  1) Re: How Hot Does a Terminal Get? Not very, it shouldn't!
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Advice for FIL: NEV, Hybrid, or...?
        by Patrick Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Joe Vitek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Nilar batts, an' Good Stuff.
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Zilla Z1K - Best Choice?
  6) EAA Cookout
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Does any one have "Lic. Plate Envy ?"
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Ford Chargers Available
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Electric/EV basic knowledge
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Percent Difference
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Electric/EV basic knowledge
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) curtis 1231
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Re: Percent Difference
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Alan Geenspan breifing US senate commitee on EVs
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 16) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Electric/EV basic knowledge
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Need Advice -- Gel pack rejuvenation plan
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Percent Difference
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Extending range
        by Seppo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Does any one have "Lic. Plate Envy ?"
        by "EVDave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Pic stuff (was) LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
        by "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Danny Miller <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:07:56 -0000

Soldering SMT is my forte. C is not. I've seen several small 8 pin
uP's make a small project work well. I thought for sure PIC would have
some too.

Every time I look a C I just don't get it.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Microchip has a great...  and I mean great... free IDE for their
> compiler/assembler/programmer/simulator/debugger.   It'd be crazy to
> mess around with third party stuff.
>
> Writing C isn't hard at all.  And it's pretty powerful.
>
> There aren't a lot of 8-pin PICs.  The usefulness of such a device is
> quite limited.  A good starting chip is the PIC18F2520, a 28-pin
> device.  For more pins, the 40-pin PIC18F4520 (4620, 4680 are more
> powerful versions).  If you're really serious about keeping the pin
> count down, PIC18F1320.  All these are available in both DIP and SOIC
> versions.  Anything more than 40 pins is going to be in a serious SMD
> pkg, such as TQFP/QFN 64, 80, or 100.  Don't be afraid of surface mount
> stuff, it's not as problematic to hand solder as it first appears.
> There are many web pages describing several techniques people have used
> to make it a breeze.
>
> Danny
>
> Mike Phillips wrote:
>
> >Being able to install a lookup table etc would make my EV life easier.
> >I only know ancient BASIC. So then I have to try and tackle C to get
> >into uP's? I know there is the basic stamp, but I need something small
> >like in an 8 pin DIP that I can learn to program. Is there a Pic or
> >Atmel guide for pack smokin' Ultra Dummy's?
> >
> >A small uP would allow me to make a very adjustable and communicative
> >bms as well as a monitoring system. Not to mention thermal fan
hardware.

> >Mike
> >
> >--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Jeff Shanab <ev@> wrote:
> >

> >>On a side note about using PIC micro's There are loads of free
> >>simulators, free software, and low cost build it yourself programmers
> >>for PIC.
> >>
> >>One of the PIC books I got(mike or mark predo, ok but not great
author)
> >>comes with a board that you populate and links to free software, but I
> >>found better software.
> >>
> >>windows :
> >>
> >>http://www.oshonsoft.com/
> >>
> >>this software is great for the price.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Oh I know there are 8-pin PICs. But the selection is limited and of course there's only so much you can do with 6 IO pins and the internal osc. And if you're building your own project, it's usually silly because it may even be smaller to use a larger pin-count SOIC vs a DIP-8. Or at most it's a few sq mm of board space more.

Microcontrollers do not use C++. C++ requires memory management and a complex stack that would be very inefficient, or impossible, to perform with most microcontrollers, PIC included. Even the bigger ones.

I dig C, I can write a lot of stuff easily, it's quite portable, and easy to maintain and update. For example, I have code written for the 8-bit PIC18. Most of that can be used on a dsPIC33F project and the compiler will take automatically implement the code using the more effective 16 bit math automatically.

Danny

Peter Shabino wrote:

Microchip (PIC micro maker) has a entire set of 8 pin pics. If you use the internal oscillator you have 6 user IO at your disposal. So they do exist and are used quite a bit (I think the playstation and xbox modders are their #1 market. Every time I run across a post "broke my xbox" its some one who botched the install of one of these buggers).

Can't help you with C. C is ok C++ drives me nuts. But for all my apps I have used assembly on the PICs with no issues (many are non trivial. I have a UDP/IP ethernet stack for a PIC16F877 entirely written in asm). For the most part it come down to personal programming preference.

Later,
Wire

How is assembly to write in? easier than C? Glad to hear there are 8
pin uP's.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Microchip (PIC micro maker) has a entire set of 8 pin pics. If you
use the
> internal oscillator you have 6 user IO at your disposal. So they do
exist
> and are used quite a bit (I think the playstation and xbox modders
are their
> #1 market. Every time I run across a post "broke my xbox" its some
one who
> botched the install of one of these buggers).
>
> Can't help you with C. C is ok C++ drives me nuts. But for all my
apps I
> have used assembly on the PICs with no issues (many are non trivial.
I have
> a UDP/IP ethernet stack for a PIC16F877 entirely written in asm).
For the
> most part it come down to personal programming preference.
>
> Later,
> Wire
>
> >From: "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Re: LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter
> >Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:07:56 -0000
> >
> >Soldering SMT is my forte. C is not. I've seen several small 8 pin
> >uP's make a small project work well. I thought for sure PIC would have
> >some too.
> >
> >Every time I look a C I just don't get it.
> >
> >Mike
> >

> >--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Danny Miller <ev@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Microchip has a great...  and I mean great... free IDE for their
> > > compiler/assembler/programmer/simulator/debugger.   It'd be crazy to
> > > mess around with third party stuff.
> > >
> > > Writing C isn't hard at all.  And it's pretty powerful.
> > >
> > > There aren't a lot of 8-pin PICs.  The usefulness of such a
device is
> > > quite limited.  A good starting chip is the PIC18F2520, a 28-pin
> > > device.  For more pins, the 40-pin PIC18F4520 (4620, 4680 are more
> > > powerful versions).  If you're really serious about keeping the pin
> > > count down, PIC18F1320.  All these are available in both DIP and
SOIC
> > > versions.  Anything more than 40 pins is going to be in a
serious SMD
> > > pkg, such as TQFP/QFN 64, 80, or 100.  Don't be afraid of
surface mount
> > > stuff, it's not as problematic to hand solder as it first appears.
> > > There are many web pages describing several techniques people
have used
> > > to make it a breeze.
> > >
> > > Danny

> >hardware.

> >author)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Well that's a complex question. Assembly is a lower level language (add n to register W, etc). It takes some skill to implement complex tasks with assembly. Others will note there are more instructions, syntax, and other nuances involved in writing C than there are assembly instructions.

Some of the more advanced PICs- 18, ds30, ds33- they may be more "C-friendly", that is, they implement C more efficiently- but they're also loved by assembly programmers too. There are more instructions to learn but the additional instructions can do some things that will actually simplify a program, make it smaller, and make it run faster.

Danny

Mike Phillips wrote:

<>How is assembly to write in? easier than C? Glad to hear there are 8
pin uP's.

I think its easy. Its sort of like a stripped down basic (goto and all). There are 35 instructions for a PIC16 so not all that many to rember.

sample code (just off the top of my head)

START
MOVF PORTC,W ;take the data in port c (one of the IO banks) and move it to W (the accu) XORLW 0x17 ;do a exclusive or of literal data (17 in hex) with W put the result in W BTFSS STATUS,Z ;check the Z bit in the STATUS reg and skip the next instruction if its set ; the status reg have a bunch of math and other status bits. the Z bit is set if the last operation
   ; resulted in 0
 GOTO       SKIPOUT    ; just like basic go to the flag named SKIPOUT
 BSF           PORTA,0   ; set bit 0 of port A to a 1
SKIPOUT
MOVF PORTC,W ;take the data in port c (one of the IO banks) and move it to W (the accu) XORLW 0xE0 ;do a exclusive or of literal data (E0 in hex) with W put the result in W BTFSS STATUS,Z ;check the Z bit in the STATUS reg and skip the next instruction if its set ; the status reg have a bunch of math and other status bits. the Z bit is set if the last operation
   ; resulted in 0
 GOTO       SKIPOUT0    ; just like basic go to the flag named SKIPOUT0
 BCF           PORTA,0   ; set bit 0 of port A to a 0
SKIPOUT0
 GOTO       START    ; just like basic go to the flag named start

the above program will watch port C on a PIC (8 bit input or output port) and if hex 17 is present it will turn on portA bit 0 if its hex E0 it will turn off the bit all other states no change. Realy this could be done better with a FPGA but was the first example I thought of off the top of my head.

Later,
Wire

From: "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Peter Shabino" <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>