  8) Re: More Tweety (NmG) fun...
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: Colorado EV'ers
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) Re: Electric Mini Cooper Videos
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: Over voltage in a pack
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: NI-Cad STM5-180 Auto watering hookup
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) g wiz safety
        by Steve O <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: g wiz safety
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: EV's on Local Talk Radio
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Parallel strings of unlike batteries
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Motor equations
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Electric Mini Cooper Videos
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Motor equations
        by Steve Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Magazine article FYI
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Electric Mini Cooper Videos
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Can anyone recommend a machinist in Los Angeles?
 23) Re: Electric Mini Cooper Videos
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Field weakening basics
        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Motor equations
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Field weakening basics
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: article: Driving Michelin's Zero-Pollution Car
 28) RE: Over voltage in a pack
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Motor equations
        by Steve Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Thanks everyone,

To clarify that would be my two way range. And it isn't everyday
driving, but on the odd occasion it may be (say once every two weeks).
It's more for emergencies then anything else.

I was thinking of a ute as well. Electro Auto have some adapter plates
that I can see, but maybe not for the cars in Australia? But as always
I'm concerned about the shipping cost for something that large. There
may be someone local that may be able to do something in regards to
it, need to go to a demo somewhere. I will take a look at that site in
the hope of getting an idea on the plates.

In any case I will need to look at the cost and find a donor vehicle
appropriate. It's good to at least have a feel for the limitations of
my decision before moving forward.

BTW I live in Western Sydney. Townsville is quite a distance from
here, another state in fact. At least a 15 hour drive from here non
stop.

Slightly off topic does anyone here make their own PWM controllers? I
have worked with much smaller motors using PWM and an analog signal
input into a Freescale chip and a PIC to control the speed. I'm sure
that with the high power there is a lot more to it then that. How do
controllers implement the next step? Is it just high power mosfet's as
switches or what?

do you have spacers between your batteries?
--- Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Been running twenty Crown CR-225's in the truck now
> for 5 months.
> Over the winter the batteries have been kept around
> 75*F to 80*F by keeping the lid propped open
> appropriatley to regulate the
> temp.  Recently outside temps started to rise for
> the summer and I came out and they were 104*F and
> the charger did not shut off.
> It was still running full open at just under my
> regulation voltage of 145V.  OK so a little thermal
> runaway.  I pulled the
> insulation out of the lid, let the truck sit outside
> without the lid for the weekend. Battery temps back
> down to 75*F. A few more
> days running without the insulation in the lid and
> temps are normal; I still prop the lid open at work
> to cool.  Because its
> warmer out and the likelyhood of the batteries
> running over 80*F I've dropped the Reg voltage to
> 143V.  But the last few days as
> I've watch the end of charge the voltage gets up to
> 143V, the blue Reg light (1500 "Mega"candella ;-)
> flashes on the PFC-20 and
> an hour later voltage drops to 141V, Reg light goes
> off, charger continues full tilt until I shut it
> off.  Battery temps barely
> 80*F. Its time for a water check and Equalize anyway
> so I refill all the cells (all of them need a
> little). It hits 143V and drops
> to 141V a couple more times, then it hits Reg and
> times out normally a couple times.  The last 3 days
> though it will not reach
> 143V at all.  I'd like to run an equalize charge but
> I cannot get them over 143V.  I'm only running
> 110VAC so I can only charge at
> ~10.5 amps.  The last 3 days I've just shut it off
> manually when the KillaWatt meter says I've returned
> 120% of what I calculate I
> use during the day.  The calculation is verified by
> a couple data pulls from the Zilla.  At 380 Wh/mi
> its slightly higher I figure
> because I have the summer treads on that run 35psi,
> while my winter treads were 44psi (I notice steering
> is a little harder with
> the summer tires too, but thats expected).  I don't
> seem to be using more power than I expect.  I don't
> seem to be losing any
> range.  It doesn't seem to be losing any steam after
> 15 miles of driving.  All the driving seems normal.
> Battery temps seem
> normal.  All batteries when at the top of charge are
> average 7.11V with one highest at 7.2V and two
> lowest at 7.02V (all other run
> 7.08V to 7.15V).
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Mike,
> Anchorage, Ak.

Maybe a plastic shroud fitted over the pot and up against the case would
be a good long term fix. It is all that freedom that gets us in trouble?

ie
     xxx  |  |  yyyy
          |__|
-----------||------------ board, x and y hazards

==========    =========== case

Added shroud

     xxx  |  |  yyyy
          |__|
----------||||----------- board, x and y hazards
          |  |
         _|  |_
==========    =========== case

Calling Roger Stockton:

Back in 1999(!) you wrote:

"My goal is to derive a new model based on the standard DC motor
equations, but taking into account torque lost to the cooling fan, etc.
which will be reasonably accurate for both series and PM motors, which
would be available to you for use in your EV calculator, should you
desire (unless someone else points out useful equations in the meantime
and saves me the effort 8^)."

This was in the context of a short exchange with Uwe about his
calculator's accuracy in calculating motor behavior at various voltages.
I'm sure you remember :-) The post can be found at:
http://www.crest.org/discussion/ev/199903/msg01120.html

My question is: did you manage to come up with such a model?

I ask because I'm trying to do some calcs for a *fan-cooled* ADC FB4001, but
can't find the values for the parameters Uwe's calculator requires. His
calculator has a page to calc the parameters, but I can't get that to work
(even for motors he *does* have parameters for--i.e., it doesn't even seem
to calculate properly when I give it the correct answer for other motors).

So either I need values for the "a, b, c, d, n and k" parameters, or
I need a reliable way of deriving them, or I need a model
that can be made to work given info from the curves provided by ADC.
I don't mind writing some software, but I don't have the EE/Math background
to derive the equations myself (for instance, I'm stymied by the fact
 that the standard motor equation seems to be linear,
but the ADC rpm vs. torque curves aren't).

Any help you (or anyone) can provide is most welcome...

--Steve

Hi Folk's,

I hooked up my 14 batteries in my E-Porsche 914 in 3 seperate strings per the Saft manual and noticed at final charge that a couple strings had pee'd electrolyte (an ounce or two) on the ground from the rear of the car. I then decided to put plastic hose clamps on them to keep them from dumping electolyte but was worried about hydrogen gas escaping.

1. Can final charge gas escape from the orange tops or is the only route out the fill hose?

2. Should I clamp the low exit end of the pee exit tube when not doing a fill operation?

3. I noticed at final charge 3 batteries at 7.6V instead of 8.5V on the battery scanner. Is this normal? I noticed that these 3 had 00' date codes instead of 01' but they were supposed to be all new. The voltage settles out on all 14 to 7.00V after the charger is removed though.

See ya at the Wind Expo June 3-7 in LA, Cal

Have a renewable energy day,

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507

Was it here that I read a statistic something like, it takes more
electricity to refine a gallon of gas than it takes to propel an EV
the equivalent number of miles down the road?  If that's true, that's
a statistic I'd like to throw around - gets you around the whole dirty
electricity arguement.

Good luck, have fun on the radio show...

They way I figure it, if my 15mpg car made 19 lbs of CO2 for each gallon of
gasoline then the ICE I had made 0.8 lbs CO2 per mile.

My EV that gets ~333 Wh/Mi would only make 0.33 lbs CO2 per mile (electricity
produced from Natural Gas here in Anchorage)

To me that looks like a 2-1/2 times cleaner Carbon footprint.

I'm afraid you lost me on that one????

I did state that the broken belts did NOT break due to excessive torque. We have never broken a belt with too much power! Not even close! The belts broke because of debris. Mine broke because a tree branch got caught in it. ANY size belt will break when debris is caught in the teeth. Kevlar synchronous belts, will not stretch, so foreign objects caught in the teeth will break it. Has nothing to do with torque or power.

Just make sure you have a good belt guard!

Ken