  1) Re: New EV - Thorr roadster
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Ni-Cad Final Taper
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: New EV - Thorr roadster
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re:Go kart drag race safety vs mini-bike
        by Michael Haseltine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: AGNS misses 168 record
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: New EV - Thorr roadster
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: New EV - Thorr roadster
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Burnt out PM Motor?
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Power of DC raffle motor pics up
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Burnt out PM Motor?
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Solectra/Azure - A123 response + A Great Idea!!
        by "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Victor How regen works
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: How regen works
 15) Re: New EV - Thorr roadster
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: New EV - Thorr roadster
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Award winner!!
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Fast and Eff!!!  Re: White Zombie gets to 'test' drive Lithium!
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: AGNS misses 168 record
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) HTML (was Solectra/Azure - A123 response ...)
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: To Charge or not to charge
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) RE: How regen works
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice takes a ride in a Tesla
        by Bill & Nancy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Reality check, Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by "Mark Karatovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: plain text
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Reality check, Re: Permanent magnet motor question
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) RE: plain text
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Triangle wave generator
        by tt2tjw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Lancia Scorpion EV site finally up
        by Tony Furr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: How regen works
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
It's Norwegian.

The article is sparse on details, range 300 km, 190 miles. 180km/h top
speed, recharges in 3 hours. 0-100km/h in 6 seconds, 272hp, cost
990.000 kr = $160.000

"- Damer liker smarte menn. Og smarte menn kjører jo elbil,
understreker han." -Ladies like smart men and smart men drive electric
cars.

On 5/24/07, Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
All,

Here is short introductory video of Thorr - roadster EV
which will be marketed (with sufficient demand in USA too) by
EVISOL - Metric Mind's European partner:

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/bil/article1062524.ece

Sorry, interviews are only in North Germanic (or is it Danish?)
The vehicle has been successfully introduced in Norway already.

On this video Thorr has lead acid test pack. Production version
of course is lithium. Granted, AC drive; this version on the
video is standard 100 kW system.

I had privilege to drive Thorr while in Netherlands. Terrific and
fun vehicle, based on Lotus chassy.

I have to coordinate with EVISOL any additional info I can release.
Will keep EVDL posted.

'91 ACRX - something different

--
www.electric-lemon.com

> The manual says to final taper  current at 7.5A but
> I think that's a bit much, I'm at C/40 4.5A and they gas
> quite a bit.

That's their nature - they like to burp and belch and bubble.  You don't taper-
charge Saft nicads, it's constant current all the way, at least if you follow
Saft's instructions.

They tell you to start a timer and charge them 0.2C (36 amps) constant
current to threshold voltage (8.0 v/block).  When that happens you reduce the
current to 1/5 the previous value (7.2 amps) and reverse the timer.  When the
timer counts down to zero you have your 20% overcharge and you shut off.

There are periodic equalization cycles, commissioning charges, and a
watering cycle, but the above is all it takes for daily cyclic use.  Dead easy.

IIRC, Rod Hower developed a somewhat different algorithm for the STMs in
the TEVan, and he might chime in here.

If you don't have the manual for your STM5-180s, snag it here :

http://evdl.org/docs/STM5-180tech.pdf

I'm a little rusty on my Norwegian, but in the video it looks like the Subaru
won the test race.
Was there something in the interview that stated this was a lead acid pack and
that the lithium pack would kick the Subaru's butt?

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I understand completely, now. And can see that long narrow drag rails are advantageous for more reasons than traction and aerodynamics. It's too bad, because that cart was really hot.

Michael

The safety issues of go karts on the drag strip are not obvious, but quite serious.

It is all about traction, polar moment, and wheelbase. Karts spin and flip easily on the drag strip.

The traction on the drag strip is three times what it is on the street or a go kart track. When one rear tire loses traction, (hits a greasy spot) the other pushes the kart into a spin. The polar moment of a kart is tiny, and the sticky track gives huge force to the wheel with traction, so the spin is almost instantaneous. There is no time for the driver to react, lift the throttle, and steer the kart straight.

The kart is wide and short, so the rear wheel that has traction has too much leverage on the CG and can easily overpower the steering traction of the front wheels. Even if you steer quickly enough, the rear tire with traction has enough force to make the front tires skid sideways, so steering has no effect.

On the kart track, if the kart gets sideways, it just slides sideways. On the drag strip, the traction is so good that the tires dig in and the kart flips instead of sliding.

Thus, a small greasy section on the track is all it takes to spin and flip the kart because it happens so fast. A car with more polar moment, longer wheelbase, and narrower track might just weave a bit over the same greasy spot.

With a motorcycle, there is only one back tire. If it loses traction briefly, the bike still goes straight down the track. Losing traction briefly does not cause a bike to instantly spin and flip, like it will a kart on the drag strip.

It isn't at all simple, is it? That is why NEDRA originally allowed karts, because we didn't know any better in the beginning.

        Bill Dube'

At 11:13 AM 5/24/2007, you wrote:
All this excitement over the AGNS minibike reminded me of the gokart that was in the same league (12.102 sec. at 102.71mph) a few years back that blew my mind, and in tracking it down found that the NEDRA website says the gokart class has been dropped for safety reasons. Can it be any different than for minibikes? BTW, I'm certainly not thinking that the minibike class should also be dropped!! Rather the other way round.

--
Michael Haseltine

--
Michael Haseltine

I have several that are rated over 2Hp, but as Lee
says, how are you going to get 2HP out of a normal
wall socket anyhow.  So the rating is for low duty
cycles.
Anyhow, these treadmill motors are new, if you need
one paypal $20 plus $10 shipping in the US
Rod

--- "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G"

http://www.e-motorsonline.com/emotors/viewproduct_dcm.php?catid=2&Pid=
> > DC
> >> M00116

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Hey Shawn! Please don't break anything else before the race. And save us a few records too :-)

Actually, this is probably good. You are getting all the bugs worked out before the event. So OK, that's fine.

Good luck!

Chip

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: May 24, 2007 8:03:16 AM EDT
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: AGNS misses 168 record

Wednesday was a day of anomalies.

1. The Electropolitan twists up her driveshaft at 50 MPH.
2. A Bat reg catches fire.
3. Perfect weather in Thompson OH wih no wind, no clouds, and 87 degrees.
4. AGNS runs a 12.888 at 103, a 12.818 at 103, and a 12.888 at 103.
5. AGNS runs 95 MPH in the 1/8 only to fall on her face 3 times and limp to 103 MPH in the 1/4
5. A Zilla hairball fails after run 2 with a bad internal connection.

All in all just a weird but fun day. About the 168 runs:
It became apparent after 1 run that the 2 batteries I stole from the Metro to bump AGNS' volts to 168 were not on the same cycle path as the other 12. I cycled them through and brought up to temp 3 times before we went to track but after run #1 when I talked to Denis, looked at the time slip, measured battery temp, and watched the bats fill back up it was painfully clear they were not up to snuff. AGNS roared out to 95 in the 1/8th them fell asleep 3 times to finish at 103. Compare this to Saturday when she only ran 81 in the 1/8th and pulled all the way to 106 in the 1/4. My fault. We finished our first two runs at 7:30, recharged and were in line for eliminations when the hairball connection failed. We checked everything but could not get the main contactor off light to glow. By the time I found that the plug for the 2 voltage inputs was loose it was too late, we missed our turn and were out. Too bad because with times of 12.888, 12.817 , and 12.888 I would say we were dead consistent. We finally got a consolation run at 10:30 pm. I taped up the hairball to put enough pressure on the input plug to make it work and we ran exactly the same time again. Who wants consistently slow? Not me. Give me a 1/2 second breakout any day! A real life lesson that once again proves....
IT'S THE BATTERIES STUPID!

Shawn

I don't have a clue what was said in the video, but I hope it went
something like this: "This new Thorr roadster looks so cool, even at
slower speeds, that I do not have to be bothered with racing any gas
eating, pollution making........."  "Look, with only 12 volts of lead
acid, I can cruise along at...."

Alan

I'm a little rusty on my Norwegian, but in the video it looks like the
Subaru won the test race.
Was there something in the interview that stated this was a lead acid
pack and that the lithium pack would kick the Subaru's butt?

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

I didn't see any explanation. It was also unclear to me what the
distance was, perhaps they hit the upper speed limit of the EV, 112mph

On 5/24/07, MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm a little rusty on my Norwegian, but in the video it looks like the Subaru
won the test race.
Was there something in the interview that stated this was a lead acid pack and
that the lithium pack would kick the Subaru's butt?

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

--
www.electric-lemon.com

I have a 4 brush 24 volt 1.5 PM motor on my 22" mower.
I had run it initially on 24 volts but it got far too
hot. I now run it at 18 volts and it worked for a
couple mows.
However now it just has no power at all. Any tall
grass and it bogs down incredibly like the batteries
are dead. I even tried putting it back to 24 volts and
get the same results. Does this sound like I ruined
the motor in my initial runs at 24 volts? It is almost
as if the batteries are dead. They are freshly charged
batteries along with a brand new set of freshly
charged batteries I just purchased.
  It had been cutting wonderfully but now I can hardly
use it.

Hey all

I wanted to take a minute and post a couple pics of
this years Power of DC's raffle motor.  I finally got
her done and am shipping it to Chip today.  Nothing to
fancy but hopefully capable of causing a few EV grins
to the one whos name gets pulled 8^)

Chip wanted an electric blue so I chose a flourecent
blue (she might glow at night or under a black light,
hehe)  The camera doesn't show it's true color which
I'm really digging actually 8^)

Chip my man this is for you as honestly I had to cram
this little guy in, lol.  I could'nt stand the thought
of letting down someone who does so much for EVeryone.
On that, I hope she adds a little flavor and a touch
of green to help you pay for all that goes into an
EVent like this and keeps you motivated to continue
being such a valuable member of the community.  I hope
maybe she'll also motivate those close arm chair
lurkers to come on out and help support your efforts.
As I look at this motor about to ship, I'm wondering
if maybe I can throw 20 bucks at this via mail as I
wouldn't mind having this one myself, LMAO!

Anyway the pics are here.

http://www.hitorqueelectric.com/

Got to run.
Smack the winner up side his head and tell them they
better not scratch my motor, hehehe. 8^P
Cya

Much success!

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

If the motor was REALLY hot on 24Vdc there's a good
chance you demagnetized the PM field or at least
weakened it to the point of having much less
performance.  If this is the case, I would think it
still gets pretty warm at 18Vdc.  Also make sure that
the brushes are properly seated on the commutator and
not sticking in the holder.

Rod
--- Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a 4 brush 24 volt 1.5 PM motor on my 22"
> mower.
> I had run it initially on 24 volts but it got far
> too
> hot. I now run it at 18 volts and it worked for a
> couple mows.
> However now it just has no power at all. Any tall
> grass and it bogs down incredibly like the batteries
> are dead. I even tried putting it back to 24 volts
> and
> get the same results. Does this sound like I ruined
> the motor in my initial runs at 24 volts? It is
> almost
> as if the batteries are dead. They are freshly
> charged
> batteries along with a brand new set of freshly
> charged batteries I just purchased.
>   It had been cutting wonderfully but now I can
> hardly
> use it.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Not this again!! There are very good reasons why we limit this list to plain text, so Please desist making these suggestions to move or change it!!

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: May 24, 2007 8:03:16 AM EDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[...]

=0

On 24 May 2007 at 15:11, joe wrote:

> ... plain text ...

(and a few other choice words ;-)

SJSU listservers will probably never distribute html mail or attachments, and
for good reasons.  But Mailman is coming.  It handles html rather well : it
simply removes it, tweaks the headers so they say "plain text only," and
distributes the mail sans formatting.

David Roden
EVDL Administrator
http://www.evdl.org/help/

Can you explain this?  The few synchoronous rectification designs I've
studied used a second MOSFET to relace the diode.  I haven't seen any that
use a single MOSFET for both functions.

You are using two MOSFET's - it's just that both MOSFET's
need to be there anyways. Which MOSFET is a rectifier and
which one is a switch depends on the applied duty
cycle and the direction of current flow. At a 50% duty
cycle, with an ACIM stationary, each part will act as
a diode, then will switch to acting like a 'normal' MOSFET
switch half-ways through a PWM cycle.

IGBT's don't do rectification nicely - they need separate
diodes. But IGBT's are usually used in higher-voltage
applications so the added semiconductor losses are less of
an issue, and low-resistance MOSFET's are rare much above
200 volts.

-Dale

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- There was a mention on nbc news tonight that C. Rice rode in an electric car, no pictures or information about which car it was.
http://sparklepony.blogspot.com/
Bill

Efficiency in physics is defined as power out/power in. To increase
the figure by 5% implies that you are getting 5% more work for energy
in.

Car comparisons do this all the time where the marketing techniques
are developed already. Technologies for new engines claiming energy
improvements (20% more efficient) really are maybe only 2% overall
more efficient thermodynically in terms of heat energy in vs useful
kinetic energy out e.g 20% for an ICE means that the overall
efficiency may now only be 22% for the overall engine.

I think that the above is a lie simply due the definition my
university physics textbook suggests. It should say we are getting 20%
more work compared to before, not that it is 20% more efficient which
in case would be a 100% increase in work compared to useful work we
were getting before. It is correct if you say what you are comparing
to though, don't compare apples with oranges.

On 5/25/07, Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>
>> Anyway you slice it, 99% is approximately 5% more efficient than 94%
>
> Really? How do you figure? Is it because 94+5=99? I really want to know.

Efficiency is very well defined; output divided by input.  When expressed
as a percentage you multiply the result by 100.

(99-94)/99 =~ 5%
99% - 94% = 5%

The rules of math are very simply.  Twice means to multiply by 2,
increasing something by 5 means to add 5.

Perhaps the rules are different where you were educated, however, I
thought the rules of mathematics where universal.

As has already been pointed out, by your rules if someone was to claim
they had produced a solar cell that was twice as efficient as a 10%
efficient cell, it would have to be 55% efficient.
After all the losses on a 10% cell are 90%, so 1/2 of 90% = 45%, since you
are claiming that doubleing efficiency means the same thing as cutting
losses in 1/2

Unless you are claiming that the rules change depending on your mood or
desired outcome?  I find it hard to believe that any system of mathematics
has rules like that though.

> So what happens if I improve already 99% efficient design and make it
> yet 5% more efficient [5% improvement of that 99% gadget]?

But that is NOT possible, at least not in this universe.
99% + (.05 * 99) =~ 104%
There is no way you can improve a 99% efficient gadget by 5%.

You can reduce it's losses by 5%. But that is NOT THE SAME as improving
it's efficency 5%.
1/2 does NOT equal 2
1/5 does NOT equal 5

> It's percentage of percentage Peter. Unless I misunderstood you, indeed
> appears like common misconception but on your part. Please re-think
> or elaborate.

I don't know how I can put it more clearly.  If you are still having
trouble with these concepts, I'd suggest visiting a library and reading a
textbook on percentages

Sorry guys. I wasn't sure, if I was treading on sacred ground ;)
Maybe there are a lot of new members or something, but there seem to be a lot of emails that are not getting through.
Cheers,
Tehben

Mark Karatovic wrote:
Efficiency in physics is defined as power out/power in. To increase
the figure by 5% implies that you are getting 5% more work for energy
in.

Or the same work for 5% less energy in. We already settle on this.

I only associate efficiency with losses because they are always
inversely dependent: more losses = less work for the same input
= less efficiency. Halving losses does not double efficiency
mathematically, but it gets you exactly half way between current
efficiency and 100% efficiency. If it was 90% it becomes 95%.
You halved your losses. Of course you didn't double output,
but you got it half way (to 95%) to the ideal maximum it can theoretically be (100%).

My math is simple: 100% in and 90% out means 10% losses.
Half the losses to 5%. Now 5% more can contribute to the useful
output, and output is 90+5=95% of the input. 95% is HALF WAY
between former 90% and ideal 100%. Half way is 50% of what
you can ever do, (going 100% would be adding entire 10% to useful
output and so have 0% losses which is impossible). I didn't use
physical definition of efficiency, which is strictly speaking a mistake.
Sorry, it's difficult to express exact way of thinking let alone assuring grasping by others.

Peter wrote:
But that is NOT possible, at least not in this universe.
99% + (.05 * 99) =~ 104%
There is no way you can improve a 99% efficient gadget by 5%.

There is - you can improve any efficiency gadget by anything from
near 0% to near 100% *of what it takes to make it 100% efficient*.

Depends how you define it:

In your example your gadget is 99% efficient. 1% is losses.
Make this obvious: you feed 100W in and get 99W out. 1W is loss.
I was implying *this 1W* is 100% to work with (not entire input is
100% as is correct per physical definition): if you convert
entire lost watt to useful output you removed 100% (all possible) losses.

So you certainly can recover less than 100% of possible 1W recovery,
for instance 5% or 50% or whatever. Again, 100% is only remaining 1 watt (1% of original input), not entire input, I was trying to describe it that way.

So if you remove 5% losses you removed 50mW. If you removed 50% (of that watt) you removed 500mW which is 50% "improvement" compare to what it can possibly be.

In physical terms improvement is 0.5% because you take whole input as 100%. Again, I was trying to explain that I took only losses as 100% to work with. I could sure stick to second way to look at the same thing
(strict physical definition that 100% is entire input, not remaining
losses, but chose not to. Doesn't mean I don't know about it it or don't understand it. I agree: difficult to express this, let alone assure
others can grasp it.

But this is not important since no one on this list cares how I
(or anyone for that matter) think; it's a place to discuss EVs,
not personalities. Why am I trying to convince you that I know this stuff well enough that it serves me flawlessly for years? I really shouldn't.

You're right, I'm wrong. No problem.

Let it die.

Don't worry too much about it.  It happens when the price of gas spikes.
People figure it out though when they find this list has
good information.  It seems this list has been going plain text longer than
some of the other "fancy" boards I watch.  Its just
pure unadulterated EV info.  (OK maybe a little bit adulterated at times)

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

Dale Ulan wrote:
The guy who thinks he can take a PIC, a little 1amp gate driver IC, and a dozen MOSFETS and build a controller will have a bucket full of dead parts use every snubbing capacitor shown in the application notes exactly as shown in the app notes.

I wouldn't even attempt it if I didn't have a 100 MHz + 'scope.
Slowly ramp the input voltage and current up and watch for little
'hairs' during the switching periods. That is oscillation that'll
kill MOSFET's and IGBT's. tame all parasitics, then ramp up, repeat taming
the parasitics, etc.

-Dale

Dale,

Are you saying

1. your first attempt did not follow the application notes and resulted in blown parts then a subsequent attempt followed the application notes and was successful?

or
2.
your followed the application notes and still blew up parts then tested with an oscilloscope and tweaked the design so that it worked?

This may be a stupid question - I am a proto novice..... What do you mean by "tame the parasitics"? Do you mean that the switching of the IGBT causes noise in the control signal?

Tom Ward.

Greetings all-

The site for my Lancia Scorpion Elettrico is finally ready for prime- time. You can find it here:

www.plugzen.com

After finally making it to a SEVA meeting last month, I had new found inspiration to get this thing completed. It includes a journal that I try to update regularly and photo galleries I will continue to expand (especially with Gasless on Greenwood picks). I could also use some help filling out the links section if there are good EV info sources I've undoubtedly missed. There's also an RSS feed for those of you into the automated info thing.

Please check it out and let me know what you think...and send it along to anyone else you think might be interested.
-t

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- MOSFETs will conduct either direction when ON. One direction when OFF due to the body diode.

So Whenever you want to improve efficiency by taking the body diode voltage drop out, you can just switch the gate on and let it bypass the body diode.

Software can do this at the right time and you get synchronous behavior.

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>