  2) Re: Doin' the math
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Doin' the math
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Power of DC 2007 - CHARGING
        by "BadFishRacing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Washington State NEV's to go FASTER
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Lithium for $0.19 / Watt Hour Is this for real?
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Doin' the math
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) Re: Lithium for $0.19 / Watt Hour Is this for real?
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Lithium for $0.19 / Watt Hour Is this for real?
        by Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Motor equations
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Lithium for $0.19 / Watt Hour Is this for real?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: Lithium for $0.19 / Watt Hour Is this for real?  No oops.
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) To Charge or not to charge
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: GRM $2007 Challenge - Brainstorming
 18) Re: Doin' the math (now Chinese products)
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: GRM $2007 Challenge - Brainstorming
 20) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Patrick Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Honda Hydrogen Fuel Cell BOYCOTT?
 22) RE: Motor equations
        by Steve Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I work for a company that was unhappy with the quality of the pots used
in their joysticks. Today they had a presentation on the new improved model.

They are using this chip in the new design and I was quiet impressed
with the specs. It is for the automotive industry and can act as a
analog pot, digital pot or PWM out. It is directly replaceing a 5Kohm
pot. They are actually gonna save money over the mechanical pots.

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6261028.html

http://www.melexis.com/ProdMain.aspx?nID=566

Peter VanDerWal wrote:

Well, except for some of the Chinese manufacturers, which rate their cells
highly idealized rates, maybe something like the rate of the best cell
ever tested.  Honesty and quality appear to be concepts that the Chinese
(as a whole) are slow to adopt.

Right. Why tell truth if it reduces sales NOW? It's just bad business
practice. When truth surfaces, change your market. Silly US companies
just don't get it - such simple way to make money making easier...

Talk to native Chinese businessman if you get chance. The more cleverly he/she can make you believe in something (and so proceed in business),
the better businessman he is. Whether object of believing is real
is no longer really relevant (after deal is done or has potential).
Reputation is still (for most businesses there) not something tangible you can deposit into account, and *only* account contents is indication
of business success, you know...

lol

:)

On May 11, 2007, at 4:43 PM, Jim Husted wrote:

Hey all

I was wondering if these waves can cause you to get
ugly, cause I've been told that alot 8^P but other
than that I've been around running motors what feels
like all my life, both AC and DC they're is almost at
least one motor running at the shop and close by.

I was at youtube today and noticed that there were
comments about this there as well.  I personaly liked
the "what a moron, he'll die in a week" (or somethin
like that) comment.  Anyway I just wanted to state
that besides the ugly thing, well that and the
twiching thing, I'mm jjustt, finee 8^00

Cya

______________________________________________________________________ ______________Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

Tim Humphrey wrote:
Battery      $ per mile

GC's          .08
> Lithium       .09
> NiMH>         .10
> Orbital       .11
> NiCad         .21
> Optima        .27

What "we" really need is what Victor said years ago.... A paradigm
shift, prepaying for energy. Accept the fact that your batteries are
a very large portion of your energy cost, and not just a storage
device. A large upfront cost will pay off in the long run. Much like
solar, wind etc.

-- Stay Charged! Hump I-5, Blossvale NY

Oh, get real :-) You know how people are.
 What was last time you saw a person buying a house outright
saving *a lot* in a loooong (30 years) run? People LOVE to pay 3x at the end as long as it's low every month which seem to be only visible to them. A house is extreme case, few have that kind of money available
but I'm sure if they would, most still would keep paying mortgages.

FWIW, NiCd option I think is in wrong place on your comparison, it's about the cheapest cost over life of the battery.
Little problem is - who wants to wait their life time to witness that?

Hey All,

I'm working on a spider box to provide all the necessary power everyone might need for charging at the Power of DC 2007 (and beyond). At this moment, I've got 8-20amp 120V circuits. What is the preferred connector for anything bigger? 30A Dryer outlet (NEMA 10-30)? 50A Range outlet (NEMA 10-50)? Twistlocks (NEMA L6-30)?
Will try to accommodate all.

Darin
BadFishRacing

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chip Gribben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Steve Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: RE: Motor equations
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 19:25:28 -0700

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 13:51 -0700, Roger Stockton wrote:

<snip>
>   Some people add external blowers to give the motor more cooling
> air, especially at low speeds where the internal fan is less effective.

Thanks, that clears up that aspect of the issue.

> > I'd do that, but the whole reason I started looking into this
> > is that I *do* need some confidence in the numbers at the low
> > RPM/high torque extreme because I actually need more RPM at
> > the higher torque levels if I'm going to climb some 8% grades
> > at 50 mph or so.
>
> More RPM at the same (high) torque suggests that you need to run more
> voltage than what the curves are for.

I am aware that more volts would help; however, I'm trying to determine
the *lowest* voltage pack that would work, since increasing the pack
voltage significantly will also signficantly raise my battery costs (at
least at the prices I assume I'll be paying).

>  This is a problem with the
> curve-fit model used by the calculator: it may fit the motor curve you
> plug in for a specific voltage, but may not accurately reflect the
> behaviour if try to simulate the motor with a different pack voltage.

I understand.  One thing I am doing is using the existing curves to try
to get a feeling for how much error is introduced when moving from one
curve to another. I know the fit won't be perfect and my experimentation
may, in the end, only convince me that an accurate enough simulation is
unobtainable.

> What I'd be more concerned with here is how long that 8% grade is, and
> what power for how long is required to climb it.  Check the motor
> thermal specs to see if it can even sustain the required power level for
> the required time without overheating.

Have done. The best info I've obtained on the motor is that at 144v, it
will do 48.8 HP for five minutes. If anyone can give  me an idea of
roughly how much I can increase that rating for a period of about two
minutes, it would help (assuming the 48.8 is realistic). (The EVParts
tech guy left me with the impression this would be no problem, but other
opinions/experiences would be valued.)

Here is one approach to get a handle on that question:

If we assume that all of the heat generated in that 5 minute power burst goes into heating the motor, then we can have about 2 1/2 times as much heat generation ( in watts, for example) for two minutes and get the same temperature rise. (This is not exactly true, because the motor does lose some heat to the air during this time, but it's a place to start.)

At 144V and 48.8 HP, ( if we assume an efficiency of 90%) the motor is drawing 281 amps. To get 2 1/2 times the heating ( resistive losses) in the motor, we need 1.58 times the current ( since the resistive losses are proportional to the square of the current). So, we could have 1.58 x 281 amps, or 444 amps for 2 minutes. This would give us ( assuming the same 90% efficiency) about 77 HP.

In real life, this would probably be a bit less for two reasons : the motor efficiency probably drops at currents that high, and there is probably more motor cooling during five minutes compared to two minutes. Both effects would drop the allowable 2 minute power to something less than 77 HP.

My  guess would be about 70 HP.

Phil

--Steve

More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507
    Philippe> These are >non rechargeable< batteries !

Maybe they would be good for the Grassroots Challenge. ;-)

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/
"The hippies and the hipsters did some great stuff in the sixties,
but the geeks pulled their weight too." -- Billy Bragg

Please ignore.  That isn't a great deal at all because
it is a primary battery good for only 1 cycle ...
Sorry about that.

Steve

> See link below ...

http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=XL-205F&Category_Code=sa36v

> This is less expensive than my flooded and look at
> what you are getting.  Or, are you really getting
> what
> I think you are getting ???
>

> XenoEnergy XL-205F D Size 3.6 Volt 19Ah Lithium
> Battery $13/ea
>
> 3.6 x 19 = 68.4 Watt Hours / $13 = $0.19 / Watt Hour
>
> Steve

____________________________________________________________________________________You
> snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck
> in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

____________________________________________________________________________________Need
 a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/

I've had my battery pack for almost a year.  I've been charging my pack
almost every night. However, I rarely if ever drive more than 10 miles in a
day.

Now it seems like the pack is running down much quicker than when I first
got it.  The charge starts out at a little over 130 volts and then seems to
drop like a rock.

I also note that the amp draw from a standing stop seems really high
300-400++

Should I be running or should I have run the pack down more rather than
charging it up every night

Any impute would be helpful.

Joe

>>> You'd have to pay him his fair market value, or deduct that
>>> amount if he did it for free. Plus, unless you live in Oregon,
>>> you'd have to deduct the shipping costs.
>
> I haven't read the rules; do they really expect shipping expenses to be
> included in that $2007? That would mean no one but locals could even
> participate, because you could blow your entire budget just transporting
> yourself and your car there.

They do say transportation costs count, but I got the impression they
meant shipping costs on parts, engines etc. and not the cost of shipping
the vehicle to the race.

> There's one more approach that's rarely used, but might work here. If you
> lack the money and skills to design and build it yourself, sometimes you
> can inspire othes to *donate* their talents for "the cause".

The rules cover "donated" parts and labor, you have to deduct their fair
market value.
However, your own labor is free.

> This doesn't mean (for example) getting a motor for free that should cost
> $1000 -- that's cheating. But it *could* mean having experts tell the team
> what motor to look for, where it might be found, what changes to make in
> it, etc.

Advice /probably/ doesn't count as a cost, after all free advice is always
worth what you paid for it.

--- Begin Message --- I've got some perspective in this area. I own a business that imports clocks from China. I've also got a test engineering and quality control backround. I've been to the sweat shops, sat down and designed products with them, put my name on them, and troubleshot the failures.

The Chinese make some good stuff, and they make some crap. It's up to the importer that is outsourcing to set standards and enforce them. Unfortunately, all too many companies that outsource from China, go there asking "How cheap can you make this?". That's why they are outsourcing, right? So they tend to sell on price. It doesn't help that they have a real shortage of engineers and quality control people. I went to a lunch put on by a Government backed business development project. They have built a bunch of business buildings, they have inexpensive labor, they are trying to get foreign businesses to send over engineering and quality people to set up manufacturing and employ their people.

So if you are looking at Chinese made products, the question is, who's policing the quality and specifications? Many Chinese companies will brag about how many foreign design and quality control engineers they have on staff.

I do agree that in consumer products, the Asian market tends toward cheap flashy junk. I blame this as much on the Japanese, who are a large consumer of Chinese made products. At least in clocks, if you look at what they are currently producing, you see a lot of what we would consider silly, chrome plated, gadgety junk, for very low prices. In talking with their sales and marketing people, they are surprised by our conservative taste, we are not like much of their current customer base. Also, the Chinese tend to be a superstitious lot, with no FTC enforcing claims made about products. You wouldn't believe how many products they have that will guarantee you a long and prosperous life :). Making outrageous claims is standard operating procedure for consumer goods, apparently it's assumed.

So the bottom line is, if you are going to import batteries from China, plan on being the quality control department if you don't know for a fact that someone is handling it over there. You also have to be aware of any patents you may be violating.

That being said, maybe I should start looking for sources. I know a lot about importing, but next to nothing about batteries.

Marty

P.S. Regarding the comments about Chinese business men, and the value of reputation, they aren't all bad. They are all over the map, just like American business men. And like American business men, the ones you are probably most likely to meet are the ones that are in your face trying to score a quick buck. You have to look for the good ones. There are also a lot of smoke and mirror operations out there. There are a huge number of traders in Hong Kong and Taiwan that take orders from westerners and have stuff made in factories in China (which they invariably call "their" factory even though they are not). Many of these operations are looking for a quick buck and couldn't care less if you ever come back a second time. Telling which ones can be your trusted representative, and which ones are con men is very tough, they look the same from here.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Victor Tikhonov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Peter VanDerWal wrote:

Well, except for some of the Chinese manufacturers, which rate their cells
highly idealized rates, maybe something like the rate of the best cell
ever tested.  Honesty and quality appear to be concepts that the Chinese
(as a whole) are slow to adopt.

Right. Why tell truth if it reduces sales NOW? It's just bad business
practice. When truth surfaces, change your market. Silly US companies
just don't get it - such simple way to make money making easier...

Talk to native Chinese businessman if you get chance. The more cleverly he/she can make you believe in something (and so proceed in business),
the better businessman he is. Whether object of believing is real
is no longer really relevant (after deal is done or has potential).
Reputation is still (for most businesses there) not something tangible you can deposit into account, and *only* account contents is indication
of business success, you know...

> I meant to use *new* starting batteries, not used ones. New SLI batteries
> are probably the cheapest bang-for-the-buck you can get.

Ah, well the original poster mentioned *used* SLI batteries.
So anyway, New batteries eat up 1/4 of your budget.

>> Actually, do you even think you could do it with BRAND NEW starting
>> batteries?
>
> In 1968, the Autolite "Lead Wedge" set a record of 138.862 mph at
> Bonneville.
> It used a plain old GE series motor, and twenty Autolite SLI
> lead-acid batteries.

Look how long it took John et al to get below 14 seconds using high power
Hawkers and 300+ volts.  Even the white zombie can't match the leaders in
this race.  Last years winner posted a 10.4 in the quarter.

>> Plus, unless you live in Oregon, you'd have to deduct the shipping
>> costs.
>
> Are you sure they require shipping costs to be part of the price? That
> would put anyone that wasn't local out of the running, because shipping
> *any* car and team cross country would eat up that $2007 budget.

The rules say "transportation costs" but they are listed in the section
about building the car and buying parts, so I'm pretty sure they are just
talking about transporting the parts.

>> If you were really lucky and stumbled on some really sweet details,
>> you /might/ be able to build a car that managed last place in every
>> event.
>
> Thanks for your encouragement. :-) Makes me almost want to try to do it.
> Say... the guy that bought my old ComutaVan wants to sell it...

These guys are going wicked fast in cheap cars.  Even expensive EVs would
have trouble competing.  None of the current crop of EV door slammer drag
racers can match the best drag race times.
I drawing a blank here, who's the guy with the LiPol powered autocross
car?  He might stand a chance in the autocross, but that car costs more
than 50 times the limit.

If you didn't bother trying to be competitive in the drag race or
autocross, you might be able to do well in the concorse event, but that is
worth very little in the over all scoring.

Tehben , I think your reply bellow is intended for someone elses post.

And you are correct about the motors field. It is not like a static
magnet. It is varying.

Thanks

Patrick

--
Patrick Robin
http://atelierrobin.net

Honda has plans to develop and sell a fuel cell car by 2010.  It is the
accepted fact now that hydrogen is a poor energy carrier. All commercial
sources of hydrogen will come from fossil fuel. (Hydrogen from water using
electricity is painfully inefficient but possible) That means zero pollution
at the vehicle & more pollution at the source compared to battery electric
vehicles.  Should there be active protests against the fuel cell & hydrogen.
I suspect the price of hydrogen will be either subsidised  to keep it on par
with other dino fuels or the real price will be charged.  If it is
subsidised the real price will come later.  If it is not there will be no
acceptance of the product. If Honda makes good on it's promise of a 25k fuel
cell car what will we do.  Buy it or protest?  Lawrence Rhodes.  BTW  Why
not an energy efficiency "race".  The car to finish the "race" using the
least amount of energy wins.............

On Sat, 2007-05-12 at 08:20 -0400, Phil Marino wrote:

> >The best info I've obtained on the motor is that at 144v, it
> >will do 48.8 HP for five minutes. If anyone can give  me an idea of
> >roughly how much I can increase that rating for a period of about two
> >minutes, it would help (assuming the 48.8 is realistic).
>
> Here is one approach to get a handle on that question:
>
> If we assume that all of the heat generated in that 5 minute power burst
> goes into heating the motor, then we can have about 2 1/2 times as much heat
> generation ( in watts, for example) for two minutes and get the same
> temperature rise.  (This is not exactly true, because the motor does lose
> some heat to the air during this time, but it's a place to start.)
>
> At 144V and 48.8 HP, ( if we assume an efficiency of 90%) the motor is
> drawing 281 amps.  To get 2 1/2 times the heating ( resistive losses) in the
> motor, we need 1.58 times the current ( since the resistive losses are
> proportional to the square of the current).  So, we could have 1.58 x 281
> amps, or 444 amps for 2 minutes.  This would give us ( assuming the same 90%
> efficiency) about 77 HP.
>
> In real life, this would probably be a bit less for two reasons : the motor
> efficiency probably drops at currents that high, and there is probably more
> motor cooling during five minutes compared to two minutes.  Both effects
> would drop the allowable 2 minute power to something less than 77 HP.
>
> My  guess would be about 70 HP.
>
> Phil

Good idea -- thanks. And I like that number (70 hp) :-)

--Steve