        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Three-wheel Go-cart
  3) RE: Regen-ask a Prius owner
        by "David Sharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Three-wheel Go-cart
  5) Re: Fw: Vectrix
  6) Re: Question about NIMH patent(s)
        by Aaron NMLUG-EV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: NiMH working (was Question about NIMH patent(s))
        by jerry halstead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) EV external charger
        by Aymerick SALERMO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Things that make you go Hmmm (was Re: $67K for a RAV4 EV?!)
 10) Re: AC vs. DC {getting long}
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: EV safety
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: WarP motor color, was: Welding on WarP 9 Motor Housing
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: NiMH working but Unavailable
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Motor sizes
        by Gnat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Things that make you go Hmmm (was Re: $67K for a RAV4 EV?!)
 16) RE: Regen-ask a Prius owner
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: NiMH working but Unavailable
 18) 200 miles highway range on flooded lead acid: Is it possible?
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Ken Trough wrote:
John Norton wrote:
Toyota believes that the execution of the retail program launch was very successful. A comprehensive marketing program, strong dealer support, and an enticing pricing level were keys to this success. However, sales levels were very low. As a result, no business case could be made for continuing sales of the RAV4 EV at these volumes.

Considering that they actively discourages ALL sales of this product, Toyota created exactly the sales volume that they wanted, then used the "poor numbers" as the foundation for fighting the CARB requirements in court. They put out an intentionally inferior product, and discourage the sales, then say that the technology cannot deliver the performance that the public wants and that the public doesn't want the product in any case.

Actively discouraged all sales of the product? How do you figure? The anecdotal evidence provided here is sketchy at best. We have read that every single solitary one was sold a year in advance, and we have also heard that there was a dealer with 2 on the lot that wouldn't sell them. Things that make you go hmmmm.

And the RAV4EV was an intentionally inferior product? Yet everyone says it is the holy grail of EVs! (well, that and the EV1, which is also simultaneously revered as the greatest car ever built and the result of poor engineering and understanding of electricity, similarly intentionally flawed) And, by the way - Toyota was not a party to the lawsuit against the ZEV mandate.
You are kidding yourself if you believe that market forces alone determined the fate of the RAV4EV. It was a project that was designed to meet the letter of the CARB requirements, and further was designed to be able to be killed the moment that Toyota was able to do so. They had no intention of making the product profitable.

No, market forces alone did not determine the fate. It would not have existed at all without the mandate. With the elimination of the mandate, it went away. It was never an economic proposition (on its own) in the Toyota lineup.

Before CARB was killed and before the hybrid "solution" was crafted, Toyota was saying that in order to be successful, BEV sales had to be in the millions at market introduction. I know this because I heard it myself from high ranking Toyota officials. This was given as the reason that more BEV designs were not introduced.

Interesting. CARB was "killed" in 2003. And the Prius introduction? 1997, in Japan - not California. Hit the US in 2000. Maybe all the heavy breathing stuff makes for points in your world. I like facts.

Then the first couple of hybrids were introduced and they proved that you can build a very successful and profitable product by starting with a low production level and educating the end users as to the value of the new product. The first hybrids were produced in very low numbers while the market could get "brought up to speed" so to speak.

Typical of an introduction of a new product. But think about this. The Prius sold over 6000 units in the US in 2000. Compare to the 2002 retail sales of the RAV4 EV - 300.

The very same thing could easily have been done with BEVs, though they still quote the same tired rhetoric that a product has to immediately sell in the millions of units range to be successful.

Your saying that the very same thing could have been done doesn't make it so. I have yet to hear the same tired rhetoric - except from you - about having to sell millions. Seems a silly thing to say - though I don't put it past an executive saying it - when quite obviously the Prius, with sales of 100k annually is a profitable product.
Toyota and the other automakers don't sell BEVs because they don't want to sell BEVs, not because they cannot be made a profitable success.

And yet they sell hybrids. Again, things that make you go hmmm.
Don't forget to consider the overall lifecycle of an automobile. Dealers make a LOT of money on repair and service of the very complex ICE designs. The designs are getting more and more complex, requiring more expensive repairs and greater profitability on parts and service for both the automaker and the dealers, not to mention the sheer complexity and the sheer number of parts means that there are many more opportunities to sell upgrade and aftermarket components.

BEVs on the other hand have very few components comparably and require significantly less service, maintenance and repair. Dealers do not like this and neither do manufacturers.

I am sure that there would be plenty of service requirements. Don't kid yourself, you still have wear items, and things still break. If they don't., then they have lower warranty cost.

Hmm, I've seen a number of them with a single rear axle, but the driven
wheel rides on the bearings over the axle.
In fact most of the ones I've seen have the rear axle welded to the frame.

> Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>
>> Probably 90%(perhaps more) of the go-karts (gas and electric)
>> out there only drive one of the rear wheels.
>
> I don't think this is correct.  Every go kart I've seen has a solid rear
> axle, so while there is only a single driven sproket on the rear axle,
> both rear wheels are driven.
>
> This is why go kart driving technique involves leaning in the corners;
> you want to unload one rear wheel so it can spin because both are driven
> and there is no differential.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roger.

The Prius gives an indicator in Whrs of energy returned. This may help regen
enquirers. David