From: "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: How Hot Does a Terminal Get? Not very, it shouldn't!

batteries, too.

Well, up front, the emergency 4' cable is staying cool on that 4+
post.  My new 150-degF Celsi-Dot is not turning over the last few
days, so I think it was probably the crimp that got into trouble.
There could always be the interface between the post and the
cable lug, but I doubt that, although I don't have the data to
prove it.

Towards the end of my last pack I had a post getting a whole lot
hotter than any of these - it was actually starting to make an
impression in the cover boot.  I figure a lot more than 250-degF,
maybe 300-400.  I looked up the melting point of lead - 600 or
so.  Wanna stay away from that!  Along with a battery that
emitted a hideous odor going up the grade (never had one of those
before), I had to come up my hill in two stages - stop at the
lower parking lot.  Also coming over Wolfe Grade from San Rafael
was a stopper - that hill pulls more amps (~385A battery through
the Curtis 1231C) pulling out of that one tight corner than any
other hill I run across very often.  My old 1221B would back up
traffic, because I could only go in 1st gear; the 1231C I can
play with the gas cars staying over 20mph in 2nd, but it does
definitely suck amps through the string.

Yes, I too use that touchy-feely approach.  I just like the
Celsi-Dots there for a "heads-up - something is gonna bite you!"
warning.  The thermal cycling worries me.  That's why I'm trying
to get on this thing.

I'd like to know how those hot-rod EV guys with Optimas or Exides
packed away in inaccesible corners monitor their posts, and keep
them tight.  Those lead posts will cold-creep too.  And with
I**2*R staring at you in the face, and their mucho-amp draws
(>1000A), a post would have a lot more potential for a melt-down.

> > That 10" cable was made in 2001.  Full of noalox, so
> > corrosion should not be a problem, with heat-shrink tubing
with
> > melt-able liner.  ??  A bit of thermal cycling that got worse
and
> > worse?
> >
>   Sounds like your cable end is just tired out. The thermal
cycling thing
> has gotten to you. Maybe, or definately a bum crimp when it was
new, and the
> thermal thing just tired out the connection? Now, IF I could
solder you a
> new terninal on that there cable, it would run stone cold! Try
re crimping
> it, or clipping it off and crimping, if you must, a new one on.

Perhaps I should've tried recrimping it.  Just line up the 2/0
dies in the same place and let'er rip?  It will be nice to have
my own crimp tool so I don't have to make such an EVent out of
it.  And I think I will saw open that hot end and see what it
looks like inside - I have never done that - should be a solid
mass of copper packed right up right against the walls of the lug
and no discoloration.

When you're out this way sometime, Bob, you'll have to show me
how you do it (your solder technique)!

Chuck

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/results.htm

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:  Can you give the website where the points are posted?
I google searched but didn't find it...
I work at a TV station. Thought I would see if they would do a story.

Ken

Date: 6/4/06 5:22:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Date: 6/4/06 9:54:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Hower)
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Dennis,
Congratulations!!!
With the cost of gas in the news everyday I would
think
the national news should be doing a story on this and
get even more EV press.
Keep up the good work!
Rod

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> After a long week of racing great news,we took over
> the NHRA Summit Super Pro
> points lead. The final round 2am. Again my .00
> reaction times played a huge
> factor, but the CE also did its job. Of the 5 round
> wins I redialed the car 4
> times. The motor temp started at 113F and ended the
> night at 116F.
> The batteries started at 121F and ended at 128F. The
> track temp. started at
> 151F and ended at 97F. It was a warm night to race
> in a double layer race suit
> siting 4 inches off the track. I am sure I lost at
> least 5lbs. Of the 5 round
> wins 4 cars were quicker than 8.5 seconds. 2 racers
> broke out by .003. Last
> night was huge in that the points leader lost in the
> 1st round and I went all
> the way. I now have at least a 4 round advantage in
> 1st place. 3rd 4th and 5th
> places fell further behind as I took them out early.
> Again these are the
> Division champs at my track for the last 3 years so
> I now have more points then any
> other NHRA div track. HUGE EV PRESS.
>

> Dennis Berube

I forgot to mention the prizes,$1000,large trophy,car ramps,jacks and roll
around. Dennis >>
Well the Points are posted on the Speedworld website. The Current Eliminator
Dragster has a 401 point advantage over 2nd place.That is at least 4 rounds
more than the ICE dragsters in the super pro class.
Dennis Berube

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:45:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Honda to Stop Making Insights
From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

That's understandable, considering what airbags can do to adults. Our
friend's airbag went off last year. It looked like she'd gone a round w/ a
professional fighter. (The Chevy horn cover nearly took her eye out.)

I wonder what her face would have looked like if she had hit the steering
wheel instead of the airbag.  I realize there are those few situations where
a seemingly minor accident caused the bag to go off.  It's easy to
rationalize that the bag caused more injuries than it prevented, but I think
people don't realize just how hard an impact can be, how quickly the
steering wheel or dash comes at you, or the related neck and belt-burn
injuries that were prevented by the airbag.

I wish that California hadn't submitted to the media hysterics and made it
illegal to put children in front of an airbag.  Now my son has to deal with
the same neck injuries, belt injuries and impact injuries that he would have
back in the 60's.

Children are perfectly safe in an airbag equipped seat, possibly even safer
than in the back seat, as long as they are in a forward-facing child seat,
properly installed, with the seat as far back as possible.  The vast
majority of airbag-related fatalities in children occurred because they were
either improperly restrained, or in a rear-facing seat.

Tim

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 12:56:09 -0500
From: Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

That's not a media hysterics thing.  Airbags going off on a child seat
are pretty dangerous, even fatal.  There have even been cases of truly
gruesome child fatalities in accidents which were not particularly
serious collisions to begin with.

It's safe for millions of miles as long as you don't have an airbag
deployment.  Then things get bad in a millisecond.

Danny

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:07:10 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: RE: Trojan T-1275 VS T-875 Batteries
From: "Tim Humphrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

How about the US EV-145. Kinda big, might not work for you.

http://www.usbattery.com/pages/12vsweeper.htm

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

Get your own FREE evgrin.com email address;
send a request to ryan at evsourcecom

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:15:43 EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Date:  6/8/06 10:51:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time
From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Can you give the website where the points are posted?  I google searched
but
didn't find it...
I work at a TV station.  Thought I would see if they would do a story.

Ken >>
Hi Ken,You can find my points standing at http://speedworldmotorplex.comand
then look at Team Speedworld current standings.    Thanks Dennis

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 18:19:25 -0000
From: "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Edward Ang" <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Nimh meltdown

> 1)  You can't recharge Nimh with a CV curve.

In a Prius they are not following any curve at all. They charge and
discharge at any rate needed to stay between 40-80% soc. It is
documented that the Prius can put well over 120 amps back into the
pack on demand. As Lee has mentioned, the peak voltage for Nimh is
very shallow and hard to detect. Even harder with parallel packs. I am
not trying to peak detect these packs. I have monitored this curve for
countless hours. I set the charger to run below the peak of this curve
to keep the packs at something like 90% charged, similar to the Prius.

> 2)  You can't expect parallel packs to share charging or discharging
current equally.

I individually monitored their charging current. It was very close to
the same going into each pack. Each pack was equalized a couple times
just for good measure. The entire array was very close in soc when it
nuked.

> 3)  These are made worse when you have packs of different ages.

Only if the impedance was different in each pack. During charging it
appeared very that each pack had very similar impedance based on the
individual charging amps going in and the temperature response.

> 4)  You are not actively tracking the status of each pack.

Each pack has thermal sense ciruitry on it, to adjust the fan flow as
needed. I just had shut it off. I do monitor the current into each
pack during charging.

> 5)  Your charger does not have a temperature safety shut off.

Correct. But it will shortly. I left extra room on each thermal sense
board for just such a requirement. I have the circuit breadboarded now.

> 6)  Your charger does not have a timeout safety shut off.

It does, but it's still set for the old lead acid pack. So it needs to
be reset. Since the charger is poorly documented at best, it will take
me a bit to find the constant that needs to be changed.

The whole point of this exercise is to see if these batts can provide
long cycle life in an EV. Bonehead moves aside. Since there are relays
connecting each pack to the array it's a simple matter to disconnect a
pack to charge or recharge it separately.

Mike

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 11:24:12 -0700
From: "Stefan T. Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Electric/EV basic knowledge

Steve Condie wrote:
> I thought Lee Hart **was** Electricity for Dummies!  If you can't
understand it after he explains it, you really ought to pack it in...

>   Speaking of which - I think the reason Lee didn't get any takers on
his $10 reg offer is that the Hart Z-reg is the perfect "beginner's project
kit" for EV newbies.  I know I treated it that way, and it was a great
introduction.  Find the parts, solder this, epoxy that, learn to understand
the (very basic) circuit and why it does what it does.  You get to build
something from scratch which will actually improve the performance of your
EV, learn some basic electronics, scope out sources for things like lugs and
zeners, and most importantly, you get to let a (tiny) amount of smoke out
when you hook one up backwards!  It's a basic beginner's A to Z of the
Hombrewed EV experience - and all at a nominal cost.

$8 + S&H bag-of-parts and simple instruction booklet kit, perhaps?

~ Peanut Gallery ~

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:23:31 -0500
From: "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: City Range (Was Conversion on eBay)

At 15MPH you can get a long way :) But seriously, how much range are
people getting for city driving from their EVs? I always hear the
highway range quoted. What are people getting in the city?

-Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4647644891

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 13:29:19 -0500
From: Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Pic stuff (was) LED Matrix (was) the Mark Brueggemann Meter

I'm strict about code reuse efforts, but even I think the distinction
between ".pin1" and ".1" would be petty.   As is using "HIGH" instead of
"1".

I noticed that there have been several followup emails now and they're
missing the real reuse/documentation issue.  You don't WANT to state the
pin in the code in the first place.  Just define it and say
"PIN_SDI=0;"  "PIN_LED_GREEN=1;" etc.
That serves two purposes.  One, it's strongly self-documenting.  I do
not need to write comments that I am assigning the green LED pin a
value.  This is inherently obvious.  I cannot change what the line does
and forget to change the comment line either.  It has guaranteed
accuracy.  Lots of times you find you decided at some point that you
wanted the red LED to light instead and forgot to check that the comment
specifically said "GREEN" LED.  Or you decided to change it everywhere
and did a blanket "Find... Replace" to make all reference to the green
LED's pin move to the red LED's pin.  Well, the Find-Replace won't
adjust comments.  Once you're not completely sure a comment is accurate
you end up hunting all over trying to verify all sorts of things anyways.

It is also often desirable to link macros to each other:
#define PIN_LED_GREEN  LATA.1
#define PIN_LED_RED      LATA.2
#define PIN_ALARM          PIN_LED_GREEN

If you later decide red is a better color for the alarm, you need not
rewrite any of the code.  Just change the #define.

Two, you can put all the stuff pertaining to what's hooked up where in
one place.  Handy when you're trying to hand-wire or debug a board for
one.  The documentation about pin assignments is all in one place and
more importantly there is no question that it is accurate.  And if you
decide you need to move the LED to another pin, you can just change that
#define and the code will adapt.  I have code I need to run on an old
and new board revision sometimes.  So pin.h has
#ifdef VERSION_A
#define PIN_LED_RED LATA.1
#else
#define PIN_LED_GREEN LATD.2
#endif

So you can be completely flexible on pin use.

Danny

From: "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 13:38:58 -0500

Don't most 2 seaters have a switch to turn off the airbag to use with a
carseat? I know my dads truck does.

Later,
Wire

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 11:54:29 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

From: Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:54:03 -0600
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

On Jun 8, 2006, at 12:15 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Ken,You can find my points standing at
> http://speedworldmotorplex.com and
> then look at Team Speedworld current standings.

A direct link: <http://speedworldmotorplex.com/results.htm>

Nice work, Dennis!

Is there some place on the Speedworld site where people can find out
that you're running an electric dragster?

--
Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:16:29 -0700
From: "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

Dave wrote:

> So, the c code should have been:
>
> LatchA.pin1=0;
>
> to clear the bit and the bit reference in the structure
> doesn't change?

Right, the expression "LatchA.pin1" always references the same bit in
register/port LatchA.

So:

LatchA.pin1 = 1;        // sets the bit high
LatchA.pin1 = 0;        // sets it low

if (LatchA.pin1 == 1)   // tests if the bit is high
if (LatchA.pin1 == 0)   // tests if the bit is low

From: Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:16:14 -0700

It is actually pretty simple to disconnect the Airbag squib from the
controller
to avoid the possiblity of deployment if the car has no switch.
Drawback is that the passenger loses its airbag, unless you wire
a switch in for the airbag.

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:23:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does any one have "Lic. Plate Envy
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

I had it but got over it. I had originally wanted "NO GAS" for my Arizona
alternative fuel plate, but it was taken. I didn't realize for a while I
knew the person who had that plate. His name is Gene Cosmono, he's been
playing with electric for years, he's 80 some years old, a world war 2
veteran and purple heart, and has almost 120,000 miles (that's electric
miles, not total miles) on his VW pickup truck conversion..... he can have
that plate.

  So instead I went for "ZEROGAS", they wouldn't let me use a space
between the two words, but everyone figures it out. I admittedly stole this
idea from a California Rav4EV driver who had the plate on his EV1 prior.

  Funny thing is in Arizona you get something like a 95% discount on
registration for alternative fuel or $5 whichever is lower. By the formula
they have the registration for the Saturn with the alt fuel discount would
have been pennies because it's value is considered so low (if they only knew
what was under the hood). So in short my actual registration was $17 and
some change for two years! Then I turned around and got the custom plate for
two years at $25 a year, so it cost me over 3 times as much for that custom
plate as the actual registration. Our blue cloud alternative fuel plates
look cool though.

Later,
Ricky
02 Insight
92 Saturn SC2 EV 144 Volt
Glendale, AZ USA

From: "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Advice for FIL: NEV, Hybrid, or...?
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:39:26 -0700

Yup..Sure am.

If I can keep the posted price from dropping by %50 per day!!!

I am hoping to have a sample for review in days for $10K. That is
basically
plug and play.

It's my goal to make this as easy as Adding a Holley or a blower to a ICE
car.

Ummm Rich.. I rarely hassle anyone on Spelling But... this time I feel I
have to.

Manzanita Micro.... proper spelling...

Sheet metal Fabs in the PacNorthwest are kind Jammed with work right now.
am getting hit on the proto battery case and painfully hobbled on the PFC
charger with Amp meter modification.
Both are primary parts to the PiPrius Kit project.

I should have something on my Website.. Ryan has been doing that part for
now.

What all your PHEV potential customers should be asking is:

Large expensive battery.. Long recharge times...Or
Dirt cheap batteries.. and Really Fast recharge times??

Getting the most from your system... is going to take Cash...or a large AC
feed circuit.
I can solve the rapid recharge path.... one way or the other.

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro.

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:40:56 -0700
From: "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

Danny Miller wrote:

> I'm strict about code reuse efforts, but even I think the distinction
> between ".pin1" and ".1" would be petty.

It really comes down to personal preference.  ".1" is not portable to
other compilers and does not have any readability or clarity advantage
so I would avoid it in favour of the portable version.

> As is using "HIGH" instead of "1".

Nope, this one is important.  "1" and "0" specify the state of the bit
in the register, but not necessarily the state of the output pin.  Some
processors have registers where writing a "1" to an output bit sets the
output pin low.

> I noticed that there have been several followup emails now
> and they're missing the real reuse/documentation issue.

I didn't think the object of the thread was code reuse/documentation,
but rather whether learning assembly rather than C would be a
good/better investment of an EV hobbiest's time if they want to get into
using microcontrollers.

>  You don't WANT to state the pin in the code in the first place.
>  Just define it and say "PIN_SDI=0;"  "PIN_LED_GREEN=1;" etc.

I agree.  But, when you define the pin you will be using a cosntruct
such as:

#define PIN_SDI   (LatchA.pin1)

in order to instruct the preprocessor to perform the text substitution
of "(LatchA.pin1)" every time it sees "PIN_SDI", before running the
compiler (I realise you know this, but I'm there may be others following
this thread who are less familiar with how these things work).

> It is also often desirable to link macros to each other:
> #define PIN_LED_GREEN  LATA.1
> #define PIN_LED_RED    LATA.2
> #define PIN_ALARM      PIN_LED_GREEN
>
> If you later decide red is a better color for the alarm, you need not
> rewrite any of the code.  Just change the #define.

Yes, this is the preferable approach.

I think we have gotten rather far from the original question and its
answer and doubt there are many on the list who are interested in this
level of coding practice details ;^>

Perhaps we should let this thread die out unless someone indicates that
there is still some question they'd like answered?

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:41:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Need Advice -- Gel pack rejuvenation plan
From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> This is one of those "timely" threads.
>
> I have recently opened some of those 26ah Hawkers I posted about a while
> back. The date codes on these batteries are from late 2001 to mid 2002.
> --
> Stay Charged! <<-- Finally after all these years, my sig means something
> to me.
> Hump

Isn't it amazing how much abuse/neglect that brand can take? I got my
batts (cheap) after they were pulled from the rack for excessive age. (If
I recall, they were over 2 years old.) I spent a few months abusing them,
then 4 years w/ them stuffed in the closet. Dusted them off last month...
tucked them in the lawnmower... and they came back to near-new service.

Then there are the Chinese batts they replaced. Never used, 2 years old,
and DOA w/ no warranty!

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:45:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

That's understandable, considering what airbags can do to adults. Our
friend's airbag went off last year. It looked like she'd gone a round w/ a
professional fighter. (The Chevy horn cover nearly took her eye out.)

I wish my car allowed them to be shut off.

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:04:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Rich's idea is awesome. It could help EV's as well for range extension.
Takes out the need for a genset.

Just kills me to see Rich giving a spelling lesson to someone else :)

Mike

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:06:43 -0700
From: "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

Jonathan Smith wrote:

> Instead of six 12V 30XHS, Global Electric Motorcars now puts
> nine Trojan T875 as OEM in their six passenger model (four
> seater with a flip seat added).

If true, that's the cheapskate option ;^>  (I happen to know for a fact
that the chargers in the GEM cars do *not* include an algorithm for the
large flooded batteries ;^).

The "normal" pack is six 12V DEKA 8G31 gels and the "high capacity pack"
is 9 8V DEKA gels.

> Not to say it isn't so, I just have not heard of a T-1275 8V.

The T1275 is a Trojan 12V flooded battery, not an 8V.  It appears to be
a J150 with low profile SAE posts for golf-car use.  If you look, you
will find both on Trojan's website.  I've got a couple of T1275 packs in
our lab; I know they exist, and I know that they really do deliver their
rated 70-75Ah at the C/1 rate.

From: "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Electric Auto Association mentioned in July's Popular
Mechanics
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:20:59 -0700

Keep in mind this is a wish folks...
They don't have a Kit available.. and this kit most likely would not
include
batteries.

Really cheap kits... are still to be thought out.

My hardware cost is going cost me over the $5000 mark.
This is like trying to hit a moving target.

And keep in mind that the current cost for Lithium... just the batteries
is
over a Buck a watt hour.
The BMS for Lion support is going to add about $20 cents a watt hour...
The cost per Watt hour for quality PbLa AGMS is about 33 cents a watt
hour.
The current cost with cheap PbLa AGM batteries is about 20 cents a watt
hour
for just the batteries.
Given that a Prius in EV mode ,under 35 mph may attain 200 watt hours per
mile.. and 150 miles would need 30Kw of stored power...
A Lion pack to get 150 miles would cost over $30,000 or more than the cost
of the Prius in the first place. This is without a BMS to support it, A
interlock unit and a charger, and the CAN buss controller and cables and
time to document what needs to be done.

I am getting irritated that folks are Spewing cost of Kits around like
over
Deflated Seattle Housing prices.

What one wishes to sell a Kit for and what it actually gets delivered for
are going to be two totally different things..
It's also not clear what features most folks really need and want.

I am trying to kit parts up for as cheap as I dare and still keep the
lights
on.

Without a really sharp pencil.. I can only set Not to exceed costs.

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:01:19 EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Date:  6/8/06 12:09:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug Weathers)
Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

--
Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA
<http://learn-something.blogsite.org >>
No they seem to be keeping that fact pretty quiet,but maybe at the end of
the
year. Dennis

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 15:58:20 -0500
From: "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Science Central article and video (see right hand side of page)
on MIT Ultacaps

http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view.php3?type=article&article_id=218392803

Nothing terribly new here, except for some good pics and the video.
Article mentions use for (PH)EVs.

-Mike

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 17:09:15 -0400
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Thanks Dennis!
Just what I was looking for.  I submitted the info to the News Room.  Long
shot but worth a try!

Ken

Date:  6/8/06 10:51:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time
From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Can you give the website where the points are posted?  I google searched
but
didn't find it...
I work at a TV station.  Thought I would see if they would do a story.

Ken >>
Hi Ken,You can find my points standing at http://speedworldmotorplex.comand
then look at Team Speedworld current standings.    Thanks Dennis
Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and
IM. All on demand. Always Free.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:28:54 EDT
Subject: Re:ZOMBIE, JOHN,TIM and FT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

John I sure would like too see you race the Zombie with Team PIR.Alongwith
the $ and points earned towards the NHRA Summit championship you could end
up
at the finals in Pomona.Its live TV coverge against the ICE cars.There is
at
least 1 other EV qualified to run in div.7 finals in Bakersfield its
runing in
the non electronics class(pro class where the zombie would race).EVs
should
also be represented in the motorcycle class and high school class.What a
hoot it
would be to have EVs represent every NHRA bracket class in the ET Finals!
LIVE
   Come on John stop playing in the test lanes,I hear Tim can really cut a
light,thats all it takes. REALLY RACE and make some BUCKS with that ZOMBIE
Dennis

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:52:54 -0400
From: "Jonathan Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: evlist <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

You could get an EE and still not know what some of the people in this
forum
do.
I'd turn back, if I were you. Really! STOP reading now. This way lies
MADNESS.
Wayland, for example.

Seriously, there is lots of information on the Internet about EV basics.
The
EV Album's "So You Want to Build an Electric Car" and EVADC guide to doing
an electric conversion are basic and informative.

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:46:23 -0500
From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Steve Condie wrote:
> I think the reason Lee didn't get any takers on his $10 reg offer is
> that the Hart Z-reg is the perfect "beginner's project kit" for EV
> newbies. I know I treated it that way, and it was a great introduction.

And that's fine. I'm happy with anytihng that gets people off the
computer and into actually building something!

Stefan T. Peters wrote:
> $8 + S&H bag-of-parts and simple instruction booklet kit, perhaps?

That's even easier for me. The $10 I quoted is mostly labor.

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 15:18:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PHEV - speed?
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

I am reading a lot about PHEVs, but everything I have read says the top
speed in all electric mode is 34 MPH.  To me, that means there is no such
thing as all electric mode because the minute I leave my neighborhood I am
going 40 - 50 MPH.

  Is anyone working on a way to increase the max speed in all electric
mode?

  What I would like as a consumer (and EV proponent) is a car that can do
50 MPH with ICE like acceleration in all electric mode for 25 miles.  After
25 miles, the car can go into a hybrid mode or all gas power mode.  The
hybrid mode wouldn't make much sense because the battery would be depleted
at that point and cycling it at 80% DOD would drastically shorten its
life.  So, pretty much what I am looking for is a car that runs in all
electric mode up to 50 MPH for 25 miles.  More than 50 MPH, gas is OK
(better if it runs as a hybrid).  More than 25 miles, gas (even all gas) is
OK.

  The question becomes, is anyone working on getting the speed up.  Just
FYI, I heard from a friend that he ran his (classic model) out of gas and it
ran 50 MPH in all electric mode.  How did he get over 34 MPH?  Is it
becauuse he was already running 50 MPH when it ran out.  Someone recently
stated that the car can't safely even roll at more than 34 MPH without the
engine running under gas power.  Very bad for anyone planning to tow with 4
wheels on the ground.

  I guess the bottom line is that I am confused.  Can someone clarify the
34 MPH issue?

  I posted that idea of using a powered axle or even an electric pusher
trailer, but I didn't get any comments.  Has anyone tried that?  I would
seriously consider the electric pusher trailer on a hybrid as a quick fix to
ge an all electric car for the first 20 miles.  That means that I would put
the hybrid in neutral and push it with a trailer.  Comments?  What do you
think?

  Steve