  1) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Patrick Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Patrick Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: EV's on Local Talk Radio
        by "Will Beckett \(becketts\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: GRM $2007 Challenge - Brainstorming
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: FS: never used PFC20 with buck enhancement
        by Derrick J Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Power of DC 2007
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: EV digest 6759
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: PLEASE FIX YOUR EMAIL CLIENTS!
        by "Martin Klingensmith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: GRM $2007 Challenge - Brainstorming
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Motor equations
        by Steve Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: GRM $2007 Challenge - Brainstorming
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Questions regarding an EV
        by "Mark Karatovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: magnetic field in EV car?
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Why I got the batteries that I did
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by Tim Brehm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: 1-Wire Expertise
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Doin' the math
        by Rob&Amy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
> The needle on the BS meter has now spun around three times and has
> flown off. :-)
>
>          You are concerned about 100 milliGauss. I have personally
> worked in DC fields as high as 150,000,000 milliGauss. If 100
> milliGuass DC was at all harmful, I would be dead 1,500,000 times over!
>
> The typical MRI scan is 15,000 Gauss. (15,000,000 milliGauss)
>
> The Earth's field is about 300 milliGauss. I guess we all will die
> from that very quickly as it is 3 times the amount you are concerned
> about.
>
> Again, show me the peer-reviewed scientific studies that show that DC
> fields are harmful. There are none because DC fields are not harmful.

You sure you want to read them? They are pretty boring ;)

To get plenty of references to them and maybe not falling asleep while
reading about the subject get a copy of "Cross Currents" by Dr Robert O
Becker. In the bibliography you will have all the references you want.

And I never mentioned DC fields. Obviously the motors produce varying
fields no matter if they are AC or DC current fed. Both work of varying
magnetic fields otherwhise the motor would stand still.

No one said 100 mGauss will kill you just like smoking one cigarette will
not or sniffing VOCs once in while a wont. One the other hand, All of them
are considered stressors or toxins.

Please keep the discussion level headed. We are just asking resonable
questions.

Patrick Robin

--
Patrick Robin
http://atelierrobin.net

> Patrick Robin wrote:
>> Having measured many different kind of equipment myself I am most
>> curious about the motor readings since all other electronics can be
>> dealt with by shielding and positioning. But the motor is like a huge
>> rotating transfomer and is by far the largest emitter in the car
>
> I don't think you will find this to be the case with EV motors. They are
> built quite a bit differently than the normal open-frame AC motors you
> find in consumer products.
>
> An EV motor is in a very thick, strong steel case. There are very few
> ventilation holes if it's air cooled, and *none* if it's liquid cooled.
> As a consequence, the motor itself has very little external magnetic
> field.

Not sure about that. Did you actually measure them. I consider them to be
similar in structure/material to industrial servo motors. Those motors are
completely enclosed in thick metal which doesn't do much to stop the
varying magnetic fields. Try measruing them and you will see.

As far as transformers, toroidal ones emit much less than others. The
fileds are contained as much as possible by the geometry of the
transformer.

Patrick Robin

Thanks Patrick.

I never actually said I was worried about it. It is an interesting question to which I don't no the answer, either way. What I did say was that I think what some people believe is that certain frequencies are harmful and others like the Earths obviously are not harmful to us (of course not, we live here. martians beware:P).

Milligauss is just the measurement of strength and since most stuff in the electrical realm is the "supposedly" harmful frequency the levels are measured from what is considered safe which is pretty low, around 3 milligauss I think.

So for a DC motor, direct current is supplied to the controller which pulses it to the motor and since the motor is spinning it is not a static field like a magnet... right?
How does regular AC work?
And finally how about 3-phase AC?

Bill what produces 150 million milligauss DC magnetic fields? (will it pull of your watch or glasses?)

Please correct me if I am wrong,

Cheers,
 Tehben

At 12:15 PM 5/11/2007, you wrote:
[...]

Anyone able to connect live?

From: Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: May 11, 2007 3:06:11 PM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: magnetic field in EV car?

At 12:15 PM 5/11/2007, you wrote:
[...]

On 5/11/07, Timothy Balcer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Clean, pure text -is- the conventional format for lists. It keeps the
size of emails way, way down and keeps spammy blinking images from
showing up in my Inbox :) It also prevent people from putting in
signatures that have animated gifs. I've run mailing list servers for
years, and one thing I always did was restrict to plain text.

Mainly though, it keeps the total traffic down by a LOT. I wouldn't
want the list to change it's format. I like it this way!

--T

I heard a rumor that this list is changing to the Mailman MLM
software. Mailman is smart enough to strip unwanted content from
multipart messages without sending the "REMAINDER OF MESSAGE
TRUNCATED" crap.

--
Martin Klingensmith

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- As I said "Peer Reviewed" "Scientific Studies". This book you site is _not_ peer reviewed and is _not_ a scientific study.

You must show, via a carefully run study on lots of randomly selected people, that folks exposed to DC magnetic fields have adverse health effects markedly different than those that are not exposed to DC magnetic fields. (or those exposed to a different amount of DC magnetic fields.)

Here is a paper showing a summary of the peer-reviewed (scientific) literature on the health effects of magnetic fields of all frequencies:
http://www.bccdc.org/content.php?item=57

        Guess what, DC fields are harmless.

There has been some genuine scientific studies on bone healing acceleration with DC fields, but it is possible that the forces on the magnets, rather than the field in the bone, aided healing. Causality was not well controlled. Regardless, it was a positive health effect rather than a negative one.

--
Patrick Robin
http://atelierrobin.net

>>> Get a *big* old forklift motor, and have Jim Husted work his
>>> magic on it.

>> You'd have to pay him his fair market value, or deduct that
>> amount if he did it for free. Plus, unless you live in Oregon,
>> you'd have to deduct the shipping costs.

I haven't read the rules; do they really expect shipping expenses to be
included in that $2007? That would mean no one but locals could even
participate, because you could blow your entire budget just transporting
yourself and your car there.

From: Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I found this thread intresting and I'd actually love to do
> something like this... although the timing couldn't be more off
> for me this year...

The standard approach to have a winning car is to *buy* your brains and labor.
Hire the best people and buy the best parts. But that's out of bounds for this
$2007 challenge.

But there are other approaches if you don't have money. You can be smart enough
and skilled enough yourslef, so you don't have to hire people with these skills
-- in that case it's free. Or, you can invest lots of time and do it with labor
-- that's also free if you do it yourself.

There's one more approach that's rarely used, but might work here. If you lack
the money and skills to design and build it yourself, sometimes you can inspire
othes to *donate* their talents for "the cause".

This doesn't mean (for example) getting a motor for free that should cost $1000
-- that's cheating. But it *could* mean having experts tell the team what motor
to look for, where it might be found, what changes to make in it, etc.

There is so much talent on this list that if someone were to try to build a
competitive EV for this contest, you could get a lot of good advice that would
save a lot of time and effort.

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard

From: Patrick Robin
> Did you actually measure them. I consider them to be similar in
> structure/material to industrial servo motors. Those motors are
> completely enclosed in thick metal which doesn't do much to stop
> the varying magnetic fields. Try measruing them and you will see.

If you mean a PM servomotor, I would expect them to have an external DC field
because of the large powerful magnets. Such motors will affect a compass, but
it has to get fairly close. More than a couple feet away, the motor's field
falls below that of the earth.

If you mean an external AC field, the ones from the motor itself are really
small. The connecting wires to the motor were causing 100 times the RFI of the
motor itself. The only time the motor itself generated a lot of RFI is a) a
brushed motor at high current, b) a motor operating at extremely high current,
well in excess of its ratings so that the iron was saturating.

> As far as transformers, toroidal ones emit much less than others. The
> fields are contained as much as possible by the geometry of the
> transformer.

Yes, though again, a high quality conventional transformer that is avoids
saturation is pretty good. The EMI falls to very low levels just 1-2 feet away.

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard
--
Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 13:51 -0700, Roger Stockton wrote:

<snip>
>   Some people add external blowers to give the motor more cooling
> air, especially at low speeds where the internal fan is less effective.

Thanks, that clears up that aspect of the issue.

> > I'd do that, but the whole reason I started looking into this
> > is that I *do* need some confidence in the numbers at the low
> > RPM/high torque extreme because I actually need more RPM at
> > the higher torque levels if I'm going to climb some 8% grades
> > at 50 mph or so.
>
> More RPM at the same (high) torque suggests that you need to run more
> voltage than what the curves are for.

I am aware that more volts would help; however, I'm trying to determine
the *lowest* voltage pack that would work, since increasing the pack
voltage significantly will also signficantly raise my battery costs (at
least at the prices I assume I'll be paying).

>  This is a problem with the
> curve-fit model used by the calculator: it may fit the motor curve you
> plug in for a specific voltage, but may not accurately reflect the
> behaviour if try to simulate the motor with a different pack voltage.

I understand.  One thing I am doing is using the existing curves to try
to get a feeling for how much error is introduced when moving from one
curve to another. I know the fit won't be perfect and my experimentation
may, in the end, only convince me that an accurate enough simulation is
unobtainable.

> What I'd be more concerned with here is how long that 8% grade is, and
> what power for how long is required to climb it.  Check the motor
> thermal specs to see if it can even sustain the required power level for
> the required time without overheating.

Have done. The best info I've obtained on the motor is that at 144v, it
will do 48.8 HP for five minutes. If anyone can give  me an idea of
roughly how much I can increase that rating for a period of about two
minutes, it would help (assuming the 48.8 is realistic). (The EVParts
tech guy left me with the impression this would be no problem, but other
opinions/experiences would be valued.)

 Right now my calcs indicate that for any car I'm likely to convert,
I'll need around 50-60 hp, maybe a little more if I need to accelerate
while I'm on the hill (there's a tight turn in the middle of it). This
depends on the gear ratios, of course, and I've thought about fiddling
with those, but for now I'm just taking stock ones as a starting point.

--Steve

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
> People only replace their starting batteries when they can no
> longer start the car. The Winners in this race ar hitting 10's
> in the quater mile and the top 25 are in the 14's. Do you REALLY
> think you can be that competitive with batteries that are so
> worn out they won't even start a car?

I meant to use *new* starting batteries, not used ones. New SLI batteries are
probably the cheapest bang-for-the-buck you can get.

> Actually, do you even think you could do it with BRAND NEW starting
> batteries?

In 1968, the Autolite "Lead Wedge" set a record of 138.862 mph at Bonneville.
It used a plain old GE series motor, and twenty Autolite SLI lead-acid
batteries. They also toured it around the country, running at various
dragstrips. I couldn't find any times, but with that motor and pack, it could
have been wickedly fast. Here's a picture and some info:
http://www.brianharney.net/wheels/hotrod/hr692044.htm

> They had a bettle race last year. It came in near the back of
> the pack, and that was WITHOUT adding a 1/2 ton of lead.

A VW "Beetle"? How was it set up?

>> Get a *big* old forklift motor, and have Jim Husted work his
>> magic on it.

> You'd have to pay him his fair market value, or deduct that
> amount if he did it for free.

Or get his advice on what should be done, and do it yourself. That would add
very little cost.

> Plus, unless you live in Oregon, you'd have to deduct the shipping
> costs.

Are you sure they require shipping costs to be part of the price? That would
put anyone that wasn't local out of the running, because shipping *any* car and
team cross country would eat up that $2007 budget.

> If you were really lucky and stumbled on some really sweet details,
> you /might/ be able to build a car that managed last place in every
> event.

Thanks for your encouragement. :-) Makes me almost want to try to do it. Say...
the guy that bought my old ComutaVan wants to sell it...

--
I would not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum. --
Frances Willard
--
Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Hey,

I was thinking of going to the next demo that the AEVA have to at
least see what people did, and hopefully learn from it. At this stage
I looked at the meetings and didn't think I would be able to attend
those due to the time (unfortunately due to my money earning job).
Well the fact that a local person can make the plates sounds
encouraging to say the least. One contact is always good.

On the other note it seems complex to desing a controller, but I guess
when your designing for safety it will be. A controller gone wrong
could be quite dangerous if it just open circuits, or cuts out without
warning. I would like to see a circuit of one actually running, would
give me some idea. Oh well, can be done later.

Thanks everyone.

On 5/11/07, Claudio Natoli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello Mark,

> There may be someone local that may be able to do something in
> regards to it, need to go to a demo somewhere. I will take a
> look at that site in the hope of getting an idea on the plates.

Adaptor plates can be made by local machine shops. I had mine made by David
Probin from Prolec Engineering in Castle Hill.

> BTW I live in Western Sydney.

You might like to come along to a meeting of Sydney AEVA. See here for future
meeting details, and also links to some local suppliers:
http://sydneyaeva.googlepages.com

Cheers,
Claudio

Hey it could be worse for you Jim,
You could build high voltage chargers
and suffer from the dreaded chroming of the dome, syndrone.

Look what those EV rays did to me.  I don't even build chargers
or motors.  All I did was just build an EV, and now I have to wear a hat to
keep my head warm in the winter. ;-P

Lee,

What do you think of Universal Power Group batteries?

I used Concordes AGMs in my EV, and did design for a 40-mile range, and
did drive it 10 miles on average between charges. And the batteries are
now 8 years old. At this point, two have died and been replaced, and the
rest of the pack soldiers on with about half their original capacity.

So, your estimation is pretty close to correct!

However, one needs to have a situation where the pack is still useful
even with half its original capacity to make use of this extended life.

--- Begin Message --- I suppose because entire microcomputer (controller with its I/Os, PICs for sure) is cheaper these days than one single mechanical relay, esp.
good one.

If you look in Digikey catalog, you may find a small
PIC processor (containing tens of thousands transistors if you think of it) for less than 5 pin PCB header which is just 5 short hard wires molded into a piece of plastic. It's explainable, but isn't it amazing?

Why have a computer on every battery? If all he want to do is measure each battery's voltage, all that's needed is a central "box" to measure voltage (could be just a multimeter or analog meter), and the relays to select which battery it measures. If you don't like mechanical relays, use solid state relays.

Like he said :-)

I do have my own spreadsheet version, but its almost all based on Bob Brant's book, with help from the web based calculators of Uve, and Jerry Halstead. I would highly recommend running some numbers, it can be very informative. I did my own because I wanted to be able to customize, see graphs, and be able to save results. Someday I'll get it cleaned up enough that I can share it, right now it would be way to confusing to try and tell anyone how to use it.

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8679/evcalc.html
http://www.evconvert.com/tools/evcalc/

Uve's calc also has a page with helpful info on the equations:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8679/equations.html

Rob

On May 11, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Steve Peterson wrote:

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 14:19 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
    Rob> Here are my numbers if anyone's interested.

Got a spreadsheet? I'm new to all these calculations. It would be helpful
for me to examine your equations.

Thx,

One is available here:
http://www.evconvert.com/batteries.zip

Also, check around his site, he has some other tools you may find
handy.

--Steve

Amy Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Birth Doula
Childbirth Educator
602-277-1572
602-405-3744

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire" - Yeats