  1) Re: Raptor 600 problem
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: How regen works
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: www.DriveCongress.com
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: www.DriveCongress.com
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: How regen works
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: www.DriveCongress.com
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) Re: Lancia Scorpion EV site finally up
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Heidi on Myers Motors website!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 10) RE: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Fast and Eff!!!  Re: White Zombie gets to
'test'=?iso-8859-1?B?CWRyaXZlIA==?= Lithium!
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by "Harry Houck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Heidi on Myers Motors website!
        by David Wilker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Heidi on Myers Motors website!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Video: Hybrid Technologies / Kokam
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: www.DriveCongress.com
        by "midiguy732" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Raptor 600 problem
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Raptor 600 problem
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Electric motor for air conditioning or power steering
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Raptor 600 problem
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- That inductive throttle sensor seems problematic. Do they have any way to verify proper range? Can you put a scope or frequency counter on it?

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew A." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: RAV4 EV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, EV Discussion <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: www.DriveCongress.com
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 09:15:40 -0700

This is the auto industries grassroots campaign to derail proposed new CAFE
standards. Go and leave a proCAFE message instead. Those idiots probably
don't proof them all (any more than they actually get read at the receiving
end). It may do no good, but I sure felt better leaving my note on their BS
website.

Here's my message:

I currently drive a Toyota RAV4 EV (electric vehicle).
It's EPA rated at 116 miles per gallon.
Now, Toyota stands with American automakers in their misguided fight to
derail attempts to improve our transportation energy situation.
Back in 1993, a company called Unique Mobility (now UQM on the ticker)
converted a HumVee to diesel-electric hybrid. This 8 ton vehicle could
travel 25 miles EV only, and with the engine running, got 30mpg.
Andy Frank/UC Davis, converted a Chevy Suburban to hybrid and it got 35mpg.
If these people (not automakers) can get this type of mileage performance
out of these vehicles, obviously the carmakers are lying and/or dragging
their feet.
Please support any and all efforts to strengthen CAFE standards and increase
minimum mileage requirements for US vehicles.
National security should trump automakers' bottom line- but will it?
Sincerely,
J. Marvin Campbell

--
MarvyMarv
aka

"The Stone Age did not end for lack of stone, and the Oil Age will end long
before the world runs out of oil."
- Sheikh Zaki Yamani

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. It’s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_MAY07
He's talking about the GGE or Gallon of Gasoline Equivalent.
That means if gasoline costs $3 per gallon, the RAV4 EV will get 116 miles on
$3 of electricity.

Of course the GGE only gets better as the price of gas goes up :-)  That has
EVerything to do with EV's :-)

> Wow, you have to put in 1 gallon of gas for every 116 miles you
> drive your
> RAV 4 EV.  That bites....
>
> Sorry, but gas mileage has nothing to do with EV's.
>
> Great idea, but wrong list :-)
>

> >From: Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: RAV4 EV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, EV Discussion
> ><ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
> >Subject: www.DriveCongress.com
> >Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 09:15:40 -0700
> >
> >This is the auto industries grassroots campaign to derail
> proposed new CAFE
> >standards. Go and leave a proCAFE message instead. Those idiots
> probably>don't proof them all (any more than they actually get
> read at the receiving
> >end). It may do no good, but I sure felt better leaving my note
> on their BS
> >website.
> >
> >Here's my message:
> >
> >I currently drive a Toyota RAV4 EV (electric vehicle).
> >It's EPA rated at 116 miles per gallon.
> >Now, Toyota stands with American automakers in their misguided
> fight to
> >derail attempts to improve our transportation energy situation.
> >Back in 1993, a company called Unique Mobility (now UQM on the
> ticker)>converted a HumVee to diesel-electric hybrid. This 8 ton
> vehicle could
> >travel 25 miles EV only, and with the engine running, got 30mpg.
> >Andy Frank/UC Davis, converted a Chevy Suburban to hybrid and it
> got 35mpg.
> >If these people (not automakers) can get this type of mileage
> performance>out of these vehicles, obviously the carmakers are
> lying and/or dragging
> >their feet.
> >Please support any and all efforts to strengthen CAFE standards
> and
> >increase
> >minimum mileage requirements for US vehicles.
> >National security should trump automakers' bottom line- but will it?
> >Sincerely,
> >J. Marvin Campbell
> >

> >--
> >MarvyMarv
> >aka
> >Mo'Nilla
> >

> >"The Stone Age did not end for lack of stone, and the Oil Age
> will end long
> >before the world runs out of oil."
> >- Sheikh Zaki Yamani

> Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i’m
> Initiative now.
> It’s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_MAY07

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- In the last 2 weeks, I think I have spewed it like 3 times.... I guess I thought everyone would know it by now!

http://4qd.co.uk/faq/index.html

Here is a MUST-READ as far as I am concerned if you want to learn this stuff:
http://www.4qdtec.com/pwm-01.html

Look for "Hi-side gate drive" in the above link to see one of the tricks used to generate the voltage needed to keep a N-type MOSFET turned on for the high-side drive.

If you find his stuff interesting he has a "member's only" area with details of his current controllers, including stuff like synchronous rectification. I think it costs about $20. Worth it!

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "GWMobile" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(Always good practice to keep the site url in the thread if people are still talking about it.)

On Fri, 25 May 2007 12:21 pm, (-Phil-) wrote:
There are all kinds of tricks. Separate supplies, Charge pumps, transformers, etc.

There are a lot of "cool tricks" explained on 4QD's site....

www.GlobalBoiling.com for daily images about hurricanes, globalwarming and the melting poles.

www.ElectricQuakes.com daily solar and earthquake images.

    damon> Wow, you have to put in 1 gallon of gas for every 116 miles you
    damon> drive your RAV 4 EV.  That bites....

    damon> Sorry, but gas mileage has nothing to do with EV's.

    damon> Great idea, but wrong list :-)

Well maybe, but the only figure the unwashed masses understand is MPG.  I
have no idea how the EPA arrived at 116 MPG, but it's a whole lot higher
number than 27 MPG (isn't that still the current CAFE "standard"?).

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Thanks Tony so very much for the kind words. It was an honor to help out a fellow EVer. Nice web presentation also. We will link to it once our new web site is up.

Roderick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Furr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: EV <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: Fast and Eff!!!  Re: White Zombie gets to
'test'  drive  Lithium!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 8:50:59 -0600

> So, doing the math....
>
> 165Wh per mile.
>
> 38 KWh per gallon_energy.
>
>38000/165 = 230 mpg_energy.
>
> $.10 per KWh.
> $3.10 per gal.
> == 31kWh per gal_$$
>
>31000/165 = 187.87 mpg_$$
>

>I'm not a mathemetician. I hope I didn't screw it too bad.
>I'm sure it will be corrected if I did. ;-)
>
>I will take any corrections as a learning experience, maybe
>improve myself 5% while I'm at it ;-)

        Sounds good to me. The problem is very little is
stable with wthr/mile changing with speeds, gas, electric
costs, sources, ect, so the best you can do is give ranges.
As they say, YMMV!!
       I got about 100wthrs/mile so at $.10kwhr here in
Tampa, it is about 100miles/$1 or $.01/mile electric/fuel
costs which at the present gas cost of $3.10 or so, gives
300mpg cost wise. I'll use it so it's easy to convert to
other EV's.
         Energy wise is tricky because electric source can
be from 30% to 60% for combustion E plants to almost 100%
eff from hydro, wind, ect, depending on how you count it. At
100wthrs/mile with 100% electric source eff, I'd get 400mpg.
You all can figure yours from that. For a 30% eff old coal,
oil plant it's about 150mpg. I mostly charge from 2 combined
gas turbine, steam from it's waste exhaust heat which hits
about 60% eff or about 250 mpg equivilent.
         Many probably run from 35-40% eff coal plants,  as
I do sometimes when not on Gas Turbines or nuke, which makes
it about 200mpg equivilent at 100wthrs/mile. Though I
sometimes run on a combined cycle coal plant hiting 60% eff,
the TECO Polk Plant if you are interested.
         And even that can be tricky because in real life,
wthrs/mile calculated for my Freedom EV run from
55wthrs/mile at 30-40 mph to 130wthrs/mile at 70 mph. YMMV
;^D
        A conversion that gets about 100wthrs/mile is John
Bryan's Karman Ghia so with work, it's possible.

>--
>Stay Charged!
>Hump
>I-5, Blossvale NY

] On Behalf Of John
>> Wayland Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 10:33 AM
>> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
>> Subject: Re: Fast and Eff!!! Re: White Zombie gets to
>> 'test' drive Lithium!

>> Yes, I agree that it's pretty good efficiency for such a
>> powerful car, but remember the drive was at slower speeds
>> through a 35 mph posted area
>> and a 45 mph posted area. It's easier to get good numbers
>> driving slower. As you know, whrs per mile go up at
>> highway speeds as aero drag comes into play, and highway
>> speeds are usually the way whrs per mile are figured.

     Yes, so true. You also had racing tires  which can eat
power.
     But with a little work, the 1200's aero could be
improved and may be a way for higher terminal speeds, lower
1/4 mile times.

>> White Zombie's twin 'Blue Meanie' has the losses of a
>> tranny to deal with, but weighing less at 2340 lbs. and
>> with its narrow LRR tires pumped up to 50 psi, it gets
>> about 165 whrs per mile at a steady 60 mph.

       That's dam good!! Too bad the smallest cars now are
2800lbs and higher.

>> White Zombie has no tranny losses, but it does weighs 240
>> lbs. more and has those not-so-range friendly fat rear
>> tires plus the drag of a Ford 9
>> inch differential's inefficient (but very robust) offset
>> pinion. I'd guess that with the rear tires pumped up to
>> 35 psi (drag racing psi is lowered to ~ 16) White Zombie
>> will probably consume 180-190 whrs per mile at 5

        Still not bad for a racing car/EV. Better than 95%
on this list I'd bet. Keep up the great work John.
                             Jerry Dycus

--- Begin Message --- Not complicated, as it really doesn't have to have a buck/boost stage. Just some timed switching and only at 120hz. Big dead-band. Not even a big concern to watch the gate drive currents at that speed.

An easy way would be to take an off-the-shelf 12v to 120v inverter and bypass the DC boost stage. Just use the output switching stage. They are dirt cheap nowadays.

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[...]

--- Begin Message --- Great idea, but some people, like those with allergies or athsma really suffer from hot humid air. The A/C not only cools, but also lowers humidity and takes out a lot of allergens with the condensate.

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Harry Houck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>