  1) RE: Material science 101
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Put a Plug in It
  3) Re: A123 battery fire (was: Lion fires)
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: kids EV
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Ok, so I NEED a DC-DC converter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: I don't need a dc-dc converter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: New EV board !!!!!
        by "David J. Hrivnak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: EV List Moderation (was : A123 pack configuration in KillaCycle)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Question regarding controllers and potboxes.
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: I don't need a dc-dc converter
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: CurrentEliminator
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) Another motor find
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: I don't need a dc-dc converter
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Painting battery boxes
        by Storm Connors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Battery oil
        by Storm Connors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Real EVs on the road
        by "England Nathan-r25543" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Real EVs on the road
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Painting battery boxes
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Real EVs on the road
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: EV List Moderation (was : A123 pack configuration in KillaCycle)
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Swiftech pumps
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Question regarding controllers and potboxes.
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Generator Trailer
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) range rockers
That is true but not the main reason.

I thought that Chris' experience was clear enough
to convince that nickel plating was a good idea?

IIRC he said: copper and aluminum disappears quickly
in the vicinity of the flooded NiCads (ask me how
I know).
So, unless you want your interconnects to magically
increase gauge until your car does not drive anymore
(within months, not years) then I think you should
follow the advice to protect the weak links and
nickel-plate them.

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

 Date:  8/23/06 1:10:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jack Murray)
 Sender:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:    ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

 Indeed very impressive performance by Dennis Berube and his Current
 Eliminator, not just going fast for an electric, but winning bracket
 races with it.

 Are only electric cars going to be running at the NEDRA late night
 nationals this weekend?

 Jack >>
Thanks for the comments Jack.Its too bad that other EVs up there in the
Northwest and around the country do not take advantage of racing the ice
cars(test
lane is NOT racing).NHRA and Summit racing offer great programs in all classes
to as slow as 21 seconds in the qt.mile.Nedra worked hard to get their rules
adopted by NHRA and I seem to be the only one taking advantage of them(even
though I am no longer a nedra member).There are thousands of dollars to be won
in bracket racing every weekend around the country.Bracket racers are 97% of
the drag racers in the country.Bracket racing puts rich and poor, slow and
fast,evs and ices together fair and square.If there are any EVs in arizona that
would like to learn bracket racing I would be more than willing to help.

                                      Dennis Berube

A BIGGER DC MOTOR BY RAYMOND Item number: 220019783201

  I was going to buy this one, but I won't pay more than $100 for a used 36 V
lift motor, so here you have it.  Happy bidding.  I promise not to bid against
you.

  Steve

On Aug 22, 2006, at 9:36 PM, Jack Murray wrote:

The fact remains that if you use the traction pack for accessories it is reducing your range. Now if you have more range than you need, then using the traction pack for accessories is not a big deal and would weigh less than adding an accessory pack. But from what I see, range is always an issue, and an "easy" way to extend it is to essentially add more batteries by having an accessory pack, and using NiMH effectively lowers the weight of the additional battery capacity (over lead) it could even be a lithium pack as well, since it is independent of the traction system.

Sure, you can extend your range by adding another battery. I think that has been well established.

You can use it to power your 12v system for a gain of perhaps 1 mile per hour of night time operation (headlights and heater fan.) You will need a fairly large 12v battery to handle this duty somewhat effectively (I would suspect at least a 40 lb. Optima.) I'm only seeing a minimal range gain and the need for another charging system.

You can add one more battery to the vehicle's traction pack and likely get more out of it. Then you put in a DC>DC converter and have a worry free (and no separate charger) 12v system. If you want (or need) a backup battery it can be a lot smaller (and lighter.)

Perhaps you are running an odd voltage or want to stuff a DC>DC where it will be exposed to the weather. But if not, the Iota AC>DC converters (that happen to work on DC) look like the "new Todd" for EVers (the Todd used to be one of the most common converters used, before they first changed the design so it wouldn't work on DC and then went out of business.)

I drive an EV with a Todd and no 12v battery! (weight savings :-)

Paul G.

I am putting battery boxes made of 1/16 sheet metal in
an 86 Suzuki Samurai. Is there any paint that would
protect them from the inevitable sulfuric acid?
storm connors

Someone mentioned the Edison Batteries using battery
oil to keep air out of the battery and to cut down on
passing electrolyte out of the battery.
This seemed pretty logical to me.   For that matter,
batteries that last 40 years or more seem pretty
logical too.

It was mentioned that the Edison batteries were
inefficient. Replacing the battery pack every 3 years
is pretty inefficient.

Anyway, I found a modern offering of battery oil.
http://www.thermoilbatteries.com/index.htm

Has anyone any experience with this stuff? Is it any
more than high priced mineral oil?
Storm Connors

I would like to hear what folks are truly running on the road and off
the road. This is not a discussion about why one setup might be better
than another just the results of what is actually in use.
I would also like to know what the drag racers are running but due to
competition they may not want to post anything, I understand this. Any
info is appreciated.

If possible I would like to know vehicle specs:

Type of vehicle?

Power train:
What type of batteries?
What controller?
What voltage?
Motor?

Range:
How many miles?
Average speed?
Top speed for how long?
Worst range (maybe due to speed or hills)
Your best range and how you accomplished this
How did you measure you range and speed?
Include the terrain you drive on.

Recharge:
How long do you charge?
What charger do you use?
Do you use regs?

Other Specs:
Vehicle weight?
How often used?
How many miles per week or month or year do you drive roughly?
Best life you got on a pack of batteries and what were they?
Drag slip times?

Feel free to add additional information on what is in use.
If this information has already been done please point me to the archive
or website.

Thank you,

Nate

All of this is posted at the EVAlbum.com.
Enjoy!

wrote:

> I would like to hear what folks are truly running on
> the road and off
> the road. This is not a discussion about why one
> setup might be better
> than another just the results of what is actually in
> use.
> I would also like to know what the drag racers are
> running but due to
> competition they may not want to post anything, I
> understand this. Any
> info is appreciated.
>
> If possible I would like to know vehicle specs:
>
> Type of vehicle?
>
> Power train:
> What type of batteries?
> What controller?
> What voltage?
> Motor?
>
> Range:
> How many miles?
> Average speed?
> Top speed for how long?
> Worst range (maybe due to speed or hills)
> Your best range and how you accomplished this
> How did you measure you range and speed?
> Include the terrain you drive on.
>
> Recharge:
> How long do you charge?
> What charger do you use?
> Do you use regs?
>
> Other Specs:
> Vehicle weight?
> How often used?
> How many miles per week or month or year do you
> drive roughly?
> Best life you got on a pack of batteries and what
> were they?
> Drag slip times?
>

> Feel free to add additional information on what is
> in use.
> If this information has already been done please
> point me to the archive
> or website.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Nate

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

I'm using this stuff called Pro Flex, made by Geocell. It's a clear rubberized
roofing product. It
has the consistency of honey, you just paint it on. I do have to test it's
chemical resistance
before I go crazy with it. Got it at the Ace Hardware store. For some steel
framework I've built
I'm also using some spray on automotive undercoating I got at the local auto
parts store.

Dave Cover

--- Storm Connors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am putting battery boxes made of 1/16 sheet metal in
> an 86 Suzuki Samurai. Is there any paint that would
> protect them from the inevitable sulfuric acid?
> storm connors

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Check out evalbum.com  all the specs you want in a database.

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

[...]

BTW : If you see the little warning block stateing that the "message was
truncated" and you are in digest mode, Although it refers only to the
offending email, Some email clients don't display anything after it or
some arbitrary chunk after it. I had to view source to see the rest once
or twice. This has either gone away or I changed something in my setup
and for me it is a non-issue, but you may want to "view source"

Actually I decided to try the danger-den mag 2 pump, it is between the
two swiftechs in stated performance.

http://www.crazypc.com/products/93340.html

but I am worried about the spec sheets on this site

2amps at 12V is 24W not 8W, probably a cut-n-paste error

I will be going down to the UPS depot to pick it up tonight since the
driver in my area has missed 2 arranged deliveries.

At 02:55 PM 23/08/06 -0700, Eric wrote:
The recent discussion of potboxes vs HEPI, etc, led me to a simple question:

Is the potbox input a 4-20ma current loop, or something similar, or do the controllers actually measure the ohms to determine throttle? I know the distinction is a bit contrived.

I'm wondering if a standard 4-20ma current transmitter could be used in conjunction with a HE potentiometer.

G'day Eric, and all

A potentiometer is a 3-wire variable resistor, where usually a fixed voltage is applied across the ends of it and a variable voltage is taken off the wiper. This allows the output voltage to range fully across the supply voltage.

A rheostat is a two-wire variable resistor where the voltage is applied across a resistor network tha includes the variable component in one side, and a fixed component on the other. This limits the range that the output can go across, typically from one side of the supply to 50%.

A 4..20mA signal needs to be taken across a resistor to generate a voltage, in an automotive environment the available voltage is inconveniently low for normal 4..20mA application, plus the derived voltage is typically 1 to 5V or 2 to 10V. Curtis controllers designed for this application have no problem with this, and are used in industrial application all the time with 4..20mA. However on-road EV controllers are not usually designed around this offset zero, so that is an issue to consider before attempting to use a 4..20mA signal.

Hall effect throttles that I've used on mobility scooters and similar application are often 0.2V to 5V or some other similar range (I don't look that closely as they are usually a manufacturers' part).

Hope this helps

[Technik] James

Very true. CA has its own regs on small engines... and other states may
follow, since Senator Bond was unsuccessful in adding his "pollution is
good" rider in 2004. EPA has finally gotten clear of the Senator Bond, and
will now be setting new small engine specs. It does help to run small
engines on alternate fuels, such as bottled gas, or so I'm told. It's hard
to believe some of the figures "out there." (Some environmental groups have
the engines as "dirty" as running my 60's VW bug, I'd guess. <g>)

http://www.planetsave.com/ps_mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6862&Itemid=33
is a pretty good article.

>From the EPA: "Without new pollution controls, engines under 50 horsepower
would account for 18 percent of smog-forming emissions from mobile sources
by 2020, the agency has estimated."

But they'll probably never come close to being as clean as the big ICE's...
unless we are willing to pay a *lot* more for our small engines. Apparently,
cleaning up the engines will only add about $40 to their cost, in volume,
from another article.