  1) Re: thick "primary" and "thinner wire more numerous"  windings
  on a    rotor .. step up transformer effect ?
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: NiMH working but Unavailable
  3) Batteries in Metro
        by B Eskridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Batteries in Metro
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Batteries in Metro
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Taperlock dilemma
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Almost Free EV!
        by "gail donaldson lucas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Regen - as a 'brake'
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) battery suggestions
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: thick "primary" and "thinner wire more numerous"  windings on a
rotor .. step up transformer effect ?
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: NiMH working but Unavailable
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Almost Free EV!
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Regen - as a 'brake'
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) 4 electric cars from the Arcane car list.   Berkeley CA.
 15) Reminder: Mind your Letter Capitalization
        by "Edward Ang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: NiMH working but Unavailable
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: NiMH working but Unavailable
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: 4 electric cars from the Arcane car list.   Berkeley CA.
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Gadget on the news tonight
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Regen - as a 'brake'
        by "Stefan T. Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Almost Free EV!
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Deka AGM vs. Sanyo D nicad (6000 nicad cells in a drag racer)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 23) Re: Reminder: Mind your Letter Capitalization
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Taperlock dilemma
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dana Havranek)
 25) RE: Reminder: Mind your Letter Capitalization
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) French eco-race
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Oh man! left coast conversions
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) OT:  Re: Reminder: Mind your Letter Capitalization
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Almost Free EV!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 30) Re: Reminder: Mind your Letter Capitalization
        by "Peri Hartman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Here is a old one on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7416936953

Comm on one end with what looks like copper brushes and slip rings on the other end.

At 09:20 AM 5/22/2006, you wrote:
peekay wrote:
> will there be a step up from say 12 volts ac to 120 volts ac IF
> the two wires have 'turns' such that the 'other' set has 10 times more
> turns than the 'first' coil?

Yes. The turns ratio sets the voltage ratio.

> i guess we need to keep in mind that this is happening in a rotating
> thingy, the ROTOR. This theory works in static transformers. This
> is known and easy to understand ..

Yes. When you put two windings on a motor, it becomes a rotating
transformer.

> I haven't seen such a construction on rotors for stepping up voltages

As I said, it's commonly done for motors that need to run on more than
one voltage. The windings are connected in series or parallel to get
different operating voltages.

Another common use is to have a single winding with one or more taps. An
external switch can apply (say) 120vac to the entire winding, or just
part of it. This changes the volts per turn, so the motor runs at
different speeds. This is common in fans -- a switch selects slow,
medium, or fast by using 1/2, 3/4, or all the winding. (Note: since this
doesn't change the frequency, the motor operate inefficiently at
anything but full speed. But what to they care; YOU are paying the
electric bill, not the manufacturer!)

Another use is in rotary converters. They have two sets of windings,
often different voltages, each of which can be AC or DC. Rotary
converters are used to transform DC to AC, AC to DC, change the voltage
up or down, or change the frequency. A dynamotor is a DC in, DC out
rotary converter. A georotor is an AC in, AC out rotary converter that
changes the frequency (60hz in, 50hz out for example).

There is one more complication that will fool the unwary. Motors
naturally have an air gap between the stator and rotor. When two
windings are physically separated (even a small amount) and/or when
there is an air gap in the core, not all the magnetic flux produced by
one coil passes through the other coil. This creates what is called
"leakage inductance". The coils behave as if there is an extra inductor
in series with them.

Now, inductors do not let you change the current in them suddenly. They
act like flywheels, whose speed can't change instantly. If you try to
change the current instantly in an inductor, it produces a huge voltage
spike (the "inductive kick") in an effort to keep the current from
changing. The actual transformer winding's voltage is strictly
controlled by the turns ratio; but the voltage across that leakage
inductor isn't! So you can get brief voltage spikes far larger than the
turns ratio.

You can see this effect clearly in a car's ignition coil. It has an iron
core with a large air gap, and the two windings are well separated. It
has a turns ratio of about 100:1, so you would expect that switching 12v
to the primary would produce 12v x 100 = 1200v on the secondary. But the
actual secondary voltage is a brief spike of more than 25,000 volts!
This comes from the leakage inductance of those two coils.

__________
Andre' B. Clear Lake, Wi.
Hmm interesting.

Could you overcome this problem by not charging the cells all the way?

If so, then a parallel pack might work if you:
Never regen past 90% SOC
Use parallel strings and not buddy pairs, then separate the strings for
charging.

or possibly add battery regulators across individual cells (difficult) or
perhaps across small strings of cells.  Maybe 10 cells as a 12V battery
with a regulator.

> Mike Phillips wrote:
>> I think there is fear that paralleling won't work. But I see no data
>> backing up that position.
>
> I have. I did some tests myself as well. It's not hard to demonstrate
> the potential for a problem.
>
> Get two nimh cells, preferable older used ones. Charge and discharge
> each separately, so you know their capacity and have graphs of their
> voltage vs. current charging curve. New cells are virtually identical;
> used ones are a bit different.
>
> You'll see that each cell's voltage is relatively flat and rises quite
> slowly until it gets near full charge. Then its voltage climbs more
> steeply, reaches a peak, and then starts to fall again as the cell goes
> into overcharge. A lot like nicads, but the peak and drop are less
> pronounced.
>
> Now put them in parallel and charge them. You'll see that the peaking
> mostly goes away, unless the two cells just happen to reach "full" at
> the same time. New, well-matched ones will; old ones won't.
>
> The voltage of whichever cell reaches full first will start to fall, its
> current starts to increase, and it starts getting hot. It hogs the
> current, so the second cell stops charging somewhat short of full. If
> allowed to proceed (i.e. your charger was looking for a voltage peak
> that never occurred), one cell get very hot, the other stay cool, and
> the cells get seriously out of balancer. The overcharging of the hot
> cell also causes its early demise.
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Hello,

  I am considering converting a Metro 3 Dr.  to an EV for commuting and fun.

  In practice how many batteries is it possible to get under the hood at the
front?  I am specifically thinking of theTrojan 105 series.

  Thanks!

If you the Metro is between 1989 and 1999, you might want to consider this
kit from Can EV.  He gets 5 batteries under the hood, and 7 underneath the
read seat:  http://www.canev.com/KitsComp/GeoKit/Geo-Kit.html

  I am considering converting a Metro 3 Dr.  to an EV for commuting and fun.

  In practice how many batteries is it possible to get under the hood at the
front?  I am specifically thinking of theTrojan 105 series.

  Thanks!

Uh, let's try that again:  under the "rear" seat, I meant.

If you the Metro is between 1989 and 1999, you might want to consider this
kit from Can EV.  He gets 5 batteries under the hood, and 7 underneath the
read seat:  http://www.canev.com/KitsComp/GeoKit/Geo-Kit.html

  I am considering converting a Metro 3 Dr.  to an EV for commuting and fun.

  In practice how many batteries is it possible to get under the hood at the
front?  I am specifically thinking of theTrojan 105 series.

  Thanks!

Dave Cover wrote:
Suppose you had a brand new shiny taperlock hub. You waited a long time to get
it and were anxious
to install your motor to build your EV. But there was a problem. The vendor
drilled the holes
wrong so you cannot bolt your clutch to the hub.

If this is _truly_ the vendor's mistake, take it back. It's tantamount to your vendor providing you with the wrong part. You shouldn't compromise you conversion because of someone else's screw-up.

 Would there be a problem with throwing out the
bolts and having the hub welded directly to the flywheel? Isn't this what
Gadget recommends. I was
planning on having the flywheel machined to lighten it, maybe I can find a
machine shop that could
do both procedures at the same time. It would probably be the fastest way to
fix the problem. I'm
not worried about the longevity of the flywheel, it won't be getting much abuse
anymore. And I'm
not interested in taking the time to send the hub back to have them do it
right. I just want to
get the car together.

Thanks

Dave Cover

There may be an interested party here in Las Vegas. Is there a phone number
one could call for more information and possibly make arrangements to get
the car if they can find a way?

Thanks,
Gail

sounds very right .. down hill .. i guess even on plain roads
this 'braking' feeling sounds nice .. free wheeling, gliding is
just not the 'usual' feeling

..peekay

From: "Lawrence Rhodes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Date:  5/14/06 6:41:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Cameron)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 Philippe, I looked on EVAlbum - do you have any further information on this
 racer?  I have looed on EVAlbum, Nedra and googled this without much luck.

 Don

From: Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Thanks for your replies, your input is appreciated.
>
> First let me explain what probably went wrong. My flywheel bolts to the
> crankshaft with nine
> bolts. AND an indexing dowel pin. This indexing dowel pins shifts the
> location
> of at least one
> bolt by about 3/32 of an inch. Enough so that at least bolt will never fit. I
> would bet dollars to
> doughnuts that whoever made the hub saw the nine bolt holes and missed the
> dowel
> hole. They just
> spaced the nine holes evenly around the hub.
>
> I think, after considering the options, I'm going to try and find a good shop
> and weld the
> flywheel to the hub. For a couple of reasons.
>
> 1. I'm very patient, but my patience is wearing thin. I've been planning and
> amassing EV
> components for over a year. I originally planned on doing my conversion last
> Spring.  Now that
> I've finally gotten going, I'm looking for an expeditious solution. No more
> long
> distance
> relationships, I'm finding local talent to get the job done.
>
> 2. The taperlock hub I have is VERY nice. If I send it back, it may never get
> used. It was made to
> fit my flywheel and I doubt there is another with the matching bolt pattern.
> It'd be a shame to
> waste such a nice peice of work.
>
> 3. I like the idea of welding the unit on and was planning on having the
> flywheel machined anyway.
> A good welder and machine shop should be able to handle the job.
>
> 4. I have absolutely no interest in going back and forth with the vendor to
> get
> some satisfaction.
> I just want to build my EV. Everything else I got was done well and the fit
> and
> finish is top
> notch. It's just that one hole is out of position.
>
> In writing this email, I thought of one more possibility. How about grinding
> that one flywheel
> hole a little bigger so it lines up with the hub? It's not much material.
> It's
> only an inch off
> the center of rotation. Would a couple of grams of metal that close to the
> center cause an
> imbalance?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave Cover

As long as you use spell check before sending your postings.

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

Just a reminder to use correct capitalization when writing.  If you want
anyone to take you seriously, you first have to take your posts seriously.

I personally would not read posts in all small letters.  It is not only hard
to read, it causes a lot of pain to read.  If the poster doesn't even
borther to use the shift key, why would I bother to read?  I am sure many on
this forum also receive tons of posts from many other forums.  Please at
least try to do whatever you could to help reading easier.

Thank you.

--
Edward Ang
AIR Lab

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Funky shaped "cars"- if you want to call these vehicles that- got up to 6,786 mpg, but did not break the 9,023 mpg record. http://news.com.com/2100-11389_3-6075058.html?part=rss&tag=6075058&subj=news <http://news.com.com/2100-11389_3-6075058.html?part=rss&tag=6075058&subj=news>

I'm astounded.  That's some pretty aerodynamic stuff!

WOW! the segment was LONG...That was better than a
commercial. We would like them to play the story
again. Consumer interest is what drives the stories.
They track the number of hits a story gets so help us
by going to abc7.com and scroll down to the "consumer"
links and then go to "going from gas to electric".
click the link to get to the story. To the right of
the story is a link to Left Coast Conversions. Every
click is a vote for electrics.

Thanks

Ken wrote:

In my opinion, you might want to consider adjusting your thinking or you may be ignoring a significant portion of the populace that will soon be a majority of those online (if they are not already).

Sorry Ken. I don't buy it. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. If you are going to have your name attached to a post forever in an archive, you might want to be sure it is worthy of archiving at all. I doubt any professors would accept a term paper in all lowercase. How about an all lowercase resume? Despite the prevalence of text messaging and other such abbreviated forms of communication, proper writing skills, sentence structure, and vocabulary are still important. You might also want to keep in mind that many folks reading the EVDL or the archives may not be native English speakers. Continuous run-on sentences do not translate well.

If anyone submits an entry to the Album in all lowercase or all caps, it simply will never get approved, ever. Spelling errors I try to locate and correct but that is it.

On the EV Tradin' Post I usually retype any incorrect entries. In that case it is usually folks who seem less familiar with the Internet and submit ads in all caps.

Thanks,

Mike Chancey,
'88 Civic EV
Kansas City, Missouri
EV Photo Album at: http://evalbum.com
My Electric Car at: http://www.geocities.com/electric_honda
Mid-America EAA chapter at: http://maeaa.org
Join the EV List at: http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html

In medio stat virtus - Virtue is in the moderate, not the extreme position. (Horace)
In a message dated 5/21/2006 11:33:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Hello again all.
I must say I am overwhelmed by the responses!
I am really pressed for time tonight, so I'll do this: Tomorrow morning I
will send an email to everyone who responded with pictures attached.
Incidentally, Peter V hit the nail on the head, the controller is a  chopper,
and makes interesting noises, way louder than a Curtis.
This thing was happy at 65 on the freeway on 120V of GC batts, never got  any
range data tho...
I did like the $500 bid, Shawn; are you locted anywhere  nearby? I'm in Chula
Vista CA, zip 91913.
Thanks for all the inquiries, and the pic's will be sent before 9 am
tomorrow.
Ben

[...]

--- Begin Message --- People will write how they will. But, let the writer beware. I will struggle through a poorly written posting if the information is important to me, though I might be cursing the writer :)

If the posting is not so important or perhaps redundant and it's hard to read, I'll just skip on to the next message. I suspect a lot of people do this.

"Poorly written" can mean a lot of different things. I'll leave the interpretation to each own.

So, if you want your posting to be read, put in an extra 10% to make it enticing.

Peri Hartman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Chancey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>