  1) article: French posties go electric
        by Paul Wujek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: how businesses work
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: ACIM power (was:"largish" brushless motors available) - long reply
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: fuse size
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Transmission Choice
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Killacycle in DesignFax online
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: DC Systems 1200 Overheating
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: ACIM power (was:"largish" brushless motors available) - long reply
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: adding new battery to old(er) pack
        by "Deanne Mott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Re: adding new battery to old(er) pack
        by "Deanne Mott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Earth Day
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Re: Earth Day
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 21) Printing cars (was: how businesses work)
        by Eric Olson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: ACIM power (was:"largish" brushless motors available) - long reply
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
The French post office has put out tenders for the most EVs ever ordered:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=16048

--
Paul Wujek   ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Anyone who would like to get a primer on OSS should go out and find
the paper "The Cathedral and The Bazaar" By Eric S. Raymond. Just
google "Cathedral Bazaar" and you'll find it.

The reason The Bazaar works with software specifically is because most
of the work and testing does not involve material costs, just man
power costs, which are generally donated through enthusiasts, and
through folks who needed to 'scratch a particular itch'. The devo is
done on commodity machines that are around for other purposes and have
been paid for either personally, or are deprecated equipment bought at
discount. Once something gets good enough you get vendors selling
packaged software in return for maintenance, like RedHat and etc.

Once you have to bring in real material costs, it gets very tricky.
You simply cannot have a good bazaar unless you have complete free
flow of work and costs throughout, and that would be really hard with
something like an EV.

The -design- element could be set up this way, of course. I would say
that EE components and ideas could easily be Open Sourced and
developed through a bazaar, and individuals would then test them out
on conversion EVs, made from commodity items. Since the cost is in the
battery, it is easy enough for test purposes to use small packs and
extrapolate range and performance from short test runs. So, this sort
of thing is possible for an EV, I believe.

I do think, though, that it would be much more effective if only
elements were designed this way, such as a CAN capable BLDC
motor/controller made from commodity parts, a programmable BMS,  or a
programmable charger. All separate projects related to the overall
design which should be vehicle agnostic in general, and perhaps have a
sub branch that is vehicle type specific.

It would also help if a racing team developed that used the concepts
from the project, to give juice to the general Bazaar, and to create
overall credibility.

I wonder if anyone ever melted a rotor on a Solectria or GM EV1.  I think those
had aluminum rotors.

  Jeff

Kaido Kert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  On 4/17/07, Lee Hart wrote:
> Jeff Major wrote:
> > Not that rotor temperature is not important, but these cast rotors have no
> > insulation. Melting point of aluminum is 660 deg C. The stator limit should
> > be in the 150 to180 d C range. Keep your stator within limit and the rotor
> > will probably be all right.
>
> You run into problems with the rotor windings at very high torques
> and/or very low speeds. If you're generating full torque at stall, for
> example, the stator windings stay pretty cool buy you can *melt* the
> rotor windings!

Thats what i was thinking as well. Continuous low-speed operation
tends to cause issues with inverter-driven conveyor motors for
example, even at no loads. The case was much worse with older variable
V/hz inverters, with vector control things seem to be somewhat better.
In EV app you will never know the exact operating conditions
beforehand, you could be stuck at low speed uphill crawl for a long
time, so extra monitoring for all possible operating parameters is a
wise thing to do, plus it doesnt usually cost anything in hardware (
microcontrollers and storage is dirt cheap compared to a blown motor )

-kert

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

How do you know if a motor has NEMA-A rotor or NEMA-B rotor? Also I
noticed there are C & D as well, which would be more suited for an EV?

On 4/18/07, Dale Ulan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Now how do we pump up that same motor to say, 200hp?  Increase the hz?
 What's the absolute upper limits?

At a constant motor speed, If you maintain a constant voltage
and increase the frequency of the VFD, torque goes up until
you reach the breakdown torque point. All this time, the motor
current is rising, and the current flowing in the rotor (and
the frequency of the current flowing in the rotor) is increasing.
At the breakdown torque point, torque will start to fall, even
as you increase the frequency. At about 80% of maximum torque,
the motor efficiency is acceptable. Above this, losses reduce
efficiency a lot. If you maintain the same voltage, you can
approximately double (with a NEMA-B rotor), or approximately
triple (with a NEMA-A rotor) the torque produced. Roughly,
if you double the torque (by raising the frequency a few Hz
to get you on the maximum torque point without a high efficiency
penalty), you'll take double the current (at a fixed voltage).

To get the torque higher, we may raise the voltage of the motor.
Note that the current will not rise appreciably at zero slip.
If we, say, double the voltage on the motor, the torque vs.
slip curve roughly doubles - ie you get twice the torque. But
to achieve this, the current will double. And if you already
increased the torque output by raising the slip frequency to
its limit, you'll take double that current, but be making four
times the rated torque of the motor. At this point, the windings
are getting pretty warm, but for a short period of time, it
might be ok. This is what I think is the limiting thing that
will affect how much power you can squeeze out, and it'll be
motor specific. At some point you saturate the magnetics of
the stator (or the rotor) and then you get little more torque.
Also, if you raise the current level in the rotor too much,
you can melt the 'winding'. Remember that there will be
hundreds or thousands of amperes flowing through that rotor.
The rotor 'winding' is usually made by casting aluminum into
slots in the rotor laminations, and that is a rather substantial
piece of aluminum conductor.

To get more power again, we can take our 1800 RPM motor and run
it at 6000 RPM. It won't fly apart if it's balanced. We just
raised our power three times. Except we need three times the
voltage as we did before. Now, that's a limiting factor.
If we started with a 230V AC motor, but now we're asking for
six times that voltage... the motor's windings won't hold
that in. So we need to reconfigure the motor's winding to
maybe 60 or 70V so we can maintain a battery voltage less than
400V. More winding sections in parallel, and fewer turns of
bigger wire. When you run out of voltage, you need to accept
that the torque will drop as RPM's go up, but the power will
remain roughly the same. That's how Solectria (and Alan Cocconi)
manage to use a fixed gearbox. They set up the motor to have
constant torque below some speed, and above that, the torque
drops but the power remains constant. If you pick that speed
to be, say, 30mph, the torque to the wheels will drop just
as it does when you upshift a standard transmission. This happens
because you run out of volts. Note that a series-wound DC
motor does the same thing when in a current-limiting PWM
controller, except that spinning up to 13,000 RPM isn't
really a great thing to do to brushes...

So, it's relatively easy (and possible) to get ten times the
output power of an ACIM. It's been done - the Valentine book
on VFD's had them using a 256 frame 20hp motor at the
100kW+ level. They were limited by 400A IGBT's.
Now, what's the catch (besides getting
enough voltage and/or current to the motor)? If you saturate
the magnetics of the motor, it becomes much less efficient,
and it's a case where you double the current but get maybe
10% more torque because most of the new magnetic field just
gets lost because the steel won't carry it. That's motor
specific, and the step where that is going to be limited
will be where you raise the voltage applied to the motor to
make the torque vs. slip curve steeper.

But it's not a case of just increasing Hz or increasing
voltage or increasing current. You have to do each in a
carefully coordinated manner.

-Dale

--
www.electric-lemon.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- If Bruce or anyone else needs fuses for their EV, James Massey sent me some from Australia to sell for him. Most are DC rated. Here's a list:

The following are Australian and British cylindrical fuses (G&G, MEM, English Electric, etc.) Dimensions are the body diameter, but all have flat blades on each end with screw holes -- they are normally mounted to a screw terminal block, so no special fuseholder is needed. These are old spares; unused, but dusty and knocked around a bit:

 $1  2a 250vdc 7/8" dia. x 2"
 $1  4a 250vdc 7/8" dia. x 2"
 $1 10a 250vac 9/16" dia. x 1-1/4"
 $2 10a 250vdc 9/16" dia. x 1-1/4"
 $2 15a 440vac 9/16" dia. x 1-1/4"
 $3 15a 600vac 5/16" dia. x 2-1/8"
 $4 16a 250vdc 9/16" dia. x 1-1/4"
 $5 25a 250vdc 7/8" dia. x 2"
 $5 32a 250vdc 7/8" dia. x 2"
 $5 40a 250vdc 1" dia. x 2-1/8"
 $6 60a 230vdc 1" dia. x 2-1/8"
 $6 63a 250vdc 1" dia. x 2-1/8"
 $7 63a 460vdc 1" dia. x 2-1/8"
 $7 80a 460vdc 1-1/4" dia. x 2-1/2"
 $8 100a 350vdc 1-1/4" dia. x 2-1/2"
 $9 160a 350vdc 1-1/4" dia. x 2-1/2"
$10 200a 250vdc 1-1/2" dia. x 2-3/4"
$15 315a 460vdc 2" dia. x 2-3/4"
$20 400a 400vdc 2-3/8" dia. x 3"

The following are standard Bussman fast-blow semiconductor fuses, new and still in the box, so you can easily find complete specs. They are all cylindrical fuses, with flat blades on each end with holes for screw mounting.

 $2   5a 600vac 9/16" dia x 1-7/8", Bussman KAC 5
$20 250a 250vdc 1" dia x 7/8", Bussman FWX 250
$25 300a 150vdc 1" dia. x 7/8", Bussman FWA 300

Prices do not include shipping, but most weigh only a few ounces.

Let me know OFF LIST if you're interested. They'll go on a first-come first serve basis.

Pestka, Dennis J wrote:
I'm considering using a different transmission in my 1965 Datsun
pickup conversion. My fear is getting parts for the stock 65 if
I tear up anything. The ICE is only rated at 60 HP, and I don't
really know how bulletproof the transmission is.

I converted a 1974 Datsun pickup, with the stock transmission and hydraulic clutch. I used an aircraft starter/generator and contactor controller, so some of the starts were pretty brutal (it would easily spin the tires). In the two years I drove it, I never had any problems with the clutch or transmission.

I'm looking at a 9" Advanced with 1200A Raptor controller.

These parts are going to be capable of producing some *serious* torque. Especially given the age of the transmission, I think I would worry about breaking it, too. Is this a daily driver EV, or a go-fast racing EV?

For a daily driver, I'd turn down the current limit on the controller to limit torque, and leave the stock transmission and clutch.

For racing, or to use the full output current of the controller, I think you'll have to replace the transmission (and perhaps the rear axle) with something significantly stronger.

--- Begin Message --- Wow! thanks for pointing this one out. This is an uber-awesome article. It is a rare thing when they actually get all the facts right. :-)

The story about the latest KillaCycle record has been bouncing all over the web. I have seen articles written in all sorts of webzines, blogs, and newsletters in many different languages including Chinese, Russian, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, and a few languages I have not been able to decipher.

It is good that we finally managed to get a decent team picture!

Bill Dube'

At 08:30 AM 4/18/2007, you wrote:
Yet another Killacycle article in the technical press.

http://www.manufacturingcenter.com/dfx/news/stories/feature-5.asp

Lynn

See my 100% Factory Built S10E at:

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/722

notify the sender by email if you are not the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute this message or its contents or enclosures to any other person and any such actions

Kaido Kert wrote:
If they expect a 100K mile battery before any performance loss is
noticed, then isn't that a deal killer in and of itself?

Never mind that *all* of GM's other cars have lead-acid batteries that need to be replaced every few years. Isn't that a deal killer?

Of course not! If the price of the replacement is low enough, who cares if it will need a few replacment sets of batteries over the vehicle's life.

If GM were smarter, they'd *lease* the battery pack. They'd include servicing for it each time the car comes in for its 3000-mile regular maintenance (oil changes, etc.). Put in a good battery management system that tells the mechanic how each battery is doing, and whether it needs replacement or not.

This should make everyone happy. GM can use dirt-cheap lead-acid batteries that only last 10,000 miles, and so offer a low-ball price to sell the car. The dealers are guaranteed work, servicing the batteries (adding water and replacing one now and then is far easier than changing oil or spark plugs). Customers are happy, because the lease lets them avoid worries about "what if the battery dies?".

I don't know of any battery that can do 2500 charges without serious
performance loss, more like 1000 charges.

Nicad and nimh batteries have both amply demonstrated that they can do this. They have now been in the field for decades, in large numbers of applications. A few vehicles with lithiums have even done so, though with unobtainable cost-is-no-object batteries.

--
The perfect is the enemy of the good

The Raptor 1200s should live in 90 Deg weather and still make many hundreds
of amps.

I have never seen my 1200 make less than 500 amps Smokin' hot Even on the
return road from drag racing...

If you can't make 75 amps, and it won't burn the skin off you hands touching
it.. then it has a serious thermal sensing Failure.

Peter Senkowsky now handles Raptor issues.
I am not certain what is buisness line is.. So I am not publishing his Cell
phone number.

>From what I have heard the Temp sensors fail from time to time. This is a
cheap fix..If you know what you are looking for.

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro

From: "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Excellent GM Volt video
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:47:18 -0400

[...]

MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.  Enter to win today. http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline

    damon> Think about it, the battery pack is a direct replacement for the
    damon> gas tank.  How much do you think most gas tanks cost to
    damon> manufacture?

That's apples and oranges.  The battery pack is the direct replacement for
the gas tank, all the gas you have to put in it and a big chunk of the ICE
(the fuel system anyway).

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/
"The hippies and the hipsters did some great stuff in the sixties,

Hiya,
do you know of any EV related stuff going on this weekend?

I know the denver nature museum is having some stuff, but it sounded like
it was mostly water conservation and solar energy.

Thanks :)

Ack! ignore me... I accidently sent this to the list -_-;

Timothy Balcer wrote:
> Once you have to bring in real material costs, it gets very tricky.
> You simply cannot have a good bazaar unless you have complete free
> flow of work and costs throughout, and that would be really hard with
> something like an EV.

Good points -- but this maybe not be hard for long. Although it's not quite here yet, the cost of material production will eventually get very close to free with open source projects like this: http://www.reprap.org

I can imagine a large version of this that could print the body and (most) non-electrical parts for a Sunrise or FreedomEV.

An initial todo list for an EV:
  - Make a much larger reprap machine
- Make a reprap nozzle that prints with a different material (and select the appropriate material). I'm not sure if the composites currently being used for the Sunrise or FreedomEV would be printable. - Get a digital version of the Sunrise or FreedomEV body (and other parts) by using a large CT scan, or designing one in 3D by hand.

  - Print the parts and put the EV together. :D

Note: I haven't yet worked with reprap or similar tools, but plan to try it out in my spare time.

Eric

Timothy Balcer wrote:
> Anyone who would like to get a primer on OSS should go out and find
> the paper "The Cathedral and The Bazaar" By Eric S. Raymond. Just
> google "Cathedral Bazaar" and you'll find it.
>
> The reason The Bazaar works with software specifically is because most
> of the work and testing does not involve material costs, just man
> power costs, which are generally donated through enthusiasts, and
> through folks who needed to 'scratch a particular itch'. The devo is
> done on commodity machines that are around for other purposes and have
> been paid for either personally, or are deprecated equipment bought at
> discount. Once something gets good enough you get vendors selling
> packaged software in return for maintenance, like RedHat and etc.
>
> Once you have to bring in real material costs, it gets very tricky.
> You simply cannot have a good bazaar unless you have complete free
> flow of work and costs throughout, and that would be really hard with
> something like an EV.
>
> The -design- element could be set up this way, of course. I would say
> that EE components and ideas could easily be Open Sourced and
> developed through a bazaar, and individuals would then test them out
> on conversion EVs, made from commodity items. Since the cost is in the
> battery, it is easy enough for test purposes to use small packs and
> extrapolate range and performance from short test runs. So, this sort
> of thing is possible for an EV, I believe.
>
> I do think, though, that it would be much more effective if only
> elements were designed this way, such as a CAN capable BLDC
> motor/controller made from commodity parts, a programmable BMS,  or a
> programmable charger. All separate projects related to the overall
> design which should be vehicle agnostic in general, and perhaps have a
> sub branch that is vehicle type specific.
>
> It would also help if a racing team developed that used the concepts
> from the project, to give juice to the general Bazaar, and to create
> overall credibility.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Yeah, I know, but the battery is exponentially more expensive then a gas tank, and their purpose in the overall system is the same. Obviously the whole system is different, but not necessarily less expensive for an electric motor/controller combo.

I'm not against EVs I just don't expect anything worthwhile to be for sale anytime soon if ever.

I will say, that my teenage son couldn't be more excited about the EV we are building for him, and all of his friends think it is going to be cool too.

If you really want to do something worthwhile, get a kid involved with EVs. They are who will be driving the marketplace of the future.

damon

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 13:29:44 -0500

damon> Think about it, the battery pack is a direct replacement for the
    damon> gas tank.  How much do you think most gas tanks cost to
    damon> manufacture?

That's apples and oranges.  The battery pack is the direct replacement for
the gas tank, all the gas you have to put in it and a big chunk of the ICE
(the fuel system anyway).

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/
"The hippies and the hipsters did some great stuff in the sixties,
but the geeks pulled their weight too." -- Billy Bragg

Interest Rates Fall Again! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18679&moid=7581

Would premium efficiency motors normally be class A rotor? I'm looking
at motors on ebay and frequently a lot of information is missing so
I'm wondering if there are other ways to identify the rotor. Is it
possible to determine the rotor by looking at the slip, class A rotors
having less slip?