  1) Re: Lion fires
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: EV List Moderation (was : A123 pack configuration in
  KillaCycle)
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Material science 101
        by "Dmitri Hurik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: New EV board !!!!!
        by "ROBERT GOUDREAU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: kids EV
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) There's a Gen1 Prius with somewhat substantial rear end damage for sale in
Quebec. CAN$6500
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Swiftech pumps
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: EV List Moderation (was : A123 pack configuration in KillaCycle)
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: New EV board !!!!!
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Inrush current limiting the IOTA DLS-55
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: connectors for NiMH batteries?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: dc/dc converter with common ground
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: I don't need a dc-dc converter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: article: Tesla Roadster Sells Out First 100 Cars
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) A note on potentiometers
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: I don't need a dc-dc converter
        by Staffanson Brian J Civ 309 EMXG/QPE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) CurrentEliminator
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) A123 battery fire (was: Lion fires)
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: CurrentEliminator
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: connectors for NiMH batteries?
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: article: Tesla Roadster Sells Out First 100 Cars
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: EV List Moderation (was : A123 pack configuration in KillaCycle)
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: kids EV
        by David Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: connectors for NiMH batteries?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 25) Re: A note on potentiometers
        by Ralph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: article: Tesla Roadster Sells Out First 100 Cars
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: David Roden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:48 am
Subject: EV List Moderation (was : A123 pack configuration in KillaCycle)
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Brian Staffanson  wrote:

"If I wanted to build a kids-sized car (think 3-5 year old), what size of
motor would I need?  <snip>  I appreciate any comments."

I've found that powerwheels are fantastic.  Usually new owners who have more
money than sense pay the $300 or so for new ones, and don't maintain the
battery, so that it dies in less than a year.  By that time the kids have lost
interest because they are so slow.  Then they take them to thrift stores where
I've picked them up for the $1-2 range.  The most I've spent is $5.  You get a
complete vehicle that way.

You pop in a surplus battery like a hawker genesis G13EP (I've also started
using the 13AH "Zeus" AGM's from surpluscenter recently) and make sure you have
a decent 10A 12V charger that is voltage regulated so it doesn't overcharge the
AGM (I use a schumaker with a switch for the battery type - the "deep cycle"
setting regulates at 14.4V, which is perfect), and it'll run twice as long as
stock.

An aside here - I've had a lot of fun jump-starting things from that little
hawker while it was in the powerwheels.  Talk about an EV grin!  Just imagine
the face of anyone watching!

If you want to beef it up, rewire it with 10 gage, and put in a self-resetting
circuit breaker to make sure the current doesn't exceed 30 amps (I think that
is the stock CB rating).  Mine have never tripped a breaker.

Most of them use some combination of buttons and levers to serve as a 4P3T
switch, which is wired for 2 forward speeds (series/parallel switching of
either the motors or the batteries depending on the vehicle) and one reverse
(series mode but reversed polarity).  The ones with a lever sometimes
incorporated a mechanical lock pin to keep younger riders from reaching into
the parallel (faster) gear.  Take out the switch to access and remove the pin.

You can upgrade the 6V ones to 12V, but watch the gearset as described below.
The increased torque tears the 6V gearsets up.

Some powerwheels tips:  If you get one with a bad body (they disintegrate if
left in the sun), strip the drive units, wheels, etc.  The drive units all use
pretty much the same gearset, but some have a metal gear pressed onto the motor
shaft, and some clip on a plastic gear.  The plastic ones strip out in the
bore.  Substitute the ones with the metal gear (they were available surplus a
while back), and you will be happier.  The motors have various failure modes.
I have seen the fan come loose from the shaft, causing the motor to overheat,
and I have seen the wiring tabs come loose due to a poor soldering job at the
factory.  www.mendingshed.com is a good place to get stuff like the acellerator
switch.  Lastly, the best way to get the wheels to stay on is to use a drill
press to (carefully!) drill a hole through the axle so you can put in a washer
and a cotter pin instead of those cheesy push nuts to hold the wheels on.

Search the archives for the subject line "fun with powerwheels" for more great
posts.  Joe Smalley has one where the only stock part left is the body.  He's
seen his kids and all their friends (6 kids total I think) ride it all day long
- at the same time!.  36V, I think, plus 2 added batteries in front for ballast
(the jeeps tend to tip up with too much torque!)

David Brandt

For that price, you can get an electroless nickel plating kit.
There's almost always one on Ebay listed by Caswell---you can also order direct
from them as I did.
I've been using this method to plate many of the vintage handles, screws, etc.
on my 1921 Milburn.  I'm guessing that the kit comes with enough nickel plate
solution to plate a good 100sqin with at least a couple mils of nickel plate.

The electroless method ensures even plating on all the surfaces and no worries
about electrode location.  So far I've been pleased with the stuff...and I was
ready to use our local platers (of which there are several in Portland), but it
was clear that they were into bigger jobs than my handful of small parts.  So I
became a plater.

-Myles Twete, Portland

From: "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> For reference:
>
> For my upcoming Nicad pack I called the local plater today and it's
> $72 for a minimum lot charge. So I can hand him a box full of parts
> and get it done in 2 days pretty cheap. I may be able to recycle my
> lead acid pack interconnects for this project as they are mirror
> polished copper that's still in nice shape.
>
> Mike
>

> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Lee Hart wrote:
> >
> > Jim Coate wrote:
> > > where does one get nickel (plated) battery lugs?
> >
> > Nickel or nickel-plated terminals are used for high temperature
> > applications as well as batteries. All the big terminal manufacturer's
> > catalogs list them. The selection is smaller, though; you may not find
> > exactly the wire size / hole size combination you want.
> >
> > Nickel is pretty easy to electroplate. It is one of the steps in chrome
> > plating, so most electroplating shops can do it. You could get a bunch
> > of copper terminals of the right size, and have them plated.
> >
> > > And... are the terminals on a NiMH battery *solid* nickel?
> >
> > The ones on the actual battery are probably solid nickel. It's not that
> > expensive a metal. The terminals may be plated, as nickel is fairly hard
> > and stiff; thick nickel terminals won't crimp very well (too much
> > spring-back). The plating can be as thick as you like, so no reasonable
> > amount of polishing will wear through it.
> > --
> > "Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed
> > citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever
> > has!" -- Margaret Mead
> > --
> > Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Hi Eric,

Has anyone developed a opto-isolator so there won't be dead spots? You know
sooner or later a potentiometer on the floor is going fail!

-Ralph

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:13:30 -0700
Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've spent a fair amount of time repairing audio equipment.  One of the
> more common problems is "scratching" in the volume knob, or dead spots,
> or weird jumps.  Replacing the pot is one option. Often a shot of what
> used to be called "Color TV Tuner Cleaner", or "TV-Tuner/Control Cleaner
> & Lubricant" from Radio Shack would do the trick.  It's essentially
> Dichloroflouroethane, mineral oil, and silicone lube.
>
> Shoot it inside the pot housing, and run the pot back and forth through
> it's full range several times.  This product leaves a film of
> (nonconductive) oil behind.  Works like a champ.  Best way to be sure
> your pot is smooth again is to wire it up to a power supply, and put the
> wiper connection to an o-scope, and see if it sweeps smoothly.  Kinda
> overkill, though.
>
> WRT the "Hall Effect Potentiometers," the problem with these is that
> they are _truly_ potentiometers.  They provide a variable 0-5V at the
> "wiper" output which is relational to the shaft position.
> Unfortunately, what most controller manufacturers refer to as a
> "potentiometer" is in fact a rheostat (actually, a potentiometer wired
> as a rheostat).  The hall effect pots cannot (directly) be used to
> replace the pot used by a controller.  It's probably possible to use the
> output of an HE pot to control a transconductance amplifier, which would
> emulate a rheostat.

Steve,

So I take it from the context of your post that this guy who just bought a
Tesla lives somewhere there in or near the Ft. Pierce area, is that right?

Hot dang, so you mean we're going to have a Tesla right here in South
Florida?  Awesome!  Do you think maybe we could get him to bring it out to
Moroso and run it down the track?  Of course it wouldn't be in time for BBB
2007, but he should have it time for BBB 2008.  Something to look forward
to!

To answer your question, Steve, about when he will get it, my understanding
is sometime around July 2007.

As for Bob Rice's question about whether any of us in our extended "family"
know anyone else who has bought a Tesla, I know a few people who are
seriously considering it and trying to get together the $100k to do it.
$50k seems a lot more doable for some, but they're trying to reach for the
$100k.

One person who is in our extended "family" here is Rick Woodbury, and he
definitely knows someone who has bought a Tesla, because that person is his
first (and so far, *only*, from what I've heard) customer who has bought one
of his Tangos, namely George Clooney, who dropped $100k for a Tesla, which
of course is pocket change for him.  In fact, Woodbury drove Clooney's Tango
to the big Tesla premiere/unveiling in Santa Monica a few weeks ago, where
he was showing it off just outside the venue.

I just got a call from someone this morning who told me about one of his
customers that wanted to buy a Tesla but apparently said the first batch of
100 cars is already sold out and it would take too long to get in the queue
for the next batch or something like that, so he is commissioning this guy
and his company to build him an electric sports car with similar driving
range and performance in that same price range, ~$100k.

Charles Whalen

On Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:55 AM, Steve Clunn wrote:

Larry who is driving my Toyota torcell conversion and plays bass in
"Brian's" band ( not mine :-)  was late for rehearsal Monday night and
when he got there the first words out of his mouth where " one of my
guitar student's dad just bought a Tesla !".  I had lot's of questions for
him but seems wife's aren't the only ones that get tired of hearing about
EV's and our leader puts his foot down " NO TALKING ABOUT ELECTRIC CARS
WHEN WE ARE PLAYING MUSIC" . I had to wait till after practice to get the
details . Larry say the guy probable spends more than the price of the car
on landscaping each year , he did show him his EV which I'm sure when you
are getting a Tesla , a Toyota loaded up with golf cart batteries is not
that impressive. Now the big question , how long till he gets it ?  will
report as thing happen
Steve Clunn

As you say, I'm sure that *for them* it was a reasonable choice. Of
course as someone said before, $100K isn't that much anymore.