  1) Re: How regen works
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Best paint for Battery racks
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Best paint for Battery racks
        by Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Best paint for Battery racks
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: 15k DIY Porsche.  20k Installed.
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: 42 more to go!
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: 42 more to go!
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: 42 more to go!
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Honda Hydrogen Fuel Cell BOYCOTT?
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) PIR June 29-30 EV drag racing?
        by "Chuck Hursch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Watt-hour semantics question
        by Tom Gocze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Evlist public Calender and ev mailed faq needed
        by "Brandon Kruger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Reality check,  Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Best paint for Battery racks
        by "Timothy Balcer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Watt-hour semantics question
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: 15k DIY Porsche.  20k Installed.
        by Jeff Mccabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Best Conversion Vehicle
        by Dan Whitley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Best Conversion Vehicle
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Best Conversion Vehicle
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Using Audio Capacitors for Dragsters
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- My take is that as long as you aren't going down Lombard street in San Francisco on a fully charged AGM pack, charging current during regen is not too much of an issue.

Assuming you set your switching frequency high enough to be out of human hearing range (~16khz) you will likely be fast enough to avoid saturation.

Also, check out Richard Torrens' excellent site for some great info on Regen and controllers in general:
http://www.4qdtec.com/pwm-01.html#regen

If you are considering building a controller, his entire technical area is recommended reading! Lot's of neat stuff to be learned! He includes many schematics as well....

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "tt2tjw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Jorg Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 10:27 am
Subject: Re: 42 more to go!
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu, Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Date: Sat May 12, 2007 10:06 pm ((PDT))

I work in the utility industry and there are power plants that
produce hydrogen as a by-product of the radiolytic decomposition of
water at ~ 2500 cubic feet per minute (1.3 billion cubic feet per
year per plant).  These plants purchase pure oxygen to mix with all
of this hydrogen "waste" and run them through paladium to get an
exothermic reaction.....in short they burn hydrogen as waste.  These
plants could be converted to harvest this hydrogen and perhaps
design them to produce even more hydrogen "waste".  There are things
going on behind the scenes that the lay person does not know.  Trust
in american ingenuity and don't fear the unknown.

The problem has NEVER been one of generation, it is one of storage and
total energy. Any school kid can hook up a battery in some salt water
and make Hydrogen. The thing is, they just want to keep the 'pump'
infrastructure going, rather than let people plug in. Hence all the
fuss about Hydrogen. Its stupid.

After the EV-1 and friends debacle, I am not trusting the big makers
to make the right choices.

Hello All,

I will be in the Portland area the last few days of June.  I'll
be driving up there with my mom to visit with my brother and his
family, who will be out from the DC area to visit friends.  I
thought it would be fun for me to spend one of those evenings
watching White Zombie get in the hair of the gasser dudes (and
dudettes?).  Checking the PIR schedule on their website, looks
like there will be NHRA late night drag racing June 29 and 30.
Is WZ likely to be there then?

Chuck

Chuck Hursch
Larkspur, CA
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/339.html
http://www.geocities.com/chursch/bizcard.bmp
EVCN Larkspur 94939_1 Adopt-a-Charger sponsor (evchargernews.com)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- When one is analyzing the power consumption of an EV, are we considering what it actually uses (Volts x Amps per mile) at a given speed or do we consider the actual power used in recharging the pack? Obviously the latter is higher, but is a true representation of the real cost.

Just wondering.

Got a ton more old stuff to post. Just been dealing with other stuff this weekend. Will let you know when it is up.
Tom in Maine

I had created a shared Google calendar in hopes of making a single
place where one could find any upcoming EVent.  But I couldn't find
enough EVents and info to make the calendar useful.  Would anyone else
be interested in contributing to an EV calendar effort?  I can add
contributors to the calendar if anyone would be willing to add EVents.

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=ik3svk9pi4jlvmd4ej84ro5ea8%40group.calendar.google.com

Brandon Kruger

On 5/18/07, GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Has anyone thought to set up a google (or other) shared calender for
this list so all ev events worldwide can be more easily tracked?

With the volune of this list it is very hard to happen upon all the
right emails which announce events (many of which don't include location
such as the power dc one quoted below).

Also there should be an ev faq email that is resent once a week to the
list to give all the basic refrains and tech notes that are continually
rediscussed. It would be really helpful  to avoid long trains of
discussion that are repeated and should be long and fully enclusive
since it will only go out once a week.

____________________________________________________________________________________Be
> a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who
> knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming
and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

You know what I meant Lee. This is playing with words.

Going from 98% efficient to 99% efficient is exactly half way
to 100% (no losses at all). To achieve that you must cut losses
in half, right?. If something has half as much losses I called it
twice as efficient. May be this is not accurate statement, but something 99% efficient has twice as little losses as 98% efficient.
Mathematically it's not 98%*2=196%. It's (sqrt)0.98 or 0.9899
(approx 0.99).

It's like saying if I connect 90% efficient motor to 90% efficient
generator, since total loses double (2 units instead of one) total efficiency of the system now is half or 90%/2=45%.
Even first grader knows that it's 0.9*0.9=0.81 (81%)%, not 45%.

> But not "5 times higher efficiency", because that would imply going
> from 94% to 5x94% = 470% which is over unity and impossible.

C'mon, you know better :-) Same concept with 5 times more efficient thing: in a first approximation it is:

 new_eff = old_eff^(1/x) where x is "magnitude of improvement",

e.g. in case "5 times better" x=5, so 0.98^1/5=0.99596, or a thing
5 times more efficient than 98% is 99.596% efficient one, give or take.

You infinitely approach to 1 (100%) but never get there.

No marketing 470%, so I'd be disqualified from any marketing dept.
in a heart beat as incapable cheater :-)

But that's not how I was taught to do it. You can say "5 times lower losses", because the power lost was indeed reduced by 5:1. But not "5 times higher efficiency", because that would imply going from 94% to 5x94% = 470% which is over unity and impossible.

All of these suggestions will work, but the -best- you can get your
hands on is probably marine grade epoxy paint.

I'd suggest coal tar epoxy paint, but the darn stuff never really
dries. Shrugs off hazardous materials real well though :)

Both of which are very expensive and probably not something you'd need
to use for this! The advantage though is that both are somewhat
flexible, so flex would have less of a chance of affecting the
coating.

Tom Gocze wrote:

> When one is analyzing the power consumption of an EV, are we
> considering what it actually uses (Volts x Amps per mile) at a given
> speed or do we consider the actual power used in
> recharging the pack? Obviously the latter is higher, but is a true
> representation of the real cost.

It depends what one is interested in.  The Wh/mi consumed from the
battery reflects the energy efficiency of the vehicle, and allows
comparison to other vehicles for the prupose of determining if the
vehicle is performing as expected or not.

The Wh/mi ($/mi) from the wall reflects the energy cost of oeprating the
vehicle, and so allows cost comparisons with other vehicles, but is less
useful for determining if the vehicle is operating efficiently or not
since this figure includes the charge efficiency of the batteries, the
efficiency of the charger, etc., and will vary depending on the
particular batteries and charger in use.

I have been lurking for awhile and I too am considering an electric vehicle. If the 914 is not the best convert then what is? I am not a mechanic, so a kit sounds good to me!!!! Dan Whitley

[...]

Hi Guys,
    I never give up a chance to say that I think the
Gen 5 Civic sedan is best for converting:
1)  23-25,000 per month sold: lots of spare parts!
2)  Can hold 9 batts. in front, 9 in back: good weight
distribution.
3)  Strong frame: 850 lbs. cargo until you hit GVWR.
(see #2).
4)  Airbags.  And that's _before_ I get in the car.
5)  Low center of gravity: safe for lead.
6)  Need to upgrade the suspension now?  No problem.
Tuners have been doing it for almost as long as EVers
with this model.
I don't begrudge others their opinion on "which is
best", but lemme' tell ya': It worked 'fer me!
peace,

--- Dan Whitley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>

> > i'm a lurker, still in the dreaming stage with
> this, but i didn't
> > realize
> > their kits had that kind of range. i'm hoping to
> have the time to
> > seriously
> > begin tinkering this fall.
> >
> > the 914 seems to be a somewhat popular conversion,
> and electro's
> > kit may
> > have something to do with that.
> >
> > while i like the 914, i've been wondering if the
> boxster might be a
> > better,
> > more modern equivalent. what does the list think,
> too heavy? i've
> > seen beat
> > up boxsters selling for reasonable prices on ebay,
> and i'd imagine
> > that
> > parting out the ICE equipment would yield a nice

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Be a PS3 game guru.

Dan,

There is not one answer as to what is the best conversion to an electric
vehicle.  You have to consider your needs, preferences, and your driving
habits.  A 914 is great for some, others like a S10 size pickup truck,
and the list goes on from small to large, DC or AC motor, and power
options such as power steering, power brakes, air-conditioning.  A kit
is a great way to get most of the parts together at once, and have some
items, like a transmission adapter and hub out of the way.  Buying a
used EV is Even better than a kit because sometimes the price is right,
it is completed, and the owner may be able to give you some tips etc...A
used EV may only need new batteries, or a more powerful controller to
make it run better.

Any way you go, make sure it is a vehicle that you like, so you have a
good chance of completing it, and you will enjoy it when it is done.

Look at the EV Photo Album and see what you like.  Are there several of
them?  Any kits used?  Are the parts easy to find?  Is the range and
speed good for what I need?  Do they run on flat / hilly terrain like I
need?

Alan

> [...]

>>  the talk of what's available I'm begining to think that is a
>>  bargain. If you are a miser it will go 150 miles on the flat.
>>

> i'm a lurker, still in the dreaming stage with this, but i didn't
> realize
> their kits had that kind of range. i'm hoping to have the time to
> seriously
> begin tinkering this fall.
>
> the 914 seems to be a somewhat popular conversion, and electro's
> kit may
> have something to do with that.
>
> while i like the 914, i've been wondering if the boxster might be a
> better,
> more modern equivalent. what does the list think, too heavy? i've
> seen beat
> up boxsters selling for reasonable prices on ebay, and i'd imagine
> that
> parting out the ICE equipment would yield a nice payback.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Interesting concept, Lee. You mention a freewheel diode. Is a freewheel still necessary in this setup? If I'm understanding your description correctly, the field winding will be sending its current either through the armature winding, or through the MOSFET to ground, and the armatue will always be getting its current from either the battery (through the field winding) or from the capacitors. If a freewheel diode is necessary, then why, and where does it go?

Thanks.

Marty Hewes wrote:
That would be a very cool controller. Imagine being able to have 2 72 volt strings of 6 volt GC batteries in parallel to provide lotsa acceleration current without damaging the batteries, and then having the controller be able to boost the voltage for higher speeds. I suppose someone here has done a setup that does series parallel switching of battery strings to achieve this?

The 1974 International Rectifier SCR Applications Handbook describes a controller of this type. They ran a standard 72v series traction motor from a single 12v battery. An SCR controller was used, configured as a boost converter. The motor's field winding was the boost inductor. The capacitors normally present at the controller input were across the motor armature. As a result, input ripple current was high, but motor ripple current was very low.

The efficiency was low (about 70%) because the SCR's 1.5v drop and the freewheel diode's 1v drop were over 20% of the supply voltage. But it happily converted 12v at 100a into 72v at 12a. Interestingly, the series motor behaved almost exactly the same as it would with a conventional 72v pack and buck converter style controller. But since you could boost the motor voltage considerably above pack voltage, it allowed higher torques at higher speeds than a conventional controller.

Such a controller might be promising with today's low drop MOSFETs and schottky diodes.