  1) Best paint for Battery racks
        by Joe Buford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: 15k DIY Porsche.  20k Installed.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) Re: Please help,  Aircraft Generator starting torque issue.
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: 15k DIY Porsche.  20k Installed.
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: 42 more to go!
        by "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: FW: electric riding mower
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Main Contactor Ebay Search Criteria
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Best paint for Battery racks
        by Mark Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Triangle wave generator
        by tt2tjw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: How regen works
        by tt2tjw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Triangle wave generator
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: 15k DIY Porsche.  20k Installed.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 13) Re: Triangle wave generator
        by tt2tjw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Triangle wave generator
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Best paint for Battery racks
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Triangle wave generator
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Building a Variable Voltage, High Current Batt Charger
        by "Scott Littledike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
What would be the best paint to paint the battery
racks after cleaning and striping them?
Thanks
Joe

____________________________________________________________________________________Choose
 the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.
http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/

    Michael> while i like the 914, i've been wondering if the boxster might
    Michael> be a better, more modern equivalent. what does the list think,
    Michael> too heavy?

A Boxster's curb weight looks to be around 2850 lbs.  The 914 is around 2150
lbs.  GVWR is probably more important for this application.  GVWR for a 914
is a touch under 2700 lbs.  A little googling didn't turn up a GVWR for a
Boxster.

You are going to take more weight off of a Boxster when you dump the ICE,
maybe 100-150 lbs so you'll have a bit more leeway when tossing batteries
back into the chassis.  Should you need them I suspect the parts necessary
to handle the higher weight of the batteries (911 front struts, springs,
brakes, etc) will be cheaper for a 914.

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

HI-
It's been a few years but Fred Saxby set up my G-32
when we were racing boats.He disconected a small wire
(about 12 or 14 gage) from one of the brush holders. I
believe it  was color coded red. He just taped it off
back out of the way. I rember the low torque in reverse
problem when one of the racers tried to ues a G-32
in a boat with an opposite turning prop.
FT.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I used to own a 914 and they are great fun however there is one serious consideration to think about with them.

Remember unless the goal is a science experiment you probably want a USEABLE electric car in the end. That means some storage space and maybe more than two seats.

Alfter all is said and done you want a car that is functional. The only saving grace for a gas powered 914 which has NO back or space at all behind the front seats is the front and rear trunk (because the engine is right behind the seats so you have both a big front and back trunk) but when you add batteries in those trunks you no longer have that space.

If you want an electric go cart for fun then a 914 is a great electric car.

If you want a functional car that you can even put a few grocery bags in then an electric 914 is useless.

It will have NO storage space. And only one other seat.

It will seriously have NO Storage space. People really don't understand it until they use one for a while. There are NO nooks and crannies behind the seat - just a sheer firewall.
Something to keep in mind.

You would hate to spend all the time and money to make an electric only to realize you don't have a very day to day functional vehicle when you are finished.

You won't save gas or the environement if it is a car you really won't drive.

On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:05 am, Michael Wendell wrote:

 I was just looking at the www.electroautomotive.com site

that link is http://www.electroauto.com

 ...and their AC kit is around 15k with batteries.  After all
 the talk of what's available I'm begining to think that is a
 bargain. If you are a miser it will go 150 miles on the flat.

i'm a lurker, still in the dreaming stage with this, but i didn't realize their kits had that kind of range. i'm hoping to have the time to seriously
begin tinkering this fall.

the 914 seems to be a somewhat popular conversion, and electro's kit may
have something to do with that.

while i like the 914, i've been wondering if the boxster might be a better, more modern equivalent. what does the list think, too heavy? i've seen beat
up boxsters selling for reasonable prices on ebay, and i'd imagine that
parting out the ICE equipment would yield a nice payback.

thanks, i'll go back to lurking.

m.

Michael Wendell
Web/Graphics Guy
Speedgoat Bicycles

724.238.7181
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

100K and you're thinking you're going to set a record??  Think again.

You can see the records by going to youtube, clicking on the videos
tab on top, making sure the Browse on the left is set to "Most
Viewed", and making sure Time is set to "All Tine".

The winner, at 49 million views, is Evolution of Dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg

If you want to crack the top 10, it's pretty clear that you need
music, dancing, or at least a laughing baby.

On 5/21/07, Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I barely got to it when I read this and you were already 76 over 100k.
Anyone know how many views would be a record for You Tube?

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

www.elec-trak.org

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

Steve Condie wrote:
> how hard is it to add blowout magnets?

Not easy when the contactor wasn't designed for it.

The fundamental problem with this contactor is that it only has a single contact, like a relay; not two like a high-power contactor. Thus, it doesn't have the spacing between the off-state contacts to sustain high voltage. The contacts are physically large (good for high current), but bad for adding blowout magnets (because stronger ones are required to span the large horizontal distance).

It is designed from the ground up to switch high current at LOW voltages. I think the only practical way to use it in a high-voltage EV would be with several in series, all switched at the same time.

Try duplicolor truck bed coating available at Walmart or Autozone.  I used it
in my battery case and parts exposed to elements.  Very durable like Rhino coat
which will also work.

Danny Miller wrote:
> It is far easier to design a system- and do it right- with a uC.
That was the impression I came to after reading many application notes and reference designs (from IR, POWEREX, SEMIKRON, FAIRCHILD etc) for intelligent IGBT modules, and IGBT drivers, they all seem to be designed around a microcontroller.

Chet Fields wrote:
> it may not be a good idea as it may lock up and cause the MOSFETs to be stuck on the IGBT drivers I have looked at have integrated protection to deal with this situation, I was assuming that in a mass produced driver this function would be implemented correctly and reliably.

Danny Miller wrote:
That's pretty close to nonsense. IIRC the person claiming this has no experience with microcontrollers.

A uC is a fine way to generate a PWM signal. It is far easier to design a system- and do it right- with a uC. There's an awful lot to designing an analog controller. The analog controller has a lot more that can go wrong with it. You need a lot of inside information on how each type of component may fail to start to work the problems out.

It's important to understand however that being able to generate a PWM is only a small part of the design problem for an EV controller. The output transistors are large and expensive to obtain and very tricky to mount where you can meet their extreme thermal, mechanical, and electrical needs. The transistor driver, where we take 0 to 5v or whatever PWM and turn it into a transistor drive with the appropriate voltage level and best waveform shape is tricky too.

Danny

Chet Fields wrote:

I had thought first of using a microcontroller, but then good advice from the list suggested that it may not be a good idea as it may lock up and cause the MOSFETs to be stuck on. I don't really know of a good way to protect from that happening except for maybe some fuses or something. I did think that a microcontroller like a PIC would give me alot of flexibility though. I am a programmer professionally so I would definitely be more in my element instead of designing these discrete analog circuits, although I have to admit it has been and still looks like a lot of fun
if I can get it working.

I thought of starting with the analog and then moving later (perhaps) into the PIC if I can come up with the proper scheme to protect against a dangerous situation with a lock up.
Chet

--- tt2tjw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Chet,

is there any reason not to use a microcontroller with PWM outputs?

Chet Fields wrote:
I am trying to generate the triangle wave for the PWM circuit and I am using the good ol' 741
Op

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for earth-friendly autos? Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos' Green Center.
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

Thanks Phil,

this sent me in the right direction, "boost converter" on wikipedia,

I have learnt that;

back emf=V=dLambda/dt=L(di/dt) + i (dL/dt)
and since L is nearly constant
V=L(di/dt)

so if the switch is on for D.T seconds and off for (1-D).T seconds in every cycle and if the switching frequency is high enough to prevent all the energy stored in the inductor from transferring in one part of the cycle, then;

when the switch is closed
  deltaI=V.D/L
when the switch is opened
 deltaI=deltaV(1-D)/L
and so
 deltaV=V.D/(1-D)
or
 D=1-(V generated in armature) / (desired V to charge batteries)

I guess that (provided the switching frequency is high enough) the above is a good estimate of the required value of D to charge the batteries. Probably there are other variables too and also V generated in the armature will be changing. So, the charging current should be monitored, if too high then increase D if too low then decrease D.

Have I got the right idea?

(-Phil-) wrote:
If you use a switch (chopper) to "short" the armature momentarily, then the current that was flowing there has no where to go all the sudden, and begins to build up as a magnetic field in the armature. This is essentially "storing" the energy as inductance. Then the switch opens, and the magnetic field collapses, it's lines of force cutting back across the windings (just the opposite of what was happening an instant ago.) It induces a high voltage in the coils and that turns the freewheeling diode on and dumps the now (much higher voltage) into the battery bank. The switching is done very fast, so the magnetic field never reaches saturation.

This is the same principle used in a "boost converter" but rather than using a separate inductor, we just use the rather large (and very handy) one that's in the motor.

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "tt2tjw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>