  1) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  2) Re: Charging timer
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Current Limit on ye-ol Curtis PMC 25
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters 400F 85-amps 5 seconds
 230 amps 1 seconds
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Electro automive's  914 ev kit
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: BMS (Battery Management System)
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: My Watt-hour / mile with comments on battery cycle life and DOD
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters 400F 85-amps 5 seconds  230 amps
1 seconds
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: My Watt-hour / mile with comments on battery cycle life and DOD
        by "Kip C. Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: magnetic field in EV car? Never ending story!
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Electro automive's  914 ev kit
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: BMS (Battery Management System)
        by Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Electro automive's  914 ev kit
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: ROY   Can't Thank you enought
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Charging timer
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Charging timer
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Doin' the math
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: My Watt-hour / mile with comments on battery cycle life and DOD
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) $30K EVs available in Italy and Switzerland
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: magnetic field in EV car?
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Orbitals vs. Optimas (was: Doin' the math)
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Current Limit on ye-ol Curtis PMC 25
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Washington State NEV's to go FASTER
        by jessielectric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Just wanted to ask cause I don't quite understand some of the electric
engineering stuff yet - I did a quick check to understand how much energy
a Farad is, and it's listed as an ampere-second. So using that, wouldn't
it take 10,000 Farads to put out a 1000 amps for 10 seconds?

Why is it the capacity goes down when they are put in series?

Thank you!

> Isn't that a cap for a 12V car system?  Probably like a 16V rating or
> whatever.
>
> Now also note that 10 caps in series, with appropriate charge balancing,
> can be a 120V cap- however, the total capacitance goes down by a factor
> of 10x.  So it would be an 8 Farad/120v bank.
>
> Last time we looked at audio caps, it sure wasn't enough to get far.
> Also calculate the max current in the cap (the foil plate would probably
> melt long before the 1 kiloamp range!) and the total ESR.  Caps will
> also generate heat generally straight by the ESR*(I^2).  At tens or
> hundreds of amps this can make a lot of heat but the case is incapable
> of dissipating much heat and they're often made of materials which won't
> sustain high temps.
>
> Danny
>
>>> Has anyone thought of using those audio capacitors to power a
>>> dragster EV? I found an 80 Farad capacitor by Pyle which in a 120Volt
>>> set up should give me about 10 seconds at 1000 amps. Five capacitors
>>> would cost about $2,500.00. They come with a warning that says they
>>> can explode. What is that about? What do you think?

On 5/10/07, Chris Tromley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm looking for a timer to put on the charger's AC side.  The fact
that the charger runs on a variety of input voltages and draws a
maximum of 28 amps is severely limiting my options.  The only thing
I've found so far is from McMaster-Carr:

Hi Chris,
 I am wondering if it's possible to stop the charger using the remote
control or regbus connector?  Then you would only need a logic level
signal from your timer (or thermal switch, or AH counter) to disable
it.  Such a timer would be easier to find.

Certainly it seems to be possible if you open the charger to access
the control board:

"Shorting pin 17 to ground will prevent the charger from putting out
power. This is the normal way to put the charger to sleep. The fans
will run and the lights will stay on but no power will flow."

On Mon, May 14, 2007 4:42 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Just wanted to ask cause I don't quite understand some of the electric
> engineering stuff yet - I did a quick check to understand how much energy
> a Farad is, and it's listed as an ampere-second. So using that, wouldn't
> it take 10,000 Farads to put out a 1000 amps for 10 seconds?

A farad is one ampere for one second at one volt. I should let more
knowledgeable people than myself respond to this, but I think this would
be true only if your load were able to draw a continuous 1000 amps,
regardless of the cap voltage which declines linearly during discharge. In
practice in an EV, the current from your batteries or cap bank would start
out low, approaching motor amps as you increase speed. (Horsepower, and
therefore battery current, increases with speed, assuming relatively
constant torque).

> Why is it the capacity goes down when they are put in series?

Google for "capacitors in series". For example, this page (the first hit)
has a good explanation:

www.play-hookey.com/dc_theory/series_capacitors.html

--
Christopher Robison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have a Curtis PMC-25 with a Prestolite motor in my Porsche 914 with 14ea STM5-180 Ni-Cads (700lbs @ 84V). When I go into reverse coming up my 30% grade out of my garage 5mph, the controller goes into current limit and then I hit the bypass contactor to get up and bang, up it goes. I would like a smoother way to exit my garage and was curious if there is a current limit pot somewhere on this PMC-25 controller (I don't see one). I also notice that when I get to speed it seams to do better with current limit indicating that it may need a series choke with the motor. Isd a series choke needed, about 100uH 300A to smooth the start pulses?

Thanks,
Mark Hanson
Roanoke, VA

Catch suspicious messages before you open them—with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I've been keeping my eye on supercaps, and a recent check shows Ness has a 400F 2.7volt, which can deliver 85amps for 5 seconds and 230 amps for 1 second. Isn't really too expensive either at $18 per 1000.
50 in series 120v, 20 in parallel, $18,000 would make a fast dragster.
But more interesting is using 50 or 100 of them for a 5-second 0-60 blast up to speed in a road car.

http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Nesscap%20URL%20links/ESHSR-0400C0-002R7.pdf

Jack

Danny Miller wrote:
[...]

I just  helped sombody install one of Mike Browns 914 conversion kits and have
to say how good these kits are . We did the instulation in 4 days and in the
end it looked better than any conversion I've done .  We had a detailed bood to
work from and all the parts where there. Mike had all the details worked out ,
down to how long to cut each wire .  This would make a great father and son
project , we worked on it non stop and had a few of those 4 am "  silly boys
laughing at the moon" experances . The kit went together  so will you just
couldn't stop working on it , and I only had 5 days till my plane left . Out
goal was to drive it to the air port when I let , 17 mile away . Last day was a
all nighter and at 7am we went for breafest to get a cycle on the batteries ,
back , charging , sleeping and to the air port by 1pm ,,, It ran perfect , Mike
Brown has done well and I would recomend this kit to anyone .. No welding
needed ,
Steve Clunn

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Guys, if you want to use fiber optic data communication, I've got miles of the stuff I garbage picked during a cable TV test lab redesign, new, still on the spools (the spools are around 100 lbs). What is the operating temperature range of the electronics you're considering? Some of us live in pretty nasty thermal conditions.

Marty
This drastic under utilization of capacity to extend life is for lead
acid for sure.
Does it apply equally across other chemistries? That could impact the
total cost of ownership/operation a bit.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Probably a naieve question, but when considering caps vs batteries, you are considering that voltage output of a cap drops linearly with discharge, unlike batteries? How much of that charge can you use before the voltage is too low to do you any good?

I like the idea of using caps for a quick pulse of current, but that discharge curve is ugly.

Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jack Murray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

----- Original Message ----- From: "gary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Steven Lough" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>