  1) Re: how businesses work
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Need for Speed (was RE: Silly Tweety!) .. ev is better than i.c.e.
vehicles !
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Transmission Choice
        by "Pestka, Dennis J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: What Parts Weigh
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Forklift Motor Choice
        by "childreypa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Battery charges and mileage
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Warp9 max motor voltage?
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Jay Caplan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Battery charges and mileage
        by Henry Heng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Battery charges and mileage
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: NEMA 4 boxes for contactors
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: "largish" brushless motors available
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Battery charges and mileage
        by Henry Heng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Killacycle in DesignFax online
        by "Adams, Lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Forklift Motor Choice
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) ACIM power (was:"largish" brushless motors available) - long reply
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Transmission Choice
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Forklift Motor Choice
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Excellent GM Volt video
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
i guess it IS on topic to discuss 'how businesses work' in the
context of our central subject : "EV"

i guess it is OFF topic to discuss linux and linus .. so it is a good
idea to discuss it off list .. directly (send copies to me too .. i would
like to be witness to the for/against flow of words) .. and then send
the final position of agreement/disagreement to this list

i also see things the same way .. "Open Source" design of EVs IS
taking place ....

..peekay

From: "childreypa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Forklift Motor Choice
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 07:53:15 -0400

Hey everyone,
[...]

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon. http://games.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmemailtaglineapril07
Now how do we pump up that same motor to say, 200hp?  Increase the hz?
 What's the absolute upper limits?

At a constant motor speed, If you maintain a constant voltage
and increase the frequency of the VFD, torque goes up until
you reach the breakdown torque point. All this time, the motor
current is rising, and the current flowing in the rotor (and
the frequency of the current flowing in the rotor) is increasing.
At the breakdown torque point, torque will start to fall, even
as you increase the frequency. At about 80% of maximum torque,
the motor efficiency is acceptable. Above this, losses reduce
efficiency a lot. If you maintain the same voltage, you can
approximately double (with a NEMA-B rotor), or approximately
triple (with a NEMA-A rotor) the torque produced. Roughly,
if you double the torque (by raising the frequency a few Hz
to get you on the maximum torque point without a high efficiency
penalty), you'll take double the current (at a fixed voltage).

To get the torque higher, we may raise the voltage of the motor.
Note that the current will not rise appreciably at zero slip.
If we, say, double the voltage on the motor, the torque vs.
slip curve roughly doubles - ie you get twice the torque. But
to achieve this, the current will double. And if you already
increased the torque output by raising the slip frequency to
its limit, you'll take double that current, but be making four
times the rated torque of the motor. At this point, the windings
are getting pretty warm, but for a short period of time, it
might be ok. This is what I think is the limiting thing that
will affect how much power you can squeeze out, and it'll be
motor specific. At some point you saturate the magnetics of
the stator (or the rotor) and then you get little more torque.
Also, if you raise the current level in the rotor too much,
you can melt the 'winding'. Remember that there will be
hundreds or thousands of amperes flowing through that rotor.
The rotor 'winding' is usually made by casting aluminum into
slots in the rotor laminations, and that is a rather substantial
piece of aluminum conductor.

To get more power again, we can take our 1800 RPM motor and run
it at 6000 RPM. It won't fly apart if it's balanced. We just
raised our power three times. Except we need three times the
voltage as we did before. Now, that's a limiting factor.
If we started with a 230V AC motor, but now we're asking for
six times that voltage... the motor's windings won't hold
that in. So we need to reconfigure the motor's winding to
maybe 60 or 70V so we can maintain a battery voltage less than
400V. More winding sections in parallel, and fewer turns of
bigger wire. When you run out of voltage, you need to accept
that the torque will drop as RPM's go up, but the power will
remain roughly the same. That's how Solectria (and Alan Cocconi)
manage to use a fixed gearbox. They set up the motor to have
constant torque below some speed, and above that, the torque
drops but the power remains constant. If you pick that speed
to be, say, 30mph, the torque to the wheels will drop just
as it does when you upshift a standard transmission. This happens
because you run out of volts. Note that a series-wound DC
motor does the same thing when in a current-limiting PWM
controller, except that spinning up to 13,000 RPM isn't
really a great thing to do to brushes...

So, it's relatively easy (and possible) to get ten times the
output power of an ACIM. It's been done - the Valentine book
on VFD's had them using a 256 frame 20hp motor at the
100kW+ level. They were limited by 400A IGBT's.
Now, what's the catch (besides getting
enough voltage and/or current to the motor)? If you saturate
the magnetics of the motor, it becomes much less efficient,
and it's a case where you double the current but get maybe
10% more torque because most of the new magnetic field just
gets lost because the steel won't carry it. That's motor
specific, and the step where that is going to be limited
will be where you raise the voltage applied to the motor to
make the torque vs. slip curve steeper.

But it's not a case of just increasing Hz or increasing
voltage or increasing current. You have to do each in a
carefully coordinated manner.

-Dale

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- If you go with an S10 transmission then you can easily get an adapter plate, but I would just stick with the stock transmission unless you are considering doing some serious racing. I know that John Wayland's stock transmission took years of abuse in Blue Meanie before second gear finally let go, then I'm pretty sure he just swapped in another of the same thing.

damon

From: "Pestka, Dennis J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Transmission Choice
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 06:10:58 -0500

I'm considering using a different transmission in my 1965 Datsun pickup
conversion.
My fear is getting parts for the stock 65 if I tear up anything.
The ICE is only rated at 60 HP, and I don't really know how bulletproof
the transmission is.

I don't have a clue yet what will fit, but any suggestions on what to
use?
Hopefully the choice will be one with adapter patterns already designed.
Another consideration is one with a hydraulic clutch setup.

I'm looking at a 9" Advanced with 1200A Raptor controller.

Thanks;
Dennis
Elsberry, MO

Interest Rates Fall Again! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18679&moid=7581
Forklift motors often have open armature winding slots and  windings that
are then banded.  Motors with this type of construction have strict RPM
limits before flying apart, and are therefore not a high performance motors
that you maybe you are looking for.  If you can find a motor with a semi
closed slot where the slot is just wide enough allow entrance of the wire,
and is then closed up with an insulating piece which blocks the wires from
flying out, you will have a motor with higher RPM capability.  Another way
to tell is that lower voltage open slot armatures are wound with rectangular
wire, and semi closed slot armatures are wound with round wire. Forklift
motors are always connected to their load and don't have the opportunity to
spin up like the motor in your conversion, if you use a clutch, or intend to
go high speed.  The real experts on this board can correct me if I am wrong.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 07:53:15 -0400, childreypa wrote

On 4/18/07, Kaido Kert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 4/18/07, Jay Caplan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <snip> If they expect a 100K mile battery before any
> performance loss is noticed, then isn't that a deal killer in and of itself?
> Maybe ultracapacitors only? I don't know of any battery that can do 2500
> charges without serious performance loss, more like 1000 charges.

Some people have 100K or even 150K miles on their RAV4EVs and claim to
have no significant performance loss.
>From the "always-just-around-the-corner" department, Altair Nano
claims to have tested their batts to 15 000 recharge cycles with 85%
capacity remaining.

The city of Sacramento has RAV4 EVs that have gone 400,000 miles
without significant performance degradation. Thats Four Hundred
Thousand Miles folks. If you do the math, that means 100 miles per day
for 10 years. They are using the Panasonic chemistry NiMH batteries
that Chevron sued them to keep OUT of EV use.

Altair Nano is another contender, yes. A123 seems to have fantastic
possibilities as well. The battery technology is here, now. NiMH
technology was here as well, and could have provided cars to millions
of commuters who, believe me, would have bought these things like
hotcakes if they were just advertised and marketed correctly. We don't
need a gas tax to provide economic offsets to accomplish this. People
would be willing to put extra money into a car that (a) had almost no
maintenance costs and (b) had no gasoline/diesel costs and you just
showed them the average numbers of what those things cost vs. the
Electric car.

Of course, we never got to see THOSE commercials. They were never
made. I wonder how many people would have been turned on by a 2 seater
car that did 0-60 in less than 10 seconds, didn't use gasoline, had a
120 mile range and needed almost zero maintenance? Every time I tell
anybody this simple equation they ask where they can GET such a car.

And an ACTUAL just around the corner is the issue of using chromium in
an electrode with lithium chemistry. This is being worked on and once
that gets figured out we'll have 500mile+ range out of a lithium pack,
as well as bulk charging in minutes. With a 500 mile range for a light
car you could get a 250 mile range for a heavy one, and with bulk
charging it spells game over for petro.

Do NOT listen to GM, or any of the other majors. They know extremely
well how the numbers work. They make oodles of cash on replacement
parts for ICE based cars and so do their dealers, so they do NOT want
to see electric vehicles on the road en masse. The Volt is pure
propaganda, and GMs attitude towards it is simply as a tool to prevent
damage to their reputation. They don't want to make it, and they are
lying like banshees about how much it cost them to make the EV1. It
wasn't that they couldn't make a profit from EV1s.. they could. They
just couldn't make AS MUCH a profit from it, and it was essentially
only one time, at point of sale.

Even Toyota is reticent about the hybrids they've already produced,
but the genie is out of the bottle with that one and they are now
committed. Honda axed the Insight as well and put in play inferior mpg
series hybrids. And now that hybrids are in the hands of the common
man, suddenly they are saying "Hey.. wtf can't you put a bigger
battery in here and let me plug it in?"

...apologies for the rant folks... but I just get my back up when
anyone sympathizes with the likes of GM. To me its like saying "Well
yeah, I know he beat the crap out of you to steal your lunch money,
but he didn't have any choice! He needed an extra two dollars to buy
that steak he wanted. Maybe in future you can just give him part of
your money so as to avoid the beating, and we'll see if steak
technology comes down enough in price so that he doesn't have to use a
baseball bat anymore. No really! He's working on salad technology but
you can only get fresh greens for 4 months a year! Once that gets
worked out, he won't have to beat you up anymore."

The city of Sacramento has RAV4 EVs that have gone 400,000 miles
without significant performance degradation. Thats Four Hundred
Thousand Miles folks. If you do the math, that means 100 miles per day
for 10 years. They are using the Panasonic chemistry NiMH batteries
that Chevron sued them to keep OUT of EV use.

And the price of one of those battery packs was...
My guess is that no one really knows, but if it is somewhere in the $20K - $30K range just for the battery pack then there goes your selling like hotcakes theory. Let's see, I can buy the gas version of this car for $20K or I can pay two to three times that for the Electric version.

The problem still is the batteries. We now have technology that is getting better at storing energy, although still no where near what gasoline does, but the economics of the batteries is tough. Think about it, the battery pack is a direct replacement for the gas tank. How much do you think most gas tanks cost to manufacture?

Even when EV's can meet the specs of their gas powered counterparts they are going to be a tough sell because the batteries guarantee an initial higher cost. The forward thinking consumer may see enough benefit to overlook this cost but the status quo is likely to be around for a lot longer than anyone on this list would like.

In the meantime, keep those backyard conversions rolling out because it is likely to be the only accessible EV source for some time to come.

damon

Download Messenger. Join the i’m Initiative. Help make a difference today. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_APR07