few points from just a quick look at it:

(snip)

> ps. BTW, I often send people to your site too. Those for whom
> AC setup won't work or doesn't make sense.

Keystone makes "battery springs" something like what you're looking for.
http://tinyurl.com/pea6f
I think Digi-Key carries Keystone parts.
HTH,
Andrew

Bill Dennis wrote:

I'm looking on Digikey for some current carrying springs similar to what you
find at the top of a flashlight--but I can't seem to find anything.  Anybody
know if such an item exists, and what I need to search for?  I'm looking for
springs that can carry around 2A.

Thanks.

Christopher Zach wrote:
> The Dolphin is currently programmed to charge at 2a up to 380 volts.
> Forgot about it and came back 3 hours later. Interestingly enough,
> the car was reading 367 volts with a charge rate of 2amps. If the
> regs were working at full steam, they would be dissipating 1.2 amps
> (2 strings), leaving .8a to go somewhere...
>
> Out of curiousity, where was that .8a going? .4a to each string? Into
> some less charged batteries? Would the car ever get to 375 volts with
> the regs on the batteries?

You didn't say what the state of charge of the batteries was. Also, I
forget what your nominal pack voltage is, so I can't tell if that 367v
was 13v or 15v per 12v battery.

But... when you charge two lead-acid batteries in parallel to 15v,
here's what will happen.

 - the batteries are being overcharged
 - all the energy going in is converted to heat and gas
 - with your sealed batteries, the gas will pressurize the case,
   and eventually cause it to vent
 - the heat warms up the batteries
 - the hotter battery draws more current, producing more heat
 - if you let this process continue, you wind up with one cool battery
   carrying essentially zero amps and not venting; and one hot battery
   carrying all the current and vigorously venting its life away!

Hello Steve,

Yesssss, My GE-11.45 is something else.  Can't wait till I get it back from
Warfield, where they are doing a complete overhaul, and installing some of
the Warp 11 products in it.

I using a Warp 9 as a temporary motor, and it does not have the performance
of the 11.  The 9 at 3000 rpm which I have to keep in 2nd gear with a
overall ratio of 13.5:1 is at 200 motor amps and 50 battery amps at 30 mph
driving a 6840 lbs EV.

The GE-11.45 in 5.57:1 third gear is at 180 motor and battery amps at 60
mph.  One time, I accidentally press the accelerator a little too much and I
shatter the motor coupler which is 2.5 inches thick and 6 inches in
diameter.  It felt that a Semi hit me in the back at 100 mph.

> I have a warp 11 in one of my ev's that I had a 9 in before , ,  here is a
> video clip of it spinning the tires , while in 4th gear right tire dose
> most
> of the spinning .
> http://www.grassrootsev.com/mits.htm  . From a dead stop the truck feels
> faster in the take of in 4th that in 3 ed , I know this doesn't seem to
> make
> allot of sense , but that's the feel I get from it .
> The motor data sheet say 2 times the toque as their 9" for the same amp
> and
> volts , this of course means 1/2 the rpm and makes 3ed gear feel like 1st
> with a 9" and 4th gear which one would never take off in with a 9" feels
> like 2ed .  I put some bigger tires on , and was smoking the tires for a
> reporter when the tranny started making a noise . I'm planning on hooking
> the motor right to the rear now.
> I took the 2k zilla out and put it in pauls 959 Porsche
> http://www.worldclassexotics.com/ which also has a 11 net gain motor . We
> went for a test drive and after a bit started smelling what at first
> smelled
> like burning insulation , motor was cool , turned out to be the clutch .
> Yes
> a 911 stock clutch will not handle the torque , not even close .
>

> > Would one motor reduce the number of contactors needed to supply
> > reverse?
> >
> could be done with  one set of reversing contactors ( 2 contactors hooked
> together )
>

> > Can a series/parallel setup still be done with 1 motor?
>
> Their 13 " motor has this for the field windings, but right now the 11
> dose
> not .  I'm running a 3.7 rear and even with some big 285 /15  it will
> still
> spin the wheels in 4th gear, but at about 70 mph the battery amp start to
> drop and it feels like its time to shift , this is where the series/
> parallel would come in so as to get more power out of the controller , or
> if
> I had a 5 th gear . If you don't have room for 2 motors ( 8's or 9's )
> than
> one 11 will let you experience the power of a 2k zilla but you will have
> deal with 2 times the toque .
>    I'd like to hear from some other 11 motor users also , are you finding
> the same things I'm seeing ?
>
> Steve Clunn   , thinking about 2 11" , :-)
>

> > Does it gain you anything?
> >
> > Sorry for all the questions;
> > Dennis

Newer trannies like the one I am using employ 3-4 control solenoids and a
dedicated transmission computer.  This gives you a lot more options and choices
for choosing newer cars with more efficient automatics.  There are shft tables
detailing the lockup torque converter and valve body control detailed in All
Data and other technical info.  My plan is to use an onboard pc to control the
shift points based on rpm.  I will report the results when the motor is in and
I do some preliminary testing.

Mark Ward
95 Saab 900SE "Saabrina"
www.saabrina.blogspot.com

---- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Could be useful for a conversion with an automatic:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4640840577

>I should point out that this system offered by electricmotorsports is for
>moped to small motorcycle use.  Not bicycle.  LR.........

That is where the confusion started: you said the systems were 90 to 200
Watt,
my guess is you meant Amps and that is a factor 50 difference.
(10 kiloWatt iso 200 Watt)

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

From: EVDL
Date: Sat May 13, 2006  11:09 am
Subject: TdS Report #20: Photos - Solaqua Sound GEM  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Send Email

TdS Report #20: Photos - Solaqua Sound GEM

Photographs from the Tour de Sol:
         http://www.AutoAuditorium.com/TdS_Reports_2006/photos_008.html

Solaqua Sound GEM

Yet another take on the idea of Sound on Wheels.

This looks like a car stereo nut's fantasy or a boomboxphobe's nightmare.

The circular disk in the center is one of those discharge displays
(is Seven-of-Nine here?)
and the rectangle is an LED light organ.

  -      -       -       -
  The complete set of Tour de Sol Reports for 2006 can be found at:
              http://www.AutoAuditorium.com/TdS_Reports_2006
  The complete set of past Tour de Sol Reports can be found at:
              http://www.FovealSystems.com/Tour_de_Sol_Reports.html
  -      -       -       -
  The above is Copyright 2006 by Michael H. Bianchi.
  Permission to copy is granted provided the entire article is presented
  without modification and this notice remains attached.
  For other arrangements, contact me at  +1-973-822-2085 .
  -      -       -       -
  For more on the NESEA Tour de Sol, see the web page at
                         http://www.TourdeSol.org
  -      -       -       -
  Official NESEA Tour de Sol information is available from the sponsor,
  the Northeast Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA) at
   413 774-6051 , and  50 Miles Street, Greenfield, MA 01301 , and
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] .  All media enquiries should be addressed to ...

                 Stef Komorowski
                 Classic Communications
                 508-698-6810

Hey All,

Just an FYI.

Be on the lookout for scammers who are selling bogus "How to build your own EV" publications on Ebay. These people are obviously trying to take advantage of the higher gas prices by selling OUR copyrighted intellectual material.

An alert EVer has informed me that someone has lifted the "Build an EV" section off the EVA/DC website and is selling it for $4.99 on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/How-To-Build-An-Electric- Car_W0QQitemZ9518340671QQcategoryZ47103QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZView Item

He found this out when he suspected the same guy stole his stuff. He's going to send me a PDF file of it so I can see what was lifted.

I guess the lesson that can be learned for this is to copyright your stuff and watermark your pictures or illustrations.

Chip Gribben
EVA/DC Webmaster
http://www.evadc.org

NEDRA Webmaster