  1) BMS (Battery Management System  (Was: 1-Wire Expertise)
        by =?iso-8859-1?B?KKRQaGlspCk=?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: OT: What makes 150 kGauss?
        by John Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Charging timer
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: FS: never used PFC20 with buck enhancement
        by "Chris Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Anybody done siamesed ADC 6.7"?
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Anybody done siamesed ADC 6.7"?
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: 1-Wire Expertise
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Plasma Podcast May 15th & other News
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: GRM $2007 Challenge - Brainstorming
 11) Re: Motor equations
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Plasma Podcast May 15th & other News
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Motor equations
        by Steve Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: BMS (Battery Management System  (Was: 1-Wire Expertise)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Plasma Podcast May 15th & other News
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: BMS (Battery Management System  (Was: 1-Wire Expertise)
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Honda Hydrogen Fuel Cell BOYCOTT?
        by John Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) OT: Magnetic fields (Re: magnetic field in EV car?)
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Anybody done siamesed ADC 6.7"?
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) John Wayland Interview Podcast on Vinnie's Garage
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) oops! - John Wayland Interview Podcast on Vinnie's Garage
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: OT: Magnetic fields (Re: magnetic field in EV car?)
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Seems like the right thing to do is put a little board on each battery. The board would contain a small microcontroller with ADC, a IR LED, a monolithic IR receiver (like those used in consumer electronics to receive remote control signals), a high-current MOSFET and a resistor (light bulb?). The board would only hook to (+) and (-) of each battery in the array. No data cabling. 2 wires, that's it.

The units would all be identical, but contain a unique serial number in the firmware. A central controller would then poll the individual units via 40khz IR signals. The units would respond the same way. The central controller can then order the load on and off for equalization of the pack when charging.

The IR effectively galvanically isolates the whole mess and makes it unlikely an accident could occur. The IR would readily bounce all around battery enclosures and make a reliable 2-way communication system with no wires and very low cost. The IR LED/Receiver are commodity items and cost pennies.

The little boards would thus be cheap and easy to make, and very safe with no possibility of shorts, etc.

Open-source the firmware and PCB design. Maybe a group-buy of the little PCBs.

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Hart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Anybody done siamesed ADC 6.7"?
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 14:18:52 -0700

Hello to All,

Marty Hewes wrote:

Anybody tried siamesed ADC L91-4003 6.7" motors?  I

Yes. Jim Husted has a nifty one sitting in his shop he put together. It's beautiful!

See Ya....John Wayland

PC Magazine’s 2007 editors’ choice for best Web mail—award-winning Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_pcmag_0507
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Knowing that many folks on this list do not regularly monitor the EVDL, I thought this should be posted here.

Subject is electric drag racing and interview is about 30 minutes long.

Interview begins at about the 10 minute mark into the segment.

36MB MP3 here-
http://www.vinnysgarage.com/VG19.mp3

Enjoy!

~~~~~~

Roy LeMeur

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507
Sorry folks, this was intended for the SEVA and OEVA lists

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Knowing that many folks on this list do not monitor the EVDL, I thought this should be posted here.

Subject is electric drag racing and interview is about 30 minutes long.

On May 12, 2007, at 2:49 PM, Bill Dube wrote:

Magnetic fields are the same no matter how you produce them. The field produced by a superconducting magnet in persistent mode is indistinguishable from a permanent magnet.

If you change the direction of the flow of current periodically in an electromagnet, you produce an AC (alternating current) magnetic field. The faster you change the current direction, the higher the frequency of the AC magnetic field.

If you change it fast enough, you get radio waves. Go even faster, you get micro waves. Faster yet, you get infrared light. Faster yet, you get visible light. Boost the frequency even more, you get ultra violet light, then x-rays.

The reason I get so annoyed about these magnetic field fear mongers is that they group all frequencies of magnetic fields in the same basket. All magnetic fields are "bad".

All the theories on electromagnetic fields being harmful that I have heard are only for specific frequencies. Obviously visible light and the earths magnetic field are not harmful to Humans.
and for instance you agree that x-rays are harmful... don't you?

The magnetic fields in the passenger compartment of an EV are mostly DC fields. These have been proven to be completely and utterly harmless to people. There are folks that claim that DC fields are harmful, but they offer no scientific, peer reviewed, controlled studies to show proof that there is some sort of harm. They offer no sound theory as to how exactly DC fields would harm you. The scientific studies that have been done show that DC fields are harmless.

Bill a DC magnetic field is a persistent magnetic field and is not relevant to an EV because motors and controllers/inverters create alternating electromagnetic fields at different frequencies.

DC motors spin because the current is constantly reversed or alternated.
This is something from Wikipedia on how a DC motor works:
"When the armature becomes horizontally aligned, the commutator reverses the direction of current through the coil, reversing the magnetic field. The process then repeats."

That sound like an alternating field to me.

So the electromagnetic fields in question in this debate are not DC (static) fields, but rather alternating fields.

If there are any mistakes in what I have said someone correct me. - I'm sure someone will ;)-
I hope this clears things up.

Tehben