  1) Re: Powering a power steering pump
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Powering a power steering pump
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Power of DC  Ya goin'?
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "TrotFox Greyfoot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Patrick Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Patrick Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: GRM $2007 Challenge - Brainstorming
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: FS: never used PFC20 with buck enhancement
        by Derrick J Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Powering a power steering pump
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) More on NiMH ... continued
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: was Comercial Contactor Controller, now drawings
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Anderson Connector Amp/V Capacity?
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: was Comercial Contactor Controller, now drawings
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Why I got the batteries that I did
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: was Comercial Contactor Controller, now drawings
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Washington State NEV's to go FASTER
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Motor equations
Hello Jody,

According to my 12 volt amp and volt meter that is on the power steering
circuit, my electric steering pump (not the standard one that a engine turns
with a belt) draws about 3 amps at 12.1 volts at no load.

Turning the steering wheel at maximum while the EV is not moving, the ampere
peaks at about 15 amps for a micro second.  I have the power steering unit
adjusted so it will draw minimum ampere.  The turning resistance still feels
like it did with the engine driven power steering unit.

The effort to turn the standard belt driven power steering unit, plus
turning a vacuum pump, a alternator at no load, a A/C pump at no load and
the 11.5 inch main motor, a flywheel, clutch with the transmission in
neutral is only 3 inch pounds at a 60 rpm speed of a torque wrench or 1 rpm
per second which is a standard torque measurement speed.

IF I shift the transmission in 1st gear which is a 19.5:1 ratio, it only
takes 8 in lbs to move a 6860 lbs vehicle and in final gear of 5.57:1, it
takes about 25 in lbs.

The reduce resistance effect is the result of tires that have a very stiff
face, just about like a steel rim to keep the tire round very little
deflection, and very soft side walls, which takes up the deflection instead
of the face of the tire.

In choosing the correct tire for the least deflection, look at the maximum
load rating at PSI on the side of the tire.  This load rating should be at
least 10 percent more than the vehicle weight on that tire.

For example, My weight on each rear tire is 2130 lbs, so the tire I have is
a 2640 lbs rating at 65 PSI.  The fronts tires have a static load of 1300
lbs each, but rear to front thrust load could double that, so I air up the
fronts to 60 PSI.

I test out the front tires at 40, 50 and 60 PSI, and the motor ampere about
200 amps at 40 psi, 175 amps at 50 psi and 125 to 150 amps at 60 psi.

Therefore the steering effort and electric steering pump also has a direct
relation to this steering effort.

From: Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: May 10, 2007 10:37:20 PM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Power of DC  Ya goin'?

--- Bob Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Power of DC? Show of hands! Anybody ELSE going? Time is ticking down
towards THE day.I know alota guyz will be going. Just curious.

   Seeya There?

I working my butt off to get there. I should have the car legally on the road next week. She's all set for towing. I still have work to do on the car and look forward to any advice you guys can offer. I might even give it a run on the track. Anyone bringing parts to swap?

Does anyone have recommendations for places to stay down there? Does the dragstrip offer camping?
Is there a planned gathering Friday night?

Dave Cover
Cell # 860-965-5025

Actually, wouldn't the pulsed DC be from the batteries with the motor
current being a shallow sawtooth due to the freewheel diodes?

Either way, the point is moot.  So long as the cables are side-by-side
their fields should cancel since one cable has current going one way
and the other is the other way.

Unless I'm wrong...  It has been known to happen.

Trot, the electrically-minded, fox...

On 5/11/07, Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 The light bulb just went on.  Since the current coming from the
batteries is DC and constant, then twisting them wouldn't be required.
In my mind I was thinking that it was pulsed so it is a form of AC so
they would need to be twisted.  The pulsed DC is actually from the
controller to the motor.

--
|  /\_/\       TrotFox         \ Always remember,
| ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon \ "There is a
|  >\_/<       [EMAIL PROTECTED]       \ third alternative."

It will kind of pulse, but not nearly as much as the motor side.

--
|  /\_/\       TrotFox         \ Always remember,
| ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon \ "There is a
|  >\_/<       [EMAIL PROTECTED]       \ third alternative."

Thanks Bruce for the detailed info.

I would be curious to see the actual numbers.

If anyone has measurments in Gauss or Teslas please post.

Having measured many different kind of equipment myslef I am most curious
about the motor readings since all other electronics can be dealt with by
shielding and positioning. But the motor is like a huge rotating
transfomer and is by far the largest emitter in the car (ignoring the
charging transformer) and the most difficult to shield (normal metal cases
don't help)

As far as what is safe in EMI, unfortunately, all companies still use
safety standards that were  determined after world war II when science
firmly beleived the only action electro-magnetic emissions can have on
living things is by heating tissue (microwave standards are also based on
that, if it can't cook you, it can't be bad). Research as come a long way
since then . Many many pier reviewed an dpublished studies have shown the
non-thermal effects of EMI and eventually the safety standards will have
to reflect that but since this is such a huge economical, political and
dissruptive issue, standards will always lag research for business and
political reasons. In the various bio-medical studies, the common trend is
that reproducible effects start to be seen at 3 milliGauss and are
frequency dependent. More effects are seen at ELF than VLF/RF/Microwave
unless those are modulated by ELF. This is counter intuitive based on
energy/wave length alone but that is what the studies show.

Anyway, I do not want to start a debate on this subject, I am only looking
for numbers. Having measured many motors myslef, both small and large, my
main interest is what the numbers are in real life EVs, wether the metal
frame plays a role and how it compares in relation to current electronics
packed modern ICU cars. IE, is there a big difference between an EV and a
ICU car regardless of potential effects.

Thank You

Patrick Robin

Sorry, substitute ICU for ICE (internal combustion engine) in my last post.

Patrick

Joel Silverman wrote:
I have been thinking about how cool it would be to enter an EV in
the Grassroots Motorsports $2007 Challenge. It is basically a contest to see who can build the best car for $2,007 judged in autox, drag and show. Best overall score wins.

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
Sorry, but I don't see how you can do this, unless you already own all of the parts needed for the conversion. A new set of batteries alone will set you back close to $2000.

If you start with a beater and spend all your money on EVs parts, you
end up with an electric beater, what do you figure the odds are of that winning anything?

Well, let's see... If the point is to win a race, not build a practical daily driver, then cheap starting batteries will be fine. They'll supply lots of power for a short time, but be shot after a dozen deep cycles. That's OK -- put your "good" deep-cycle batteries in it for normal driving.

Find an old car (to be cheap) that has good suspension (to have a chance at the autocross) and strong drive train (for the drag race). Something that also looks good (for the show). A 1965-69 Corvair or Beetle with a lightweight fiberglass body (Bradley GT) occurs to me, but I'm sure there are other candidates.

Get a *big* old forklift motor, and have Jim Husted work his magic on it. Also get an old SCR controller (can't afford a Zilla); it won't be so good on range, but can really pound out the amps. Hit that motor with 2-3 times its nameplate voltage.

On appearance, give it the Wayland touch -- something that will make them sit up and take notice, and *remember* you. Wild sound system (which doesn't have to cost much), and meticulous attention to detail (labor).

Even if you don't win, you'll sure have a heck of a lot of fun in the process, and surprise a lot of people! :-)

On Fri, 11 May 2007, Peter VanDerWal wrote:

Same deal?  Do you mean $1800 for 10 regs?  Seems a little steep.

Oddly, this is the oldest message I sent, and it appeared just now. I don't know why. No, what I meant was same deal in terms of using them in the car in PA, which when I am less screwed I will explain.

And the PFC20, well, $1650 if you want it now.

Anybody use a compass in an EV?  Does it work?

Marty

That would be funny to see!  I would bet that the compass points
directly to where the motor is.