  1) RE: New Member and a Project
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: What batteries to use?
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) set ev mail postpone
        by "David Hrivnak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Another new member consulting list on a first time project
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  5) Re: Copper tubing & Silver Plating  for bussbars ?
        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Anyone heard from Electro Automotive these days?
        by Tim Kutscha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Anyone heard from Electro Automotive these days?
        by "Dustin Stern" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Another new member consulting list on a first time project
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Another new member consulting list on a first time project
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Anyone heard from Electro Automotive these days?
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Anyone heard from Electro Automotive these days?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 12) Re: Another new member consulting list on a first time project
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Transmission Question
        by "John J Januszewski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Another new member consulting list on a first time project
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: Another new member consulting list on a first time project
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Another new member consulting list on a first time project
        by "George Swartz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Zivan charger overvoltage?
        by "Al" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Lots of KillaCycle News
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) Starting business...
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Re: Starting business...
        by Steve Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Starting business...
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Starting business...
        by Dave Stensland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: FW: Transmission Question
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Timothy W. Foreman wrote:

> I like the looks of the Delta-Q QuiQ chargers. Any good place
> to buy them?

Off the top of my head, Canadian Electric Vehicles:

<http://www.canev.com/KitsComp/Components/Chargers.html>

And eTec:

<http://www.etecevs.com/>

(Note that while both advertise the QuiQ-dci model with integrated 400W
DC/DC in addition to the standard model, the -dci model is not presently
available as we are still waiting on a UL-approved connector for it.)

Chip Gribben wrote:

> So should I use Orbitals, Yellow Tops, Blue Tops, Hawkers or just
> stick with the 8-volt batteries again and do the usual swap
> out every year? Or I could just race with the 8-volters with a
> higher amp controller. The 8-volters do have some good pick-up
> after the pack is fully charged but they are heavy at about 67
> pounds each and a NEDRA record just is never going to happen with
> them.

What is your range with the 8V batteries (well, when they were healthy
;^)? (Ideally, how many Wh/mi does your Escort consume?)

You mention wanting 40mi minimum, and I wonder how much that differs
from what you have at present, and from how much you actually use on a
daily basis.

I could be mistaken, but I think the Raptor 600->1200 "upgrade" is of
the form you send in your 600A controller and receive a new 1200A unit
with some sort of credit for your old core.  Unless you upgrade to AGMs,
I don't think you'll get enough benefit from the higher current limit to
make it worthwhile due to voltage sag with the 8V floodies.  Even your
600A controller is capable of shortening their life if you take
advantage of it frequently.

With a Raptor 600, if you stick with the pack swap approach, you might
consider a lightweight racing pack of 16Ah or 26Ah Hawkers instead of
the heavier Optima or Exide batteries that you really can't fully
utilise.  If you were to move up to a Z1K or Z2K, then a string of
Orbitals for racing might make sense (and then turn the screws back down
for daily driving with the flooded pack).

Hello!

After reading EV boards for about 4 months non-stop, I cannot keep buying
gasoline anymore.  I live very close to all I need (well within EV range!) and
have been driving a 4 stroke honda scooter around during the warm months.  I do
NOT want to have to drive my car this winter!

Its time to convert!

I have located 2 rabbit converts that have bad engines in my area (albany NY)

I am looking at them sometime this week...what should I look for in the donor
cars?

I am mildly mechanically inclined.  Have been working on my ICE cars for 11
years.  I will need to rent a garage in the area to do the entire conversion!

I am VERY excited...this summer project could be so worthwile!

Thanks,

Anthony

I had the same problem reaching them back in February.  I know Ken at KTA
basically retired from working the hobbyist market, maybe EA did too.

Dustin

Date: Sun, May 27, 2007 20:17
From: "Peter Eckhoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
May 27, 2007

Transmission question

There are many people on this listserv who know the mechanics of cars
better than I, and I ask for your advice.  It's about the transmission
in my electric
truck.

I converted a 1988 Chevy S-10 pickup to electric in 2000.  It had
about 120K miles when I did the conversion, and I have driven it about
25K miles since.  The transmission is a 5-speed stick, made by
Borg-Warner, and I am
told
that it was a very common transmission for 1980's GM cars and small
trucks.  This is good.

I did nothing with the transmission when I converted it.  It was filled
with automatic transmission fluid, which a local mechanic said was OK.
However in a
couple years it started to leak through the rear seal and the gasket
between its two
main housings.  To minimize the leak, I drained the AT fluid and
replaced it with 85-weight gear oil.  This worked, reducing but not
eliminating the
leak, and I keep an eye on it never to let it get too low, though there
is a nice hard
oil spot in my gravel driveway now.

In the last year some things have gotten worse.  First and second gears
are noisy,
while third and fourth are quiet.  I
never use fifth. Reverse makes a grinding sound, louder than 1st or 2nd.
It is sometimes difficult to shift into 1st, 2nd, and reverse.  3rd and
4th are always easy.

I am unhappy with the noise it is making.  One of the main
characteristics of an EV is its silence, and the transmission, in 1st
and 2nd, is as
noisy as a
small gas car.

I will to pull the motor-transmission-clutch disk assembly and inspect
it.  Assuming I find nothing unusual, I am not sure what to do with the
transmission.  So
here are several questions:

As an electrical engineer who has the usual mechanics tools, but
nothing special for a transmission, am I competent to rebuild the
transmission?
Should I?
Should I take the  transmission to a transmission shop for an rebuild?
Is there one in the Chapel Hill-Durham-Raleigh area [of North Carolina]
that you
would recommend?  Can you
speculate on the cost?

Should I buy a rebuilt transmission?  A new one?  Costs?
What are the consequences of doing nothing?

EXCELLENT ADVISE

Thank you for your imput.  There aren't any 4 or 2 door Rabbits around right
now.

Anthony

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The Jeep CJ-7 I'm building is currently at 1600 lbs without the motor, trans and batteries, but the frame, brakes and running gear are designed for 4300 lbs GVWR. 50% batteries should be easy without reaching the design limits, even with my 200 lbs in it, if I can find room for the batteries, and enough cash.

Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Bath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sorry, but I have just a couple of issues on the post:
1)  The convertible VW Rabbit is actually _heavier_
than the equivalent hatch.  The reason is that without
the top, it loses structural integrity.  So someone
told me long ago that it had add'l steel underneath to
make up for it. Also, access to the batteries is more
limited, IIRC.
2)  How one can get to nearly 50% GVW in batteries is
beyond me.  Examples?
Good luck with your decision(s),

--- George Swartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Bob,  my hands on experience is pretty old, and I apologize for it.  I have
built and worked on a number of conversions and a couple of groud up EV's
where we, as a goal, tried to get 50% GVW in batteries to maximize range.
Using old technology lead flooded batteries (hard rubber cases, no less) ,
we typically got 60 miles or more on a new set of batteries and we came
pretty close to the magic 50%.  One interesting vehicle was a drivable
chassis made as a demo vehicle for Copper Development using an AC cobra
chassis and a 2000lb battery pack.

You can play mathematical games, and assume that the car weighs nothing and
is all battery.  This yields the maximum theoretical performance of the
battery alone, which for lead, is kind of dismal.

I guess what I was trying to say, is that if one is making a conversion and
wants high performance, this means a higher percentage of GVW in batteries.
In my opinion only, convertibles are a higher risk than closed bodies when
manufacturers maximum GVW is going to be exceeded, even with the underbody
strengthening that convertibles receive.  Its only one of many
considerations in choosing a body for ev conversion.

On Mon, 28 May 2007 20:11:09 -0700 (PDT), Bob Bath wrote
> [...]
> > > the donor cars?
> > >
> > > I am mildly mechanically inclined.  Have been
> > working on my ICE cars
> > > for 11 years.  I will need to rent a garage in the
> > area to do the
> > > entire conversion!
> > >
> > > I am VERY excited...this summer project could be
> > so worthwile!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Anthony
> >

> Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
> has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
> Learn more at:
> www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
>                         ____
>                      __/__|__\ __
>   =D-------/    -  -         \
>                      'O'-----'O'-'
> Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the
> steering wheel? Are you saving any gas for your kids?

--- Begin Message --- Hello fellow EVer's. While my truck was recharging the other day, I decided to check the voltage across one of the T-125 batteries. I got a reading of 8.18 volts! That works out to 2.73 volts per cell! Isn't that too high? What would be the proper finishing voltage across a pack of 20 T-125 batteries? Thanks for any comments. Al
See!!!
It just keeps getting better and better!

See you at the Power of DC!!

Ken

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Starting business...
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:03:39 -0400

Hey all, this is a bit premature, but I thought I would throw this out there for some feedback.

I am starting a business producing electronic stuff for EVs. My intention is to help the EV world and build myself a retirement business. It will certainly take some time because I still have a "day job", but, this is what I have been doing at my "day job" since the 80's.

I have named it Hot Juice Electric and have started a "beginners" website. http://www.hotjuiceelectric.com.

Comments, suggestions, advice???

Ken

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. It’s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_MAY07
I wish you lots of luck. Here some quick suggestions...

1) Please turn off the pop-up ads on your website.
2) Add some additional contact info... city, state, etc.
3) More details about your products... availability, specs, prices, etc.
4) Add a title to your home page.

-Dave

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hey all, this is a bit premature, but I thought I would throw this out there for some feedback.

I am starting a business producing electronic stuff for EVs. My intention is to help the EV world and build myself a retirement business. It will certainly take some time because I still have a "day job", but, this is what I have been doing at my "day job" since the 80's.

I have named it Hot Juice Electric and have started a "beginners" website. http://www.hotjuiceelectric.com.

Comments, suggestions, advice???

Ken

I recognize those symptoms...

You have a T-5 and the input shaft bearing is worn, shot, or missing.

I say missing because the "first" time I replaced mine we could only find one
half of one of the balls. The rest of the bearing had been pulverized by the
transmission. It is a common industrial bearing. Find a replacement by size at
a local merchant. It will be stronger and cheaper than getting a replacement
bearing from your local GM Dealer.

In my truck ('94 Silverado), the input shaft bearing was good for about 30,000
miles. It actually doesn't need the bearing. But, like you said it is noisy as
hell without it. Some will say that I am nuts suggesting it doesn't need the
bearing. But after the third bearing went bad I got the attitude that I am NOT
REPLACING that F..ing bearing again. Went well over 60,000 miles with it shot.
Yeah, it was noisy. Got rid of that truck a year ago with 207,000 miles on the
ticker. That bearing was the ONLY major malfunction up until I parted with it.

It's still on the road......

--
Stay Charged!
Hump