  1) Re: BMS poll
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: BMS poll
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Exploding Liion cells
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: AC output to rectifier
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: BMS poll
        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: BMS poll
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: BMS poll
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: BMS poll
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: BMS poll
        by "steve ollerton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: costco - no outlet
        by Ricky Suiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: BMS poll
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: BMS poll
        by Matthew Milliron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Escape Hybrid Nav display was Old Timers may remember
        by "Richard Furniss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: AC output to rectifier
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: BMS poll
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: BMS poll
        by "David Sherritze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: BMS poll
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: "Who Killed the Electric Car" radio blurb tomorrow (Friday) morning on
CBC Radio One at 8:36am Central.
        by "Jay Caplan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Exploding Liion cells
        by "David Sharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Measuring High Voltage
        by Martin K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) re:BMS poll
        by Jimmy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: AC output to rectifier
        by Martin K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: BMS poll
        by Robert Lemke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Battery Watering
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: conversion business
        by "Jody Dewey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Battery Charger Testing
        by "David Sherritze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) RE: BMS poll
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) RE: Trying to understand shunt regs
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: AC output to rectifier
        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: Trying to understand shunt regs
So how many folks on this last have bms on their battery pack?

I have 50 zener regs on my Prizm. I know of two other people who have them as well. Also have them on my shed batteries.

--- Begin Message --- I assume that BMS stands for "Battery Management System" - apologies from us newbies, but I have always been of the mind that acronyms are the enemy of understanding.....

From: Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: BMS poll
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:51:54 -0400

So how many folks on this last have bms on their battery pack?

I have 50 zener regs on my Prizm. I know of two other people who have them as well. Also have them on my shed batteries.

>From http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32550

"Dell laptop explodes at Japanese conference"

"AN INQUIRER READER attending a conference in Japan was sat just feet away from
a laptop computer that suddenly exploded into flames, in what could have been a
deadly accident."

Makes the Valance batteries look more appealing, glad this was not my car :)

Thanks!

Hello Ben,

You can increase you voltage on your autotransformer by adding more primary
windings by connecting the primary windings in series with another transformer.

My existing charger, I had before I now have the PFC-50, was a autotransformer
using two dry type 15 kva transformers connected in series to get above 300
volts with a input of 120 vac or 240 vac.

Get a transformer with  a duel voltage input,  two windings of 120 vac that can
be series for a 240 volt input. This will have four leads in the primary.

The primary wires are label as:

No. 1 to No. 2 is one 120 volt circuit.
No. 3 to No. 4 is one 120 volt circuit.

Connecting Leads 2 and 3, now allows to put 240 volts across 1 and 4.

Or you can connect 120 volts to Leads No. 1 and No. 2 which is connected to
lead No. 3. You then should get 240 volts output between Lead no. 1 and No. 4.

Connect Leads No. 1 and 4 to a full wave bridge.  Change two of the diodes of
the bridge where Line 1 and Line 4 is connected to  SCR diodes.

To trigger these diodes, I came off the two secondary 120 volts windings of the
transformer.  Keep these two secondary windings separate from one another.

Build a voltage divider by connecting the 120 volt secondary winding that is on
the same side as the primary winding for Lead no. 1.  This secondary winding
Lead No. T1 is in series with a diode, a 150 ohm rheostat, a 50 ohm resistor ,
a 100 ohm resistor and than connect to Line No. 1 of the transformer primary.

The other lead of this secondary winding T2 is connected to a 1 to 2 amp fuse
and to the same Line No. 1 of the transformer primary.

The values I used were all power heat sinking resistors of 25 watts and the
Rheostat had a rating of 100 watts.

The SCR gate circuit is tap off between the 50 ohm and 100 ohm resistor.

The values of the resistance and wattage may change, depending on the maximum
gate voltage of the SCR.

You then build a second trigger circuit coming off the other 120 volt secondary
leads T2 and T4 and connecting them also to the primary Lead no. 4.

The two rheostat can be gang together or keep separate.

You then can come off the bridge to a voltage and ampere indications (using a
amp shunt), a DC fuse or circuit breaker and to a optional 1.0 Henry reactor
coil.   The reactor coil may not be needed if you use the SCRS.  If no SCRS,
the reactor coil will slow the DC surge into the batteries.

You can build a 1.0 Henry reactor coil, by turning about 500 feet of No. 8
square magnet wire around a stack of 14 or 16 gage steel plates that form a bar
about 1 inch square and about 6 to 8 inches long.  This is get very large, so
its best to build the SCR battery charger.

From: Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Friday, July 14, 2006 2:15 pm
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> It's easy enough to find out from the list admin how many people
> are on
> this list. So I thought a poll is appropriate to see how many have
> something attached to each battery that is active in managing the
> battery pack. One charger per battery counts. Having a fancy charger
> alone does not count.
>
> So how many folks on this last have bms on their battery pack?
>
> Mike
>

> Here's to the crazy ones.
> The misfits.
> The rebels.
> The troublemakers.
> The round pegs in the square holes.
> The ones who see things differently
> The ones that change the world!!
>
> www.RotorDesign.com

I have a Beckhoff computer monitoring EVery cell.

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
It's easy enough to find out from the list admin how many people are on
this list. So I thought a poll is appropriate to see how many have
something attached to each battery that is active in managing the
battery pack. One charger per battery counts. Having a fancy charger
alone does not count.

So how many folks on this last have bms on their battery pack?

Mike

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently
The ones that change the world!!

www.RotorDesign.com

It's a California thing only. Check out:

  www.evchargernews.com

  I am lucky, they had them at Costco's here in Phoenix and Tucson, all but one
have removed their chargers and it happens to be the one closest to me. Far as
I know I'm the only one who uses them, but I've been trying to use them as much
as possible. Also a lot of them just have paddle chargers, but in California
the EAA has been working with costco to put paddle, avcon and 5-20 outlets at
most locations to accomodate everyone. If there's enough EV owners in your area
you guys might talk to Costco and see if they'd let you install an outlet.

Later,
Ricky
02 Insight
92 Saturn SC2 EV 144 Volt
Glendale, AZ USA

On my TS cells, I have Victor's shunt regulators.

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:14:26 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>It's easy enough to find out from the list admin how many people are on
>this list. So I thought a poll is appropriate to see how many have
>something attached to each battery that is active in managing the
>battery pack. One charger per battery counts. Having a fancy charger
>alone does not count.
>
>So how many folks on this last have bms on their battery pack?
>
>Mike
>

>Here's to the crazy ones.
>The misfits.
>The rebels.
>The troublemakers.
>The round pegs in the square holes.
>The ones who see things differently
>The ones that change the world!!
>
>www.RotorDesign.com

  BMS.  I have an individual charger on each battery.

Matt Milliron
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/702
My daughter named it, "Pikachu". It's yellow and black,
electric and contains Japanese parts, so I went with it.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Maybe I can help Rich, What are you looking for? where I work we are a Ford, GM, Chrysler warranty repair station (Gov Fleet) and have full access to tech support and publications. We have one Ford Escape in the fleet and a half dozen GM hybrids along with a bunch of Hondas and Prius's, over 90% of our fleet of 600+ vehicles is alternative fuel vehicles, Biodiesel, CNG, Hybrid, electric vehicles, and hydrogen.

Richard Furniss
is it suppose to smoke like that ?

From: "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Madman
got 2 EVs and
a 2007 Escape Hybrid.

Can anybody find the Nav display for it??
The Nav Cd/radio has a special EV power flow button and screen. Nobody can
find one installed.
I want one.. In my 2007 Green 2 wheel drive.
Any Ford power train guys still on this list??
I need Ford Corprate help. The Guys on the Sales end are kinda clue less.

I needed 400 volts for testing boards. But it can put out enough
current to charge slowly and is infinitely adjustable.

I bought a fairly beefy 28vac transformer. I placed a variac between
the transformers *secondaries* and the wall outlet. On the remaining
output wires of the transformer, I placed rectifiers etc. So the
transformer is connected backwards. When I turn the variac up slowly I
get 400vdc output at about 66% on the variac scale, but only pulling
.380 amps from the wall. The current from the wall will become quite
high if the variac is turned up too far. Use a current meter for
checking output. Use a fuse too.

This will easily get you what you need and have the current as well.

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My electronics teacher (from years ago) explained to me that if I
plug the
> high voltage bridge rectifier into the AC outlet, I will get 1.41 x
120 (AC
> input Volts) 1% of the time (when the voltage is at the top of the
peak -
> or something like that).
> As a result, I would be able to charge my 156 VDC battery pack (albeit
> extremely slowly) with a direct connect to rectifier up to 169 Volts
> (opportunity only charge).
>

> Is the (TIMES 1.41) logic appropriate?
>
> Or Any other thoughts on the best way to get 169-172 VDC out of a
120 VAC
> outlet.
> Is it simply the rectifier with GFI protection.
> Or what specs of a transformer for this application  12, 24, 36 Volt
boost?

> I primarily use 220 VAC zivan at home.
>

> I have an auto transformer that would also permit me to Tap in at
105 and
> out at 110, increasing the ratio (as well as other taps up to 125). but
> this seems shorted as it is drawing 70 Amps loaded or not loaded.  with
> ohmeter on the 6 taps of the autotransformer 1,13.5, 24, 105, 110,
> 115,120,125, should they read as shorted by the ohmeter, open, or with
> resistance?
>
> Thanks, Ben
>

> or anyone have one of those Solectria battery chargers for sale that are
> 156 VDC output only?

Monitoring is not management, although dang useful. Is there a bypass
or regulation/clamping going on each battery?

Mike

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "steve ollerton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a Beckhoff computer monitoring EVery cell.
>
> Steve

I use individual 12 volt chargers on each of the batteries

David

It's easy enough to find out from the list admin how many people are on
this list. So I thought a poll is appropriate to see how many have
something attached to each battery that is active in managing the
battery pack. One charger per battery counts. Having a fancy charger
alone does not count.

So how many folks on this last have bms on their battery pack?

Mike

Here's to the crazy ones.
The misfits.
The rebels.
The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.
The ones who see things differently
The ones that change the world!!

www.RotorDesign.com

I wish, but they don't qualify for a "BMS" in true meaning
of the term :-(

Speaking of that, the best is the enemy of the good - I DON'T have
any BMS in my vehicle, though in the lab it is running as well as
one done professionally for one of my customers. Priority
is to get EVision (e-meter replacement) out. The BMS will
follow for masses hopefully by the end of this year.

I know, promises promises...

Victor

Bill Dennis wrote:
On my TS cells, I have Victor's shunt regulators.

It's easy enough to find out from the list admin how many people are on
this list. So I thought a poll is appropriate to see how many have
something attached to each battery that is active in managing the
battery pack. One charger per battery counts. Having a fancy charger
alone does not count.

So how many folks on this last have bms on their battery pack?

Mike

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently
The ones that change the world!!

www.RotorDesign.com

Right, except the average car life span is 11 yrs, so the calculation would
be 27%,  which is less than the fuel usage per year according to Spinella.
This calculation may not include reuse of old parts and scrap metal from
junkers, which would reduce the initial energy balance even more. Not sure
if Spinella included that recycling.
http://www.meretec.com/meretec.asp?ID=40
Jay