  1) Re: Light EV, controller/motor: Lynch motor
  2) Re: Light EV, controller/motor: Lynch motor
  3) Re: cheap batts for the very patient? :-0
  4) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Controller Schematics that are descent?
        by "Simon Chambers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) State of Charge Confusion
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: State of Charge Confusion
  8) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: corvette conversion
        by "Miller, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Motor, controller & battery recommendations?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Power calculation, was: Re: [EV] RE: Issues involved in...
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Motor, controller & battery recommendations?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Astrodyne DC-DC
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Re: LED headlight bulbs?Very OT
        by murdoch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Minn Kota Chargers?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: cheap batts for the very patient? :-0
        by "Dmitri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: corvette conversion
        by "Dmitri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: DOD question - new/old debate
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: cheap batts for the very patient? :-0
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: LED headlight bulbs?Very OT
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: DC-DC converter
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Catapillar Drive? WAS Re: Kind OT: homemade disk motors
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: cheap batts for the very patient? :-0
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: State of Charge Confusion
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: LED headlight bulbs?Very OT
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
ANd I'll bet they are more expensive too.

Considering that you'd need at least three of them for this
application....probably not the most economical choice.

> Apologies if someone has already mentioned this, I haven't read the rest
> of the thread;
>
> The newer versions of the Lynch motor have a higher power
>
> http://www.agnimotors.com/
> http://www.agnimotors.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=36
>

> Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>>

>> I disagree.
>>
>> The Lemco/Lynch motors are nice, but not powerfull enough for this
>> application.  At least not a single motor.
>>
>> The continuous power is only about 6hp, which is probably not enough to
>> maintain 60-70 mph on a vehicle with no doors (i.e. poor aerodynamics),
>> even with doors it would be questionable.
>> Secondly, the ammount of time it can produce the max power (16hp?) is
>> measured in seconds.
>> Try climbing a long hill at any speed and poof goes the motor.  With
>> single speed ratio's the amount of current needed for hills is virtually
>> the same at 5mph as it is at 30 mph, so tying to climb slower doesn't
>> help.

Oops, sorry about that last post, I was confusing my threads and though I
was talking about the Jeep conversion.

> Apologies if someone has already mentioned this, I haven't read the rest
> of the thread;
>
> The newer versions of the Lynch motor have a higher power
>
> http://www.agnimotors.com/
> http://www.agnimotors.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=36
>

> Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>>

>> I disagree.
>>
>> The Lemco/Lynch motors are nice, but not powerfull enough for this
>> application.  At least not a single motor.
>>
>> The continuous power is only about 6hp, which is probably not enough to
>> maintain 60-70 mph on a vehicle with no doors (i.e. poor aerodynamics),
>> even with doors it would be questionable.
>> Secondly, the ammount of time it can produce the max power (16hp?) is
>> measured in seconds.
>> Try climbing a long hill at any speed and poof goes the motor.  With
>> single speed ratio's the amount of current needed for hills is virtually
>> the same at 5mph as it is at 30 mph, so tying to climb slower doesn't
>> help.

> 2x18650 LiIon cells in qualcomm packs (used) $0.89 ea, 13,500 in stock
> 1200mAh @7.2V

*Used* LiIon cells?  Aren't those similar to used lottery tickets?

> 8x1.7Ah NiMh cells in HP laptop packs (new) $0.69 ea, 5600 in stock
> 1700mA @ 9.6V
>
> 1.2Ah Duracell/Toshiba NiMh AAs (new 95-97 vintage) $0.25 ea, 25k in stock
>
> Anyone ever dealt with these guys?  Does radio shack carry a 6000 AA
> carrier sled? :-)
>
> Rob

--- Begin Message --- Possible, but really coloubmetry- measuring amp-hrs used- and just voltage will tell you SOC fairly accurately, especially if you can take voltage when the pack is at rest at a stoplight.

The SOC is not so much the issue, we can measure that with decent accuracy. The issue is Peukert's reduces is the amount of usable capacity depending on how many amps you need. If you want to crawl at 30 amps there is more capacity available than if you need 100 amps. Do you need to go uphill? Well, maybe the batt could take you up that now and then do a 15 mi level stretch with the remaining capacity, but not the exact same thing in the reverse order.

Also, another factor- which is a bit different than Peukert's- is a pack's voltage will sag when you draw high current. A consequence of this is the controller will have to increase the duty cycle to produce the same power as when the pack was fresh. This increases the current needed to produce that power level. So you kinda get bit twice- the voltage sag means you need more current as the remaining capacity gets lower and Peukert's will reduce the remaining capacity when higher currents are involved.

Danny

Rob&Amy Smith wrote:

I would agree as well. Your ICE gas gauge doesn't tell you how far you can go, just what's left in the tank. It seems like trip computers that try to estimate DTE based on previous driving conditions have the same trouble, and bounce around depending on how you are driving. Seems like best you can do is a rolling average with an adjustable averaging window. If there was a way to just more directly estimate remaining Ah's it seems like thats what you really want to know.

SO, how about this :-) Has anyone ever tried monitoring electrolyte pH in real time? I would assume that as it progresses from acid -> water from full charge to empty that the pH would track this fairly quickly & smoothly? Seems like how much energy you have left should be a direct function of how many ions you have left in the electrolyte. There are plenty of pH meters out there, but I have no idea if there is any sort of cheap bulk sensor that you could deploy across the pack in an economical way so as to have an average picture of pack state of charge. Would be really cool if you could monitor each cell independently in real time :-)

Rob

http://www.robotpower.com/osmc_info/

This is designed for battle robots (e.g. robotwars, etc), hence it's a
fairly good design with plenty of overload protection. Only rated to 36v if
you run it off lead acid, but a little work modifying the circuit could
easily make it run off higher voltage. Rather nice starting point if you're
thinking of designing your own controller, and also there's plenty of good
documentation explaining why every single major component does and is there
for.

Regards,
Si

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease
of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

I was trying to determing my state of charge / DOD,
and I'm confused.

Batteries are 80 AH.  Pack now consists of 7 Deka
Group 24 AGM and 2 Johnson Controls Flooded.  I put in
the two flooded batts because I found I had some weak
batteries, and I didn't want to replace the whole pack
yet.

I have indivual 6 A chargers on each battery - which
are now finally working OK.  The "Smart Chargers" are
supposed to charge the pask "fast".

Deka's website says:
12.8 V - full
12.6 V = 80%
12.4 V = 60%
12.2 V = 40%
12.0 V = 20%

Under what conditions though????

So yesterday, I took readings of the resting voltage
and I drove, took more readings, drove, took more
readings, etc.  And, finally "ran out of electric
fuel."  Much to my surprise I got stranded 1 mile from
my house.  I was able to let it rest a few hours and
limped home at 25 MPH.

I checked all the resting voltages again, and clearly
the new batts were OK.  The oldedr ones were a little
lower, but not really that much.

Then, I checked them under a light load.  I spun the
motor in neutral.  The new ones were reading 12.25
under load.  The old ones were 12 - 12.2 V.  But, one
was 10.5 V.  Obviously that was the problem.

So, I put each on a 6 A charge.  This morning, after
9-10 hours on the charger, they still aren't fully
charged.  The old ones are close.  The new ones in the
front are not.  Not even 80%.  But, 9 hrs x 6 A = 54
AH and they are only 80 AH to begin with.

So, what happened.  I can't believe I took out that
much energy driving only 8 miles.  If I did, that is
very high Watt Hours / mile.

Can anyone explain what is going on?

Thanks,

Steve

> Deka's website says:
> 12.8 V - full
> 12.6 V = 80%
> 12.4 V = 60%
> 12.2 V = 40%
> 12.0 V = 20%
>
> Under what conditions though????

I believe that would be resting charge with nothing connected to the
battery for 24 hrs, and the battery at 80 degrees F.

> So yesterday, I took readings of the resting voltage
> and I drove, took more readings, drove, took more
> readings, etc.  And, finally "ran out of electric
> fuel."  Much to my surprise I got stranded 1 mile from
> my house.  I was able to let it rest a few hours and
> limped home at 25 MPH.

Don't do this too often, it will shorten the life of your batteries.

> Then, I checked them under a light load.  I spun the
> motor in neutral.  The new ones were reading 12.25
> under load.  The old ones were 12 - 12.2 V.  But, one
> was 10.5 V.  Obviously that was the problem.

10.5V under load indicates that the battery is at 100% DoD at that load.
Under heavy loads you'll reach this point sooner than at light loads.
Since this was a very light load, this indicates that the battery was
completely empty.

> So, I put each on a 6 A charge.  This morning, after
> 9-10 hours on the charger, they still aren't fully
> charged.  The old ones are close.  The new ones in the
> front are not.  Not even 80%.  But, 9 hrs x 6 A = 54
> AH and they are only 80 AH to begin with.

How full were they to start with?  Also, I'm guessing that you are just
assuming that the chargers are putting out the full 6A?  Have you measured
them?  What is the voltage that the chargers turn off at?  Perhaps they
have NEVER fully charged your batteries.

I am gonna suggest that the gauge be calibrated and offset E to F is 20%
to 100% at the 1hr rate.(or whatever is decided)  During driveing it
always goes down, never up.
Then a second "range at current usage" (with selectable
current/Average/5minAverage settings) display is allowed to bounce around.

So if you are on it hard the e-f guage moves faster and the miles to go
readout reads less. If you suddenly slow down the miles to go jumps up
but the E-F guage stays the same and just slows it's decent.

Who needs another lead-sled pickup truck?

I'd love one

I remember many episodes with a turbo 350 when vacuum wasn't present or
the modulator had died.
it won't shift out of first unless you manually shift it or rev and
backoff to cause the govener to shift it.

Think of it this way: The governer gave it a reading on speed and vacuum
gave it a reading on demand. The two are used to define the point where
the vacuum can pull the spool to cause an upshift.

The full electronic units that shift up based on a 5V signal may
actually be more adaptable to EV's.

Although...you probably have a vacuum pump for the brakes and if you use
a throttle body for your pot, you could probably rig up something to the
ported vacuum in the throttle body.

At 08:01 PM 26/04/07 -0400, Jack wrote:
I would like to thank the people for helping me with how things work , you really helped clear things up on how it works . Sorry I did not answer sooner but I just got a job out of town & did not have internet connecton were I was , got firerd today now have more time but no money to convert my truck to ele. Does any body know how many amps 400watts 12v are, & how many watts there are in 130 amps . am working on a new project with wind power to help recharge batts. I am sure one of you will know . Thanks again Jack

G'day Jack, All

DC Power is volts x amps (AC there is a "funny" where the amps is usually not in synch with the volts, so the term VA is used, or watts or kilo-watts when properly compensated for the non-synch (power factor correction and harmonic distortion correction)).

So in an EV, or any other DC system:
Watts = Volts x amps
Watts divided by volts = amps
Watts divided by amps = volts.

In answer to your question, 400 watts divided by 12 is 33.3 amps, but is your 12V system 12V? 400W divided by 13.8V = 29 amps.

Then you ask how many watts in 130 amps, but you don't give a voltage, at 12V (130 x 12) = 1560 watts, at 14.4 volts (fast charging volts for a 12V system) is 1870 watts.

Bummer about the job.

Hope this helps

Regards

[Technik] James
Hi Jeff,

I appreciate the help. In an ICE wide open throttle condition, I thought there is no vacuum, and it shifts up before redline anyway, which might still be too low for an electric. How is that different from having no vacuum to the modulator at all, did they use a vacuum source that never went to zero? Also, do you know what the cable from the throttle linkage to the trans does? I still haven't found that one in the book, but maybe the two interact. No vacuum but the cable indicating less than full throttle might cause an ambiguous state.

Also, the governer is driven from the driveshaft end, not the input shaft, right? It seems to be positioned to read road speed. I've got to get my mind around what it could know about motor RPM since what it sees is altered depending on what gear you're in. I wouldn't think it would be spinning much during a 1-2 shift. Maybe that's why I hear they have 2 sets of weights. The heavy ones to influence 1-2, the light ones to influence 2-3, based on the normal gear ratios being present.

I've been toying with the idea of supplying varied vacuum to the modulator to adjust shift firmness, I was contemplating vacuum operated heater control or EGR control valves, a throttle body sounds like a good idea if it doesn't bleed too much vacuum. I've never messed with vacuum lines on an injected engine. I don't think getting shift points or firmness at full acceleration will be too tough, the hot rodders have all kinds of ways of tweaking that. What might take ingenuity is softening the shifts during normal driving without messing up the full throttle shifts. I suspect having no converter mass and way less rotating mass in the motor than the ICE would have, will reduce the shift shock somewhat, but I don't know what the effect will be of having no fluid coupling.

Thanks,
Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Shanab" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I remember many episodes with a turbo 350 when vacuum wasn't present or
the modulator had died.
it won't shift out of first unless you manually shift it or rev and
backoff to cause the govener to shift it.

Think of it this way: The governer gave it a reading on speed and vacuum
gave it a reading on demand. The two are used to define the point where
the vacuum can pull the spool to cause an upshift.

The full electronic units that shift up based on a 5V signal may
actually be more adaptable to EV's.

Although...you probably have a vacuum pump for the brakes and if you use
a throttle body for your pot, you could probably rig up something to the
ported vacuum in the throttle body.

All,

Does anyone have experience with the Astrodyne SD-150D-12 DC/DC converter (spec http://datasheet.astrodyne.com/SD150.pdf)?

I'm considering using it for my conversion.  Any input is appreciated.

Rob
RAVolt.com / EVAlbum 995

You seem knowledgeable about lighting and efficiency.  I'm not
understanding some things here.

In my home, I have CFCs and they save energy over incandescents, and I
have bought and tested one $40 LED bulb and verified their extreme
energy savings (though their color and brightness leave a lot to be
desired, at first glance).

I don't understand though where conventional Halogen fits into this.
My impression from looking at the wattage and lumens at the store is
that even though Halogen bulbs seem very bright, they seem also to use
a lot of energy and so, purely from an energy-savings standpoint, I am
not saving any power, per lumen.

>From what you're telling us, I should also look into HID as a separate
matter, to understand its properties.

Assuming that for a given task I was willing to size the bulb for the
appropriate amount of brightness, are halogen or HID competitive in
energy efficiency with CFC and LEDs?

I know, this is not EV-specific or auto-specific, though surely it can
be applied to EVs.  It is a matter, I suppose, of granting that
different lighting solutions are appropriate to different uses.  If we
wish to conserve EV battery energy, we would choose an
energy-conserving bulb, but also need it to satisfy the color,
brightness and other requirements of legal autos.

Still, it seems worthwhile, if possible, to get a sense of the basic
energy-efficiency pecking order, along with the other basics
(durability, longevity, color, best uses, environmental drawbacks such
as Mercury in CFCs, etc.).

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 22:08:36 -0500, Danny Miller
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"xenon" does not mean HID.
>Xenon is a halogen element on the periodic table, it is often used in
>halogen bulbs and thus the term may be used for ordinary halogen bulbs
>and headlights.
>
>HID is a xenon-filled capsule that forms an arc between two electrodes,
>much like a xenon strobe or camera flash but continuous.
>HID is extremely efficient, more so than halogen bulbs, LEDs, and even
>flourescent tubes.
>
>HID headlights are extremely bright but generally legal since the law
>specified the electrical power the headlights consume, not the output.
>HIDs cannot be started and stopped at will like a halogen bulb, it must
>go through a starting cycle that takes a minute or so, even if it's
>still warm from being run only moments ago.  This prevents it from being
>switched on and off like a normal high beam.
>
>Some aftermarket modifications that put a HID capsule in place of a
>replaceable conventional bulb have been accused of having a bad spread
>that exposes oncoming drivers to too much stray light.  They might be right.
>
>Danny
>
>> w" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Rob,

I have used the MK440 on my 48 volt IUVs (Industrial
Utility Vehicle).  With a number of different
lead-acid battery types.  It works great.  I like it
because I pull 12 volt accessories off one of the four
batteries.  Also have used the MK220.  A pair of them
because the 440 would not fit the battery tray.  They
all are isolated on each output and temp compensated
and fused on each output.  Made for boat installation,
so seem to be rugged weather tight units.  I like
them.  See no reason they won't work for higher
voltage packs.  My installation is not tight, that is
somewhat ventilated, no fan and I do not have any heat
issues.  They seem pretty efficient, but I have never
measured the VA in and Watts out.  If you can live
with 10 amp (or 15) charge rate, I'd go for it.

I did have one issue where a guy left the lights on
and discharged the one battery completely.  Then the
Minn Kotta would not charge that one battery because
it was down to 6 volts.  I simply disconnected the
series connection and jumpered that battery to a
charged one for 15 minutes, got the voltage up to 10
or 11 V and then the charger took over.  O.K. now.
These chargers are also nice because they have LEDs
for each output, so you can tell which one of the
batteries is bad.

Jeff

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Anyone ever look at using Minn Kota chargers for a
> parallel charging setup?
>
> As I recall the biggest issue folks had been having
> with Soleil's and the like seemed to be related to
> vibration and environment induced failures.  Is that
> still the case?  These are probably heavier, but
> claim to be AGM friendly and
> vibration/shock/weather/salt resistant as they're
> meant for onboard marine use.
>
> In particular I was looking at the MK 440, which has
> 4 independent banks at 10A each, 3 stage charging
> and temperature compensation.  They seem to indicate
> its ok to hook these up to series connected
> batteries, so I assume each bank is isolated but
> there's not much tech info.  After the rebate and
> shipping, it seems like you can find these for about
> $250.  For a 144V pack it works out to about 67.6
> lbs and $750.  Not too bad seems like.  There is
> also a 15A per bank version which would put it up to
> ~$1150 and 93 lbs.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob