  1) Re: Electric AC compressor (HFC134a)
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Electric AC compressor (HFC134a)
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Electric AC compressor (HFC134a)
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: connectors for NiMH batteries?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: NHRA Electric Dragster record holder, CE-V and Dennis "Killowatt"
Berube
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  6) Re: Potbox problems
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  7) Re: Potbox problems
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: article: Tesla Roadster Sells Out First 100 Cars
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: I don't need a dc-dc converter
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Inrush current limiting the IOTA DLS-55
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Material science 101
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: battery trailers
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Ok, so I NEED a DC-DC converter
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Engine and Motor in Series
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: battery trailers
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: article: Tesla Roadster Sells Out First 100 Cars
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Ok, so I NEED a DC-DC converter
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: battery trailers
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Generator Trailer
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Inrush current limiting the IOTA DLS-55
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) EV List Moderation (was : A123 pack configuration in KillaCycle)
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Roll call: International price comparison, was: Re: Driving habbits
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Engine and Motor in Series
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) kids EV
        by Staffanson Brian J Civ 309 EMXG/QPE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Lion fires
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Electric AC compressor (HFC134a)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 27) Re: kids EV
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Engine and Motor in Series
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: New EV board !!!!!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 30) Re: kids EV
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Toyota Hybrid pack is 201.6 VDC which is what Denso claims to place these in.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Wonder what voltage range it takes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130019950443

Toyota Hybrid pack is 201.6 V which is what Denso claims to place these in.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Wonder what voltage range it takes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130019950443

---------------------------------
Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small
Business.

This si the ac compressor I am interested in.  I have been doing some
research.

    The actual voltage is vague but it appears from some documentation
that it needs a 500V (the prius boosted bus) Variable frequency AC drive
in the 2Kw range.

    Also, the motor floats in the oil that floats in the freon so there
is a special oil that can handle the high voltage.

   Note to prius owners : toping off your AC with cans of r134 that have
an oil charge in them could cause a spectacular problem or a safety
issue(voltage leakage to compressor body)

Indeed, chrome is clear, nickel is the "color" commonly called chrome :-)

In a message dated 8/22/06 8:24:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

<< Subj:     Re: NHRA Electric Dragster record holder, CE-V and Dennis
"Killowatt" Berube
 Date:  8/22/06 8:24:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 In a message dated 8/21/06 8:52:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

 << Subj:     NHRA Electric Dragster record holder, CE-V and Dennis
 "Killowatt" Berube
  Date:  8/21/06 8:52:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time
  From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DM3)
  Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

  For the newest members of the list and the rest of us that are interested,
  the following is a summary of this years achievement of the Current
  Eliminator V and its owner, designer, builder and driver Dennis Berube:

  This is a historic year (2006) for Division 7 of the National Hot Rod
  Association (NHRA).  Since the NHRA's inception in 1951, all of the top
  competitors in it's ranks have run on combustible fuels, this is the first
  time an all-electric vehicle has gone this far in the division finals for
  bracket racing.

  Dennis Berube owns an Electric dragster named the "Current Eliminator V"
  (CE-V).  He races the CE-V religiously at Speedworld Raceway Park in
  Surprise, Arizona. See it at his site:
  http://www.currenteliminator.net/home/

  Dennis and the CE-V hold the WORLD RECORD in the NHRA for the fastest time
  in the quarter mile for an ALL-electric vehicle at 8.801 seconds!  The
  CE-V is truly fastest quarter mile EV on the PLANET!!!!
  ***The CE is the QUICKEST EV recorded by Nedra on a NHRA TRACK.
                    It used just 25 6.5ah lead batteries setting the record.I
also have over 175 other 8 second NHRA timeslips.  Dennis Berube Looking
foward to just half the liths Bill has on the kilacycle!!!
  Presently, Dennis is "Bracket Racing" the Current Eliminator V at
  Speedworld.  Arizona is in Division 7 of the NHRA and he is the
  current points leader for the "Super Pro" Group.  See the latest point
  standing, it is posted at:  http://speedworldmotorplex.com/results.htm

  The next important Local event at Speedworld in Surprise Az will occur on
  September 16 at 8:00 AM.  http://speedworldmotorplex.com/schedule.htm
  This is the final local event of the season for Dennis' class.
  *** Just for the record the final race on the 16th has been replaced by a
 race on the 23rd of sept.I only need to go 1 round to capture the track
 championship.
  As a result of this seasons racing, the top 4 from each track in Division
  7 (Dennis is guaranteed to be in the top 4) will then go to Bakersfield
  California for the Division 7 "Race of Champions" on October 13 through
  15.  At that race the top 4 from each Division 7 track compete for the
  single winner from Division 7.
  http://www.nhra.com/aboutnhr/etseries.htm#finals

  The single winner from Division 7 will then go to Pomona California to
  compete in the overall "Race of Champions" for NHRA Bracket Racing on
  November 9 through 12.  http://www.pomonaraceway.com/2006/schedule.html

  Dennis has as good a chance as any to make it to Pomona California.  He
  is continually keeping his car in top condition and it shows with the
  results he has achived this year.  All of us afilliated with Electric
  Vehicles can be proud of how far Dennis has taken the CE-V in the NHRA!

  For a more detailed explanation of Dennis Berube, the Current Eliminator V
  and bracket racing, go to the bottom of the following website:
  https://dm3electrics.com/

  Background info:
  "Super Pro" is a category of the type of dragster and
  driver skill level, if you look at the standings:
  http://speedworldmotorplex.com/results.htm
  - you will see Super Pro is the highest category of Bracket racers,
  essentially they are some of the best drivers and cars in bracket
  racing.

  A "Division" is an area of the country - Division 7 is the southwestern
  division.  There is one other electric dragster in Division 7 - Tracy
  Miller, and should be at the competition in Bakersfield CA on October
  13-15.  All the other cars are fueled dragsters.  Bakersfield will be the
  race to find out who is the best in Division 7.
  http://www.nhra.com/aboutnhr/etseries.htm#finals

  We wish you all the luck possible Dennis!!
  Jimmy >> >>

I had a similar problem some months ago and even ordered a new pot for the box.
However it was cured very simply. I rarely floor the pedal, this is an important
point.
My car started playing up with jerky acceleration and also surging when I took
my foot off the pedal. At first I thought it was some weird inductance thing
with the pot cable going close to the motor drive cables. In my frustration I
started flooring the pedal (with the key off) and lo and behold next time I
drove it it was like new. It must have wiped the pot clean or something to
travel through its full extent.
Anyhow, whenever I have the problem now I just floor the pedal (with the power
off) a few times and its fixed.
Hope its that simple for you.
Rod Dilkes

>   I think I agree with you about the quality of the pot in the PB-6
>although I don't have much experience with them. However, I wonder
>about having the exact same failure mode on two pots in short order.
>It  makes me think there may be some other factor in the system
>causing the  failures - perhaps in the controller??? Or maybe it's a
>manufacturing  glitch. I have a call in to the Curtis engineering
>dept to pose this  question...

One thing I have seen is this:
In applications with little stiction (mostly those that don't use a
throttle cable) the shaking of the throttle pedal wears the element
out at the cruise condition.

On my 914 I replace the pot element about once a year due to this.
It's almost due again since it's getting rough. Probably I'll just
switch to the Hall effect pedal once I build a test bench for the
Hairballs.

Stronger return springs and some friction in the system can reduce
the pedal bounce and therefore reduce the wear.

hth,
--
-Otmar-
914 EV, California Poppy,

http://www.CafeElectric.com/
The Zilla factory has moved to Corvallis Oregon.
Now accepting resumes. Please see:
http:

Hello Everybody,

I install my PB-6 about four years ago, and it is still running perfect.

The PB-6 is install inside a heavy duty aluminum extruded support bracket
that surrounds the PB-6.  This is then bolted to another support bracket
that is fasten to the vehicle frame.

The accelerator cable is not directly connected to the PB-6.  The
accelerator cable is held in position with one of those carburator brackets
that would bolt to the base of a carburetor, you can get from Auto World or
Jeg's.

A double adjusting rod ends is than connected to the accelerator cable end
and the other end connected to the PB-6.

I did not like the strength of the small spring return that is on the PB-6.
It's the small spring that has a little catch that pushes against the one of
the PB-6 lever stops.

So all I did to increase the tension of this spring, was to rotated the
spring catch off this stop up to one of the corner screws that hold the
cover on the PB-6.  Change this screw out with a longer one that goes
through a small standoff tube.

I always like a back up on everything, my whole EV is one big back up.  So,
I install a standard spring on to the PB-6 and connected to a bracket that I
can adjust the tension, which is about nothing when use with the PB-6
spring.

When I first received the PB-6, I was alarm at the cheapness of this unit.
I was used to a very heavy industrial super duty water proof unit in cast
aluminum enclosure that have a large adjusting type extruded lever with a
internal adjusting spring and two double external springs.

This thing looks dinky against all the other items on my EV, so I try to
reinforce and enclose it to stabilized it.

> >   I think I agree with you about the quality of the pot in the PB-6
> >although I don't have much experience with them. However, I wonder
> >about having the exact same failure mode on two pots in short order.
> >It  makes me think there may be some other factor in the system
> >causing the  failures - perhaps in the controller??? Or maybe it's a
> >manufacturing  glitch. I have a call in to the Curtis engineering
> >dept to pose this  question...
>
> One thing I have seen is this:
> In applications with little stiction (mostly those that don't use a
> throttle cable) the shaking of the throttle pedal wears the element
> out at the cruise condition.
>
> On my 914 I replace the pot element about once a year due to this.
> It's almost due again since it's getting rough. Probably I'll just
> switch to the Hall effect pedal once I build a test bench for the
> Hairballs.
>
> Stronger return springs and some friction in the system can reduce
> the pedal bounce and therefore reduce the wear.
>
> hth,
> --
> -Otmar-
> 914 EV, California Poppy,
> http://evcl.com/914/
>
> http://www.CafeElectric.com/
> The Zilla factory has moved to Corvallis Oregon.
> Now accepting resumes. Please see:
> http://www.cafeelectric.com/jobs.html

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Larry who is driving my Toyota torcell conversion and plays bass in "Brian's" band ( not mine :-) was late for rehearsal Monday night and when he got there the first words out of his mouth where " one of my guitar student's dad just bought a Tesla !". I had lot's of questions for him but seems wife's aren't the only ones that get tired of hearing about EV's and our leader puts his foot down " NO TALKING ABOUT ELECTRIC CARS WHEN WE ARE PLAYING MUSIC" . I had to wait till after practice to get the details . Larry say the guy probable spends more than the price of the car on landscaping each year , he did show him his EV which I'm sure when you are getting a Tesla , a Toyota loaded up with golf cart batteries is not that impressive. Now the big question , how long till he gets it ? will report as thing happen
Steve Clunn

As you say, I'm sure that *for them* it was a reasonable choice. Of
course as someone said before, $100K isn't that much anymore.

>The solution would actually be a DC-DC run on an accessory pack of higher
>voltage.  So a 16+v pack that regulates down to 14v.

In a typical system with an accessory battery that's charged off of the
traction pack, the accessory battery's energy store kicks in when power
spikes are called for, such as when lights are first turned on, etc.  For
your proposal, then, would you not need a DC-DC converter that could handle
those spikes by itself?

Thanks.

It's rated "20A, single phase"

Jeff Shanab wrote:
Maybe they did limit inrush with a phase angle or some kind of
syncronous rectification, even an inductor on the input could limit it
for AC, perhaps the DC bypasses it.

I'm told it's important to have nickel plating over copper interconects
for these flooded nicads I'm getting to prevent corrosion. So if copper
is a 100 on the relative conductivity scale and nickel is a 5, then why
should the great conducting copper be plated with the crummy conducting
nickel??

Mike

Aluminum 59
Brass 28
Cadmium 19
Chromium 55
Cobalt 16.3
Constantin 3.24
Copper:
Hard drawn 89.5
Annealed 100
Gold 65
Iron:
  Pure 17.7
  Cast 2-12
  Wrought 11.4
Lead 7
Manganin 3.7
Mercury 1.66
Molybdenum 33.2
Nichrome 1.45
Nickel 12-16
Nickel silver 5.3(18%)
Phosphor bronze 36
Platinum 15
Silver 106
Steel 3-15
Tin 13
Titanium 5
Tungsten 28.9
Zinc 28.2

It seems like one time in the past when the pusher/generator/battery trailer
topic was raised, someone mentioned the possibility of hooking a
motorcycle's front wheel fork to the car's hitch, charging the battery pack
off of the motorcycle engine.  I can't remember if the idea was deemed to be
a good one or not.  But since many of the generator trailers developed seem
to be using motorcycle-sized engines, perhaps it would work.  In addition,
you might not have legal issues, since the motorcycle would already be a
registered vehicle, making running it's engine acceptable.  And if you
carried the cycle's front wheel in the truck, then when you got to your
destination, you'd have a bike to travel around on while the car's batteries
were charging off the grid, if need be.

Was there a flaw in the idea?

Thanks.

From: Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: kids EV
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:09:07 -0700 (PDT)

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If I wanted to build a kids-sized car (think 3-5
> year old), what size of
> motor would I need?  I ask because we had to buy a
> new electric weed eater,
> because of parts problems with my old (15 years at
> least) one.  The electric
> motor works fine.  Would I be able to run this on a
> certain amount of DC
> volt, and have it able to run around a 100 to 150 lb
> vehicle including kid?
> (I really don't need another project with all the
> other honey-dos, but you
> have to be prepared.)  I appreciate any comments.
>
> Brian

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____