  1) Re: [EV] RE: Issues involved in a controller bypass?  (ForkenSwift)
        by "Jack Riggi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Light EV, controller/motor?
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: OT: Generator and UPS
        by Dennis Foulke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: corvette conversion
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Motor, controller & battery recommendations?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) cheap batts for the very patient? :-0
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Minn Kota Chargers?
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: financing an EV
        by "Tom Carpenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: cheap batts for the very patient? :-0
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by "FRED JEANETTE MERTENS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Range question
        by "Freddie Hartsell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) NEDRA gets a twist of Lime
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: We're Not Screwed (Graphic)
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Motor, controller & battery recommendations?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Light EV, controller/motor: Lynch motor
        by tt2tjw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: [EV] RE: Issues involved in a controller bypass?  (ForkenSwift)
        by "Dave Wilker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: DOD question - new/old debate
        by Rob&Amy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: cheap batts for the very patient? :-0
        by Rob&Amy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- I would like to thank the people for helping me with how things work , you really helped clear things up on how it works . Sorry I did not answer sooner but I just got a job out of town & did not have internet connecton were I was , got firerd today now have more time but no money to convert my truck to ele. Does any body know how many amps 400watts 12v are, & how many watts there are in 130 amps . am working on a new project with wind power to help recharge batts. I am sure one of you will know . Thanks again Jack ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Light EV, controller/motor?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:52:38 -0700

>I'm planning a small, simple 3-wheeler EV (half-on or smaller, see
>below), and I'm at a point where I need to plan budget, and that means
>picking a motor (series) and controller -- I'm pretty committed to AGMs

>for high output and low weight.

        You may get high output but low weight is not a AGM strong point
as they have only about 85% of the range compared to a good flooded
batt. If you are going that size, go for BB600's instead at about 1/3
the cost and about the same amps, at least as far as you need at about
800.
        Or go Trojan 12vdc 100-130 amphr batts to get the range you
want. 6 would be 360-420 lbs and give you almost twice the range as the
AGM's at much less cost. Especially as you will need buddy pairs AGM's
to get the range you need..

FWIW, I'm willing to pay a fair price for
>motor and controller -- no need to dumpster-dive, but no need to
>over-spend. My usage is basic commute, 30 miles round trip --
>highway-capable preferred but not absolutely necessary.

        Go either contactor controller or a Altrax 7245,
$475 or a combo, starting on the Altrax and switching quickily to the CC
for more power. Also several 1000 amp 48vdc controllers out there that
will do the job well.
        The 85lb L91- D+D ES31 are the same starting point for the
Killa-cycle so should easily do you. I'd even go smaller like the 50 lb
A-89, ES21-$475 at your weight. The E woody has a GE that size. The
Freedom has either the L91 or
2- A89's at 1350 lbs. Prices D+D who are the original ADC owners,
company after they sold their ADC name, 8" and larger line.

 The plan is to slide under 1000 pounds (<400
>chassis, <100 body, <400 batteries, <150 motor, and precious little
>else), fantasy target is actually 800.

      Ewoody body/chassis 235 lbs, motor 50lbs, Too heavy VW front
suspension 165lbs, wheel/tire 25lb each. It weighed under 900lbs with a
36vdc pack it mostly used. Another 100 lbs could be saved by using a
lighter front end.
      Consider wood/epoxy for your body/chassis, light, strong, looks
great done clear, easy to build, easy to throw away if you screw up,
great to learn with. Especially on your first designs as they only cost
a couple hunderd bucks each. I like to build a quick and dirty first one
to learn how to do it right, then build the second correctly to a better
finish. If nothing else, mock it up in ply to see if everything fits,
ect.

>Eight 12V Optima D34 Yellow Top batteries total ~352 pounds. I'm
>planning 96V, but I might be able to get by with a 72-volt pack. I know

>that Jerry made the E-Woody work with a 48V pack, and I'm shooting for
>a similar weight , but I imagine that I'm more aggressive with the
>accelerator. (http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/ tells me that YT
>D34s are 12V, 55 AH, 120 reserve minutes; 10x6.8x7.8" <Height includes
>1" terminals>; 43.8 lbs;
>$174.95 each, includes shipping) Low weight trumps cost per watt, but
>I'll miss the ability to equalize. I plan to use a bank of individal
>chargers to keep from gassing about a grand worth of AGMs.

         You won't be able to use that amperage as you will just burn
off the tire so no reason for AGM's. And they are not lightweight for
their range and expensive to charge.

>A potential point of complication is that I'm going to start with
>chain-drive and no transmission... I'm not sure if I can get the
>acceleration and range of speed I desire, but I will try.

         Go with belt drive or your will quickly understand why you
should have, too much messy, greasy work which is what I came to EV's to
get away from. Only homebuilt EV's use transmissions and you certainly
don't need one so just put a belt from the motor to the rear wheel like
the Sparrow, ect.

                                Jerry Dycus

>I'm open to suggestions on appropriate motors (and vendors!)... I'm
>thinking a 6.7" should scoot fairly well in such a lightweight rig, but

>have a hard time breaking my bigger-is-better hot-rod habit, and am
>also looking at 8"
>motors. I'm entirely baffled as to how big a controller I need... I've
>studied the EV Album and there's IMHO a lack of consensus for what is
>needed and what would just be nice to have.
>
>Comments?
>
>Randii

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Your generator probably has a square wave inverter to generate the 115 VAC. I am guessing that the two USP systems did not like the square wave signal while everything else was happy with the signal. Next time you fire up the generator, hook an oscilloscope across the line and see what type of AC signal you have.

Dennis Foulke

Michaela Merz wrote:
Hello:

Just a short question for you folks: We had a power outage today due to a
bad thunderstorm. The emergency generator went on and it would have been
no problem, but the UPS systems for our computers went crazy.

The generator is rated at 25KW, the two UPS systems are small two computer
units. Voltage measured at the outlet was 122-124 V at 59.8-61.0 Hz.
However, the UPSs didn't accept that as 'good' voltages and went into
battery mode. For  a few minutes in between, they switched to 'normal'
mode but sure enough, after just 2 or 3 minutes, they went back to 'beep'
.. 'beep' .. 'beep'.

As soon as power was restored and the generator shut itself off, both UPSs
were happily sitching back to 'all ok'.

I am puzzled as everything else worked just fine, TV, other electronics,
only the UPSs had a problem. Any ideas?

Michaela

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Hi Steve, as you know I think the vette is a good choice although my choice would be the C4. The AC55 looks like a good motor. It doesn't have the best power/weight, but not many other options for AC. The lack of feedback means you are likely a trail blazer here, which is a good thing, who needs another lead-sled pickup truck :)

Not to discount the value added of electroauto but it's a pricey package.
If you want to get it done quickly, that is probably the best option.

I'm certainly interested in seeing the progress, but sure to get a wepage going for it.

Cheers,
Jack

Steve wrote:
Hi,

  Just put down a deposit on a 1981 donor corvette, so now I need to
get busy.  I didn't receive any feedback on the questions concerning
the Solectria AC55 motor/controller, or electroauto.com.

  Any/all comments appreciated, either via the list, or by private
email.  I would like to place an order within a week or 2 at most.

---
tia,
Steve

--- Begin Message --- From the way it's been described, e-meter uses an incorrect interpretation of Peukert's.

Drawing 1AH at a high rate with a 2x Peukert factor does not remove 2AH from the battery. My interpretation is that it means the battery can't sustain this current when it's more than half discharged, thus the battery's effective capacity is half the ultimate capacity. Attempting to draw more current than Peukert's allows at the current SOC will bring down the cell voltage below 1.75V per cell.

eMeter will be inaccurate when you draw current than is different than your history. On one hand, if you drew current previously at a high rate, it will show an artificially low capacity remaining when you switch to driving at lesser current. On the other hand, if you use part of your capacity at a low rate then switch to a high rate, it will tell you there is capacity left even when the battery is incapable of supplying the current you're try to use.

Everyone asks how a batt gauge could be made where it won't go up and down with current usage. Unfortunately, this is a problem inherent to the way the batt works and the inconsistency of the driving load and it's essentially impossible to get around this while providing an accurate estimate. It works as long as past usage is an indication of future needs for the remainder of your drive. Sometimes that is true. Sometimes it is not. You may have one leg of your trip on a highway and the other through a neighborhood. One leg may be downhill and the other uphill- in which case range & capacity estimates are impossible. To estimate the range, you have to know where you're going, and the computer can't know that without detailed navigation data.

Danny

Paul wrote:

On Apr 26, 2007, at 9:32 AM, Victor Tikhonov wrote:

E-meter owners - is this how SOC is displayed to you?

The e-meter uses the 20 hour battery capacity and the Peukert's exponent to calculate the batteries Peukert's capacity (the capacity at a 1 amp discharge rate in theory.) As you drive it raises the amps you are using at any point (several times a second anyway) by the Peukert's exponent, converts that to amp hours (for instance, if the e-meter sampled only once per second it would divide the adjusted amps by 3600 to get amp hours), and subtracts that from the Peukert's capacity. This system results in a battery "fuel" gauge that doesn't go back up when you remove the load. It also results in a fuel gauge that considers your past driving (on that charge) to be an indicator of your future driving on that charge.

Another thing about automatics. at lease the GM ones.

    The pump pressure is varied to effect the firmness of the shift.
in pre-96 vehicles this was done off of engine vacuum. without the
engine vacuum to modulate the pressure it hammers on shifting. This is
not the vacuum used to shift in the even older transmissions, we are
talking about pump pressure.
    After 96ish the ECM sends a PWM signal to the tranny to regulate the
pressure. It uses the TPS,Map sensor(expensive vacuum sensor), and speed
to determine the pressure needed. Drag racers with these newer trannies
use a little black box to supply the signal to allow firmer ,quicker
shifts with highly modded engines (see Summit racing)

    Since you won't otherwise need the ECM, it may be a good idea to
make sure the auto tranny you have doesn't need some extra signals.

of course the cool part is that with a PIC micro you can
up-shift,downshift, adjust pump pressure and select torque converter
lock/unlock.

Anyone every been crazy enough to build an EV pack out of AA sized cells?  I
assume pack construction would drive you insane :-)  Maybe the scooter/bike
guys then?

These guys seem to have some ridiculously cheap deals ($100 min order though I
think) on surplus small cells:
http://www.73.com/a/0658.shtml

Sanyo KR-1700E NiCad $0.23 ea, ~14k in stock
1700mAh 4/3A, discharge curves up to 8C, charge curves up to 1.5C
http://www.73.com/specs/th720.pdf
50 strings of 120 would yield 89Ah @ 144V, Imax ~680A, Rint ~17mOhm, 555 lbs
plus pack construction for $1380 plus materials.  Only 12000 solder points  ;-)

2x18650 LiIon cells in qualcomm packs (used) $0.89 ea, 13,500 in stock
1200mAh @7.2V

8x1.7Ah NiMh cells in HP laptop packs (new) $0.69 ea, 5600 in stock
1700mA @ 9.6V

1.2Ah Duracell/Toshiba NiMh AAs (new 95-97 vintage) $0.25 ea, 25k in stock

Anyone ever dealt with these guys?  Does radio shack carry a 6000 AA carrier
sled? :-)

Rob

Anyone ever look at using Minn Kota chargers for a parallel charging setup?

As I recall the biggest issue folks had been having with Soleil's and the like
seemed to be related to vibration and environment induced failures.  Is that
still the case?  These are probably heavier, but claim to be AGM friendly and
vibration/shock/weather/salt resistant as they're meant for onboard marine use.

In particular I was looking at the MK 440, which has 4 independent banks at 10A
each, 3 stage charging and temperature compensation.  They seem to indicate its
ok to hook these up to series connected batteries, so I assume each bank is
isolated but there's not much tech info.  After the rebate and shipping, it
seems like you can find these for about $250.  For a 144V pack it works out to
about 67.6 lbs and $750.  Not too bad seems like.  There is also a 15A per bank
version which would put it up to ~$1150 and 93 lbs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob

Actually I believe averaging your past usage is not a best estimate.

For example, say you use 120 amps to pick up from a stop but only 50 amps average. I believe your capacity is limited by your peak needs, not by the average usage. Trying to draw high currents at a SOC below the Peukert capacity for that current will usually bring it below 1.75V/cell unless it's so brief that the batt's surface charge will smooth it out. So say the past road is exactly like what you've been doing, same stoplights about the same distance apart. The 50 amp capacity is not useful because you'll only be able to cruise, the pack will sag below min voltage trying to come off a stop. So it sounds to me like the 120 amp capacity predicts the range because if history tells you anything it tells you sometimes you need 120A. However, drawing 10AH at a 50 amp avg- sometimes 20A, sometimes 120A- should deduct only 10AH from the estimate regardless of rate.

Thus as best I can see, if we're trying to make the best estimate possible based on history, you should look at peaks, calculate the Peukert capacity based on that vs current SOC, and deduct from the SOC based on the actual, literal AH consumed. You could point out that the peaks drawn in the past may not be consistent with the future needs, this is the case with all estimates which use history to estimate capacity in any way. It will only be accurate when history is consistent with future needs.

Danny

Victor Tikhonov wrote:

Thanks Peter,

No matter how you slice it, gadget will never show how far you can drive, one reading or ten readings. Best it will do is show
how much you've spend and how much remains *if* you keep spending
at the same rate which you generally may not. That's the source
of the problem.

It is not a problem to estimate range based on past (1 min, 10 miles,
whatever I choose) history. Problem is you're either forced to drive
the same way if you want believe the readout, or accept the fact that
it may be way off if you'll drive differently (which is not always
up to you).

Again I have only one 3 digit display for relative SOC (+ analog bar).

I don't really expect clear answer from anybody, there is simply
none exist. Will do my best.

--- Begin Message --- I had a boat that I had financed and when I was ready to convert my Isuzu I refinanced my boat and took out the extra cash I had belt up in equity lowered my intrest rate and lowered my payments and got the cash to build my EV.

Tom