  1) What is it?
        by Don Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: What is it?
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: More fun stories from the shop/Looking at a used EV tomorrow!
  4) Re: new EV for me (well, a Golf Cart really...)
  5) Re: ISE and Altair Nano - Li-Ion Packs for Heavy-Duty Vehicles
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: What is it?
        by Don Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: ISE and Altair Nano - Li-Ion Packs for Heavy-Duty Vehicles
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: ISE and Altair Nano - Li-Ion Packs for Heavy-Duty Vehicles
        by "Myles Twete" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: ISE and Altair Nano - Li-Ion Packs for Heavy-Duty Vehicles
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Controller without caps
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) What Inductance is (was: Controller without caps)
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Zilla controller insides
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: ISE and Altair Nano - Li-Ion Packs for Heavy-Duty Vehicles
        by =?windows-1252?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: ISE and Altair Nano - Li-Ion Packs for Heavy-Duty Vehicles
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Car Trailer Rental
        by Bill Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) [Fwd: Electric Vehicle questions before my purchase]
        by JS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: ISE and Altair Nano - Li-Ion Packs for Heavy-Duty Vehicles
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Car Trailer Rental
        by John Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: ISE and Altair Nano - Li-Ion Packs for Heavy-Duty Vehicles
        by Marcin Ciosek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Car Trailer Rental

At 09:24 AM 6/2/2007, Don Bowen wrote:
Can anyone tell me anything about this electric postal delivery vehicle?
http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/images/electric.jpg

From the DOT code on the tires it was made in either 1980 or 1990. There are no markings other than the word "ELECTRIC." I could not find any sort of builders plate but there may be one under the dirt. It does have a gas heater. There does not appear to be much room for a battery bank in the front but I could not open the panel in the back.

I am considering taking this on as an interesting project.

It's a Comuta-Van.  72V System.  6 batteries in front, 6 in back.
Contactor controller - 3 speed (36V w/Resistor, 36V, 72V) combined with a 3 speed transmission. Gives a fairly smooth speed control.
(You might be able to tell that I used to have one.)
I was getting about 20 mile range at up to 45MPH.
Lee Hart claims both higher speed and better range.

--
John G. Lussmyer      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dragons soar and Tigers prowl while I dream....

If you are in N. California you might consider the Electravan in Santa Cruz.
Lawrence Rhodes.......

Well top speed on these things is the cruise speed you are meant to floor it
all the time.  15mph isn't too fast.  If mom wants to go slower put an
altrax or curtis in it.  Not hard to do.  Lawrence Rhodes....