  1) Replacement or addition to EV's
        by Dirk Ouellette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: More fun stories from the shop/Looking at a used EV tomorrow!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) Re: Question: Suitable Late Model Donor Vehicles
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) One from Alaska too  (was RE: More fun stories from the shop)
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) 100 mph street motorcycle !!!!!!!
        by "ROBERT GOUDREAU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Valence batteries (Was: Mustang Conversions)
        by Chris Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: new EV for me (well, a Golf Cart really...)
  8) Re: Electric Hummer
  9) Re: Question: Suitable Late Model Donor Vehicles
 10) Re: ISE and Altair Nano - Li-Ion Packs for Heavy-Duty Vehicles
        by =?windows-1252?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: ISE and Altair Nano - Li-Ion Packs for Heavy-Duty Vehicles
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Electric Hummer
        by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jukka_J=E4rvinen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Question: Suitable Late Model Donor Vehicles
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Ian Anderson on electric cars
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Question: Suitable Late Model Donor Vehicles
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Mustang Conversions (Was: How to search archives)
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: new EV for me (well, a Golf Cart really...)
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Controller without caps
        by "Dale Ulan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: ISE and Altair Nano - Li-Ion Packs for Heavy-Duty Vehicles
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Put some potatoe soup in your tank. _http://link.abpi.net/l.php?20070531A21_

Similar!!!

I love the way ANYONE I tell of the Electric car reacts.  "No gas?",  is always
the first question!

Seeing and driving my first EV tomorrow!!!  Test driving a '94 Solectria for
possible purchase.

Any suggestions?

Anthony

Thanks Jim, I needed a good hard laugh. It helps take the hurt away from being
*bumped*  I'll just spend the weekend schlepping
the grease off the old ugly Pinto to make room for the 3 Dutchman shafts I'll
have on the car. Poor pinto will have two in the
rear and one in a motor, heh, heh. :-O

But you go have fun mountain biking and teasing Otmar with John's shaft. Don't
be giving him any ideas either by heating it up
first.  We don't need any flaming hamsters copycats popping outta Zilla's
scaring people, he he ;-)  (That would actually make a
good pic too) No WZ tatoos either.

Oh yeah the UPS boy.  Thats too funny. Maybe you could tell him you built
motors for the UPS' answer to Gone Postal, and that its
the fastest Brown truck in the history of the company; heh, heh.   I had a
wierd one too this weekend.  Pulling all the ICE junk
off the pinto and a lady walks by my house with her dog. She says "nice Pintos"
 (because I have two in the driveway).  Now I'm
normally not real open with people unless I know them a little.  Even if they
sound nice enough I usually want to talk with them
before I start spilling my guts.  In a slow motion way I kinda hear myself
saying "yeah I'm turning it into an electric dragster".
And at the same time I also hear my other side saying back to me "that probably
sounds pretty dumb to a lady walking a dog in the
pounding wind who happens to know what a Pinto is and only commented that they
were nice."  After the dualing monologues in my
mind I see the lady who has already turned her head back to watching where she
was going, stop on one foot, kinda turn her head
with that "what did you say" look.  Then she spun all the way around and
started walking back and said "what did you say".  Kinda
freaky like I insulted her or something.  I was hoping she didn't
mis-understand and think I was offering to show her my shaft
(thats only something Jim would do). Then she says "you're going to turn that
into an electric drag car?"

I affirmed to her that what she heard was correct.  Big smile and she said her
and her husband were racers and were actually
trying to find an electric car to buy.  She said they have a Prius right now
but wanted to go for full on efficiency. Not words
you typically hear from people claiming to be drag racers.  So then it gets
even better, she tells me her son was the track
manager last year and that they go all the time, in fact they were heading
there for the season opener right after she was done
walking the dog.  To wierd.  She did say they were without a car last year and
for kicks took the Prius up to see that it would do
19 seconds.  So she started asking questions about EV's and so I turned her
around and showed her under the hood of the
Electrabishi; answered all sorts of questions.  Coool. Gave her a copy of the
C&D article and some contact info I have printed on
business cards. Sent her to Plasmaboy's site with all the videos too.

Got an e-mail from her yesterday that said she was telling everyone at the
track what I was doing and that everyone was already
psyched up to se it.  So now I have to be sure to get the car going by at least
the end of the season to make an appearance at the
track.

But hey, you go ahead and enjoy your jaunts with Otmar and the boys.  And leave
John's shaft at the shop.  I'll finish gutting the
fugly old Pinto ;-P

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

Nick Austin asked, "I'm surprised your range is only
35 miles with this setup.  If your pack is 15Kwh, then
that means your using ~430Wh/Mile.  Is that correct?"

My pack is currently delivering closer to 14 kWh in
its current state, and with the way I'm using it, thus
averaging ~394 Wh/mi.

Nominally at 154V average and 100 Ah, I should get
15.4 kWh.  However I'm averaging >100A discharge rate,
so at .072 ohms total pack internal resistance, that's
<147V, and yes, that's 720 watts warming up my
batteries...

And I only got 94 Ah out before the first cell stayed
below 2.9V and the low voltage warning light stayed
on, which I considered to be the end of the usable
range.  A couple of miles and Ah later the first cells
dropped below 2.3V and tripped the error signal, so I
guess you can say I got 96 Ah out.  Almost all of the
rest of the cells were below 2.9V by then.  Seems
reasonably close to me, considering what I'm doing to
them.

So 94 x 147 = only 13.8 kWh, or 394 Wh/mi at 35 miles.
 Not sure how much of that 4% drop below rated Ah is
due to the high discharge rate vs. cell charging
imbalance vs. cell capacity inbalance vs. thermal
breakdown after almost a year.  I am expecting 4%
capacity drop annually per their thermal breakdown
spec but hoping for less, being only ~60 degrees F
average here in Santa Rosa, CA vs. 73 degrees per
their test conditions.

I will retake these measurements every 6-12 months and
post them on my website, along with my efficiency
improvements and their impacts.  The next big projects
are to get a higher ratio rear axle to get the takeoff
revs and thus efficiency up (by far most of my loss is
in acceleration), and to fix my broken clutch so I can
use it again and not loose so much precious momentum
after waiting several seconds for the motor to slow
down enough to shift.

Chris Jones
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/733

I'd check to see if the system is really working.  Many times the first
contactor will give out.  That could account for the jerkey acceleration.
If you have an affair that looks like a coil spring with taps & a few
contactors they are very smooth when running well.  It's just a way of going
from 0 to 15 without burning up a big contactor.  It's really best to be in
the "top" contactor at all times.  At any other speed you are burning amps
rather than twisting the motor.  So floor it with impunity.  Lawrence
Rhodes...

Roderick at ev parts has converted many a vehicle.  Even a Land Rover.  The
problem is the ratio of heavy motor plus the extra batteries & bigger
controller puts the price up.  There is no reason not to convert a large
vehicle.  It will just cost more.  Lawrence Rhodes.