  1) Re: Prius Taxi
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Dump Charge Current
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Be careful what you wish for..
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Fw: Vectrix
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Brushless turnkey system available
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: EV Copyright Infringement running rampant
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Fw: Vectrix
        by "Michael Neverdosky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: RAV, Insight motors, was: Vectrix
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: More Prius PHEV trip data!
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: EV Copyright Infringement running rampant
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: AC vs. DC
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: AC vs. DC
        by "Michael Neverdosky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) White Zombie terrorizes quiet hillbilly community in Idaho
        by "John Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Fw: Vectrix
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Battery Rotation Scheme
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: AC vs. DC
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Whoops. Left the charger on
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: RAV, Insight motors, was: Vectrix
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: AC vs. DC
        by "Michael Neverdosky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On 16 May 2006 at 16:20, Steven Lough wrote:

> So the gentelmen who said something about a taxi in the Rain, telling a
> potential customer he was "Out of Battery"....  is a case that would Never
> come UP..

That was with reference to a RAV4-EV taxi, not a Prius taxi.

I was asked about dump charging from a larger off-board battery pack the other day, and it started me thinking. Given a 13 battery 156 Volt (nominal) battery pack, what size pack would be the most appropriate match for a rapid dump charge? If we assume that we want the dump pack near full discharge as the EV pack reaches full charge, then something like an 18 battery 216 Volt dump pack would match. This could mean as much as a 90+ Volt difference when they are first connected, and flatten to a near zero Volt difference when full charge is reached. To my mind this sounds like ridiculously high currents at the start and barely a trickle near the end.
Mike Chancey,

Mike,

I recently played with building a dump charger for my motorcycle and what you describe is very much what my experience was. I was working with my NiCads, so I had the option of increasing the dump pack by as little as 1.2 volts at a time. I could not find a balance I was happy with for the timeframes I was hoping to get things done in. I was hoping to do a 10 - 15 minute charge time. In order to get it within 30 minutes I had to start with higher currents than what I originally planned and still found the end to slow down much to quickly. In my case I needed to get the pack all the way full, and it just did not work out. It was fun to watch the emeter run backwards quickly though.

If you only want to get a partial charge then a single battery pack can be picked fairly easy. If you want to quickly get a good fill, then I think you need to start out with a lower voltage dump pack and stop once or twice to add another battery in. Of course this part get's tricky because then your dump pack is using batteries at different states of charge.

damon

Congratulations on such good work Gadget,

once USA is under EV power, please come other the pond to materialize same
EV miracle here, would be pleased to meet you and Kimmie again :^)

cordialement,
Philippe

Et si le pot d'échappement sortait au centre du volant ?
quel carburant choisiriez-vous ?
 http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr
Forum de discussion sur les véhicules électriques
http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr/Forum/index.php

From: Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: More Prius PHEV trip data!
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 01:06:42 -0700

Here's some more trip data.
Note that these are 'blind' non-automated test runs.

5-10:I did a low speed mostly ev-only run of 12.6 miles @ 89.9mpg,
began at 248v and ended with 216v, recharged 0.88kWh from the wall.

Also did 4 high speed mixed-mode runs to/from work the next 2 days.

5-11:First trip to work was 27.8 miles @ 62.2mpg, charged at work,
began at 248v and ended with 230v, recharged 1.16kWh from the wall.

5-11:Next trip was back home 28.2 miles @ 59.7mpg, charged at home,
began at 242v and ended with 218v, recharged 1.69kWh from the wall.

5-12:Checked the packs balance in the morning (+highest+..-lowest-):
12.47..12.48..12.44..12.47.+12.50+.12.46..12.42..12.45..12.40..12.40
......-12.35-.12.48.+12.50+.12.43..12.44..12.46..12.43..12.45..12.42
5-12:Next days trip to work was 27.8 miles @ 63.3mpg, charged at work,
began at 238v and ended with 157v, recharged 3.54kWh from the wall.
.oO( So this was a very bad trip, 1.37vpc or 8.26vpbat
.oO( and put it on charge in short order.

5-12:Last trip home was 28.2 miles @ 63.8mpg, charged at home,
began at 248v and ended with 224v, recharged 2.41kWh from the wall.
5-12:Checked the packs balance before charging (+highest+..-lowest-):
11.72..11.79..11.69..11.76..11.85..11.74..11.67..11.74..11.64..11.67
......-11.49-.11.83.+11.87+.11.74..11.73..11.77..11.72..11.77..11.74

5-15:Finally, yesterday after a 5 mile demo for a Seattle Times guy.
I put 1.14kWh in at work, and another 0.74kWh at home from the wall.
The resting voltage still ended a little shy at 245v.

I've sent my CAN-View in to Norm so he can wire and test the new relay
board since I had some trouble the first time I tried to add it.  So
I'll be out of commission for a week or so till I get it back.

I suppose I could continue doing more 'blind' mixed-mode runs except
that Danika will be driving it during the week in normal HEV mode
since she has sold her old Ford Taurus.  She probably won't be using
the PHEV modes until it's fully automated...

I finally have my first tank which includes electric fuel numbers!
423.0 miles, 6.987 gallons, 25040 miles on the odometer, $22.00 for
gas, 60.54 mpg, 9.68kWh of electricity, $0.63 worth of electrons!
http://www.eaa-phev.org/wiki/PriusBlue_Mileage

L8r
 Ryan

feeback is controlled by seller BUT you can ask to ebay to close the auction
and seller account proving it is frauding people !

cordialement,
Philippe

Et si le pot d'échappement sortait au centre du volant ?
quel carburant choisiriez-vous ?
 http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr
Forum de discussion sur les véhicules électriques
http://vehiculeselectriques.free.fr/Forum/index.php

> Can't you leave feedback that is it stolen information, and a link to
> get it for free on your website?
>
> --- Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hey All,
> >
> > Just an FYI.
> >
> > Be on the lookout for scammers who are selling bogus "How to build
> > your
> > own EV" publications on Ebay. These people are obviously trying to
> > take
> > advantage of the higher gas prices by selling OUR copyrighted
> > intellectual material.
> >
> > An alert EVer has informed me that someone has lifted the "Build an
> > EV"
> > section off the EVA/DC website and is selling it for $4.99 on Ebay.
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/How-To-Build-An-Electric-
> >
> Car_W0QQitemZ9518340671QQcategoryZ47103QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZView
> >
> > Item
> >
> > He found this out when he suspected the same guy stole his stuff.
> > He's
> > going to send me a PDF file of it so I can see what was lifted.
> >
> > I guess the lesson that can be learned for this is to copyright
> > your
> > stuff and watermark your pictures or illustrations.

> http://mail.yahoo.com

I do not want to speak for Otmar,
but I believe he has offered his opinion on this on
many occasions, what I recall was that it just does not
make sense, for the following reasons:
He has standardized on a certain size of controller and
everything is tailored to this size to optimize cost.
(even a Z2k is basically two Z1k combined into one)
So the only thing that would make it feasible at this moment
would be to de-populate a Z1k to, say, 600A max.
That means leaving out about half the final stage FETs and
diodes and that is about it, not much more cost reduction can
be done because as soon as you start trimming down cooling plate,
connection bars or anything else, you (Otmar) is facing a
re-design of the Zilla mechanics.
Can be done but the limited reduction of cost does not
justify the investment that is necessary.
Besides - there are plenty alternatives for those controllers, while
the Z1k and Z2k are ruling in their territory and Otmar can hardly
keep up building them, so it is not bringing much good to create
a lower-cost higher volume product - but maybe I am wrong and
Otmar is reconsidering tis market segment....
The business case will be the crucial issue.

For now, I think you should use the Zilla feature to limit the
current, so you get what you want - no smokin' tires.