  1) Re: Noodling Lithium prices and batteries
        by "Jay Caplan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Noodling Lithium prices and batteries
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: EMF in EVs (and how to mitigate it)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Lectra controller blown
        by Jim Dempsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Noodling Lithium prices and batteries
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Vehicle efficiency, wh/mile - cruise control
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Charging timer
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Noodling Lithium prices and batteries
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Patrick Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Joseph Lado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by "Patrick Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: My Watt-hour / mile with comments on battery cycle life and DOD
        by "gary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: How does a 48v motor handle higher voltages?
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: EMF in EVs (and how to mitigate it)
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: BMS (Battery Management System)
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: magnetic field in EV car? Never ending story!
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Honda Hydrogen Fuel Cell BOYCOTT?
 20) Re: Lectra controller blown
        by Jim Dempsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: BMS (Battery Management System (Was: 1-Wire Expertise)
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: article: ZAP (OTC BB: ZAAP) Reinvents the Wheel with
  Advanced Electric Wheel Motor Technology Partner
        by Justin Southam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
11/58 = 14/74 , without math degree.
----------
reminds me of the old joke, guy at a fancy store folds and pins and turns a
piece of plain ribbon into a ladies' hat right in front of the customer, the
customer loves it, he says $200, the customer complains it's too expensive,
it was just a piece of old ribbon, so he pulls out a pin, gives it a big
yank, turns it back into a ribbon, hands it to her, "Madam, the ribbon is
free."

    Date: Sat May 12, 2007 10:06 pm ((PDT))

I work in the utility industry and there are power plants that
produce hydrogen as a by-product of the radiolytic decomposition of
water at ~ 2500 cubic feet per minute (1.3 billion cubic feet per
year per plant).  These plants purchase pure oxygen to mix with all
of this hydrogen "waste" and run them through paladium to get an
exothermic reaction.....in short they burn hydrogen as waste.  These
plants could be converted to harvest this hydrogen and perhaps
design them to produce even more hydrogen "waste".  There are things
going on behind the scenes that the lay person does not know.  Trust
in american ingenuity and don't fear the unknown.

Doesn't the Earth's magnetic field protect us from solar radiation?

The EV's magnetic field might be able to protect us from the radio signals the Dept of Homeland Security try to beam into our heads.

Danny

--
Patrick Robin
http://atelierrobin.net

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

I am approaching this from the other direction:
use as simple as possible electronics (a handfull
of resistors, opamp, powerFET and opto-coupler
to achieve the following functions:
- low voltage detect
  (so driver can reduce battery current and avoid reversal)
- high voltage detect
  (point where charger needs throttle back)
- current bypassing for equalization

The latter two are interconnected: high detect enables the
current bypassing.
Since I prefer a simple display on the dash, I will use
3 LEDs:
- red: low voltage on one or more batteries
- yellow: high voltage on one or more batteries
- green: high voltage on all batteries (end of charge)

The low voltage detect is somewhere around 10.3V at the moment,
the high voltage detect is 14.1V at room temp and compensated,
in the afternoon sun it drops to 13.9V (around 40 deg C) while
in the evening breeze it rises to 14.6V (between 10 and 15 deg C)

This temp profile follows the data I found from Bill Dube' about
Optima AGM charging voltages.
I plan to feed the "yellow" signal to my charger to make it
throttle back from its 10A to about 2A, which it then can hold
for a long time to finish charging and add 8% overcharge.

I will post a link to the schematic as soon as I have drawn
it, I just finished testing the breadboard.
Parts were cheap - I think I payed around $30 for the quad
opamps (one opamp per 2 batteries) plus opto-couplers, FETs,
some transistors, 2.5V voltage references, zeners, LEDs.
I did not include the cost of PCB, wires, resistors or
connectors, as I had all those in my inventory of parts from
other projects.

The way this regulator is setup is that it has a central board
with all the voltage comparators and opto-couplers, while the
power FET to bypass current sits on each battery + terminal
and can be controlled on/off with a single wire.
This makes the wiring mess become bearable, as each intersection
of two batteries needs a wire, plus the ends, so 27 wires
for my 26 batteries, plus the 26 Gate-drive signals for the FETs.
Each FET has a 1/2 Amp current limit transistor in its Source
circuit, to allow the gate drive to be on/off control.
That requires a grand total of 4 resistors and 1 transistor
next to each power FET. The FET bolts to a piece of copper
plate, which sits on the terminal and bolts down with the nut
that holds the cable lug (on the other side of the terminal).
The FET is the cheapest P50N06 I could find and dissipates
about 7W into the battery terminal.
(Rather low, but I did not want to overheat the terminal)

I really need to post some pictures...

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb