  2) Re: EV Range Records
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: NiMH working but Unavailable
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Taperlock dilemma
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Regen-ask a Prius owner
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Aerodynamics .. viktor's idea .. to reduce 'drag' to near zero
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Taperlock dilemma
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: thick "primary" and "thinner wire more numerous"  windings on a  rotor
.. step up transformer effect ?
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Taperlock dilemma
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Interesting bit of RAV4 EV trivia if true
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: generator
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Ampabout, Joliet Version
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: 200 miles highway range on flooded lead acid: Is it possible?
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On 19 May 2006 at 10:43, Lee Hart wrote:

> The old nickel-iron cell (invented by Tom Edison
> around 1900) is a lot like a nimh cell.

Good point.  Chevron doesn't control nickel-iron, nor does it control nickel-
zinc.  Both may have undeveloped potential (no pun intended) for EV use.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please use evadm at drmm period net.

A specially prepared Solectria Sunrise did 375 miles on a charge during the
Tour de Sol in 1996.

In 1997, James Worden drove another Sunrise prototype from Boston to New
York (216 miles) at an average speed of 55 mph with a second passenger and
luggage onboard.

These cars were fitted with NiMH batteries - 30 kWh total energy, I believe.

On 19 May 2006 at 15:17, Mike Phillips wrote:

> > I do believe Chevron Texaco has the patent until about 2018.
>
> That just plain sucks. Unless of course you are the Chinese ;) They
> just don't care.

As long as they don't sell the products here.  They could sell them in most
of Asia.  But as soon as a US distributor picks up a Chinese vehicle with
unlicensed NiMH batteries, they'd better have a darn good legal defense
fund, because I suspect they'll get slammed.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please use evadm at drmm period net.

I disagree vehemently.  You want it to be right.  My
instinct tells me that the heat of welding might
distort this most critical piece.  I'm not  a welder,
but what if it did?  Or the metal added it made it
imbalanced?
What if you for some reason, needed to replace the
flywheel?  Now you need a new motor too!
   Get it done right, and be on the safe side.

--- Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Suppose you had a brand new shiny taperlock hub. You
> waited a long time to get it and were anxious
> to install your motor to build your EV. But there
> was a problem. The vendor drilled the holes
> wrong so you cannot bolt your clutch to the hub.
> Would there be a problem with throwing out the
> bolts and having the hub welded directly to the
> flywheel? Isn't this what Gadget recommends. I was
> planning on having the flywheel machined to lighten
> it, maybe I can find a machine shop that could
> do both procedures at the same time. It would
> probably be the fastest way to fix the problem. I'm
> not worried about the longevity of the flywheel, it
> won't be getting much abuse anymore. And I'm
> not interested in taking the time to send the hub
> back to have them do it right. I just want to
> get the car together.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave Cover

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Thanks, Cor for helping out while I was offline. I too like to press on the
accelerator just enough to stop the regen and coast as much as possible but
sometimes traffic doesn't permit it.

The 200wHr is like Cor said a typical amount of electricity used to travel a
mile in a small sedan. The Prius has been measured by some pretty accurate
methods by some pretty smart engineering type people on the Prius lists to get
around that. This is in all electric mode. I believe the EV1 actually used even
less per mile and 8 times is completely inaccurate.

The 20% is just the extra boost that you are able to utilize again so you can
go that much farther by using the regen then without it. In the Prius this
would mean that you would use that much less equivalent gasoline but in a pure
electric vehicle it would obviously be used to increase the total range.

Ideally, from an energy efficiency standpoint, one would coast with no regen
and just let the vehicle slow down under the friction, rolling resistance and
wind resistance of the vehicle and time it just right so the full stop is right
where you want it. But as we know, this is not always practical with the modern
traffic patterns and driving habits. Brakes would only then be used in
emergency situations and we would never need to use regen either.

However, if we want to make as little impact on the traffic flow as possible
then we need to *waste* that inertia either with heat through the use of brakes
or we can recover *some* of it with regen and also save on the use of brakes.

Chet

P.S. The dream to live part went right over my head, sorry. I don't recall
seeing that commercial either.

--- Michael Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK... 200wHr w/ the engine running, per mile, right? I seem to recall a
> post, just a couple hours ago, saying the EV1 took 8 times that amount to
> travel at 60. The return seems a bit high to me, but since you are pulling
> down around 70MPG, it's your dream to live.
>
> I was also stumped by the 20% regen recovery. I would assume this is 20% of
> the forward momentum? If it's 20% of the power to reach your destination,
> then perhaps this is in town where it's all stop/go? Sort of like the
> commercial where they guy is impressing his wife?

I remember a filmstrip of an old, now classic experiment, in my fluid
dynamics class. A balance scale was placed with 2  3" diameter spheres
hanging over 2 air vents connected to the arms of the scales. The
blowers were turned on and adjusted to center balance.

Then scratches were put around one of the laquered wood balls with a
tool that looked like 6 scratch alls bolted togather makeing parallel
scratches 90 degrees to the airflow.

As the air speed was increased the drag on the scratched ball got worse
and worse, but at a certain speed it suddenly reduced and the balls
changed positions. A little smoke shows how the turbulence becomes
little roller bearins at a certain speed. But it is a narrow speed range
and a lot more energy was required to get to that speed.

What I could see this leading to is maybe a porous surface that is
pressurized from within so that it leaks  through provideing a
lubricating effect.  http://aerodyn.org/Drag/additives.html

Safety is another concern. You must either have some lift or some
downforce. If you get to close to the neutral point the vehicle will
transition from one to the other and is unsafe (Porshe 911 TC at 140MPH
suddenly squats) Lift is dangerous so we must have downforce (but maybe
not if you have a 4000lb EV, hummm) downforce causes more rolling
resistance.

Incidentaly, putting the air back togather after it is seperated around
your car is just as important. At automotive speeds we get away with
truncating that tailcone if we lead up to it correctly, and it falls
back togather ok. But not if that flat back is
 large, SUV, Semi Truck, etc.

Which has greater air drag a cone flying point first or a flat bottom
first? depends on angle of cone relative to airspeed.

wikipedia has some good info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_drag

At 08:43 PM 20/05/06 -0700, Dave Cover wrote:
Suppose you had a brand new shiny taperlock hub. You waited a long time to get it and were anxious to install your motor to build your EV. But there was a problem. The vendor drilled the holes wrong so you cannot bolt your clutch to the hub. Would there be a problem with throwing out the
bolts and having the hub welded directly to the flywheel?

The answer is: that depends! If the flywheel is a grade of steel that lends itself to being welded, then great, if not, it will crack and you willhave to throw away the flywheel and hub. Gadget got away with it on his Triumph, but IIRC ran into this problem with others he tried.

I'd just send the hub you waited a millenia for back to the vendor for a refund, go to your nearest bearings-and-chain supplier and get a new taperlock body - gear, pulley or blank that has enough material in the right places to take the bolts and is otherwise sized to suit. Take it to your friendly local machinist, and for a carton of beer or three he (or she) would: 1) throw a shaft stub in their lathe and trim it to match the taperlock bore, so as to have something that is absolutely true to work from. 2) taperlock your body onto the stub and work it to be able to accurately locate the flywheel onto a shoulder, and perhaps cut a little groove at the pitch circle diameter of the bolts to help the bolt alignment. 3) release the taperlock and take the taperlock body and flywheel over to a mill or a drill press. Drill and tap the bolt holes for the flywheel (it would help if the flywheel hole clears the taperlock hub so that the assembly can be done once only).
4) return to the lathe, taperlock the hub back on and bolt the flywheel to it.
5) machine the flywheel down to the outside diameter of the clutch assembly,
6) flip the flywheel over and take some off the back as well.
7) remove it from the lathe, hand it to you and open a beer.

Regards

[Technik] James
ah ! .. good and lucid explatnation .. especially the last part
about 120 volts in parallel and 240 volts in series .. not only
do i understand the idea .. but now i am aware of the fact
that this 'idea' of two wires in the same slots of the rotors
is in fact an already existing thingy .. thank you

i also understand the logic of how the total hp remains the
same irrespective of the winding being connected in
serial or parallel mode .. and also the clear indication that
there is NO extra (over unity ?) .. to this i agree fully

the 'unanswered' part of my question :

if the two wires are thick and thin and the current is
generated in the thick wire .. which induces higher
voltage in the thinner wire .. working like a 'rotating'
transformer (both wires are in the rotor's slot, remember ?)

THEN, if current is tapped from the thin wire thru
slip rings .. will this work ?
(in other words, if the current generated in the thick
wire cannot be more than 12 volts .. but is AC .. then
can it be made into 120 volts AC to run a motor
for powering the car .. this will need 10 times more
turns of the thin wire as compared to the thick wire)

..peekay