  1) Re: Zilla Z1K - Best Choice?
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Need Advice -- Gel pack rejuvenation plan
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Zilla Z1K - Best Choice?
  4) Re: Zilla Z1K - Best Choice?
  5) Re: Nilars, etc...
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) FW: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Zilla Z1K - Best Choice?Trains trolleys and Curti.
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Zilla Z1K - Best Choice Rambler?
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Zilla Z1K - Best Choice?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Zilla Z1K - Best Choice?
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Zilla Z1K - Best Choice Rambler?
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: PIC programing (was) LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Need Advice -- Gel pack rejuvenation plan
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Three questions (was: Announcement of new NEDRA Voltage  Divi
        sions)
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Zilla Z1K - Best Choice Rambler?
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Zilla Z1K - Best Choice Rambler?
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Electric/EV basic knowledge
        by Patrick Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Alan Geenspan breifing US senate commitee on EVs
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Mueller, Craig M" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Zilla Z1K - Best Choice?
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 19:04:58 -0500

I just had a Curtis 1221B-7401 bite the dust (caps dried out?), and am
looking to increase voltage from 120V to 144-160V (20 8V). I hear that
the Curtis 1231 controller makes an audible sound, and there are no
control features similar to the Zilla... Opinion time: Zilla owners - is
it worth the $$ - esp if your goal is good performance *and* battery
life. Curtis owners: Is there really a 'whine', or has the problem been
solved?

Thanks,

Craig

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Mohlere" <
I would love to break some new ground with my EV project
(perhaps by using the nilars) - it's just my nature!!!

At this time almost any project done with the standard parts , will for most be ground braking . You don't have to do it all on your first Ev , getting your first on the road as fast as possible so you can find out all the funny details about EV's that right now you haven't yet experienced. As a gas car driver your driving skills have little to do with your mileage , but with an Ev how you drive , can make as much of a difference that what kind of batteries your using .

Many thanks for your
input - I think this list is AWESOME, and Steve Clunn is an absolute captain of the cause,
And as soon as your driving your car around , there will be people asking you questions , and wanting your help , I may be wrong , but their's a good chance you'll have that EV grin going on . Ya the one where you walk around with the big smile that makes your face ach for days .

as he has put up w/ every question that I have had so far.

As I have done the car your thinking of , its no big deal , and like most on the list , nothing makes me happier than to see another Ev on the road .
really wish to have an EV that people can "ooh and ahh" over from a performance standpoint, which I believe will go a long way to advancing/promoting the cause.

I was oohing and ahhhing a reporter with some tire smoking burn outs with my EV race truck , when my tranny started making a new sound , but I built it for that so I'll deal with it , with my EV work truck I drive it nice and easy all the time , cus I got to get to work all the time . I would make your first EV , one that just gets the job down., a 1k 300v zilla with orbitals or 156v with golf cart batteries and 9 impulse would give some tire smoking ooh's but a 2k zilla would be hard on that small terecell tranny for sure.
Steve Clunn . deck hand

Anyone know of any EVers in my neck of the woods (Huntsville, AL)????

Thx, Mike

I just ordered a replacement meter movement for the MFJ-817 from MFJ
Enterprises  http://www.mfjenterprises.com.  Its a 3" panel meter and is
$21.95 + 9$ Shippng.  I couldn't find a real dual movement "cross-needle"
automotive meter but I'll keep looking.  This one will do fine in the
meantime.

Mike
Anchorage, Ak.
From: Lee Hart
Peter Shabino wrote:

> Now this one sounds like it could be a winner... any ideas on how / where to
> get the materials?

There are a bunch of 50-year-old aircraft instruments that had this sort
of dual meter -- compasses, artificial horizons, navigation, etc. Some
were true meters, others had servo motors to drive them, etc. All were
masterpieces of workmanship.

--- Begin Message --- Basic stamps are easy to use but expensive and come in limited configurations. (got one or two have not used them in quite a while)

Pic16* series are relatively easy to use and cheep. They do have 8 pin micros with internal clock generators available. Check out www.microchip.com for more details on available parts.

As for programming PIC16* assembly is easy. Sort of a stripped down basic. The full instruction set is available at http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/31029a.pdf. There are only 35 instruction total. You can grab MPLAB IDE for free off their web page that will allow you to compile and simulate(simple sims) assembly programs. The only difficult item working in assembly vs basic is you have to watch your variables. The assembler will not assign memory on the fly (or at least I don't think it can. Have been at this for 10 years now and when I started it did not have it and have not looked into it since). So you have to define where each variable is stored in memory. I have a bunch of PIC asm code floating around so If you need a sample program to work from (They really do help when your starting out) let me know and I fire one off to you.

Later,
Wire

From: "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Jeff Shanab <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 14:26:13 -0000

Being able to install a lookup table etc would make my EV life easier.
I only know ancient BASIC. So then I have to try and tackle C to get
into uP's? I know there is the basic stamp, but I need something small
like in an 8 pin DIP that I can learn to program. Is there a Pic or
Atmel guide for pack smokin' Ultra Dummy's?

A small uP would allow me to make a very adjustable and communicative
bms as well as a monitoring system. Not to mention thermal fan hardware.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On a side note about using PIC micro's There are loads of free
> simulators, free software, and low cost build it yourself programmers
> for PIC.
>
> One of the PIC books I got(mike or mark predo, ok but not great author)
> comes with a board that you populate and links to free software, but I
> found better software.
>
> windows :
>
> http://www.oshonsoft.com/
>
> this software is great for the price.
>

> linux :  gpsim : http://www.dattalo.com/gnupic/gpsim.html
>
> C programming the PIC : http://www.yty.net/pic/
> yapide : http://www.mtoussaint.de/yapide.html
>
> the list goes on, something about PIC microcontrollers fits with the
> linux crowd.

Hi Meta Bus,

Do not charge them buddy paired, as you have no clue
which of the two is taking charge (and I have seen
several people find out when it was too late that the
strongest battery takes ALL the charge, so you end up
with one still dead and the other venting away)
If you have the time & equipment then charge them
one at a time (12V) with an ordinary car battery charger.

This will tell you if each comes back or not.
You may need to start with a bench supply set to 18-20V, 1A limit
if the battery is really dead and does not take a charge, to
"break through" the phase where the electrolyte is mainly
plain distilled water....

Success,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

[...]

Boosting the battery voltage is exactly what the newer Prius (2004+)
are doing: battery is 200V, motor controller is taking 500V DC or
thereabouts.
I am not suggesting that Prius are racing material, just to say that
it is not an uncommon situation.
NEDRA will need to define _where_ and _how_ to measure the voltage.
If it's the batteries nominal voltage spec as in 2V per lead acid cell
and 1.2 V per NiCd cell, etc., then all that is needed is to publish
a list of battery chemistries and voltage per cell that is counted,
then everyone can figure out the nr of series connected cells and
determine their class.

If you want to determine the class from max motor voltage then there
is no need to have 12V steps, as motor voltage max will depend on a
lot of things: AC or DC (RMS voltage on the AC output as the reference?)
and the max PWM output times the peak voltage or just the peak voltage
for DC drive? and so on....

BTW - we hear frequently about motor series/parallelling.
How is a car classified that does battery series/parallel switching?
Is it the highest voltage that can be reached when series switching?

At some point in time it may be beneficial to distinguish classes
between "lead" and "advance chemistries" instead of lumping them
together, but I'll leave it to someone else to determine if we want
a class per chemistry or just keep one class and allow everyone to
choose according budget and performance of chemistries.

Regards,