  1) Re: Massive Madness - Buick Electra Conversion?
        by "Dave Davidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Saw a movie & the trailers showed a Hypermini & Who killed the electric
car.
  3) Re: Another way to get isolated DC-DC....
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Another way to get isolated DC-DC....
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Question about NIMH patent(s)
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Question concerning PHEV vs. EV
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) watthour meter AC side
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) Re: watthour meter AC side
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Washington Post Insult to Injury
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: CA DMV
        by "Grigg. John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Another way to get isolated DC-DC....
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Another way to get isolated DC-DC....
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Power of DC Dissed by the Washington Post
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Massive Madness - Buick Electra Conversion?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Another way to get isolated DC-DC....
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Another way to get isolated DC-DC....
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Another way to get isolated DC-DC....
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Making a battery
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Question about NIMH patent(s)
        by "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Question about NIMH patent(s)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Question about NIMH patent(s)
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Another way to get isolated DC-DC....
        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Rookie Needs Advice
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: Another way to get isolated DC-DC....
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Massive Madness - Buick Electra Conversion?
        by "OPS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: Question concerning PHEV vs. EV
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---

----Original Message Follows----
From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

It would be more work, but I'm sure it could be done. One advantage of
these older "land yachts" is that they tended to overbuild things
because they didn't have the computer-aided design to cut things close
to the bone. Also, the brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, etc. were
simpler -- it would be easier to swap them for higher-strength truck
parts. Think of Roland Weinch's 2.5-ton El Camino.

Batteries are heavy, but they don't actually take up many cubic feet.
The 30 T-145s you suggested are only 30 x (7" x 10" x 11") = 13.5 cubic
feet. These old cars easily had that much room in the trunk and under
the hood.

My guess is that you'd build a real frame to put underneath, and use
truck parts for the suspension, brakes, and wheels.

These old cars were already body on frame construction, so should be able to support a lot of battery weight with some suspension upgrades. I think American Motors was the only US company to use "unibody" construction at that time. I know my 63 Chevy was body on frame, and I don't believe it was all that heavy, either (less than 4000 lbs). The transition away from body on frame construction for cars came about with the adoption of front wheel drive. They suddenly started looking for ways to shed weight.

I believe even the smaller cars at that time were body on frame (Valiant/Dart, Falcon, Chevy II), but it's been so long since I've seen one I'm no longer sure.

Dave Davidson

Saw a movie the other day & the Who Killed the
Electric Car trailer was there & a trailer for a New Movie With Woodie Allen shows Woodie Driving a Hypermini in an outragious way. LR.....
Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
Vegetable Oil Car.
415-821-3519

I'm assuming the blown fet is the charger fets, yes? Shorting to the
gate and smoking everything attached to the gate? Gee, I've never seen
that happen ;)

Maybe we should hook up an opto and fet combo or something similar to
gate of the charger fets so when they fry there is some isolation to
the main board. These main boards die ugly deaths. In all of my motor
control rebuilding experience I have yet to see someone isolate the
control circuitry from the gate of the fet, in the event of a failure.
It just cannot be that difficult.

As I recall the wiring going from the main board to the charger gates
could be intercepted and then updated with a tiny pcb with these
isolation parts.

Mike

Mike Phillips wrote:
I'm assuming the blown fet is the charger fets, yes? Shorting to the
gate and smoking everything attached to the gate? Gee, I've never seen
that happen ;)

Yes, and it gets worse.

When this happens, and you're plugged into 220, you now have an interesting problem. There is 220 volts on the gate, but how oh how does that matter? All of the dolphin internal power supplies are isolated due to that neat-o 300 volt to 5,15,-5,-15 thingie.

Answer: Well sorta.

Basically the +15 is used by some of the telemetry circuits. And one of these is look for ground faults. So one end of +15 is grounded to the case.

Which is grounded to the frame, which is grounded to the neutral wire which will happliy carry 110 volts since ground is bonded to neutral in your friendly breaker box in your house. Thus you now have one leg (110 volts) roaring thru your Dolphin's +15 like a concrete elephant.

Life is like that.

Maybe we should hook up an opto and fet combo or something similar to
gate of the charger fets so when they fry there is some isolation to
the main board. These main boards die ugly deaths. In all of my motor
control rebuilding experience I have yet to see someone isolate the
control circuitry from the gate of the fet, in the event of a failure.
It just cannot be that difficult.

Oh I fixed one. That's what blew up my truck in the first place. New +15 supply, new FETs, 1 ohm resistors, fet driver and the like will make it very happy again.

As I recall the wiring going from the main board to the charger gates
could be intercepted and then updated with a tiny pcb with these
isolation parts.

Sure. Just splice it in the wires. A pair of .1a fuses would probably do the trick.

Now, where you *really* need isolation to be honest is in that loop circuit that goes outside the dolphin to find open 300 volt sources. It's on pins EE and FF. If that shorts to car ground apparently it blows half the dolphin up. And we all know that would never happen.

Danny Miller wrote:

First question, just what do you want to do here?

As discussed, the +15 power supply (one of 4 in a Dolphin) was blown to bits due to a MOSFET failure. That's why it never ran. I can bypass

this
and get the truck to run, but I'd like something that can run off pack power or isolated 12 volt power from the battery system.

The second +12 supply is for the e-meter. Xantrex in their wisdom set the thing up so it's - is tied to pack negative. Thus unless you do not want the mother of all ground faults you need to either tap the

traction
pack (a disaster in any way) or hook it up via an isolated DC-DC to +12.

Both of these need less than an amp of current capacity.

--- Begin Message --- When you say "murder", I assume you mean prematurely destroy for lack of maintenance or something else....seems like a no maintenance nilar battery would be just the ticket....

Mike

From: "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Question about NIMH patent(s)
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 10:54:32 -0400

On 5 Jun 2006 at 3:29, Michael Mohlere wrote:

> Exactly where can you purchase these nilar batteries? Has anyone used them? I'm
> starting on my first EV, and am considering using same ...

For your first EV, I strongly advise using golf car batteries.  Beginners
tend to murder their first (and sometimes second and third) packs, so you
don't want the first one to be an expensive one.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please use evadm at drmm period net.

On Jun 4, 2006, at 12:01 PM, Steve Powers wrote:

I have been reading (only a little though) about the PHEV conversions. My understanding is that they are limited to about 34 MPH / 40 miles in all electric mode. Has anyone attempted to put a secondary (larger) electric motor on one of these cars?

The Prius (and those speeds seem to indicate we are talking about the Prius) needs to have the ICE turning if you go faster. There are 2 electric motors in the front drive and one will over-rev if you go faster without spinning the ICE (even if you put the Prius in neutral.)
Does anyone recomend an AC side WattHour Meter?

I am specifically looking for something that I can mount on the car so I
can accurately track input power wherever I charge.

There must be something panel mount, but no catalogs nor websites turn
anything up.

Thanks for any leads.

Ben

I picked up both a 120vac model and a 240vac model from Ebay.

The 120vac model is common. Kill A Watt is the brand name. Lots of
vendors selling it on EBay.

The 240vac model is a UK version. I was just going to adapt it to US
240vac. Here is the Ebay number 7626684873.

I've only tested the 120vac model. It works fine. The 240vac model
still needs the adapters made.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Does anyone recomend an AC side WattHour Meter?
>
> I am specifically looking for something that I can mount on the car so I
> can accurately track input power wherever I charge.
>
> There must be something panel mount, but no catalogs nor websites turn
> anything up.
>
> Thanks for any leads.
>
> Ben

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I found out why Washington Post Reporter Anita Hunley decided not to go with doing a story on our EV drag race.

She did a Hummer article instead for crying out loud! Arggghhhh, it is a conspiracy!

Last week she interviewed me about the Power of DC but wasn't sure if they would run it.

Look in today's style section and you will see the article she did on a woman who drives a Hummer.

I sent her a polite message, but after teasing her for doing an article on the Hummer I doubt she will consider us again. Oh well. The way I figure it. They never covered the race in 6 years anyway.

The thing is she is the one who contacted me. I never sent the Post anything on the race. But she never responded back to any additional information I sent her about the race or doing the story after the interview. So that was a bit rude then to see this article is an insult to injury.

Chip

It's finally registered!

I pulled up to the Ref Station, a guy walked up, and I explained my
situation.  He says let see under the hood. I opened it. He immediately
says "Cooool, It's Electric!".  He starts to walk away.  I said is there
anything else you would like to do and he says, "Why, It has no
tailpipe!".  Man that guy is cool!!!  He did some paperwork and I was
off to the DMV to pay registration.  What an awesome day!!! I guess I
have that "grin" now everybody talks about... :-)

Thanks
John Grigg
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/723

>From: Jeff Shanab

>I am almost done with this. They had given me the same pamplet, when I
called the air resources board I found a guy on the other end of the
line that had an EV rabbit once, he was very nice supportive and
helpful.

>I am in Fresno county, don't know if that makes a difference, but I
went to referee and got the engine code changed to G, they actaully had
me bring it in early so it could be showed to the vocational class that
was there. the G code is the same as the hybrids here and exempts me
from having to smog again. I must of asked 10 times but "g" it was.

>Then I went to the DMV where they verified the VIN. This should of been
done before the referee trip, I got lucky and the guy was willing to
sign me off "pending" (Of course I new him by now. I had a motor change
on my ICE that had to go back to him so I had 2 referee apointments on
the same day.)

>I got plates and tags, but they will not give me my personalized plate
that I payed for over a year ago until they finalize everything, they
made me sent my original reciepts to sacremento. I didn't like that,
espicially since they already have made me go back to the DMV for the
VIN verificaion again, they lost it.

>The good part was that the car was a real hit with the personel at the
DMV, Allow extra time when you go back!
COUNTY OF SACRAMENTO EMAIL DISCLAIMER:
This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and
privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review,
copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by other
than the County of Sacramento or the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately
and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any
attachments thereto.

Christopher Zach wrote:
> What I worry about here is capacitor ability. My charger can run up
> to 400 volts on charge, and if a laptop power supply can't handle a
> 400 volt surge we will have a mess.

An inexpensive power supply meant to run on 240vac will have 400v rated
capacitors, diodes, and transistors. This is just barely enough for the
peak of a 10% high line voltage. I'd say that isn't enough safety margin
in your situation.

Christopher Zach wrote:

> Danny Miller wrote:
> > First question, just what do you want to do here?
>
> As discussed, the +15 power supply (one of 4 in a Dolphin) was blown to
> bits due to a MOSFET failure. That's why it never ran. I can bypass this
> and get the truck to run, but I'd like something that can run off pack
> power or isolated 12 volt power from the battery system.
>
> The second +12 supply is for the e-meter. Xantrex in their wisdom set
> the thing up so it's - is tied to pack negative. Thus unless you do not
> want the mother of all ground faults you need to either tap the traction
> pack (a disaster in any way) or hook it up via an isolated DC-DC to +12.
>
> Both of these need less than an amp of current capacity.

Since you need two, and they are both low power, why not use two
"universal input" switching supplies, and wire each across half the
pack? By loading them roughly equally, they will load each half-pack
equally and it will stay in balance.

--- Begin Message --- A couple weeks ago Anita Huslin, a reporter from the Post's Style section, called about the NEDRA Power of DC race. I hadn't sent out a press release to the Post because they are generally unfriendly to EVs. So this call was out completely out of the blue.

Anyway, she interviewed me for an hour and I was telling her all about the cool EVs we would have like Matt Grahams 13 second Nissan, Darin Gilbert's bike, Robert Salem's Rabbit truck, SEVO's Orange Crush and the Great Mills High School MR2 and Mustang . . . . and more. I mentioned that the Discovery Channel did a great piece on last year's race and she said she would check that out and see if her editor would run the story.

After a week I hear nothing and during this time I'm paging through the Post seeing if she's written anything. And I see absolutely nothing she's written after our conversation. She never gets back to me either way.

Then today, a day after the race I see a front page story in the Style section that Anita has written about a WOMAN WHO DRIVES A HUMMER TO WORK. Color photos, two pages. The works.

Ohh the humanity!!

Chip Gribben
NEDRA Power of DC
http://www.powerofdc.com

Dave Davidson wrote:
> These old cars were already body on frame construction, so should be
> able to support a lot of battery weight with some suspension upgrades.
> I think American Motors was the only US company to use "unibody"
> construction at that time.  I know my 63 Chevy was body on frame...

I don't think that is quite the case. I had a 1961 Corvair, and my
family had a 1962 Chevy Impala; both were unibodies. But my cousin had a
1957 Chevy, and it *did* have a separate frame. So somewhere in between
is where Chevrolet made the change to unibodies.

What may be confusing you is that the transistion from full frame to
full unibody was rather gradual. At first, the frame was completely
separate: You could remove bolts and the entire body came off; and the
remaining frame was still a drivable car. Then they went to a subframe;
a bolt-in section that held just the engine and front suspension. Then
the body got welded to the frame, and the frame made of thinner material
since the sheet metal body stiffened it. Over time this has continued to
evolve until no "frame" per se existed at all.

My '61 Corvair and '62 Chevy were both unibodies with subframes.

Fuses are easy, but since we can never buy these boards some kind of
isolation is my goal.

I'm not sure where the 300v loop is you are refering to. But I'm sure
I will ;)

Mike

Mike Phillips wrote:
> Maybe we should hook up an opto and fet combo or something similar to
> gate of the charger fets so when they fry there is some isolation to
> the main board. These main boards die ugly deaths. In all of my motor
> control rebuilding experience I have yet to see someone isolate the
> control circuitry from the gate of the fet, in the event of a failure.
> It just cannot be that difficult.

No, it's not difficult. But it adds cost. Most products are optimized
for minimum cost, and aren't built to be repaired. Thus the lack of
parts that would mitigate damages if/when a failure occurs.

Lee,

Any idea of a fet gate isolation circuit? These main boards for our
USE vehilces are no longer available and the traces & substrate die
with great ease.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Christopher Zach wrote:
> >
> > Danny Miller wrote:
> > > First question, just what do you want to do here?
> >
> > As discussed, the +15 power supply (one of 4 in a Dolphin) was
blown to
> > bits due to a MOSFET failure. That's why it never ran. I can
bypass this
> > and get the truck to run, but I'd like something that can run off pack
> > power or isolated 12 volt power from the battery system.
> >
> > The second +12 supply is for the e-meter. Xantrex in their wisdom set
> > the thing up so it's - is tied to pack negative. Thus unless you
do not
> > want the mother of all ground faults you need to either tap the
traction
> > pack (a disaster in any way) or hook it up via an isolated DC-DC
to +12.

> > Both of these need less than an amp of current capacity.
>
> Since you need two, and they are both low power, why not use two
> "universal input" switching supplies, and wire each across half the
> pack? By loading them roughly equally, they will load each half-pack
> equally and it will stay in balance.
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Is it that hard to make a battery? Say a 100ah Nimh cell. Anyone ever
tried? Anyone ever cut one open? With battery cost on the increase, I
am exploring making them.

Mike

Here's to the crazy ones.
The misfits.
The rebels.
The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.
The ones who see things differently
The ones that change the world!!

www.RotorDesign.com

> When you say "murder", I assume you mean prematurely destroy for lack of
> maintenance or something else....seems like a no maintenance nilar battery
> would be just the ticket....
>
> Mike

Trust me, Mike. Newbies can murder any brand, type or formula of
battery... as in letting out the smoke. There is *no* idiot proof
charging/discharging system. (Maintenance free doesn't mean idiot proof...
as proven by me.)

Michael Mohlere wrote:
> When you say "murder", I assume you mean prematurely destroy for lack of
> maintenance or something else...

> seems like a no maintenance nilar battery would be just the ticket...

What he means is that 9 out of 10 first-time EVers destroy their first
battery pack due to ignorance, abuse, or negligence.

There is a *lot* of bad advice circulating about batteries. People who
have never actually tested any battery or made any measurements still
seem to have strong opinions. People listen to such advice, and ruin
their batteries.

> seems like a no maintenance nilar battery would be just the ticket...

The trouble is, no one's ever heard of Nilar before. It's much easier to
make a good website than a good battery. It's easier to fake your
pictures and invent test data than to do actual life testing.

So, almost all battery manufacturers a) aren't really manufacturers --
they buy stuff from someone else and put their name on it, and b)
haven't done anything more than cursory testing -- most of the data is
made up or extrapolated.

Lee -

Thanks for the info - it sounds like perhaps NO ONE has used these batteries in an EV before....can anyone provide some real world "I used this in my EV" data/testimony??

Thx, Mike

From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 14:50:36 -0500

Michael Mohlere wrote:
> When you say "murder", I assume you mean prematurely destroy for lack of
> maintenance or something else...

> seems like a no maintenance nilar battery would be just the ticket...

What he means is that 9 out of 10 first-time EVers destroy their first
battery pack due to ignorance, abuse, or negligence.

There is a *lot* of bad advice circulating about batteries. People who
have never actually tested any battery or made any measurements still
seem to have strong opinions. People listen to such advice, and ruin
their batteries.

> seems like a no maintenance nilar battery would be just the ticket...

The trouble is, no one's ever heard of Nilar before. It's much easier to
make a good website than a good battery. It's easier to fake your
pictures and invent test data than to do actual life testing.

So, almost all battery manufacturers a) aren't really manufacturers --
they buy stuff from someone else and put their name on it, and b)
haven't done anything more than cursory testing -- most of the data is
made up or extrapolated.

Ahem.  I believe that, properly stated, that would be a kluge (rhymes with
huge) not a kludge (rhymes with fudge.)
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/K/kluge.html

  Etymologically yours,

Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Chris,

That is a Kludge. You can do this simpler and cheaper.

You only need to scrounge for a supply from a dead laptop,
mostly these are (almost) free.
At work we have a large carton box full of switching power supplies
from various sources. Forgotten, redundant or broken electronics
leave a heap of power supplies behind.

I plug my laptop supply straight into my pack (312V nominal) since
the supply is a switcher for 100-240V AC and works fine on my pack's
DC input. It supplies 20V 4.5A to my laptop, but there are many
variants of supplies that will give you anything and certainly 12
and 15V are standard voltages.
Good thing of the switcher is that it will draw very little
current when unloaded, in contrast to the inverter + cheap transformer.

BTW - this will only work if you have this power supply active during
charging AND driving, as your 12V loads will be much larger than the
3 to 5A that laptop supplies deliver.
You could either find a heavier switching power supply (30A or so) or
accept the gradual discharge while driving...

Success getting your DC/DC to work, as you may know my truck is
currently sitting in my garage with a broken DC/DC as well, but
since I am travelling the entire month with only overnights at home
and time to repack for a next trip, I have no time to fix it until July...

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225 VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675 eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further http://www.proxim.com